• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: female player model is in. Genital lottery begins again.

Gbraga

I like the randomized aspect a lot, but I don't know how I feel about the reroll. They kinda go against their own idea of "you're stuck with the looks RNGesus decide to give you, deal with it".

Unless it's an early access game? Then it's fine, I suppose.

EDIT: Ok, it's early access.

Why does everyone look exactly the same in this thread? What a shitty RNG.

nicolajNN

This is one of those survival games with perma-death, right? So after you die, do you roll a new character look, or is it the same every time? Sounds like the latter based on this thread.

Anyway, the first thing that popped into my head was that you could probably make a pretty penny by adding micro transactions for character re-rolls.

Pikelet

Yeah lets all laugh at the white guys having to play as black men or women and rage about it. Meanwhile someone who is black or a woman maybe gets stuck playing a white dude yet again. That steam thread has enough comments stating as much.

You are conflating the dev's reason for creating this system with the way that some forum posters have reacted to it.

I think it's brilliantly subversive, and extremely interesting from a social commentary and thematic standpoint. I'm of the opinion that one of the main purposes of art is to promote empathy, and Rust is really exploring new territory here.

The empathy also works both ways - there will be black women who get to experience something of what it is like to be a white male in society. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with that.

This is not the same as being forced into playing a white male character as you do in the majority of blockbuster titles. The fact that this is completely random means that the situation is fundamentally different.

I'm fascinated to see how this plays out.

I guess this is a new development in the Great Online Gaming Gender War. Most people on both sides of the War won't play this game but will still argue about it.

DireStr8s

It's a roll of the dice though, like in life, you don't get a choice and that's precisely what they're going for.

So, among other things, It's a fate simulator. At the expense of often under representated people who'd maybe like to determine their own fate for once. A carrot on a stick gated by RNG. Not the most impressive statement imo.

Maybe they should give you the choice between female and randomized. xD

Oh my god, that would be beautiful. "Hey guys, we've listened to your feedback and decided you were right and we should let you pick your gender."

Player: "Awesome! Thanks!" *goes to play*...."WTF!?"

Then they come back and rage harder on the forums.

DSix

Banned
CfpN4r-VIAE6rgV.jpg

Too deep.

Pikelet

So, among other things, It's a fate simulator. At the expense of often under representated people who'd maybe like to determine their own fate for once.

At worst, minorities might be forced to play as a white male character. The vast majority of videogames that are created already fall into this category!

This one is at least randomly (and therefore fairly) assigned, and has the potential to positively affect how people view race and gender.

I would love to hear an opinion on this from someone who would be considered a minority. I want to see a real example of how people react, rather than these hypothetical scenarios that keep getting brought up.

At worst, minorities might be forced to play as a white male character. The vast majority of videogames that are created already fall into this category!

This one is at least randomly (and therefore fairly) assigned, and has the potential to positively affect how people view race and gender.

I would love to hear an opinion on this from someone who would be considered a minority. I want to see a real example of how people react, rather than these hypothetical scenarios that keep getting brought up.

I'll keep it short, but basically I love the idea from a game perspective and I don't feel left out at all. In fact, the RNG stuff is a great reminder at how the luck of the draw is when it comes to genetics (barring things that can or will be passed down, of course).

I think this is perverted and sick but hey who am I to say *shrugs*

What's sick about becoming a woman and/or different race in a video game, possibly?

Kilau

Gold Member
This game's community seems very toxic. Which is kinda surprising to me considering this statement.

Technically nothing has changed, since half the population was already living with those feelings. The only difference is that whether you feel like this is now decided by your SteamID instead of your real life gender.

That seems quite diverse unless I'm misunderstanding.

StoneFox

I think the most hilarious comment I read was "I'm quitting this game. It's too weird to hear a man's voice coming from a woman model and it's stupid that that can happen."

Like, you mean all the times when women had to speak through male avatars? I don't play online games but I imagined this happened a lot.

The thing is, aside from the equipment menu, you can't even tell while you're playing... There is no third person camera (except admin accounts on privately owned servers)

The absolutely best part of this is how so many of the players are racist, sexist little turds. Forcing them to play in these ways is so satisfying. I know its a bit vindictive, but rust has always been filled with what essentially amounts to 4chans POL.

The Adder

Banned
But now if I was looking to buy a game RUST is 20 bucks and there's the chance when I buy it that's I'll end up a completely different race and gender than I am and there's just nothing I could do about it.

Welcome to not being a white dude while playing the vast majority of video games.

That line from the dev, what are they referring to?

"We understand this is a sore subject for a lot of people. We understand that you may now be a gender that you don’t identify with in real-life. We understand this causes you distress and makes you not want to play the game anymore. Technically nothing has changed, since half the population was already living with those feelings. The only difference is that whether you feel like this is now decided by your SteamID instead of your real life gender."

Is this supposed to be some sort of message about feminism, or trans gender? Because I don't understand the highlighted part.

Edit: Oh I see, so it's in reference to the video game industry and how it forces everyone to play as a white male? Well, funnily enough, most open world RPGs don't, and I doubt Rust offers the character driven narrative to justify removing that freedom from the player. Aside from a marketing gimmick, is this feature meaningful?

Compsiox

Banned

"We understand this is a sore subject for a lot of people. We understand that you may now be a gender that you don’t identify with in real-life. We understand this causes you distress and makes you not want to play the game anymore. Technically nothing has changed, since half the population was already living with those feelings. The only difference is that whether you feel like this is now decided by your SteamID instead of your real life gender."

Is this supposed to be some sort of message about feminism, or trans gender? Because I don't understand the highlighted part.

They had random race and penis sizes before

You used to be able to play only as a guy. So half the population (women) couldn't play as their real gender.

Acerac

Banned
Edit: Oh I see, so it's in reference to the video game industry and how it forces everyone to play as a white male? Well, funnily enough, most open world RPGs don't, and I doubt Rust offers the character driven narrative to justify removing that freedom from the player. Aside from a marketing gimmick, is this feature meaningful?

It's very interesting to many of us how some find it infuriating to be forced to not play a white male. If nothing else it's a delightful little social experiment.

Fredrik

Its almost as if nobody has ever heard the phrase "walk a mile in another person's shoes." Honestly I can't even play this game atm but I want to buy a copy just to support what Facepunch is doing. I love everything that is happening here 200%.

As hilarious as it is for white straight male racists to have to play black females, I also like the idea of women or men of different races having to play characters that are completely unlike them. That's the whole point! Its complete and utter equality enforced by the system. No discrimination whatsoever! Its perfect!
Yup, it's like life itself, you're simply stuck with whatever God/dev gave you. I haven't played the game but I like the idea.

A racist role-playing their hated race can get ugly really quick though, i:e doing really dumb stuff, talking funny/with an accent etc. But maybe the devs can ban people who run around mocking their character?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well, funnily enough, most open world RPGs don't, and I doubt Rust offers the character driven narrative to justify removing that freedom from the player.
they aren't removing any freedom from the player. they couldn't choose their avatar's gender before, and they still can't.

Aside from a marketing gimmick, is this feature meaningful?
what kind of meaning is necessary for having randomized male and female characters that isn't necessary for just having a randomized male character?

they aren't removing any freedom from the player. they couldn't choose their avatar's gender before, and they still can't.

Okay, they're not removing it, but they are restricting the users freedom by not allowing that possibility.

What benefit does the game get from that? An equal gender distribution perhaps? Does that genuinely benefit the game in any way? Is there any merit to this other than the amusement had from others frustration?

Unless I'm mistaken people like to use this type of game as a platform to role play, as they do in similar open world games like Arma, Arc, etc. this seems really restrictive for that type of player.

Okay, they're not removing it, but they are restricting the users freedom by not allowing that possibility.

What benefit does the game get from that? An equal gender distribution perhaps? Does that genuinely benefit the game in any way? Is there any merit to this other than the amusement had from others frustration?

Unless I'm mistaken people like to use this type of game as a platform to role play, as they do in similar open world games like Arma, Arc, etc. this seems really restrictive for that type of player.

Then that type of player can play arma or arc... It's clear the creative decision was on Gary and that this was a known change incoming for a long time.

Not every game will be for everyone, and if this small change drives people away and cuts off any new audience... Well the market will have spoken and Gary can figure out if he wants to change it, continue on, or start a new game.

I'm a white female, so I don't know if I wholly qualify as a minority, but as I mentioned earlier, I think the randomization is pretty cool.

When given the choice, I virtually always choose to create a female character. Most commonly other white ladies, but sometimes black, asian, etc., or other fantasy races with whatever skin color suits my fancy. Still, I have a hard time thinking of any time when I've chosen to play a dude when the option was there.

With that said, I don't have an issue with Rust's system.Would I want every game to implement a randomization system instead of a character creator? Not at all. But this particular game, in this genre? Sure. And it is, again, a first-person game. You're not going to be staring at your avatar all the time and having that detract from your immersion, if that's an issue for you. Outside of whatever equipment/loadout screen people are posting screens of, and whatever comments other players make to you, it doesn't seem like your character's physical appearance is really much of a factor.

Odrion

Banned
They should add blind characters.
I know that this is a joke, but I think that would be very interesting. Ot deafness, or walking disabled, etc.

It could get people to think about disabilities in a different light.

I guess you couldn't really do it in a game you have to pay for before you get to play it. Well, you could, but no one would support it.

But if it was free to play, that'd be neat.

Roshin

It's amazing that such a simple thing can cause so much controversy in this day and age. I especially like the "Well, I'm not racist or misogynist, but...", which is then followed by a convoluted argument why this is a bad thing.

I'd like even more options, dwarfism, anorectics, obesity, deformity, gargoylism, etc. :D

Compsiox

Banned
I know that this is a joke, but I think that would be very interesting. Ot deafness, or walking disabled, etc.

It could get people to think about disabilities in a different light.

I guess you couldn't really do it in a game you have to pay for before you get to play it. Well, you could, but no one would support it.

But if it was free to play, that'd be neat.

This just wouldn't be the game you would want to do that. People don't want to go on like some sort of guilt trip while just trying to have fun. Like damn.

Then that type of player can play arma or arc... It's clear the creative decision was on Gary and that this was a known change incoming for a long time.

Not every game will be for everyone, and if this small change drives people away and cuts off any new audience... Well the market will have spoken and Gary can figure out if he wants to change it, continue on, or start a new game.

Basically both of these. Of course this game won't be for everyone because you cant customize your own character, but that's cool. They can play a different game.

I'm glad this sort of thing exists. I want to pick it up and roll a character but I'm going to wait until they get race and the other features back into the character creation.

yamo

I'm tempted to try this game just to see what I end up as. If i'm a well hung guy I might continue to play just to spite all the less well equipped.

Top Bottom