• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: female player model is in. Genital lottery begins again.

Dremark

Banned
I mean, precisely the reason you're asking is the answer. What's not to get?

People can choose thier gender IRL. It honestly seems kind of arbitrary to not be able to do so in a game where things like surgery and hormone treatment wouldn't be needed.

Not that I personally have an issue with it, but I could see why some people would aside from the "I don't want to play as an icky girl and get cooties" people.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
This just wouldn't be the game you would want to do that. People don't want to go on like some sort of guilt trip while just trying to have fun. Like damn.

Rust is a survival sim. People with disabilities exist, and like gender and race, many are caused by the genetic lottery Rust is simulating with the SteamID based RNG.

It wouldn't be guilt tripping to have a character generated that for example, wasn't able to run, or was colour blind, or deaf. It would make it harder to survive, sure, but that's the point.

The idea of not controlling what you're given to survive is an interesting one, at least to me. Now time to actually boot Rust up to see what the RNG has in store for me.

Rust is a survival sim. People with disabilities exist, and like gender and race, many are caused by the genetic lottery Rust is simulating with the SteamID based RNG.

It wouldn't be guilt tripping to have a character generated that for example, wasn't able to run, or was colour blind, or deaf. It would make it harder to survive, sure, but that's the point.

The idea of not controlling what you're given to survive is an interesting one, at least to me. Now time to actually boot Rust up to see what the RNG has in store for me.

That would actually be interesting to me as well. I don't see it being something they implement though, because it would likely lead to balance issues, unless they tweaked the probability so that "fully able bodied" is rare or nonexistent.The handy thing about the current changes is that all the differences are cosmetic and don't affect you in terms of what you can do within the game.

The funniest thing is the game is first person and you'll rarely see yourself. I don't think there are even fully functioning mirrors in the game.

Ok. But the character dies. Why are you the same every spawn? That's not how life works.

Stop It

Ok. But the character dies. Why are you the same every spawn? That's not how life works.
Are you saying this to discredit my post or say that you want to see the RNG rolled each time you die and start again? Because I'd fully support that idea. New life, New you.

Or as above, permadeath.

Edit, actually people would just kill themselves until they got what they wanted, so permadeath it is.

Seems more like an argument to support no respawning than one in service of your point. By the way, what's your point again?
So this game should be one life and you unistall like that other game? Stupid gimmick. Also you can die in one minute.

Or you never die? What? Death is the whole point of this genre.

What's my point? Random generation that ignores death is stupid. Can I look past it and enjoy the game? Yes. But it's still stupid.

Are you saying this to discredit my post or say that you want to see the RNG rolled each time you die and start again? Because I'd fully support that idea. New life, New you.

Or as above, permadeath.

Edit, actually people would just kill themselves until they got what they wanted, so permadeath it is.
New life new rng is a good idea.

Stop It

So this game should be one life and you unistall like that other game? Stupid gimmick. Also you can die in one minute.

Or you never die? What? Death is the whole point of this genre.

What's my point? Random generation that ignores death is stupid. Can I look past it and enjoy the game? Yes. But it's still stupid.

New life new rng is a good idea.
Or, you just die in the server you joined, plenty of others. Which by the way would only be required if you don't accept the whole one roll and that's what you're stuck with thing. Which is fine, but that's how the developer wants it.

pottuvoi

Banned
6zRGgFd.png

lmbo
Cannot wait to see comments when update brings transgenders as possibility..

This is seriously annoying people? Wow... None of them are MMO players, that's for sure. I'll always be a woman!

Most male MMO players I know when you ask them why they play a female characters tell me something along the lines of. "Well I don't want to stare at a dudes ass all day."

MrGerbils

Now, i'll preface this by saying I haven't played Rust at all, but I find the fact this is all automatic to be a bit offputting, in a multiplayer sandbox game like this (or any game where a character creator is available) I like to try and create myself. I have no problem if it's a pre set character, but when customization is a option, I like to make myself.

Either way, Rust doesn't really appeal to me too much, so I doubt i'll ever be "affected" as such.

Well you're in luck, in Rust, customization isn't an option.

So people are okay with playing the most generic whit e dude ever, and running around with a bunch of people that look exactly the same. But throw in some variance and shit gets real.

Personally, I wasn't super against it, but I always thought it temporary due to the state of the game (played way way back). I personally gave up on it years ago anyhow.

Drazgul

Do all the females look exactly the same, or just the ones that got posted here? I know it's a WIP but still, I'd be more annoyed by that than anything.

Pepboy

HALF the population don't identify with their gender in real life? HALF? What utter bullshit. It must be about 1% at most.

So left-leaning it hurts. Leave this nonsense out of games, please.

I think they are referring to the female playerbase that was forced to play in game as male for a long time... I think. However, ironically, it seems that this change would impact that group of players the most -- females who have wanted to identify with a female avatar for a long time but who are still unable to.

I think this move will generate a fair amount of press and may get people to install the game again to see "what gender did I get?" In addition, without gender being randomly assigned randomly, you might be worried about harassment of players who opt for female avatars, but now there may be less of it? In the end it seems 50% marketing, 25% gameplay, and 25% company ideology to me.

Seems like it will generate a lot of interest among players for a short while. May even boost sales among people who were on the fence or who want to support transgender awareness. But those casual players will mostly leave and I imagine they will "undo" the change in a few months to generate even more press and get spurned players back in the game.

However, I think they underestimate the long term detriment this will have on their company. People who feel cheated by companies have long memories. If the early adopters who paid $20 were expecting to choose their own gender in the final version of the game, but are no longer able to, they may feel like the company lied to them.

We have seen this happen before, with Double Fine / 22Cans and their kickstarters. DF-9 shutting down and delays in Broken Age have now resulted in a backlash that has stuck with them. Same with Godus and 22Cans. This gender lottery move may help in the short run, but they risk losing the goodwill of a number of players who were already invested in rust and the company.

Chev

If the early adopters who paid $20 were expecting to choose their own gender in the final version of the game, but are no longer able to, they may feel like the company lied to them.
They never were told they'd be able to, that's the thing. People who expected that were only lying to themselves, and/or didn't mind because they were sure to be guys before women were implemented.

We have seen this happen before, with Double Fine / 22Cans and their kickstarters. DF-9 shutting down and delays in Broken Age have now resulted in a backlash that has stuck with them.
3.8 millions for Psychonauts 2. The backlash is imaginary, people are still throwing their money at Double Fine.

Right, okay. That's fair enough then. But why not just let people choose their gender? This just feels like a stunt or trolling and people who don't want to play as an opposite gender must be 'sexist'.
Why should the developers have to censor their creative vision because of outrage? If people are offended by the game, they don't have to play it.

MrGerbils

HALF the population don't identify with their gender in real life? HALF? What utter bullshit. It must be about 1% at most.

So left-leaning it hurts. Leave this nonsense out of games, please.

As for the game itself: interesting idea. Although it does seem - especially with those comments - that they are just trying to deliberately troll or annoy people to make a political point. If they actually wanted people to enjoy the game, they'd just let people use a character creator like any other game out there with variable avatars rather than a scripted main character.

Ugh so tired of this outrage culture calling for censorship of an author's creative vision.

Let the artists create the games they want and stop trying to censor them with your outrage.

Acerac

Banned
People can choose thier gender IRL. It honestly seems kind of arbitrary to not be able to do so in a game where things like surgery and hormone treatment wouldn't be needed.

People can't just pick and choose what gender their bodies have irl and switch them with no effort involved. The fact that you're stuck with what you get is kind of the point, in Rust's setting these treatments wouldn't exist.

If you're just stating that many don't identify with the gender their bodies are, that is, once again, the point of the whole thing.

Basketball

I think they're probably going to cave. I thought the game was f2p. The game clearly has some kind of feature race body custimization so since the game is in EA I think some kind of creator would be a feature that might be introduced. Reading the thread and posts it seems not only males are pissed but some female players don't like the changes as well.

This is a social experiment guise can only go so far especially when folks are paying money, refund policy etc.

Most male MMO players I know when you ask them why they play a female characters tell me something along the lines of. "Well I don't want to stare at a dudes ass all day."

That's the easy answer so people don't keep asking questions... I know I used that one because it's easier than explaining that I just prefer playing as a female character (because people inevitably want hard reasons).

I never pretended I was a girl behind the female avatar though.

I think they're probably going to cave. I thought the game was f2p. The game clearly has some kind of feature race body custimization so since the game is in EA I think some kind of creator would be a feature that might be introduced. Reading the thread and posts it seems not only males are pissed but some female players don't like the changes as well.

This is a social experiment guise can only go so far especially when folks are paying money, refund policy etc.
This has been a thing they've done for years with other attributes (race, dick size, possibly others). Why would sex characteristics be the one that causes a cave?

Apath

I think there a distinct difference between a game that has the option for variety but forces specific characteristics on you, versus a game with only a single option without the other choices developed. In that, I do not agree with many of the comparisons posted here.

Maybe that's just me, though.
This has been a thing they've done for years with other attributes (race, dick size, possibly others). Why would sex characteristics be the one that causes a cave?
My guess is that they identify more with gender than the other characteristics. That or they are just extremely misogynistic.

They never were told they'd be able to, that's the thing. People who expected that were only lying to themselves, and/or didn't mind because they were sure to be guys before women were implemented.

This announcement was many many many months ago. This isn't a surprise to anyone following the development of the game, and if you're buying an early access title, I'd assume you'd want to be following the development.

If they didn't back down on random penis size, then random race, they are not going to back down on random gender (and the next step is random facial and body features which they also won't back down from).

Wallach

Haha, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for these guys to change their minds.

moggio

Banned
I think they're probably going to cave.

They won't cave. Garry loves winding people up.

The game clearly has some kind of feature race body custimization so since the game is in EA I think some kind of creator would be a feature that might be introduced..

Race, gender and other physical features are randomised based on your Steam ID.

Reading the thread and posts it seems not only males are pissed but some female players don't like the changes as well.

They can go play another game if they don't like it. Otherwise tough-titty.

This is a social experiment guise can only go so far especially when folks are paying money, refund policy etc

What the developers have to say:
“We are in very early development. Some things work, some things don't. We haven't totally decided where the game is headed - so things will change. Things will change a lot. We might even make changes that you think are wrong. But we have a plan. It's in our interest to make the game awesome - so please trust us.”

Also interview with Garry about the game: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/25/8841003/rust-penis-size-garry-newman-interview

moggio

Banned
Pyrion is currently Streaming this:

https://www.twitch.tv/pyrionflax

He thought that forming an army of subs would make it easier to dominate the map, but it hasn't quite worked out as he planned. As the number of people grew it has become harder and harder to keep track of who is who, and nefarious individuals have infiltrated their camp. Also the camp has been understand sustained attack, especially when people log-off, so they've had to work shifts to protect the compound as people sleep.

Pyrion is currently Streaming this:

https://www.twitch.tv/pyrionflax

He thought that forming an army of subs would make it easier to dominate the map, but it hasn't quite worked out as he planned. As the number of people grew it has become harder and harder to keep track of who is who, and nefarious individuals have infiltrated their camp. Also the camp has been understand sustained attack, especially when people log-off, so they've had to work shifts to protect the compound as people sleep.
Working shifts always seemed like the logical way to handle that "always on" aspect of the game to me. But I guess you need a sizable crew of people, possibly worldwide for a better time zone spread.

Platy

Cannot wait to see comments when update brings transgenders as possibility..

People unhappy with the character's sex should be able to make a quest that fix this .... slowly and not the genitals... maybe even keep the same body structure.

Do you, sexist player, rather have a cis woman as a player or a small stature man with a vagina ?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Right, okay. That's fair enough then. But why not just let people choose their gender? This just feels like a stunt or trolling and people who don't want to play as an opposite gender must be 'sexist'.

Where were all these calls for the ability to change gender back when everyone was male? This is where I see the problem.

Before this change happened, the Steam forums were not full of pages upon pages of people asking for the ability to change genders. No one (in relative terms) cared that you didn't have a choice of gender until female characters were added into the game.

You really don't see any sexism there? Honestly?

How many of the people complaining in Steam forums and the like considering moving on to a different game before doing so, I wonder? I'm betting like under 10%.

Top Bottom