• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 5500, RX 5600, and RX 5700 ARE NOT NEXT GEN CARDS

AMD's new graphics cards will be a 'refreshed' Navi line-up with next-gen RDNA architecture.
As it turns out, Su was speaking only in terms of adding new cards to the existing line up, which will be based on AMD's next-gen RDNA architecture—not updating the currently available graphics cards. In other words, the RX 5500, RX 5600, and RX 5700 cards will not be reproduced with the next-gen RDNA architecture—only the next new graphics card will be. That's what Su meant by a Navi 'refresh.' RX 5750s or RX 5650s are not coming to market.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-will-introduce-new-gpus-with-next-gen-architecture-this-year/

So, AMD is launching next gen cards this year. But that means that the current rx lineup is not next gen. I'm guessing the new cards will have some sort of raytracing but doesn't that mean that the current lineup won't?
If that's so, that's a dick move.
What do you think?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No they are not, isn't common practice to release high-end than later release more mainstream cards? I would say it's not that weird...

No they are not, isn't common practice to release high-end than later release more mainstream cards? I would say it's not that weird...
But it's silly. It's rumored that these new cards will have some sort of raytracing capabilities. But that means that rx 5500, 5600, 5700 won't and they don't have it.
That makes no sense to me. The new cards will be named 5800, 5900, so the same 5xxx family. But why have some cards in the same family have raytracing and others without that?
That's what is bugging me.

Armorian

Banned
Current cards could end up with RT like on Pascal GPUs, pure software based = shit performance.

But it's silly. It's rumored that these new cards will have some sort of raytracing capabilities. But that means that rx 5500, 5600, 5700 won't and they don't have it.
That makes no sense to me. The new cards will be named 5800, 5900, so the same 5xxx family. But why have some cards in the same family have raytracing and others without that?

I think RDNA2 cards will be in 6xxx series.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well, just for the new name I would expect RX6XXX, because it's not like the old cards never has been rebranded...

GreatnessRD

Wild times with AMD on the GPU tip. But they'll figure it out because nVidia is taking notice and I love it. But yeah, strange times. I wish both would hurry up and show their new cards. Mid year is too far away, lol

Leonidas

Luckily Nvidia GeForce RTX exists, those cards have had next-gen features like hardware Ray-Tracing and VRS since 2018...

Rickyiez

Weird thread. RDNA 1 lineup is merely a stop gap for consumers to have AMD mid-high end cards for the current gen. Next gen RDNA with Ray tracing will most likely be RX 6xxx series, I don't see anything wrong here.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Luckily Nvidia GeForce RTX exists, those cards have had next-gen features like hardware Ray-Tracing and VRS since 2018...
Sounds like AMD is giving you a human chill up ya spine, lol.

Ampere better be all-world after team green hype. And team red better have some worthwhile stuff after their hype, too! Either way I'm still excited about what's to come from both brands.

Xyphie

I think Navi 10 / 14 will be AMD's GPUs in those segments for the next few years until replacements truly arrive in the 2021/2022 timeframe on a new node. RDNA2 with DXR, VRS etc will only be on their high-end cards.

Because marketing is dumb. However, I think it would help them differentiate the new family, usually they do that with the low end. But this is not new, I recall nvidia releasing geforce cards without pixel shaders at the low end of some card "family" a long time ago and people freaked out because it was deceiving to customers expecting certain features card with numberXXX in their name, ATI did similar things as well... add all the products re-branding years after years and it all literally makes no sense.

Bottom of the line: don't trust product names for anything.

Top Bottom