• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: female player model is in. Genital lottery begins again.

Mista Koo

Would be a cool idea if it was F2P. For $20? No thank you, not gambling
Gambling implies that you can lose.

I probably hastily worded that since I was on mobile earlier. What I mean is, when I went looking for a game a couple years ago, RUST was a sandbox-y obvious-beta game where everybody was a weird naked dude. Ok, whatever, sounds good. It's on sale, maybe, I'll try this out.

But now if I was looking to buy a game RUST is 20 bucks and there's the chance when I buy it that's I'll end up a completely different race and gender than I am and there's just nothing I could do about it. And the "choice" is made retroactively for me already owning the game, too. Maybe it's shallow, but when i play games that are sandbox-y or have any sort of character creation, I like to play as something close to "myself."

I wouldn't buy RUST at 20 dollars today, and I probably won't even launch the copy I already own anymore, because something really fundamental about the way I enjoy the game has changed and it doesn't appeal to me anymore. Part of this is also the user base and the more violent, vocal and younger reactions to this whole thing that you can't get away from online. It was bad enough when this was just about dick size.

It doesn't matter though, because they already had my money, and that feels weird.
My condolences. But hey, now you can empathize with people who can't play as someone their gender/race in most games they buy :B

A-V-B

Looking at the images, what actually stands out as kinda sucky is that everyone has the same face. It'd be cool if they looked different. But I guess that's just Rust's style?

Looking at the images, what actually stands out as kinda sucky is that everyone has the same face. It'd be cool if they looked different. But I guess that's just Rust's style?

Game is still early access, looks are not finalized (genders however are)

Kuraudo

Banned
This is incredible.

I wonder how much more angry people will become if it's pointed out that, as someone who identifies as a male and who has been assigned a female avatar, their in-game persona is technically transgender.

Some choice comments I found.

CfpN3fBUMAAkHE1.jpg
CfpN35gUAAAFwNF.jpg
CfpN4R2UEAARh05.jpg
CfpN4r-VIAE6rgV.jpg

On one hand, this is hilarious. On another, it fucking bums me out that dumb fucks like these constitute a substantial portion of the gaming community.

This is incredible.

I wonder how much more angry people will become if it's pointed out that, as someone who identifies as a male and who has been assigned a female avatar, their in-game persona is technically transgender.

.... As soon as I get off work, I know what thread I'm making on the steam forum for the game.

Dremark

Banned
My interest in fantasy RPGs drops tenfold if I'm not able to pick orc as a playable race. I'm completely serious too.

Racist.

Seriously though, if you liked your character prior to this change I can see why it kind of sucks when they change it on you.

It would have been better IMO if it had male/females day one rather than changing it on people. Although from the couple of comments I've seen in this thread it doesn't look like that's why these people are angry.

emiliano

I like what this developer is doing, but the genre doesn't interest me in the slightest. I would love seen this concept applied to rpgs or fighting games.

edit:
Well, to elaborate a little, what I would like to see randomized aren't just the aesthetic attributes, but more than so the parameters that change dramatically how you must play that game (example, being a warrior when usually like to play as a wizard, or being a super-quick rushdown char when you are usually a grappler player in FG's). I think this could work in a f2p model at least.

I probably hastily worded that since I was on mobile earlier. What I mean is, when I went looking for a game a couple years ago, RUST was a sandbox-y obvious-beta game where everybody was a weird naked dude. Ok, whatever, sounds good. It's on sale, maybe, I'll try this out.

But now if I was looking to buy a game RUST is 20 bucks and there's the chance when I buy it that's I'll end up a completely different race and gender than I am and there's just nothing I could do about it. And the "choice" is made retroactively for me already owning the game, too. Maybe it's shallow, but when i play games that are sandbox-y or have any sort of character creation, I like to play as something close to "myself."

I wouldn't buy RUST at 20 dollars today, and I probably won't even launch the copy I already own anymore, because something really fundamental about the way I enjoy the game has changed and it doesn't appeal to me anymore. Part of this is also the user base and the more violent, vocal and younger reactions to this whole thing that you can't get away from online. It was bad enough when this was just about dick size.

It doesn't matter though, because they already had my money, and that feels weird.

So you might now experience what it is like to be a woman when you get those reactions, and you're scared. Interesting. That's what women have to go through on a regular basis, and not just in online videogames.

Wiped89

HALF the population don't identify with their gender in real life? HALF? What utter bullshit. It must be about 1% at most.

So left-leaning it hurts. Leave this nonsense out of games, please.

As for the game itself: interesting idea. Although it does seem - especially with those comments - that they are just trying to deliberately troll or annoy people to make a political point. If they actually wanted people to enjoy the game, they'd just let people use a character creator like any other game out there with variable avatars rather than a scripted main character.

HALF the population don't identify with their gender in real life? HALF? What utter bullshit. It must be about 1% at most.

So left-leaning it hurts. Leave this nonsense out of games, please.

The devs are referring to half of the population not identifying with game characters.

Leave your reactionary nonsense out of games, please.

patapuf

If the majority of their playerbase wasn't ok with this, the online community of Rust would be dead. And yet it's in the top 10 most played games on steam.

Seems like most are just fine with the social experiment the devs are running.

You average balance patch produces just as many angry message board posts.

I absolutely love this random genetics concept, the rage it produces is beautiful. I mean, it's worrying to think that the people that are upset about not being white/male/well-endowed actually feel this way, but I'll just chalk that up to immaturity.

It would have been better IMO if it had male/females day one rather than changing it on people. Although from the couple of comments I've seen in this thread it doesn't look like that's why these people are angry.
But it will be that way on day 1.... The game is early access...

"Gambling" is what we're calling it now? You know the game plays the same regardless right? There is no "lose"...

Some people don't like games where you don't get a choice in avatar. It isn't free to play it's his/her earned money. Gambling in the sense of he could be wasting his 20 bucks if he wouldn't enjoy a female Avatar?

Don't see the issue honestly

ZanDatsu

I wonder if this kind of game attracts a younger audience. I hope that is the case, it's the only way I can reconcile some of the responses I've seen to these changes.

Spwn

This feature almost sold me on Rust. I might pick it up the next time it is on sale. The fact the players seem to be so immersed to the role of a caveman is fascinating!

Some people don't like games where you don't get a choice in avatar. It isn't free to play it's his/her earned money. Gambling in the sense of he could be wasting his 20 bucks if he wouldn't enjoy a female Avatar?

Don't see the issue honestly

You're free to like, dislike, and spend money on whatever you like, but if a 100% aesthetic thing like not having a digital dick that'll be covered in clothes most of the time and that you'll hardly see since there is no third person camera is what's going to keep you from enjoying a game you'd normally like, you aren't allowed to be offended when it's pointed out how silly it is.

Spwn

Here's a suggestion: If a player rolls a female character model, there's a "add penis" button that changes the shape of the avatar's head – permanently.

You're free to like, dislike, and spend money on whatever you like, but if a 100% aesthetic thing like not having a digital dick that'll be covered in clothes most of the time and that you'll hardly see since there is no third person camera is what's going to keep you from enjoying a game you'd normally like, you aren't allowed to be offended when it's pointed out how silly it is.

Is it silly if a female hates games with no female options?

Or is this one if those things where like since the white male has so many choices they have no right to complain kinda things?

Just curious

Personally I don't do survival games or care about rust. But whenever I play an open world sandbox type game I try and create someone as close to me as possible it's how I role-play

Prisen

There has been a lot of outrage earlier about the lack of female/black etc. protagonists in gaming. This is kind of the same thing. Not that I care but it's obviously a position held by a very vocal crowd of people.

Is it silly if a female hates games with no female options?

Or is this one if those things where like since the white male has so many choices they have no right to complain kinda things?

Just curious

Personally I don't do survival games or care about rust. But whenever I play an open world sandbox type game I try and create someone as close to me as possible it's how I role-play

If the female would otherwise enjoy the game, but is completely turned off because the only option is male, yes that is silly.

As a white male, I think it's absolutely silly that you act as if being a white male has anything to do with it.

I think the whole thing is rather juvenile honestly. It's just a bunch of pixels, ones and zeros, the fact that it's enough to make some people turn to hate speech is confounding.

moggio

Banned
Oh, I didn't realize the game was still in early access. That changes things.

It probably never won't be Early Access but the game is very playable (if a little unoptimised) and updated every week.

PyrionFlax has been streaming it on Twitch recently. Him and his subs have formed their own enclave. It's an interesting social experiment especially since Pyrion has gone power mad.

Here are some highlights from the first time he played on stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfCz-X0L4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IO30UExSPA

Of all these "types" of games, Rust is by far the best in terms of emergent gameplay from the mechanics and the interaction between players.

Some of the reactions on this thread and elsewhere highlight why the randomised gender and genitals was a great idea.

If the female would otherwise enjoy the game, but is completely turned off because the only option is male, yes that is silly.

As a white male, I think it's absolutely silly that you act as if being a white male has anything to do with it.

I think the whole thing is rather juvenile honestly. It's just a bunch of pixels, ones and zeros, the fact that it's enough to make some people turn to hate speech is confounding.

No no, I'm not supporting or condoning the gross hate speech or outrage

Just saying that it's reasonable to pass on a role playing style game if it can't be done with the character type you play as

If elder scrolls 6 had rusts random rng character picker I'd probably pass to

Half of Rust players didn't identify with the gender of their Rust avatar. Previously because everyone had a male avatar and 50% of players are female (presumably). Now because it's randomized so there's a 50% chance you'll get your real-life gender.

They're not saying anything about real-life identity or even any other video games.

Wiped89

Half of Rust players didn't identify with the gender of their Rust avatar. Previously because everyone had a male avatar and 50% of players are female (presumably). Now because it's randomized so there's a 50% chance you'll get your real-life gender.

They're not saying anything about real-life identity or even any other video games.

Right, okay. That's fair enough then. But why not just let people choose their gender? This just feels like a stunt or trolling and people who don't want to play as an opposite gender must be 'sexist'.

Tenebrous

You know what I mean. I'm a guy in real life, but I more often than not to play female characters when given the choice. When given a random character to play with, I don't think I could give any less of a shit, and I can barely believe people would be/think otherwise... Well, alright I can, but it sucks.

Top Bottom