• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 7900XTX and 7900XT review thread

hlm666

it uses more power than a 4080 but im not seeing any posts about psu upgrades? Well I done the right thing and waited even if it did turn out to be a waste of time.

GHG

Kinda true, but that's what reasonable people were waiting, so it's not a disappointment. I get that, if you like RT and also already have a 4080, there's no point in returning it and changing. But, let's be honest, it's far from a disappointment.

Honestly maybe it's just my fault, I expected a lot more coming away from their reveal conference for these products.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Honestly, I am abit disappointed.

They are about the same performance as 4080 ( aside from MW2 where Nvidia got a beating ), the other games are about neck and neck with the 4080 (but more in favor of the 7900xtx)

and the ray tracing is just the same or worse than 3090ti.

When it comes to buying 1000$ video card, honestly paying 200$ to get better ray tracing, better drivers, less heat and less power and DLSS 2/3.... ehh i dunno

the 4080 is still a stupidly priced card, but as I said, when are you paying 1000$.. how bad is an extra 200$?

however, you will not find any of those cards at MSRP so who cares at this point lol.

damn lol.
If you are willing to pay $1200 why not save a little more and spend $1600

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
756805.jpg

By 2030 im going straight back to 800x600 crt monitors.

Xyphie

If you expected 7900XTX at $1000 to compete with 4090 at $1600, you were smoking crack. AMD was clear that this was a 4080 competitor a month ago…

No one sane actually expected this. We knew that 7900XTX would be slower than the 4090 the moment we knew the die sizes of the two products. The problem for AMD (at least for their bottom line) is that this product needed to be like ~15-20% better than the 4080 from a purely technical perspective. Yet nVidia is able to beat them with a product that actually costs less to make.

There's no way internally that they started RDNA 3 with the intention of only competing with the AD103.

379 mm² - 315W
vs
531 mm² - 350W

2% difference in rasterization, -16% in RT (avg with many light ray tracing titles, -35% for Cyberpunk 2077, and that's before overdrive patch..)

What the hell?

This guy gets it.

I have said this many times in different forum that Ampere is massively ahead of RDNA 2 or 3.

What went wrong with Nvidia Ampere was that they used Samsung die's and limited them self with clock speed. If Nvidia used same TSMC die's than RDNA 3 would have been almost competing with Nvidia's Ampere and RTX 4xxx mid range.

Razvedka

Banned
7900XTX has superior raster perf vs the 4080 and comes in significantly cheaper. It's raytracing performance is about 'one generation' behind Nvidia's (sporting 3090 levels of performance in that area).

However, considering the price difference and rasterization equality-to-advantage, I think it's pretty easy to recommend people buy a 7900XTX over a 4080 as you're just throwing money away in the case of the latter. In addition, AMD is promising greater performance improvements for their FSR 2.2 hitting soon(ish) as I recall. So 'the gap' in some cases may close a bit more.

So anything below a 4090 AMD is winning. I don't see how this can be regarded as a victory for Nvidia in any capacity, especially since 4080s were never selling well. So if you want maximum performance grab a 4090. Otherwise? Buy RDNA3.

Last edited:

GHG

Yeah have seen people say they though Nvidia would be forced into a price drop but in comparison they are in a good spot even if they are all overpriced

It's looking like everything is overpriced from a gen on gen perspective.

The current value is with the previous gen products at the moment, (3080, 6800 XT/6900 XT). But maybe that's what both AMD and Nvidia wanted considering they flooded the market due to crypto-mania. All these new releases have done is help clear previous gen inventory.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I am unsure why I have read negative comments about these two cards?

The 7900 XTX is a great card that is trading blows with a 4080 at a smaller size, hundreds of pounds cheaper.

Great card!

I think the 7900 XT should be 100 pounds cheaper though as people should just save that extra 100 pounds for the XTX.

Hopefully these cards will cause nvidia to reduce the cost of 4000 series!

Last edited:

hinch7

Saw a couple of reviews and its a meh release. For cards designed to be energy efficient it doesn't seem like it. That and/or RNDA architectures are still well behind Ampere and Ada LL.

With the power consumption quite bad. Especially at idle. Linus Tech Tips had their XTX models at 50W idle and scales to like 170W, doing nothing using different monitors.

Admerer

I guess this is the equivalent of Zen 1 cpus, AMD laying ground work for better future GPUs.

At least the somber reviews should keep the scalpers away 😂.

Plenty of 7900s series and 4080s should be in stock for purchase.

//DEVIL//

If you are willing to pay $1200 why not save a little more and spend $1600
I already have a 4090 FE. I am just saying in general. if anything. the 4080 has been reported as being sold for less than the MSRP price in Europe ( not really sure I live in Canada ), but if thats true, then it means its lower than a 200$ price difference.

Elios83

So it's overall on par with the 4080 and costs less? The RTX improvements compared to RDNA2 are also substantial.
They did a good job imo unless you expected it to destroy the 4080 and compete with the 4090 but that was debunked by AMD itself pretty much immediatly so you could see that they were positioning these cards against the 4080 and it's a really good product.

LordCBH

Maybe some people were expecting a 4090 killer. But that is just stupid.
AMD priced it well bellow the 4080 for some reason. And while offering similar performance in rasterization to a 4080 and RT performance similar to a 3090Ti.

Sounds great to me considering it’s cheaper than the 4080

Razvedka

Banned

The 7900 XTX is a great card that is trading blows with a 4080 at a smaller size, hundreds of pounds cheaper, uses less power.

Great card!

I think the 7900 XT should be 100 pounds cheaper though as people should just save that extra 100 pounds for the XTX.

I think people expected Nvidia to lose altogether, price and performance, against RDNA3. So because unreasonable expectations were not met, 'AMD loses'.

Which is absurd. They are kicking Nvidia's ass below the 4090.

I think people expected Nvidia to lose altogether, price and performance, against RDNA3. So because unreasonable expectations were not met, 'AMD loses'.

Which is absurd. They are kicking Nvidia's ass below the 4090.
No it is not the case.

When RTX 3090 Ti is trading blows with AMD RX 7900 XT in non RT performance something has really gone bad.

Razvedka

Banned
No it is not the case.

When RTX 3090 Ti is trading blows with AMD RX 7900 XT in non RT performance something has really gone bad.
7900XTX is beating 3090 and 4080 in raster. That is AMD's 'flagship card' and it comes in several hundred dollars cheaper than the 4080. I genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

Edit: and as people have mentioned here, and in the official reviews, AMD has a track record for dramatic performance gains through driver optimizations. Linus goes into detail about the 6900 being a poster child for this.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Looks plenty fast, what's up with those "underdelivered" clickbait thumbnails
While it doesn't look bad, as I stated in the other 7900 thread, the 900 series card of AMD went toe to toe with the 90 series class of card from Nvidia. For the 900 series card to now step down a tier to the 80 series class of card is pretty disappointing on top of the last gen Ray tracing performance for those who look at that. Doesn't inspire confidence down their product stack with the 7800 XT, 7700, etc. Maybe the driver work will help it age like "Fine wine", but we'll see.

Puscifer

Gamers nexus “holy coil whine Batman..”
Is this a common problem with AMD? I had a 6700XT I returned and was going to get another one but I lucked out with a founders 3070ti at Best buy during a drop I saw while using the app so I went with that instead.

Anchovie123

So AMD gets all the good guy points for being so much cheaper then the 4090 despite the fact that its actually a 4080 competitor? :ROFLMAO:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
From consumer perspective: Not great, not terrible. If you’re willing to settle for 3090 - 3090 Ti RT performance to save $200 vs 4080 then it’s a good choice (although I think most people willing to spend this much on a GPU would just as soon spend the extra $200)

From AMD perspective this seems like a disappointment. It’s clearly not achieving what AMD was aiming for as Buggy Loop Buggy Loop pointed out.

Hopefully the inevitable 7950 will fix whatever it was that held the 7900 back so badly.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Honestly a bit disappointed. I was expecting the xtx to be much faster than the 4080. (But still slower than the 4090)
Instead we got a card that's neck and neck in raster with worse rt and power consumption. If this is what AMD is offering for their stuff I think I'll stick with an older high end 6000 series especially since the prices on those are dropping like flies

Last edited:

SolidQ

Hopefully the inevitable 7950 will fix whatever it was that held the 7900 back so badly.
There some people already found something new about RDNA3. gfx11 = RDNA3, gfx11.5 = RDNA3 refresh with RDNA4 sAlu. Gfx 12 = RDNA4.
Navi32 seems delaying to Fall 23, until bug fixed and top NAvi32 shoudl be = Radeon 7900XT and cheaper

Call of Duty players can easy take 7900XTX

210978ad152384db4a322255dfb1399a.png

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

There some people already found something new about RDNA3. gfx11 = RDNA3, gfx11.5 = RDNA3 refresh with RDNA4 sAlu. Gfx 12 = RDNA4.
Navi32 seems delaying to Fall 23, until bug fixed and top NAvi32 shoudl be = Radeon 7900XT and cheaper

Call of Duty players can easy take 7900XTX

210978ad152384db4a322255dfb1399a.png
as my video card is mainly a COD machine, this graph made me look at my 4090 in a way like "wtf u doin mate?" but then I saw the other graphs.... yeah not even close to the 4090.

Buggy Loop

The 7900 XTX is a great card that is trading blows with a 4080 at a smaller size, hundreds of pounds cheaper, uses less power.

Smaller cooler size? Maybe. That's a tradeoff in the temps you will have though as the AMD pulls more power. But technology wise, it's 1.4x the die area. So smaller is relative. It doesn't use less power if you looked at the review. In fact, it'll be interesting to see the 4080 OC'd to more similar power limits to see the difference.

And that's a big big big problem AMD has. For years and years peoples want AMD to compete only to buy cheaper Nvidia cards. Crazy the hold Nvidia has on dedicated GPUs.

Is this a common problem with AMD? I had a 6700XT I returned and was going to get another one but I lucked out with a founders 3070ti at Best buy during a drop I saw while using the app so I went with that instead.

Was it? First time i hear that RDNA 2 had a coil whine problem? I mean they all sort of do, it's lottery, but the gamers Nexus video with the coil whine was really bad.

It's 20% cheaper than the 4080. So that's a good price difference.

Nvidia is 20% more expensive : (1199/999-1)*100
AMD is 16.7% cheaper : (1-999/1199)*100

Maths..
maths GIF

Ev1L AuRoN

The only issue for me remains the FSR vs DLSS. AMD should stop being nice and put some silicon to work in order to be competitive. FSR already demands motion vector data meaning the price to implement is the same as DLSS, why not put some accelerators on their GPU and step up their game. Come on AMD.

Dural

Nvidia in trouble because the card hits 4GHz?
oh i don't know, a monster?
3% away from 4090?

Funny how we went from Nvidia killer, to within spitting distance of 4090, to oh shit wait, they're aiming for 4080, to now basically a 4080 equivalent card in rasterization with 4080 at STOCK clocks and better power consumptions. This atrociously priced butchered AD103 die that is an assault to anything good, ending up actually priced reasonably well against AMD's flagship.

We went from $999 6900XT competing against $1499 3090 last gen, trading blows, to this? RDNA 2 was better. I guess the saving grave for that gen was that Nvidia was stuck on Samsung.

There's no way internally that they started RDNA 3 with the intention of only competing with the AD103.

379 mm² - 315W
vs
531 mm² - 350W

2% difference in rasterization, -16% in RT (avg with many light ray tracing titles, -35% for Cyberpunk 2077, and that's before overdrive patch..)

What the hell?

Good for you i guess. I mean it seems the expectations of AMD being good here is that AMD is simply not Nvidia lol.

This card is making a case to sell 4080s, the ridiculously priced 4080 that is meant to sell 4090s and reduce ampere stock, it's making a case to sell the fucking thing because some peoples will see the price difference and say fuck it, RT's worth it, DLSS's worth it.

It's making a case that both are terrible values. If 4080 should be priced in as per 3080, then this is should also be at 6800XT price.

Hurray i guess. Man, we need intel to step it up if this is the state of things..

Agreed, 7900XTX is really 7800XT but they probably did what they did because of Nvidia's ridiculous pricing of the 4080. If 4080 was at the "normal" price of $700 we'd have a $700 7800XT and $600 7700XT rather than this BS.

Intel's drivers are getting better, hopefully by next gen they can actually disrupt the market.

b0uncyfr0

$900 near matching Nvidia's $1600. I'm not sure which direction that's telling in.

At least in rasterization. RT isn't bad either. Wondering why it would be worth near doubling the price for Nvidia, but they'll likely maintain the market lead regardless, they'll take what you'll pay.
How is the 7900xt matching the 4090..? The MW benches + F1 benches are an outlier - the xtx trades blows with the 4080, not the 4090.

bbeach123

Should have name it 7800xt .

Nvidia is 200$ more , better dlss , better ray tracing .

Basically same value .

Last edited:
4090 is on a league of its own as said before.

4080 x 7900XTX is a pretty good fight. AMDs card is cheaper, offers same or better raster performance and a bit slower but still decent rt performance. Not as bad as some of you are saying.

Mister Wolf

The only issue for me remains the FSR vs DLSS. AMD should stop being nice and put some silicon to work in order to be competitive. FSR already demands motion vector data meaning the price to implement is the same as DLSS, why not put some accelerators on their GPU and step up their game. Come on AMD.

DLSS at the moment is the only temporal upscaler that doesn't completely shit the bed using 1080p to get a 4K output.

MikeM

Same or better 4080 perf at a cheaper price? Note that the cheaper price will actually be more impactful in different countries. In Canada, if the 7900xtx is $300 cheaper, factor tax included it becomes about $340 cheaper.

I’m still eyeing a 7900xtx.

I so confused by everyone shitting on this.

Faster/As Fast (depending on games) as the 4080. 15% slower in RT (except CP2077) and much cheaper, seems like a win/win to me if your budget is around $1000 for a new GPU.
If you can budget $1000 for a GPU then you can budget $1200 as well. That’s the problem. It’s already absurd pricing, why not spend a bit more and get something better.

Top Bottom