• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 7900XTX and 7900XT review thread

Crayon

Can i update the fsr version like i do with dlss just by coping a file inside the game folder?

P.s. in theory, the fsr2 should be for older cards and very common going forward, and fsr3 for the new ones and more rare.

From what i studied, fsr1 is pretty terrible, like dlss1 was.

Fsr 1 is a totally different thing. Pretty basic upscaling + sharpening. So you can't swap a dll to make it fsr2. Fsr2->2.1->2.2 should work but I'm not totally sure.

Denton

This is not to you Denton directly, but to anyone who actually post stuff like this.
I am reasonably certain that Testing Games channel is legit.
The Mark PC always seemed fake because he regularly posted before he could reasonably have the hardware, and his numbers are nonsense.

winjer

Gold Member
Can i update the fsr version like i do with dlss just by coping a file inside the game folder?

P.s. in theory, the fsr2 should be for older cards and very common going forward, and fsr3 for the new ones and more rare.

From what i studied, fsr1 is pretty terrible, like dlss1 was.

First you have to run a one time reg file. Very simple stuff and after that you are set for all games with which FSR2 mod works with.
After that it's just a matter of copying 2 or 3 files into a folder.

If there is a particular game that you really want FSR2, I recommend searching or asking first or confirming it has support or mod.

As someone that has an NVidia card, you should also consider that even FSR 2.2 is worse than DLSS 2.4 or 2.5
So you will lose a bit of quality. I recommend you first try a game with FSR 2.1 or 2.2 to see if it's good enough for you. Since it's open source, it also runs on your NVidia card.

twilo99

It is! Glad I snagged one before the first wave sold out.

It's surprisingly small in height and width but damn is it a long boy.

Seems like a solid package! Any coil whine?

This is it right

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Seems like a solid package! Any coil whine?

This is it right

Only if running absurd frame rates in the thousands does coil whine present itself.

That does look like the model I ordered.

AGRacing

Got the card tonight. Quiet. No coil whine. And with the about the easiest undervolt ever...
g7hNpPc.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm a gigantic fucking idiot.

I completely forgot that as a business owner i can just deduct the vat and pay 22% less on everything.

I'm Going with the 4080 for "just" 1030 euros.
Youve been so back and forth with your PC upgrade, watching you spiral has been entertaining.
Im waiting to see what PC you end up building.
Ive got a bet with myself for what the setup will be.
Lets see how right I am.

The GymWolf Saga: Intel vs AMD vs Nvidia

Kenpachii

I'm a gigantic fucking idiot.

I completely forgot that as a business owner i can just deduct the vat and pay 22% less on everything.

I'm Going with the 4080 for "just" 1030 euros.

Fuck yeah.

Bought a 3080 for 1200, on company 21% tax = 950, sold my old 1080ti for 450 at scalper times.

Total price 500 for 3080, feels good man.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Youve been so back and forth with your PC upgrade, watching you spiral has been entertaining.
Im waiting to see what PC you end up building.
Ive got a bet with myself for what the setup will be.
Lets see how right I am.

The GymWolf Saga: Intel vs AMD vs Nvidia
You can see the final build in the pc build topic, last page, the only thing that can change is the brand of ram but not the typology, and the 4080 instead of the 6950.

I have almost all the parts now.

Yeah it was a fun ride.

I do have a question tho, does the 4080 use the new connector that need an adapter or some shit?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

You can see the final build in the pc build topic, last page, the only thing that can change is the brand of ram but not the typology, and the 4080 instead of the 6950.

Yeah it was a fun ride.

I do have a question tho, does the 4080 use the new connector that need an adaptor or some shit?
Yup all RTX4000 use the new 16Pin 12vhpwr connection. (even the 200W 4060Ti)
If your PSU doesnt have native support youll have to use the adapter supplied with your GPU.

GymWolf

Yup all RTX4000 use the new 16Pin 12vhpwr connection. (even the 200W 4060Ti)
If your PSU doesnt have native support youll have to use the adapter supplied with your GPU.
Wait, they provide the adapter? I don't have to buy one externally?

Neat!

Just for curiosity, do you thought that i was about to buy a 4090?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GHG

Yeah it was a fun ride.

I do have a question tho, does the 4080 use the new connector that need an adaptor or some shit?

Yes it needs the adapter unless you get a power supply that natively supports the new connector. If you're doing an entirely new build then I'd suggest getting a power supply that supports the new connector. I have a thermaltake GF3 and no complaints so far.

If you do need to use the adapter then it's less of a concern for the 4080 than it is for the 4090 since less power is being pushed through the cables. The main thing you need to make sure is that the connector is pushed all the way in to the GPU.

GymWolf

Yes it needs the adapter unless you get a power supply that natively supports the new connector. If you're doing an entirely new build then I'd suggest getting a power supply that supports the new connector. I have a thermaltake GF3 and no complaints so far.

If you do need to use the adapter then it's less of a concern for the 4080 than it is for the 4090 since less power is being pushed through the cables. The main thing you need to make sure is that the connector is pushed all the way in to the GPU.
I already bought the psu, the new types were too overpriced, with way less money i bought an S-tier psu, if the only difference is using an adapter i'm not gonna waste money (not saying that you wasted money but you get what i mean)

I'm gonna tell the bolded part to the dude who is gonna assemble the whole thing.

Reactions: GHG

Black_Stride

Wait, they provide the adapter? I don't have to buy one externally?

Neat!

Just for curiosity, do you thought that i was about to buy a 4090?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Yup the adapter will come with the GPU.

I actually thought you were gonna settle on a 7900XTX(OC) + 76/700X cuz they are pocket change right now and with non-X and X3D coming soon chances are 6 core AMD CPUs are gonna be super super cheap.

Seeing that you are going 136K + Pro-A is solid as fuck.
Our PCs are probably gonna be twins by end of March.
Im going:
136K + Pro-A + 32GB + RTX4080'20G (Im waiting till CES/GTC for the pricedrop on 16G or announcement of the 20G).
Currently:
124 + Pro-A + 32GB + RTX3080'12G (Selling the 3080 to subsidize the 4080 and putting the 12400 somewhere....i dont know where yet)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yup the adapter will come with the GPU.

I actually thought you were gonna settle on a 7900XTX(OC) + 76/700X cuz they are pocket change right now and with non-X and X3D coming soon chances are 6 core AMD CPUs are gonna be super super cheap.

Seeing that you are going 136K + Pro-A is solid as fuck.
Our PCs are probably gonna be twins by end of March.
Im going:
136K + Pro-A + 32GB + RTX4080'20G (Im waiting till CES/GTC for the pricedrop on 16G or announcement of the 20G).
Currently:
124 + Pro-A + 32GB + RTX3080'12G (Selling the 3080 to subsidize the 4080 and putting the 12400 somewhere....i dont know where yet)
Do you say "settle" because the 7900xtx is a worse gpu than the 4080? i thought they were basically equal.

You still beat me in the vram department if you get the 20 gb version.

Do you think we are gonna surpass the 16gb requirement during this gen?

Are you buying an atx 3.0 psu?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Do you say "settle" because the 7900xtx is a worse gpu than the 4080? i thought they were basically equal.

You still beat me in the vram department if you get the 20 gb version.

Do you think we are gonna surpass the 16gb requirement during this gen?

Are you buying an atx 3.0 psu?
Settle as in simply cuz your mind was gonna keep racing forever between builds not that the 7900XTX is worse than the 4080.
An OC'd 7900XTX actually beats the 4080 in pure raster.

I dont expect the 16GB of VRAM to be a thing this gen outside of VR games.(I dont play VR games)

The only reason im waiting for the 20G is because of the 320Bit bus that should help at higher resolutions (planning on going 4K120 soon).
And also because I do GPU rendering where that extra 4GB of VRAM will come in handy.
If the 20G isnt announced at CES or GTC im going straight 16G.

And def not getting a new PSU.
Ive already got a bulletproof 850W PSU, im just gonna use the adapter and make sure its fully plugged in.

Last edited:

Reallink

Settle as in simply cuz your mind was gonna keep racing forever between builds not that the 7900XTX is worse than the 4080.
An OC'd 7900XTX actually beats the 4080 in pure raster.

I dont expect the 16GB of VRAM to be a thing this gen outside of VR games.(I dont play VR games)

The only reason im waiting for the 20G is because of the 320Bit bus that should help at higher resolutions (planning on going 4K120 soon).
And also because I do GPU rendering where that extra 4GB of VRAM will come in handy.
If the 20G isnt announced at CES or GTC im going straight 16G.

And def not getting a new PSU.
Ive already got a bulletproof 850W PSU, im just gonna use the adapter and make sure its fully plugged in.

The 4080Ti will presumably be the 20GB card. I wouldn't expect any kind of base 4080 upgrade until mid-gen, if at all. If the low end cards continue to sell relatively poorly though, the Ti will probably take over the $1200 - $1300 price point.

Last edited:

MikeM

Quick update- installed my amd reference 7900xt. Gpu temps around 75 degrees with junction at around 91 degrees. All within range considering my Matrexx 50 case is not the best for ventilation. No coil whine at all. Using full 310w. Seems I got a good one.

Played some MW2 at 4k (ultra FSR) at extreme settings and was getting over 140fps. Absolutely wild compared to my previous 6700xt. C1 only runs at 120hz so will need to back down the frame cap.

Overall- fuck the haters. Love this thing.

Quick update- installed my amd reference 7900xt. Gpu temps around 75 degrees with junction at around 91 degrees. All within range considering my Matrexx 50 case is not the best for ventilation. No coil whine at all. Using full 310w. Seems I got a good one.

Played some MW2 at 4k (ultra FSR) at extreme settings and was getting over 140fps. Absolutely wild compared to my previous 6700xt. C1 only runs at 120hz so will need to back down the frame cap.

Tell us about raytracing performance when you get the chance :messenger_fistbump::messenger_bicep::messenger_ok:

MikeM

Tell us about raytracing performance when you get the chance :messenger_fistbump::messenger_bicep::messenger_ok:
Quick test with Witcher 3:

- 4k (fsr quality) at Ultra+ getting about 100-115fps in the opening training area/tutorial of the game.

- Throw in RTGI and it tanks down to 45fps. Throw in the full suite of RT and it goes down to about 35fps.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Looking at potentially getting one of these AMD cards, but that Radeon 6950 price tag under $800 has me a bit confused. That thing just launched a few months ago at over $1000, right? Seems odd that it dropped so quickly in price.

I've decided to go with the 7900 XT myself. Yeah, I don't get the hate either. I looked at the 6950 but I'd probably end up having to buy a new PSU for that power hog. On the other hand, scalpers are selling XTX for $1400+. For the sub-$1k market, 7900 XT is the best deal right now. In any case, it is a significant leap from my 3070ti.

MikeM

Looking at potentially getting one of these AMD cards, but that Radeon 6950 price tag under $800 has me a bit confused. That thing just launched a few months ago at over $1000, right? Seems odd that it dropped so quickly in price.

I've decided to go with the 7900 XT myself. Yeah, I don't get the hate either. I looked at the 6950 but I'd probably end up having to buy a new PSU for that power hog. On the other hand, scalpers are selling XTX for $1400+. For the sub-$1k market, 7900 XT is the best deal right now. In any case, it is a significant leap from my 3070ti.
Its a solid card. Congrats! Did you go with amd direct or with another aib? Its going to be a big leap for sure.

Topher

Gold Member
Its a solid card. Congrats! Did you go with amd direct or with another aib? Its going to be a big leap for sure.

Thanks. Went with the Power Cooler. It was on Amazon at $899 and I had about $50 in cash back points to use so made since to get that one. Honestly, it looks like it is the same exact card but in a Power Cooler box.

MikeM

Thanks. Went with the Power Cooler. It was on Amazon at $899 and I had about $50 in cash back points to use so made since to get that one. Honestly, it looks like it is the same exact card but in a Power Cooler box.
Nice. When is the expected delivery date? Curious to know how your card is. Reddit seems to show it can be a toss up in terms of out of the box issues. Could also be a vocal minority.

Topher

Gold Member
Nice. When is the expected delivery date? Curious to know how your card is. Reddit seems to show it can be a toss up in terms of out of the box issues. Could also be a vocal minority.

Says delivery expected between Jan 8 and Jan 11. One of the reasons I went with Amazon is the ease of returns in case there are issues.

Can you link to that reddit?

//DEVIL//

Cant blame you for your choice. it really depends on money and budget at the end of the day.

Just make sure you do not have a dud. some cards are hitting 110 junction temps while others max of 95. make sure your card is fine.

as far as 7800xtx goes. I really do not know what to say about this card. If it was better than the 4080 in terms of performance by say 20%, I would say it's a nice card. but when its the same performance as the 4080 but no dlss or frame generation or better ray tracing, all of a sudden the 200$ difference ( sometimes below as 4080 is being sold below the MSRP). is not a super bad deal.

anyway still. a high end with all being said and done. so congrats.

Topher

Gold Member
Cant blame you for your choice. it really depends on money and budget at the end of the day.

Just make sure you do not have a dud. some cards are hitting 110 junction temps while others max of 95. make sure your card is fine.

as far as 7800xtx goes. I really do not know what to say about this card. If it was better than the 4080 in terms of performance by say 20%, I would say it's a nice card. but when its the same performance as the 4080 but no dlss or frame generation or better ray tracing, all of a sudden the 200$ difference ( sometimes below as 4080 is being sold below the MSRP). is not a super bad deal.

anyway still. a high end with all being said and done. so congrats.

Thanks. Definitely an upgrade for me either way. I do think it is important to budge these things. Folks can talk themselves into buying/paying just about anything. Then the buyer's remorse kicks in. I think I'll be fine with this card and happy I'm not paying a dime to a scalper.

It will be interesting to see how FSR 3.0 turns out. I was a bit miffed by Nvidia's decision to limit DLSS to 4000 series. Decided then I would give AMD a shot.

I definitely plan to stress test the card fairly heavily during the return period. I've got the full 3DMark suite so I'll put it to good use.

Thanks bro. I'll check it out.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
got my 7900 XT in.. my 2080 died and this was good replacement. Plays most things great only the major haevy RT games Cyberpunk and WItcher3 update do i have to fiddle with some settings.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Seeing a lot of folks in that thread and on youtube talking about XTX overheating. Not sure if that has been discussed here or not. Seems like it is just XTX from what I'm reading so far. Have you seen anything in regards to this an the XT?

MikeM

Seeing a lot of folks in that thread and on youtube talking about XTX overheating. Not sure if that has been discussed here or not. Seems like it is just XTX from what I'm reading so far. Have you seen anything in regards to this an the XT?
Seems to be a mix. No idea if its a vocal minority. All i can say is that my 7900xt has been flawless.

Seems to be a warped cooler issue causing inconsistent contact driving the wide gap between gpu and junction temps. Speculation purely tho.

Topher

Gold Member
Seems to be a mix. No idea if its a vocal minority. All i can say is that my 7900xt has been flawless.

Seems to be a warped cooler issue causing inconsistent contact driving the wide gap between gpu and junction temps. Speculation purely tho.

I forget how youtubers love to embellish on issues so think you may be right. Just like all those "defective" consoles when PS5 and XSX launched.

thuGG_pl

I forget how youtubers love to embellish on issues so think you may be right. Just like all those "defective" consoles when PS5 and XSX launched.
And if they didn't you would be saying "how come you didn't mention that problem, you supposed to be objective reviewers, and now you're hiding facts, you nV/AMD shills!".

Topher

Gold Member
And if they didn't you would be saying "how come you didn't mention that problem, you supposed to be objective reviewers, and now you're hiding facts, you nV/AMD shills!".

Um....I've never said any such thing about youtubers before so no idea where this is coming from. Or was that supossed to be a joke?

//DEVIL//

Welp.....I pulled a GymWolf GymWolf and flip-flopped from 7900 XT to a RTX 4080 FE. Found out Best Buy had a 10% off code so got the GPU for $1079.

For anyone wanting to get that deal, here is the code:

q4fy23save10
NOIICCEEE, now we are talking.

I wanted to say you made a horrible purchase before but I didn't want to sound rude. I am pretty sure you felt it though lol.

Also, FE cards are awesome. they look higher class than any other card in the market. including the circus show card Asus Strix rog ( seriously the RGB at the of the card reminds me of the lights you see on a fares wheel. just disgusting)

Brigandier

The XTX seems like a damn good card to me, If I was in the market for a new PC I'd absolutely consider it. I heard that it's a poor overclocker? Is that true?.

Topher

Gold Member
NOIICCEEE, now we are talking.

I wanted to say you made a horrible purchase before but I didn't want to sound rude. I am pretty sure you felt it though lol.

Also, FE cards are awesome. they look higher class than any other card in the market. including the circus show card Asus Strix rog ( seriously the RGB at the of the card reminds me of the lights you see on a fares wheel. just disgusting)

I still don't think the XT is a bad purchase really. The 7900 XT is a damn good card and I would have been fine with it, but when I found out about the discount.....well, I gotta go after what I think is the best deal. I'm not a team red or a team green guy except when the green is cash.

But I definitely agree on the aesthetics of the FE. Looks really clean. I'm a guy who hates RGB. All my fans have white lights. So I actively avoid cards with RGB if I can. Not always easy to do.

//DEVIL//

I still don't think the XT is a bad purchase really. The 7900 XT is a damn good card and I would have been fine with it, but when I found out about the discount.....well, I gotta go after what I think is the best deal. I'm not a team red or a team green guy except when the green is cash.

But I definitely agree on the aesthetics of the FE. Looks really clean. I'm a guy who hates RGB. All my fans have white lights. So I actively avoid cards with RGB if I can. Not always easy to do.
I am not rooting for either teams. But to me the 4090 and the 4080 are high end cards. The 7900 xt is a mid range card in terms of performance. If I am going that route ( not really mid range but you know what I mean) then I would just go and buy a used 3090 for cheaper since I’ll still have access to same level ray tracing as well as close performance but cheaper

Top Bottom