• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen is now free to play – for a week

hemo memo

Gold Member

"After ten years and almost $500m dollars in crowdfunding, Star Citizen is still in alpha, but at least now it has new commerce options, some cheaper ships — and for the next week, the option to play for free.

From July 8 to July 15, Star Citizen is running its “free fly” event, which means you can hop in and try the ambitious space sim without having to shell out for a starter pack. You can also save money on a ship. Whereas some models, like the Legatus, can run you up to $40,000 of real actual money, for the next seven days you can have access to the Cutlass, the Avenger Titan, the Dragonfly, the Arrow, or the Mercury absolutely free of charge – though you will have to give them back, or choose to purchase them, once the promotion ends.

If after the free fly you decide you want to stick around with Star Citizen, until July 18 Cloud Imperium is also offering some discounted starter packs, which means your first ship and accompanying features can come cheaper than normal. Similarly, if you follow the game’s referral program and recruit a friend to play, you’ll score some promotional points that you can trade for badges, gold, weapons, and vehicles."

200.gif
The funnest thing is that you have to buy "Insurance" to a fucking imaginary video game ship. It is so ridiculous that it is like something out of a Black Mirror episode.

Topher

Gold Member
Free week = Gotta catch more whales.

That coke is not going to buy itself.

You gotta wonder about these people spending 10s of thousands of dollars on a game like this. My hope is these are just rich as hell nerds who don't have a real social life and so their online persona is what defines them. There are people like that and that's completely fine if it makes them happy. But if some idiot is maxing our credit cards at the expense of his family or something like that then that's a real problem. Ultimately, it is their money to do with as these please. I just hope, for their sake, that they are not spending beyond their means.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Well, why should you understand? What do you even know about it?

I'm into flight and space sims. I have a lot of old ones, I have Elite, I have No Man's Sky (I fell for the bullshit that "it got a lot better over time". It didn't). I have an entry package with Star Citizen.
I know which one is getting the most of my attention and giving me most fun in return, on average.

Also, since we are on it. Here's Mister "This sums it up" trying the game again:

Guess what? He's liking it.

I guess, it must be worth it for you, if you are coping with it and desperate. It's still disgusting they are charging you for a buggy clunky mess of a game that might never be released. I have played it btw.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You gotta wonder about these people spending 10s of thousands of dollars on a game like this. My hope is these are just rich as hell nerds who don't have a real social life and so their online persona is what defines them. There are people like that and that's completely fine if it makes them happy. But if some idiot is maxing our credit cards at the expense of his family or something like that then that's a real problem. Ultimately, it is their money to do with as these please. I just hope, for their sake, that they are not spending beyond their means.

I’ve spend 9k, looking at your post, i must have no social life, no kid, girlfriend/wife or friends…such a shame 🥹.

Always funny how people are so fake concerned about peoples spending when it comes to SC.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Lol what a ludicrously silly headline. It's like free flight weeks much bigger than this (in which you can fly ALL the ships) don't happen very regularly.

Also this is hilarious.

The Legatus PACK is not a ship model. There's no ship called Legatus. It's literally a package including all the ships. It's always hilarious when a writer obviously doesn't know what he's writing about, which in Star Citizen's case is also very common. 😂
So.....$40,000 for 'all ships' you are considering ok? You don't see anything wrong with that?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So.....$40,000 for 'all ships' you are considering ok? You don't see anything wrong with that?

No, don't you see?! You can totes earn those ships in game! And why would you ever want every single ship?! that just makes no sense?!?! /s

Don't try to use logic on those in a cult, Calvin.

Sentenza

I guess, it must be worth it for you, if you are coping with it and desperate. It's still disgusting they are charging you for a buggy clunky mess of a game that might never be released. I have played it btw.
What the fuck are you even rambling about?
Did you get some cruel form of meningitis?

Topher

Gold Member
I’ve spend 9k, looking at your post, i must have no social life, no kid, girlfriend/wife or friends…such a shame 🥹.

Always funny how people are so fake concerned about peoples spending when it comes to SC.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I just don't know anyone who has ever spent that amount of money on a game. Creating caricature descriptions out of that ignorance was thoughtless. I apologize.

Fredrik

Instead of just sit here trolling, use the time to go try it while it’s free. I don’t plan to spend a cent but I plan to check for myself what it actually is since neither fans or haters can be fully trusted from what I’ve seen so far.

Fredrik

So, there was a wait or pay scenario when I wanted to claim a ship, pay 3,000 UEC or wait 9 minutes. That is so not cool.

But its 9000 dollars though. How many lapdances can that get you 😛 . In all seriousness its your money so you can obviously do with it what you please.

Me? I'd go to the best titty bar in town with 9 grand.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So, there was a wait or pay scenario when I wanted to claim a ship, pay 3,000 UEC or wait 9 minutes. That is so not cool.

It’s not going to change. Larger ships have a longer waiting time. I think my Carrack or other larger ship is around 30/40 min. It’s not weird and or new in gaming.

It also has to do with the fact that they want players to be careful with their ships. Also, someone who hunts other players should not have their ship available again immediately. But then again, it's tricky when you only have 1 ship. Fortunately you have more at your disposal in this free flight.

Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation free titty and lapdances for me in the house so.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s not going to change. Larger ships have a longer waiting time. I think my Carrack or other larger ship is around 30/40 min. It’s not weird and or new in gaming.

It also has to do with the fact that they want players to be careful with their ships. Also, someone who hunts other players should not have their ship available again immediately. But then again, it's tricky when you only have 1 ship. Fortunately you have more at your disposal in this free flight.

Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation free titty and lapdances for me in the house so.
I haven’t seen this outside of mobile. It’s awful no matter how you look at it.

How much money do you have?

I could be a billionaire and still never buy one micro transaction. I can't wrap my head around why anyone but some gen z Fortnite hoppers could be conditioned to spend real money on game content post the initial purchase.

Fredrik

Anyhow, another play session, for some reason I have more in-game money now, if only 1,000 more. No idea why, I haven’t sold anything.
Oh well, not complaining.

More flying, back to Area18, starter planet, tried another ship again.
GpPitBk.jpg

Almost crashed in the hangar, forgot to activate the landing gear. Oops!
As usual I got a warning for obstructing an active flight bay or something like that. What am I doing wrong?
8D3H04D.jpg

AP4nqZG.jpg

FA522bL.jpg

This city looks like something from Cyberpunk
S9fPI0v.jpg

DA9Unnn.jpg

AllBizness

Banned
Computer upgrades. Glorious pc master race with 128gb of ram, 32gb graphics cards, i9 sentuple core processors and super solid ssssdxXXL drives.

But seriously the game isn't optimized since it's pc only. Pushing boundries means it will be several gpus before it gets maxed out easily. Star Citizen is the new Crysis.
Ca t wait to see how a 4090 will run Star Citizen

Fredrik

I genuinely believe it sounds great. Making engagements have more drama / meaning is an advancement of the medium.
For me it’s like loading a game on C64 cassette tape and someone greedy says ”pay and you can get to load from this SSD instead”.
No Man’s Sky added waiting time on big constructions. I just ended up playing something else instead. Not a fan of waiting, I have enough issues finding the time to play as it is.

Ca t wait to see how a 4090 will run Star Citizen
10-15% better after accounting for shit drivers, overheating, liquid cooling, crap ssds, Windows sucking off memory, steam doing weird shit in the background, config.sys, ini files, autoexec.bat, lag on the hotas thrustmaster, aggregated sky gps, weather systems, Warp/OS, AOL subsidies and whatever else goes into the magic we call PC Master Race.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This would’ve happen eventually before server meshing. And they can do it, since it’s aUEC and not UEC. If you participated during the events like Jumptown, Nine tails lockdown or the one at Orison, Then they will compensate you once 3.17.2 goes live.

I have around 1.5 million UEC, and i go back to 200k i do not bother since i have a lot of items in my inventory, i only have to buy some ammo and meds. Everything you find in loot crated will carry over. Only consumables and ammo won’t but that’s not really a problem. Go loot some outposts, they have a lot of loot crates with weapons, armor or even other stuff. Leave it in the outpost inventory (not in the crates) and eventually it will go to your global inventory when 3.17.2 is live. That means you do not have to transport the items, and sell what you want later or not.
The only thing I care about are the ships I'll lose. I'll grind up the auec again once the wipe happens. My pledge is a just the Titan. So I'll have that, but I assume all the attachments I bought for it will also be gone. I did not participate in Jumptown or any of the other events. I was taking a break and getting into some other games, but earning money is not difficult. I got pretty good rep and they said they won't wipe that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
For me it’s like loading a game on C64 cassette tape and someone greedy says ”pay and you can get to load from this SSD instead”.
No Man’s Sky added waiting time on big constructions. I just ended up playing something else instead. Not a fan of waiting, I have enough issues finding the time to play as it is.

Is it possible that the early implementation of waiting as a game mechanic hasn't really been explored and implemented to it's full potential yet?

OOGABOOGA

Banned
What the fuck are you even rambling about?
Did you get some cruel form of meningitis?
What you just said!!! Didn't you just say you are playing this game cus there is a lack of games of this genre, not necessarily cus it's good lol. I'm confused how is this rambling when I just rephrased what you just said...

Ivan

I wonder why can't we have more simplified space sim games like Colony Wars, it would be much easier to market and to make, obviously.

Anyhow, another play session, for some reason I have more in-game money now, if only 1,000 more. No idea why, I haven’t sold anything.
Oh well, not complaining.

More flying, back to Area18, starter planet, tried another ship again.
GpPitBk.jpg

As usual I got a warning for obstructing an active flight bay or something like that. What am I doing wrong?
8D3H04D.jpg

AP4nqZG.jpg

FA522bL.jpg

This city looks like something from Cyberpunk
S9fPI0v.jpg

DA9Unnn.jpg
Be careful you don't turn into a whale.

Spend 50c on this helmet.
Then spend a dollar on this outfit.
Next thing you know you're selling your house and/or man whoring to buy a Capital Frigate.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It’s just more obvious on this one given the lack of progress made over the past 10 years.
I dunno - I look at something like Battlefield and they have gone from excellent games to barely functional games lacking things like scoreboards.

Sentenza

What you just said!!! Didn't you just say you are playing this game cus there is a lack of games of this genre, not necessarily cus it's good lol. I'm confused how is this rambling when I just rephrased what you just said...
I never said anything of that sort. Stop being retarded, mate. For your own sake.

What the fuck is wrong with people on this forum? The more smug they attempt to act with their "gotcha", the more they sound like mentally challenged 12 years old.

Last edited:
You can request a landing from ~10 Km away. There's also auto landing just hold N, but can't be too high above the landing spot.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Funny that no one is actually playing the game. And the entire thread is children crying non-stop about prices. Like why are you here?

I've had access to the game since it was possible - I donated whatever the bare minimum was way back in the day.

It's still the worst performing and functioning tech demo in history. Being absolutely objective.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I've had access to the game since it was possible - I donated whatever the bare minimum was way back in the day.

It's still the worst performing and functioning tech demo in history. Being absolutely objective.

Getting 100fps is bad? This game is CPU limited not GPU. 2080S/3700X/NVMe 4.0 SSD’s/32GB @3600mhz and i have no issues most of the times. My fps is most of the time between 55/85 fps with a 3440x1440 res.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Getting 100fps is bad? This game is CPU limited not GPU. 2080S/3700X/NVMe 4.0 SSD’s/32GB @3600mhz and i have no issues most of the times. My fps is most of the time between 55/85 fps with a 3440x1440 res.

I apparently have a far more powerful system than you. My statement of fact remains.

Macattk15

I apparently have a far more powerful system than you. My statement of fact remains.

Yeah no idea what he's on about as I have a 3080 / 10900K and it runs like shit in my opinion @ 2560x1440 for me.

Also he spent $9k in this game, but runs this woefully underpowered PC for someone throwing 9k at a video game .... allegedly.

Utherellus

How much money do you have?

I could be a billionaire and still never buy one micro transaction. I can't wrap my head around why anyone but some gen z Fortnite hoppers could be conditioned to spend real money on game content post the initial purchase.
Imagine comparing Fortnite to most ambitious and complexly detailed space/life simulator that industry has ever tried to accomplish.

Yall still not getting it, are you? The fact that such project even exists, drives unprecedented curiosity of what can be achieved. It's a social and technical experiment which aims for "no limits"

Despite the controversy, not a single person can deny that Cloud Imperium did things, noone has ever done. Something fresh. Something ambitious. Without budget limits, manhour limits, hardware limits.

Just enjoy the show and observe from afar lmao, how hard can this be?

Fredrik

Is it possible that the early implementation of waiting as a game mechanic hasn't really been explored and implemented to it's full potential yet?
I’m sure it’s possible to do some story event or something instead of just having a counter. But the problem here is that it’s clearly built to make you pay.

There is a timer counting down for 9 minutes with a pay button just sittning there asking for 3,000 in-game money to remove it.
As the counter goes down the price also gets lower, triggering the behaviour to pay because ”Oh look it’s just 1,000 now, I can afford that.”.

All this combined with being able to buy in-game money with real money makes me frown. Pay to not have to wait or pay to not have to do excessive grinding or whatever is the cancer of this industry, it has already destriyed mobile gaming and it’s about to destroy regular gaming too.

Be careful you don't turn into a whale.

Spend 50c on this helmet.
Then spend a dollar on this outfit.
Next thing you know you're selling your house and/or man whoring to buy a Capital Frigate.
Lol not likely, I barely even buy real games anymore because of Gamepass and PS+, which I got cheaper by stacking XBL/EAPlay/PSNow.
I’m just playing this because it’s free to play. It’s not all awful but it’s not worth any money yet, imo.

You can request a landing from ~10 Km away. There's also auto landing just hold N, but can't be too high above the landing spot.
I did request a landing through the F11 com. Can’t say for sure I used the right hangar though, but there was a round icon and a door was open. Am I not placed properly on the pad? Or do I have to tell someone that I’ve landed and they can remove the ship?

Utherellus

Not my video, sorry.

You can observe how planet rotates as light from the Sun(in-engine light source) literally projects planet surface from millions of kilometers.

Talk about shadow cascade mapping resolution :messenger_hushed:

Heh you could chase the shadow and your friend chase the light other side of the planet and you both will be moving perpendicularly on the circle :messenger_heart:

Pay to not have to wait or pay to not have to do excessive grinding or whatever is the cancer of this industry, it has already destroyed mobile gaming and it’s about to destroy regular gaming too.
This countdown timer pay is only a temp implementation for now to stop the griefing respawn spam and even that is a joke, because once you get the mole you can earn up to 700K per single run. Non issue at least in this game.

I did request a landing through the F11 com. Can’t say for sure I used the right hangar though, but there was a round icon and a door was open. Am I not placed properly on the pad? Or do I have to tell someone that I’ve landed and they can remove the ship?
Get within 10km range [or is it 11], req landing [F11>Friends>Station, hit F11 again to close], then switch of quantum drive [default B]. After a successful landing you get a confirmation "Landing complete". Now really interested to know wth are you doing to get that "obstructing an active flight bay" notification?

Last edited:
Top Bottom