• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 7900XTX and 7900XT review thread

Puscifer

Was it? First time i hear that RDNA 2 had a coil whine problem? I mean they all sort of do, it's lottery, but the gamers Nexus video with the coil whine was really bad.
I'm not familiar personally, I had REALLY bad whine on the 6700 XT, but that was also 100 over MSRP during my build and getting a 3070ti cheaper is the only reason. I wanted an AMD card just because I use linux and their drivers are much better.

No point in buying XT version.

7900XT is ok overall but it should cost ~800 bucks, with price like that value would be amazing.
I think that will be the case as time goes by and AMD releases newer products and GPU refreshes that target the 4090.

I honestly think that the biggest win AMD has with RDNA 3 is entry level gaming with APU's/iGPU implementation. Once phoenix releases, there will be nothing on the market competing with it.

FireFly

So basically AMD increased clock speed of RX 7900 XTX to keep up with RTX 4080, which made 20% more power hungry than RTX 4080.
The clock speed is barely better than RDNA 2. Hard to believe AMD intended only a 35% performance increase for more than double the number of transistors.

Scotracer

Neo Member
For the moment still very happy that I managed to upgrade from a 3070 to 3080 Ti for £100 (sold my 3070 for £400 and bought my Ti for £500).

Let's see how the generation progresses with these monster GPUs if they drag games to be too demanding or the fact the majority will stay on 20 and low 30 cards keeps things grounded.

Buggy Loop

performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png

This is not even considering the deep discounts we can see for the RDNA 2 series. Seriously, at this point in time, if you're thinking of buying a card and don't care about RT (as this argument keeps coming up), a deep discount 6800-6800 XT is almost an unbeatable value right now. Ampere hasn't dropped as drastically in price. At least in Canada.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Rasterization, no -- but if you care about RT then I suppose its the smart money play and now that you are spending $1000, why not spend $1200? If you can spend $1200, why not spend $1600?
I think this is exactly the case. Anybody in the market for a $1000+ gaming GPU isn’t looking at it from a strict cost/benefit perspective. These are people looking to splurge on a top of the line rig just for the excitement of having the best.

Sucks that that’s where the GPU market is right now, but it is what it is.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Rasterization, no -- but if you care about RT then I suppose its the smart money play and now that you are spending $1000, why not spend $1200? If you can spend $1200, why not spend $1600?
I think if you really care about ray tracing (which is a smaller niche than just enthusiast) you should go Nvidia and stop pretending AMD is gonna get on the same level any time soon, most people don't care about RT though.

Regarding your previous comment about spending 1200 if you're already spending 1000, that depends on each person and many would just prefer to put that money elsewhere, also in other countries, those $200 can be perceived a way bigger amount due to currency exchange rate.

I think this is exactly the case. Anybody in the market for a $1000+ gaming GPU isn’t looking at it from a strict cost/benefit perspective. These are people looking to splurge on a top of the line rig just for the excitement of having the best.

Sucks that that’s where the GPU market is right now, but it is what it is.
I think their midrange offerings will be key here but also feels like the XTX should have been at least $100 cheaper and the XT about $150 cheaper. Would make them a lot more attractive.

I think if you really care about ray tracing (which is a smaller niche than just enthusiast) you should go Nvidia and stop pretending AMD is gonna get on the same level any time soon, most people don't care about RT though.

Regarding your previous comment about spending 1200 if you're already spending 1000, that depends on each person and many would just prefer to put that money elsewhere, also in other countries, those $200 can be perceived a way bigger amount due to currency exchange rate.
I’m simply saying that if you are already spending a G on a card, it probably means you’re willing to spend a bit more to get something better. These cards aren’t for regular folks.

nbkicker

Ill have to wait and see, as last gpu i bought was a 2080 super , now looking at a 4080 or a 7900 xtx , but at the min the 4080 is a lot more expensive in the uk and dont think id fit it in my current case so would have to pay more out for a bigger case. Not gonna buy till after xmas so ill wait till a few people have them, plus wait to see what uk price for 7900 xtx comes out at

Buggy Loop

From Gamers Nexus

"Between the coil whine we demonstrated, the voltage regulation and especially the agressive V vios fan ramp with improper hysteresis that causes noisy fan behavior, we think you should probably skip the reference model and get a partner model instead"

But you don't need to change case? Only (2) 8-pin connectors?

There was a cost to that. AIBs at 3 slot designs and (3) 8-pin connectors, higher MSRP.

coastel

Not as good as I expected but obviously still good so I'll stick the the 4080 I've ordered. For £1,099 I got the 4080 for it isn't worth it, for me , to save a max of £100 for the 7900 xtx.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I’m simply saying that if you are already spending a G on a card, it probably means you’re willing to spend a bit more to get something better. These cards aren’t for regular folks.
Yeah, maybe you're thinking somebody may have a couple thousand dollars in the bank or use a credit card to make the purchase, but in reality many people save the money, see what's good enough for them and decides... Like if I have 700 and want to get a new card but these new ones are coming and can only add 300 to that, I'd be considering any of the 7900 a hell of a deal considering it's way better than anything Nvidia has around that price and RT is on par, and that's before switching decisions of getting something around 700 originally... As far a I've seen from friends, that's a very common case

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
From Gamers Nexus

"Between the coil whine we demonstrated, the voltage regulation and especially the agressive V vios fan ramp with improper hysteresis that causes noisy fan behavior, we think you should probably skip the reference model and get a partner model instead"

But you don't need to change case? Only (2) 8-pin connectors?

There was a cost to that. AIBs at 3 slot designs and (3) 8-pin connectors, higher MSRP.
Hwu5nAO.png

This seems pretty awful too.

Man, every generation I think “maybe AMD first party design will be good this time” only to be proved wrong.

DaGwaphics

Up to 1.7x from the 6950, 1.5 on average? Seems more like 1.25/3 for a price increase. What the hell happened there?

There isn't a price increase, not from launch MSRP to launch MSRP (the end of cycle discounts really don't figure in as they will quickly disappear).

6900xt launch price $999
6950xt launch price $1,099

7900xt launch price $899
7900xtx launch price $999

And even the 7900xt shows a performance improvement over the 6900 series cards (albeit a small one). Comparing these GPUs to the 6800 series because of Nvidias naming scheme is silly, the pricing matters the names don't. A modest increase of 25-30% is better than AMD just increasing the price by 25 or 30% which has been Nvidia's chosen path of late.

hinch7

Not as good as I expected but obviously still good so I'll stick the the 4080 I've ordered. For £1,099 I got the 4080 for it isn't worth it, for me , to save a max of £100 for the 7900 xtx.
With how much extra power Navi 31 consumes, that £100 saving makes it a null point in the long run. And you have way better Raytracing performance alongside DLSS with the 4080.

You got a great price for that GPU, I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
AMD made some users believe that RDNA 3 is massive efficient ,however, the story gone otherwise that even RX 7900 XT is using more power than RTX 4080.

Also Nvidia new cards are on 4nm node, AMD won't break the barriers of physics and make more power efficient cards at 5-6nm nodes

Last edited:

coastel

With how much extra power Navi 31 consumes, that £100 saving makes it a null point in the long run. And you have way better Raytracing performance alongside DLSS with the 4080.

You got a great price for that 4080, I wouldn't sweat it.
Yea im glad I did hold out for a while as the prices did go down a few times then finally broke when it got to that.

just happy it's here to give nvidia competition. these prices are retarded.

looks like it's not even a true chiplet design though (i.e., multiple GPUs slapped together). the only chiplet part is memory cache, unless im mistaken.

Yeah, maybe you're thinking somebody may have a couple thousand dollars in the bank or use a credit card to make the purchase, but in reality many people save the money, see what's good enough for them and decides... Like if I have 700 and want to get a new card but these new ones are coming and can only add 300 to that, I'd be considering any of the 7900 a hell of a deal considering it's way better than anything Nvidia has around that price and RT is on par, and that's before switching decisions of getting something around 700 originally... As far a I've seen from friends, that's a very common case
From my perspective, if I was going to buy a "high end" card, it would be the 7900 XTX and entirely due to price, but maybe being on boards like this has skewed my view of the average PC gamer. Guys like GHG GHG are not the norm with their fistfulls of high end GPUs.

I know this will sound like an excuse, but give AMD a break here...

Team Red is competing with Team Blue and Team Green at the same time. Current Zen 4 comes in between Alder Lake and Raptor Lake, and current RDNA3 comes in between 4080 and 4090 (Raster). It's not that bad, and they have managed to achieve a balance with efficiency and power versus brute forcing the fuck out of it with plenty of head room and dedicated R&D and resources.

The good news about AMD products is that it brings MORE people to PC gaming-particularly entry level gaming with decent performance at a reasonable price. It's like saying more people can afford to drive cars now as opposed to not driving cars at all because a select few drive Ferraris.

I know it's a shitty analogy and flawed emotional post. But whatever.

Buggy Loop

You got a great price for that GPU, I wouldn't sweat it.

Just saw on Linus tech tips that the 7900XTX draws up to 40-50W doing nothing

While 4080 idles at 15-20W

Yikes

At euro prices of electricity 👀

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know this will sound like an excuse, but give AMD a break here...

Team Red is competing with Team Blue and Team Green at the same time. Current Zen 4 comes in between Alder Lake and Raptor Lake, and current RDNA3 comes in between 4080 and 4090 (Raster). It's not that bad, and they have managed to achieve a balance with efficiency and power versus brute forcing the fuck out of it with plenty of head room and dedicated R&D and resources.

The good news about AMD products is that it brings MORE people to PC gaming-particularly entry level gaming with decent performance at a reasonable price. It's like saying more people can afford to drive cars now as opposed to not driving cars at all because a select few drive Ferraris.

I know it's a shitty analogy and flawed emotional post. But whatever.
I find the XTX a very interesting card if someone was staying in the 4080 price range

For my next build I was hoping for more and look forward to seeing the Red Devil version but I want all the frames and looking more like the 4090 for me coming up.

So looks like the rumors of the card being a technical failure are true unfortunately. Only trading blows with the RTX 4080 is raster performance is a huge failure for this card from a technical perspective as the entire goal of a chiplet-based GPU approach was to make more economical products, yet nVidia is able to equal/beat their top card with a lower BOM product. The saving grace would be if the card is actually available for the promised $1000 and not just marketing shenanigans in limited quantities/promotional pricing which seems to be the norm for GPU vendors these days.
This is not their max card what they could do.They have so many die space left that they could easily for 1400 dollars double the power of the 7900xtx and kill the 4090ti to nirvana.Maybe AMD is working on an 7950xtx with way more compute units.The 7900xtx has 84 they could do way more that or even double the Ray tracing performance would also explode would be even head to head or better than 4090.It only depends if AMD want that they will have the best card on this planet without competition if they want.
People should not forget the 7900xtx at 3 GHz would be head to head with the regular 4090.So you can all imagine a 7950 with 120 compute units

Last edited:

Xyphie

This is not their max card what they could do.They have so many die space left that they could easily for 1400 dollars double the power of the 7900xtx and kill the 4090ti to nirvana.Maybe AMD is working on an 7950xtx with way more compute units.The 7900xtx has 84 they could do way more that or even double the Ray tracing performance would also explode would be even head to head or better than 4090.It only depends if AMD want that they will have the best card on this planet without competition if they want.
People should not forget the 7900xtx at 3 GHz would be head to head with the regular 4090.So you can all imagine a 7950 with 120 compute units

You're incorrect. The 7900XTX features the full Navi 31 bin 96/96CU while the 7900XT is 84/96CU. So the only thing that can really be improved over the 7900XTX is:

1. GPU/RAM clock speeds
  2. The alleged 1-Hi MCDs which would increase the L3 cache from 96MB -> 192MB. Note that this won't really increase the compute performance of the card, so you'll only really see some improvement in bandwidth limited scenarios (so like raytracing, +4K resolutions and such).

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Takes like this give AMD supporters a bad name.

wfEseWc.png

Last edited:

hinch7

Yea im glad I did hold out for a while as the prices did go down a few times then finally broke when it got to that.
Good call tbh. While the 7900 series could(ve) offer great value going by previews and on paper.. over here, those cards aren't likely going to be anywhere near the value you get in the US/NA. At least at launch.

Also read that AMD don't even sell reference models in the UK. So we're left with AiB's cards.. which I'd expect to be at or around 4080 prices. At which point you're better off sticking with a 4080.

Why I am not the first one to say that lots of people have said that AdoredTV had a great video discussion it he said chances are really high that it will happen a 7950 on bigger die.the 7900xtx has die of 300 the 4090 has 608.

b0uncyfr0

This is not even considering the deep discounts we can see for the RDNA 2 series. Seriously, at this point in time, if you're thinking of buying a card and don't care about RT (as this argument keeps coming up), a deep discount 6800-6800 XT is almost an unbeatable value right now. Ampere hasn't dropped as drastically in price. At least in Canada.
Exactly what i was thinking. I dont need the raw power of an xtx (even though i want it). The XT is not worth it - better off getting the XTX.

At this point, if nothing comes into the upper-mid tier soon ; a deal on a 6800xt is hella worth it (Prob not in Eu though haha.. )

GHG

From my perspective, if I was going to buy a "high end" card, it would be the 7900 XTX and entirely due to price, but maybe being on boards like this has skewed my view of the average PC gamer. Guys like GHG GHG are not the norm with their fistfulls of high end GPUs.

Most people wouldn't be looking at the 7900XTX either. One look at the steam hardware survey shows that the sweet spot is the $400-$700 range.

Most people looking at the 7900XTX will also cross shop the 4080 and might even consider the 4090 in some circumstances.

Xellos

performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png

Perfectly illustrates the problem with these new cards from AMD and Nvidia - no value passed on to consumers. I'm really interested to see what Nvidia/AMD will offer when it comes time to release reasonably priced GPUs ($300-500).

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, the XTX is ok but nvidia stays winning imho. The 4080 pricing kinda seems justified now compared to it, being tied in rasterized, faster in ray tracing, cooler and quieter and less power consumption and nvidia features.

The XT is overpriced.

And 4090 stays in a league of its own.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why I am not the first one to say that lots of people have said that AdoredTV had a great video discussion it he said chances are really high that it will happen a 7950 on bigger die.the 7900xtx has die of 300 the 4090 has 608.
Because you have no idea what you're talking about. "Just make a bigger die" is a lolworthy conclusion and AMD can't just double their RT performance because they want to.

Buggy Loop

I want to stress this again, from a purely technology standpoint

4080 379 mm² - 315W
vs
7900XTX 531 mm² - 350W

2% difference in rasterization, -16% in RT (avg with many light ray tracing titles, -35% for Cyberpunk 2077, and that's before overdrive patch..)

HOW THE HELL is the 4080 not getting slaughtered especially since the RDNA3 doe not come close to the silicon allocation for RT dedicated cores and ML as Nvidia does?

How the fuck is Nvidia getting away with this, holy shit they just shamed AMD's engineering team.

That 200$ difference will evaporate when you get equivalent cooling performances and noise as the founder's edition so.. Who wants that coil whine high noise fan reference card for the 7900XTX?

I can't believe they made the 4080 an attractive buy, fucking nvidia..

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Most people looking at the 7900XTX will also cross shop the 4080 and might even consider the 4090 in some circumstances.
More or less what I was saying in previous comments. Anyone that resigns themselves to spending $1000 on a GPU is probably also going to be looking at more expensive ones as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m miss the days when Radeon was owned by ATI. They were legit competitive in every way.

Modern Radeon is just there to keep nvidia from charging whatever they want (at least for the non-4090 and up cards). 4090 Ti is going to be $2k like the 3090 Ti at this rate.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I find this somewhat hard to believe considering 4080 sales have been disappointing while 4090 is still sold out. Is there really that big of a market of gamers for whom $1200 is too much but $1000 (with lower RT performance) is attractive?

Loxus

wfEseWc.png
I think what he means is if AMD wanted to, they could design a better card.
The 4090 is a 608 mm² chip, while the 7900XTX is only a 306 mm² chip. This is minus the 37.5 mm² MCDs of course.
That 306 mm² is around the same size as the PS5's chip.
The 6900XT is 520 mm².

This is advantage of going the chiplet route.
For example, AMD can design 406 or 506 mm² RDNA3 chip if they wanted to that can surely beat the 4090.
AMD is kind of playing games at the moment with die sizes.

Top Bottom