• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen is now free to play – for a week

Fredrik

It's a fantastic looking thing in an isolated environment with no context and no testing. It is the screenshot game of the century. Nobody denies that. In fact it is arguably the best example in gaming of what could be if there was a developer out there that actually knew what they were doing and given a good budget. The problem is that they claim to be a legitimate game and actively try to bring more suckers into the ruse despite this being an obvious money grab with benefits at this point. A proper game developer could have made a fantastic functional game of amazing quality with half the amount of money they have had in half the fucking time. They could have done so in a few years with a fraction of the money they have wasted.

This has not been a few years now though. Its been nearly a god damn decade. Hundreds of millions of dollars donated and then promptly wasted in an endless pursuit of feature creep.

Scam Citizen has earned its name. I pray no one ever forgets it.
It’s clearly still early access but sold as if it’s a full release, for that it deserves to be criticised, especially when they already have a shop in place to buy in game currency and content.

But I haven’t been scammed in this free to play period. I honestly have no issues to jump in to try how it’s progressing as long as it’s free, then I can see it as a demo, and like a demo it’s interesting.

However, if I feel like a game is wasting my time I usually jump out, free or not. And that’s where it is for me right now. If people can wait for new gamers by the quest locations, which I assume happened since I saw no activity when flying in, and then blow them to bits for parts or whatever then it’s a broken game I have no interest in playing.

They need to have an opt-in mechanic for pvp kills, otherwise there is no point trying to build a universe, just make it an arena. There is always going to be a douche with no life and a big gun just sitting there waiting for new victims.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Nope. Grats he proved it (baited), I still think he's fucking retarded and that won't change. I've seen people spend TONS of money on Diablo fucking Immortal so I'm not surprised at this.

The fucking game sucks. The only thing its good for is flying around. The combat is complete fucking dogshit. It's buggy as ALL fuck. It's unoptimized (I do get high fps with a 3080 and 10900k, but still). Graphically it's not even that impressive ANYMORE.

Calling someone out of nothing a fucking retard, as if i was spending your money or something. Their are worst things you can do. Go to a random spectrum thread or SC reddit. People will laugh, since their are thousands and thousands of people who have at least dropped more then 1K. I know people who have dropped over 50K…and yes it completely nuts, but wouldn’t call them idiots because it’s not my money.

And then there are people who think i have no social life lol. I’m on vacation right now with my fam, i do a lot with friends after work or in the weekends. Do i have a 4 year old son who loves lego right now and trying to play GT7 a little bit.

Yeah a lot of backers out there who have no social life. But the fun things is, this community is just one big family. Everyone is nice to each other, i’ve met a lot of people at CitizenCon or other devs. I've even made sure that backers who aren't very strong socially and don't dare to come to events, just persuade them and make them feel good.

For me Star Citizen is more then just a game.

Last edited:
Played some more yesterday, what is it now, day 4 perhaps?

Area18 again as the start point. Strolled around for a bit, it’s looking nice, looks like Cyberpunk:

AITe4z5.jpg

Found two twins where one was going to kill himself and the other one was like:
”- pfff whatever I don’t care”

66mbfrK.jpg

Eventually decided to do a mission, couldn’t find any bunker mission but found a delivery mission that seemed alright. I chose a new ship, bigger one with several doors, still possible to fly solo, and head off in space.

bYB6dQW.jpg

q3aacvP.jpg

9ypuIGS.jpg

When down to the spot where I should do the mission and was able to land nice and easily.
HQhaO41.jpg

Ms44579.jpg

y2gUVG7.jpg

And then I started to gear up but couldn’t equip the helmet for some reason… Didn’t even see it in the inventory.
Did I forget to bring it? Is it a bug?
So I started to google for possible solutions or bugs but couldn’t find anything that helped me.

Tried to step outside without the helmet on but nearly died and returned to the ship and healed myself up again.

Hmm, what now? Back to Area18 and buy a helmet? Run like crazy in to the building without helmet?

Then explosions started. What?! And then the ship blew up. Killed by another gamer. Back at Area18 again. Still no income.

I've tried to play this game a bit these last couple days just like you. My experience is some what similar.
However when I started a couple days ago I had some funny bugs.

First try. I get up out of my bed, I'm falling through the floor. Can see through the level. Wake up in the hospital 10 seconds later like wtf?
Second try. All went ok til I bought a multi tool in the shop. Press inventory and the game crashed. xD
Third try. I wake up bleeding out. Get a message that says kill yourself with backspace and wake up the hospital. Frustrating.

I guess now I know how console players felt when playing Cyberpunk at launch.

I powered through the bugs, low fps and finally got a ship and took a trip to another planet.
The ships are definitely the highlight of SC. I love the interiors, and all of them feel different. Flying is easy enough. Would love to try it with a flightstick once.

Today's session started on a mining station and on it I got around 80 fps. Feels way better than the low 20 in the planet hub.
Tried a delivery mission but Im done now. The performance is killing my desire to continue on.
Would love to try an offline version of SC.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Nope. Grats he proved it (baited), I still think he's fucking retarded and that won't change. I've seen people spend TONS of money on Diablo fucking Immortal so I'm not surprised at this.

The fucking game sucks. The only thing its good for is flying around. The combat is complete fucking dogshit. It's buggy as ALL fuck. It's unoptimized (I do get high fps with a 3080 and 10900k, but still). Graphically it's not even that impressive ANYMORE.
You poverish bitches got slapped hard if I were you I would quit this thread out of embarrassment.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I've tried to play this game a bit these last couple days just like you. My experience is some what similar.

First try. I get up out of my bed, I'm falling through the floor. Can see through the level. Wake up in the hospital 10 seconds later like wtf?
Second try. All went ok til I bought a multi tool in the shop. Press inventory and the game crashed. xD
Third try. I wake up bleeding out. Get a message that says kill yourself with backspace and wake up the hospital. Frustrating.

I powered through the bugs, low fps and finally got a ship and took a trip to another planet.
The ships are definitely the highlight of SC. I love the interiors, and all of them feel different. Flying is easy enough. Would love to try it with a flightstick once.

Today's session started on a mining station and on it I got around 80 fps. Feels way better than the low 20 in the planet hub.
Tried a delivery mission but Im done now. The performance is killing my desire to continue on.
Lol yeah it’s very very buggy, haven’t fallen through the geometry but I’ve opened elevator doors only to just stare out into the open void…
- ooookay, is it safe to take a step here?
Geometry always load in when inside the elevator though.

Offline SC would be very interesting!

Starfield comes out next year though! 👍

Loope

I'm still trying to figure why this project triggers some so much? Why are they so mad at the grown smart men/women who supports it. Let them enjoy their thing and just go play with your children toys. There easy solution - everyone's happy.
That's always my stance in these threads.Why the fuck does this triggers so many grown ups to the point of name calling? I never spent money on an alpha a personally i wouldn't do it, but i know i did other things with money other people might consider stupid.

Just take care of your money, buy your shit and shut the fuck up about the "scam". Until there is a lawsuit and proof of a scam you're only looking like a child throwing a tantrum because people are spending THEIR money, not yours. Grow up and move on.

ShadowNate

ShenaniganNinja Superbacker
Here we are almost a decade after the kickstarter. 8 years since the project was supposed to be delivered. Still no singleplayer campaign.

Travis Superbacker
(...) I salute your vigilance toward warning people about the MLM scam that is Star Citizen.

Jeffrey
Did the game ever release?\
  • James Bauer
    Nope, he's still scamming people outside Kickstarter

Scam.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just take care of your money, buy your shit and shut the fuck up about the "scam". Until there is a lawsuit and proof of a scam you're only looking like a child throwing a tantrum because people are spending THEIR money, not yours. Grow up and move on.

Sorry fam, that's not going to happen in a thread literally called Scam Citizen. Besides its far too much fun.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's a fantastic looking thing in an isolated environment with no context and no testing. It is the screenshot game of the century. Nobody denies that. In fact it is arguably the best example in gaming of what could be if there was a developer out there that actually knew what they were doing and given a good budget. The problem is that they claim to be a legitimate game and actively try to bring more suckers into the ruse despite this being an obvious money grab with benefits at this point. A proper game developer could have made a fantastic functional game of amazing quality with half the amount of money they have had in half the fucking time. They could have done so in a few years with a fraction of the money they have wasted on this nonsense. We have literally seen it happen with developers like CD Projekt pumping out a game of the generation quality product like Witcher 3 for a fraction of the price in just a few years.

This has not been a few years now though. Its been nearly a god damn decade. Hundreds of millions of dollars donated and then promptly wasted in an endless pursuit of feature creep and more donations.

Scam Citizen has earned its name. I pray no one ever forgets it.

No.

God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West both took 5 years to develop. Both are extremely safe in terms of scope + design, and both are made by respected, well funded developers.

People shouldn't be shocked that a game as ambitious as Star Citizen is taking 12+ years of development considering Cloud Imperium didn't exist 12+ years ago. Long gone is the era of AAA taking 3 years to produce a game.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Is there something to shoot besides lasers and players? Like bad aliens/monsters?

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
If people can wait for new gamers by the quest locations, which I assume happened since I saw no activity when flying in, and then blow them to bits for parts or whatever then it’s a broken game I have no interest in playing.

They need to have an opt-in mechanic for pvp kills, otherwise there is no point trying to build a universe, just make it an arena. There is always going to be a douche with no life and a big gun just sitting there waiting for new victims.
I’ve honestly grown tired of PVP in open world multiplayer games. There’s never any actual bounty mechanic that can be implemented that’s worth a damn because if you make it lucrative, gamers will just coordinate with friends and kill one another to milk easy rewards. So you end up with assholes clubbing baby seals with impunity.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’ve honestly grown tired of PVP in open world multiplayer games. There’s never any actual bounty mechanic that can be implemented that’s worth a damn because if you make it lucrative, gamers will just coordinate with friends and kill one another to milk easy rewards. So you end up with assholes clubbing baby seals with impunity.

Unless the bounty system is...random?

That was an easy fix.

Fredrik

That was an easy fix.
Can still be used the same way, random loot shared among a group of similar minded friends.

Why not have a separate server with pvp? Then the people who enjoy competing or being dickheads or whatever can do that and those who want to just role play a space adventure in peace can do that. Everybody is happy.

Or why not just make it possible to deactivate online activity? Like in NMS, Elden Ring.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can still be used the same way, random loot shared among a group of similar minded friends.

Why not have a separate server with pvp? Then the people who enjoy competing or being dickheads or whatever can do that and those who want to just role play a space adventure in peace can do that. Everybody is happy.

Or why not just make it possible to deactivate online activity? Like in NMS, Elden Ring.

Or just let them design the game they want?

This broke the game for me. I actually had decent fun. Then I didn’t. Glad I could try it without wasting any money though, I’ll try again when there is another free to play period and single player mode.

I agree they should take out the pvp.

Imagine a MMO. Noobie does the first quest. Pick 10 flowers in meadow.
And when they about to turn in the quest for xp they get 1 hit by a lv 100 player standing next to the quest giver.

It sucks but that happens in SC. Most mmo use a duel system. Can't just kill other players like that.

Fredrik

I agree they should take out the pvp.

Imagine a MMO. Noobie does the first quest. Pick 10 flowers in meadow.
And when they about to turn in the quest for xp they get 1 hit by a lv 100 player standing next to the quest giver.

It sucks but that happens in SC. Most mmo use a duel system. Can't just kill other players like that.
Yeah. Would be fun to see what kind of ship that shot me, the size of it. I was in the cargo space fiddling in my inventory, couldn’t see shit. About 5 explosions was all it took, then… BOOOOM!!

I went back to play No Man’s Sky instead today. Awesome game! ❤️

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah. Would be fun to see what kind of ship that shot me, the size of it. I was in the cargo space fiddling in my inventory, couldn’t see shit. About 5 explosions was all it took, then… BOOOOM!!

Lol what does size of ship has to do with it? It could’ve been another entry ship. If this really bothers you, then yes Star Citizen is not a game for you. Taking out PVP out of the game would only limit everything and wouldn’t make any sense in this MMO and their goal.

We have other games for this, leave SC how it is, doing everything you want without any limits, by the UEE laws.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If anyone is thinking of pledging and joining in on the alpha you can use my referral code (STAR-KNNG-4F2N) to get a free Dragonfly speeder with Lifetime insurance. Its worth $40 and you can upgrade it later to get Lifetime insurance on a bigger ship. The code is STAR-KNNG-4F2N and my profile is https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Redfoxx777 . Add me as a friend or hit me up here and I can teach you how to play. We have a small group that plays together most nights.

Last edited:

Rambone

Lol what does size of ship has to do with it? It could’ve been another entry ship. If this really bothers you, then yes Star Citizen is not a game for you. Taking out PVP out of the game would only limit everything and wouldn’t make any sense in this MMO and their goal.

We have other games for this, leave SC how it is, doing everything you want without any limits, by the UEE laws.

This game has PVP and that was the goal from day 1 but there are some things you should understand about it. There are going to be areas that are going to be (relatively) safe and unsafe. It's probably not wise to loiter around for too long in a place that is unprotected by an armistice zone or not monitored by the UEE or local security forces. Security Forces are worthless in this stage of the game but the idea is in the future there is going to be much much less incentive to stir up trouble in monitored or high security areas. Just like in real life, if you go out trying to shoot up people in public or commit crimes, odds are you are going to land in prison or shot to death by the local police, this wouldn't be any different in Star Citizen. Right now since there is only one system to explore, it's not impossible to cross paths with other hostile players. For what is is worth, during my play sessions I rarely run into other players outside of landing zones or hostile players for that matter. As far as getting your revenge, the game does normally let you report a player for hostile interactions in certain areas which will award them a crime stat which can land them in jail if caught or killed by security forces/UEE. They will have to serve out time in Prison and the amount of time will depend on the severity of their crime or crimestat. Eventually when the game does expand beyond Stanton, odds are is that players will be more spread out and the likelihood that you will encounter hostile players could end up being much less. For high traffic low security area's, it's not a bad idea to group up with another player for some protection.

In the meantime, it sucks when you get splattered but as long as you are reasonably cautious and aware of where you are at, you should be okay. Don't let this one experience sour your opinion, it's not normal. If I happen to land in a server full of dicks, I'll just log out and hop into a different server that is more chill, easy peasy. NMS is a great game btw!

Fredrik

This game has PVP and that was the goal from day 1 but there are some things you should understand about it. There are going to be areas that are going to be (relatively) safe and unsafe. It's probably not wise to loiter around for too long in a place that is unprotected by an armistice zone or not monitored by the UEE or local security forces. Security Forces are worthless in this stage of the game but the idea is in the future there is going to be much much less incentive to stir up trouble in monitored or high security areas. Just like in real life, if you go out trying to shoot up people in public or commit crimes, odds are you are going to land in prison or shot to death by the local police, this wouldn't be any different in Star Citizen. Right now since there is only one system to explore, it's not impossible to cross paths with other hostile players. For what is is worth, during my play sessions I rarely run into other players outside of landing zones or hostile players for that matter. As far as getting your revenge, the game does normally let you report a player for hostile interactions in certain areas which will award them a crime stat which can land them in jail if caught or killed by security forces/UEE. They will have to serve out time in Prison and the amount of time will depend on the severity of their crime or crimestat. Eventually when the game does expand beyond Stanton, odds are is that players will be more spread out and the likelihood that you will encounter hostile players could end up being much less. For high traffic low security area's, it's not a bad idea to group up with another player for some protection.

In the meantime, it sucks when you get splattered but as long as you are reasonably cautious and aware of where you are at, you should be okay. Don't let this one experience sour your opinion, it's not normal. If I happen to land in a server full of dicks, I'll just log out and hop into a different server that is more chill, easy peasy. NMS is a great game btw!
I’m out for now, feels like I’m wasting my time tbh, I’ll check back another free to play period if they finalize some of those changes.
But it’s interesting to hear you can frame someone, actually tried to find some info who killed me since I didn’t catch the name when it happened, but couldn’t find any info at all about that.

Meicyn

Gold Member

That was an easy fix.
The worst part is that I’m sure you actually think this is a clever solution.

The whole point is to prevent exploitation because currency imbalance ruins in-game economies. Making it random doesn’t remove the core problem, it just makes the results less consistent. The effort of killing a friend who is willing to let themselves lose on purpose with the possibility of big payouts makes the activity easy to begin with. You’re creating a casino version of fish in a barrel.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The worst part is that I’m sure you actually think this is a clever solution.

The whole point is to prevent exploitation because currency imbalance ruins in-game economies. Making it random doesn’t remove the core problem, it just makes the results less consistent. The effort of killing a friend who is willing to let themselves lose on purpose with the possibility of big payouts makes the activity easy to begin with. You’re creating a casino version of fish in a barrel.

Making something random is...clever?

Lol, no.

The idea that a bounty system can never be designed so that it can't be exploited is beyond dumb. Game developers are literal Gods creating little universes who can play with any rule, incentive, punishment they think up. The Star Citizen bounty system we see today will look and perform significantly better in the future.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Lol, no.

The idea that a bounty system can never be designed so that it can't be exploited is beyond dumb. Game developers are literal Gods creating little universes who can play with any rule, incentive, punishment they think up. The Star Citizen bounty system we see today will look and perform significantly better in the future.
In essence, you don’t understand the root game design problem on why no one has made a workable solution since Ultima Online debuted in 1997.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In essence, you don’t understand the root game design problem on why no one has made a workable solution since Ultima Online debuted in 1997.

Yeah, no.

This is a very solvable design issue. We've only now entered the era of open world multiplayer so we can expect a bunch of studios to take a shot at it.

Btw, it sounds like Star Wars Galaxies had a working bounty system that people enjoyed. Ark Survival Evolved has a working one too.

This has already been solved.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yeah, no.

This is a very solvable design issue. We've only now entered the era of open world multiplayer so we can expect a bunch of studios to take a shot at it.

Btw, it sounds like Star Wars Galaxies had a working bounty system that people enjoyed. Ark Survival Evolved has a working one too.

This has already been solved.
Just now entered? Open world multiplayer started as far back as 1997. We’re going on twenty-five years of open world multiplayer bruh.

Then you go and reference a dead MMO whose bounty system revolved around the permadeath of jedi characters. It’s the only reason it sort of worked, because being able to lose your character permanently is a huge incentive to not be an asshole online. And the permadeath of jedi system was unpopular, so that was later changed, thus removing the incentive of being a bounty hunter in that universe. Then they revamped it so anyone could roll a jedi at the start of the game. Dead game is dead, trying to bring it up as a success story is laughable.

Ark doesn’t have a persistent world, it’s all instanced. The issue of clubbing baby seals is irrelevant here, you can avoid the problem altogether… you can literally create a solo instance. The fact that you brought it up is hilarious.

But it’s not surprising. After all, you actually posted this moonbrain content:

That was an easy fix.
lmao

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just now entered? Open world multiplayer started as far back as 1997. We’re going on twenty-five years of open world multiplayer bruh.

Then you go and reference a dead MMO whose bounty system revolved around the permadeath of jedi characters. It’s the only reason it sort of worked, because being able to lose your character permanently is a huge incentive to not be an asshole online. And the permadeath of jedi system was unpopular, so that was later changed, thus removing the incentive of being a bounty hunter in that universe. Then they revamped it so anyone could roll a jedi at the start of the game. Dead game is dead, trying to bring it up as a success story is laughable.

Ark doesn’t have a persistent world, it’s all instanced. The issue of clubbing baby seals is irrelevant here, you can avoid the problem altogether… you can literally create a solo instance. The fact that you brought it up is hilarious.

But it’s not surprising. After all, you actually posted this moonbrain content:

lmao

1997...the era open world multiplayer begun, lol.

iHaunter

BTW you get higher performance on Very High than Low. At least for me.

Rambone

I’m out for now, feels like I’m wasting my time tbh, I’ll check back another free to play period if they finalize some of those changes.
But it’s interesting to hear you can frame someone, actually tried to find some info who killed me since I didn’t catch the name when it happened, but couldn’t find any info at all about that.

Hopefully next free fly is better. 3.17.1 overall is a pretty buggy patch, once you get beyond the excitement of the first hour or two the bugs start getting in the way of any real lasting enjoyment depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Progress will also be wiped when 3.17.2 goes live, so it's not a great time to go balls deep until 3.17.2 hits.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
[/URL][/URL]

Yeah, it’s abundantly clear you have no idea what you’re talking about. We’re done here.

Correction, we never launched because humans landed on the moon in 1969 but the $200 billion dollar a year (and growing) game industry will never figure out how to make a working bounty system in a multiplayer videogame.

Because a team of 50 making a low budget videogame in 1997 thought of literally everything.

Last edited:
Before I played Star Citizen I asumed stuff like Starfield, with different levels and not one persistent world, was fake.
But after trying SC for myself and seeing how long it takes to travel from planet to orbit or from 1 spot to another on the same planet I'm not sure I care anymore.
Quantum travel feels like regular fast travel. Only with a waiting time that's probably longer than if it was just a loading screen.

I appreciate that it's all 1 continues experience but it's not necessary to use such a system anywhere else.

Fredrik

Lol, no.

Whatever they’re doing isn’t going to be enough. It never is.

If I feel like stop playing because I got killed then the person who killed me should feel like they want to stop playing as well.

An eye for an eye.

Otherwise the balance will be wrong and it’ll just be another type of gameplay loop for people who enjoy making other people miserable or don’t want to earn money by themselves so they kill and rob instead.

What do these groups of people bring to the game anyway? Start culling the bad eggs. Ban them from the game for a year. Forbid them to have any control of their money for a year. No transactions or gifts or anything. Serial killer scenario, wipe the account, take all in game money and send to the victims, or start pulling real money from their credit card to fund the game 😇

Last edited:

MadAnon

Before I played Star Citizen I asumed stuff like Starfield, with different levels and not one persistent world, was fake.
But after trying SC for myself and seeing how long it takes to travel from planet to orbit or from 1 spot to another on the same planet I'm not sure I care anymore.
Quantum travel feels like regular fast travel. Only with a waiting time that's probably longer than if it was just a loading screen.

I appreciate that it's all 1 continues experience but it's not necessary to use such a system anywhere else.
Yeah, seems like this game is extremely niche product. It's pushing way too hard in the direction of simulation to catch the attention of mass market. Everything just takes way too long to do and eventually becomes tedious and annoying. As I said, it has it's niche market with plenty of whales just like EVE, but it's in no way a game of all games like some are trying to sell it.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
i5 12600k and RTX 3080 here, playing at 1080p and the performance is STILL awful. Every couple of months I get the itch to try this game again, install it, get frustrated by the janky performance or get lost trying to find my spaceship, and uninstall it half an hour later.

manfestival

i5 12600k and RTX 3080 here, playing at 1080p and the performance is STILL awful. Every couple of months I get the itch to try this game again, install it, get frustrated by the janky performance or get lost trying to find my spaceship, and uninstall it half an hour later.
Yeah sooo I have a 12600k and 6800k and the performance is pretty rough planetside but becomes ok in space. Really hate that it has been this way for so long. Also went through the whole uninstall phase multiple times with this game.

Patrick S.

Banned
the performance is pretty rough planetside but becomes ok in space.

Yeah, and that's just not good enough. You can't build a game with space stations full of npcs that have every individual nose hair modeled, but have 1990 era level of performance as a tradeoff, and where framerates are only "ok" in empty space. It's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom