• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 7900XTX and 7900XT review thread

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
That's not what you said you were willing to spend. You mentioned $800:

Sorry, I just meant that I wish Microsoft and Sony would be willing to take the risk of selling a console for much higher than ever before.

I'd be willing to spend up to $1500 for a PC if the value was there.

Reactions: GHG

Zathalus

Man, I keep trying to price out a PC build because the Series X and PS5 leave something to be desired in multiplat games at times, but every time I try to price something out I'm just gobsmacked by the costs compared to these $500 consoles.

To make a PC build worthwhile, I'd require XSX/PS5 "Quality" mode preset equivalents, maybe with a few higher settings, at 60fps. So pretty much 4k/high settings/60fps in new modern games for the entirety of this generation, so at least ~5 years.

But to build a PC that's capable of that, it sure seems like I need to be spending $1500 bare minimum, if not closer to $2000.

All this research has been an exercise in frustration. I just wish Microsoft and/or Sony would come out with a super high end console for $800+, but there's probably a tiny market for that.
A 3060 Ti PC can be built for around $900. It will be faster then both consoles in regular games, be significantly faster in RT games, and have DLSS which is better then FSR as well. Cheaper games and no paid online means the cost difference will be made up in like 2 years.

Buggy Loop

Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Keep huffing.

I'm done here. You've been proven wrong beyond any question. The end.

LOL

Holy shit, prime AMD copium

I’m waiting on those “spanking” rasterization claims.

twilo99

Man, I keep trying to price out a PC build because the Series X and PS5 leave something to be desired in multiplat games at times, but every time I try to price something out I'm just gobsmacked by the costs compared to these $500 consoles.

To make a PC build worthwhile, I'd require XSX/PS5 "Quality" mode preset equivalents, maybe with a few higher settings, at 60fps. So pretty much 4k/high settings/60fps in new modern games for the entirety of this generation, so at least ~5 years.

But to build a PC that's capable of that, it sure seems like I need to be spending $1500 bare minimum, if not closer to $2000.

All this research has been an exercise in frustration. I just wish Microsoft and/or Sony would come out with a super high end console for $800+, but there's probably a tiny market for that.

Just get the series s

MikeM

Yep. I want a $1000 PS5 Pro at launch with beefy cpu and gpu but we all know that is a pipe dream. Too bad because i’d gladly stay console if they made a guaranteed 60fps+ box. My PC slaps with the 7900xt but I still am a console gamer at heart.
A 3060 Ti PC can be built for around $900. It will be faster then both consoles in regular games, be significantly faster in RT games, and have DLSS which is better then FSR as well. Cheaper games and no paid online means the cost difference will be made up in like 2 years.
Guess it depends where you live. New 3060ti GPUs in Canada retail for $629 alone. Same cost as a console…

Gaiff

Gold Member
How ever will I live being a whole 20% behind a 4080 while spanking it in raster and that would be if I bought an underpowered and under cooled reference card which, this is a secret alright, I didn't. Oh the humanity!
What do you mean spank? The 7900 XTX and 4080 are evenly matched in rasterization with a slight lead overall to the 7900 XTX but it can swing one way or the other depending on the game. You downplay the 4080 being 25% faster in RT but claim a 3% overall advantage in raster is "spanking" it?

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yep. I want a $1000 PS5 Pro at launch with beefy cpu and gpu but we all know that is a pipe dream. Too bad because i’d gladly stay console if they made a guaranteed 60fps+ box. My PC slaps with the 7900xt but I still am a console gamer at heart.

Guess it depends where you live. New 3060ti GPUs in Canada retail for $629 alone. Same cost as a console…
Canada 3060 Ti PC would be around 1200 Canadian. So more upfront cost, but you do get better performance, cheaper games, and free online.

You certainly don't need to spend two thousand dollars (even in Canada) to beat the console experience.

thuGG_pl

Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Keep huffing.

I'm done here. You've been proven wrong beyond any question. The end.
But he is actually right, harder RT games with more RT effects crushes 7900xt(x) more than usual. The agregate results in RT actually put AMD in better light that they actually are.
And we will get more RT games with more RT workloads so the Radeon will suffer even more.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
But he is actually right, harder RT games with more RT effects crushes 7900xt(x) more than usual. The agregate results in RT actually put AMD in better light that they actually are.
And we will get more RT games with more RT workloads so the Radeon will suffer even more.

You mean like Metro Exodus? The one with RT Shadows, reflections and one of the most impressive RTGI implementations to date?

Metro-Exodus-EE-FPS-2160p-DX12-Ultra-RT-High-Reflection-Hybrid.png

We are a long way off fully path traced rendering being a common thing. Until then, hybrid techniques are going to be the norm and AMD has caught up alot in that regard. To the point where they have matched the 3090ti. Sadly, someone here has been upset by that realisation.

thuGG_pl

You mean like Metro Exodus? The one with RT Shadows, reflections and one of the most impressive RTGI implementations to date?

We are a long way off fully path traced rendering being a common thing. Until then, hybrid techniques are going to be the norm and AMD has caught up alot in that regard. To the point where they have matched the 3090ti. Sadly, someone here has been upset by that realisation.

EDIT: Disregard that, I looked at XT. Sorry!

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got a 7900xt for Xmas (family surprised me) but every game I play eventually crashes. Wasn't having this issue with the much less powerful 6700xt. Thinking about taking it back for a 4080….

Last edited:

SolidQ

Got a 7900xt for Xmas (family surprised me) but every game I play eventually crashes. Wasn't having this issue with the much less powerful 6700xt. Thinking about taking it back for a 4080….
Reisntall drivers with DDU or Windows?

TrebleShot

Any ideas where we can get these in the UK seems sold out everywhere, can get a 4080 but I need it to fit in my meshlicious

Warnen

Reisntall drivers with DDU or Windows?
I did a fresh windows install, ddu drivers serveal time, tired to install just the driver per a post on Reddit. Doesn’t get rid of issue. Card even fails to auto overclock in the amd software. Might just be the card. Ordered a 4080 for an instore pick up prob just gonna swap them if a driver update doesn’t fix it soon. Thankfully destiny runs fine for the most part.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
define crashing.

i.e is it a driver crash or just a game crash? A simple re-seating of the GPU and power connectors could fix your issue.

Topher

Gold Member
Any ideas where we can get these in the UK seems sold out everywhere, can get a 4080 but I need it to fit in my meshlicious

Get the HotStock app.

I bought a RTX 4090 yesterday for my son using that app.

Warnen

define crashing.

i.e is it a driver crash or just a game crash? A simple re-seating of the GPU and power connectors could fix your issue.
Game freezes and shuts down popping up a game error report (cyberpunk, high on life, spider man) and an alert from the amd software saying it recovered from crash.

If it matters running 3d mark stress test nothing happens. Best I can tell it just driver issues but dam it sucks.

Gaiff

Gold Member

The ray tracing in Metro Exodus really isn't that heavy. Try Cyberpunk or Dying Light 2.

RT_2.png

RT_1.png

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Game freezes and shuts down popping up a game error report (cyberpunk, high on life, spider man) and an alert from the amd software saying it recovered from crash.

If it matters running 3d mark stress test nothing happens. Best I can tell it just driver issues but dam it sucks.

What games are you trying? I, like many on all hardware, am getting constant crashing in The Witcher 3 RT unless I disable FSR and cap the FPS to 40 and MSF2020 just won't launch at all without crashing the drivers but other than those 2 everything else seems to work.

Also, how are your hotspot/junction temperatures. If you have a reference model some unlucky people are getting poor cooler contact causing over heating and crashing on reference models.

FireFly

The ray tracing in Metro Exodus really isn't that heavy. Try Cyberpunk or Dying Light 2.

RT_2.png

RT_1.png
Right and the fact that the 7900 XTX ties the 3090 Ti in Dying Light 2 indicates that RDNA 3 can do well in specific heavy RT "hybrid" titles. It's not like RDNA 2 which just loses everywhere.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

RT_2.png

RT_1.png
I mean it's matching the 3090ti in dying light which is what people have been saying. It's probably about 3090 level in Cyberpunk. But then it beats the 4080 in raster in cyberpunk and loses quite considerably in dying light.
Basically I'm not sure gaming benchmarks for current games will be a good predictor of performance in future games.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Right and the fact that the 7900 XTX ties the 3090 Ti in Dying Light 2 indicates that RDNA 3 can do well in specific heavy RT "hybrid" titles. It's not like RDNA 2 which just loses everywhere.

I mean it's matching the 3090ti in dying light which is what people have been saying. It's probably about 3090 level in Cyberpunk. But then it beats the 4080 in raster in cyberpunk and loses quite considerably in dying light.
Basically I'm not sure gaming benchmarks for current games will be a good predictor of performance in future games.
Yeah, I already posted the chart where it basically ties a 3090 Ti in ray tracing. It was simply to support the point that the heavier ray tracing effects you throw at them, the more the 4080 will start pulling away. It's on average 25% faster in ray tracing but in games with very demanding ray tracing effects, it can grow to as much as 50%. Likewise, the 4080/4090 also start pulling away further from the 3090/Ti.

Last edited:

Warnen

What games are you trying? I, like many on all hardware, am getting constant crashing in The Witcher 3 RT unless I disable FSR and cap the FPS to 40 and MSF2020 just won't launch at all without crashing the drivers but other than those 2 everything else seems to work.

Also, how are your hotspot/junction temperatures. If you have a reference model some unlucky people are getting poor cooler contact causing over heating and crashing on reference models.
Spider man, Cyberpunk, High on Life and destiny.

Spider man I ran with RT on high fps was fine
Cyberpunk easiest for me to test cause happens fast. I perfer to run RT off and no FSR but even that crashes, any combo of setting last about the same amount of time. Destiny seems fine for the most part, had one marmot crash (corrupted files) but think Bungie has said there have been an uptick of those recently.

All games but destiny pop off a recovery issue with the driver in amd software. Hey got a while before the 4080 arrives so if something works out by then I won't pick it up.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Cyberpunk easiest for me to test cause happens fast. I perfer to run RT off and no FSR but even that crashes, any combo of setting last about the same amount of time. Destiny seems fine for the most part, had one marmot crash (corrupted files) but think Bungie has said there have been an uptick of those recently.

All games but destiny pop off a recovery issue with the driver in amd software. Hey got a while before the 4080 arrives so if something works out by then I won't pick it up.

High on life and Cyberpunk work fine for me, haven't tried the other 2. It's always strange how PC problems show up for some people but not others.

Did you get a reference card or a beefier AIB card?

Warnen

High on life and Cyberpunk work fine for me, haven't tried the other 2. It's always strange how PC problems show up for some people but not others.

Did you get a reference card or a beefier AIB card?
XfX merc 310, gotta be a driver issue. Cyberpunk only game I can get it to crash with in 20mins, rest are random. Stress test do fine. Not like I even want to play cyber punk but just wanna test out the card and irks me when it wont work and can't find out why.

Warnen

Pz6Fkeb.jpg

this is what I keep getting took a pic with phone so kinda blurry. Says AMD software detected that a driver timeout has occurred on your system. An error report has been sent to AMD bla bla bla

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
XfX merc 310, gotta be a driver issue. Cyberpunk only game I can get it to crash with in 20mins, rest are random. Stress test do fine. Not like I even want to play cyber punk but just wanna test out the card and irks me when it wont work and can't find out why.
I have the same card, are you in the open or closed bios? If you can't do much tuning it's probably the closed default bios.

Little unmarked switch near the pcie bracket end of the card. Position towards the display ports is the default bios. Position towards the power connectors is the high power bios.

Might need to up the power target and/or lower the clock target since it usually defaults over 3k.

Driver crashes for me usually result in a black screen before the driver reboots.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Pz6Fkeb.jpg

this is what I keep getting took a pic with phone so kinda blurry. Says AMD software detected that a driver timeout has occurred on your system. An error report has been sent to AMD bla bla bla
Probably a faulty card. Had same issue with my 3090 I bought last year. Stress test (Furmark, 3D Mark) was fine but random crashes on tons of games. Got a replacement and worked fine.

Warnen

I have the same card, are you in the open or closed bios? If you can't do much tuning it's probably the closed default bios.

Little unmarked switch near the pcie bracket end of the card. Position towards the display ports is the default bios. Position towards the power connectors is the high power bios.

Might need to up the power target and/or lower the clock target since it usually defaults over 3k.

Driver crashes for me usually result in a black screen before the driver reboots.
I’ll try tonight

Warnen

Probably a faulty card. Had same issue with my 3090 I bought last year. Stress test (Furmark, 3D Mark) was fine but random crashes on tons of games. Got a replacement and worked fine.
4080 next wed if have too lol

GymWolf

I have no race in this horse, but doesn't that game also run with all those things on console? not exactly cyberpunk level of rtx that tank everything that is not a 4090.

GymWolf

Your family gifted you a gpu?? Do you mean like father\mother or your wife\kids?

That's nice ass gift.

GreatnessRD

Pz6Fkeb.jpg

From what I've seen, those normally come from Microsoft trying to overwrite the drivers, or corruption when installed. I'd say use DDU, disconnect from the internet and reinstall the drivers if you can. And if you use DDU, make sure you check the tab at the bottom to block Windows from updating the drivers.

Or you could have an unstable overclock, but I'm assuming that isn't the case.

Warnen

Good luck.

After that there is only the mine field of motherboard bios updates and motherboard drivers etc. Or could just be a defective card.
From what I've seen, those normally come from Microsoft trying to overwrite the drivers, or corruption when installed. I'd say use DDU, disconnect from the internet and reinstall the drivers if you can. And if you use DDU, make sure you check the tab at the bottom to block Windows from updating the drivers.

Or you could have an unstable overclock, but I'm assuming that isn't the case.

Flipped the bios chip and set it to oc, hasn’t crashed since. What odd behavior but fuck I’ll take it. I’ll have to test it more on a day off but played cyber punk easily 4 times as long as normal and didn’t fuck up. Looks like 7900xt is staying

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Flipped the bios chip and set it to oc, hasn’t crashed since. What odd behavior but fuck I’ll take it. I’ll have to test it more on a day off but played cyber punk easily 4 times as long as normal and didn’t fuck up. Looks like 7900xt is staying
Glad you got it working. So it indeed appears it was an unstable clock on one of the BIOS settings. Nonetheless, glad its working. That's what matters most.

Warnen

Your family gifted you a gpu?? Do you mean like father\mother or your wife\kids?

That's nice ass gift.

My brother his wife and kids. We had an emergency home repair earlier this month. Sold my 4090/4080 to cover a good chunk of it. They felt bad and even though I was happy with my down graded 6700xt they wanted to make it better. 7900xt fit the bill after using all their Best Buy credit(was saving it for a new fridge but thankfully repair was covered by warranty)…. And was only thing that would arrive before Xmas.

Bonus I can use my g9 neo Odyessy again, I missed you 32:9….

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
My brother his wife and kids. We had an emergency home repair earlier this month. Sold my 4090/4080 to cover a good chunk of it. They felt bad and even though I was happy with my down graded 6700xt they wanted to make it better. 7900xt fit the bill after using all their Best Buy credit(was saving it for a new fridge but thankfully repair was covered by warranty)…. And was only thing that would arrive before Xmas.

That's a good family right there.

GymWolf

That's a christmas story worth of a mariah carrey song if you ask me.

Something like "all i want for christmas is rtx" or some shit.

PaintTinJr

It might be your GPU, but I think it is too easy to assume it is the GPU when your description would have me looking at intermittent memory issues - would probably run a memory stress test overnight - or silently failing storage reported in the storage's SMART info that Windows isn't reporting, but linux would - or looking at Windows failing to adjust the virtual memory (pagefile system) to a big enough size (using the default system managed setting) to be bigger than your GPUs VRAM size + a few extra gigabytes for the OS - because your VRAM through the graphic driver needs to be able to entirely mirror in virtual memory under heavy usage. This was problem I had with UE5 and just 12GB of GDDR6 with a RTX 3060 and crashing to desktop until I massively upped the virtual memory manually.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Yeah, I get what you are saying. Although I doubt I'd buy a used card with all the ones used for mining probably going on ebay, but I get your point.

So here is what I'm seeing right now as far as how the GPUs are laid out in the market.

$1600 4090
$1200 4080
$1099 3090 Ti
$999 7090 XTX
$899 7090 XT
$799 6950 XT
$679 6900 XT
$449 6750 XT

Of the top five, only the 4080, 3090 Ti, and 7900 XT are actually available to buy at MSRP.
Best Buy has 6750 XTs available at MSRP

hlm666

I have no race in this horse, but doesn't that game also run with all those things on console? not exactly cyberpunk level of rtx that tank everything that is not a 4090.
Consoles only do RTGI, RT reflections are pc only although I'm not sure they are on in that benchmark the hybrid reflections is a weird thing to say instead RT reflections. RT high also is not maximum it goes to ultra, and when you toggle RT reflections on in the options it actually says raytraced, i think hybrid is what it says when they are off.

GymWolf

Consoles only do RTGI, RT reflections are pc only although I'm not sure they are on in that benchmark the hybrid reflections is a weird thing to say instead RT reflections. RT high also is not maximum it goes to ultra, and when you toggle RT reflections on in the options it actually says raytraced, i think hybrid is what it says when they are off.
Still, console can't handle even the lowest form of cyberpunk rtx illumination so it looks like metro rtx lights are way easier to handle than even cyberpunk rtx on low.

Console version of cyberpunk barely has rtx shadows, arguably the lightest rtx effect to run.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Good man.

I had similar crashing issues with my 3080 12GB. Random crashes in RDR2, all 5 different Matrix demos and even cybperunk. Nothing worked. ended up getting a 10 GB and while the Matrix demo still crashes, doesnt do it as often and RDR2 and Cyberpunk no longer crash. It was probably just the card itself.

Top Bottom