• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen is now free to play – for a week

Sentenza

ooga.jpg
Another mongoloid with the delusion of being funny.

Fredrik

After a successful landing you get a confirmation "Landing complete". Now really interested to know wth are you doing to get that "obstructing an active flight bay" notification?
Lol I think I need some Ubisoft arrow 😅 Never heard that message. Could I be landing in the wrong hangar? Maybe the marker I saw only showed a hangar but not my hangar?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yeah no idea what he's on about as I have a 3080 / 10900K and it runs like shit in my opinion @ 2560x1440 for me.

Also he spent $9k in this game, but runs this woefully underpowered PC for someone throwing 9k at a video game .... allegedly.

The lighting is also all over the place and full of bugs. I don't even know if the game supports HDR, but I tried it with HDR enabled and disabled and even resorted to hooking up my old 1440p monitor and despite everything I tried the lighting is wildly horrific.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Lol I think I need some Ubisoft arrow 😅 Never heard that message. Could I be landing in the wrong hangar? Maybe the marker I saw only showed a hangar but not my hangar?
You are either landing in the wrong hangar/landing pad OR outside the boundaries of the correct one (I.e. part of your ship is obstructing ground past your designated landing area.

Sentenza

The funnest thing is that you have to buy "Insurance" to a fucking imaginary video game ship. It is so ridiculous that it is like something out of a Black Mirror episode.
The funniest thing is: there's no "insurance" mechanic being currently implemented in the game (so no one has to pay one) and even once it may get there at release (IF they are ever going to include it) it's supposed to be a trivial recurring money sink like, say, repairing your equipment in World of Warcraft.

But this is not going to stop the people fishing for outrage for trying to frame it like if someone was robbing you blind in a street corner.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The funniest thing is: there's no "insurance" mechanic being currently implemented in the game (so no one has to pay one) and even once it may get there at release (IF they are ever going to include it) it's supposed to be a trivial recurring money sink like, say, repairing your equipment in World of Warcraft.

But this is not going to stop the people fishing for outrage for trying to frame it like if someone was robbing you blind in a street corner.
I think it’s fair to be critical as long as you can buy in-game money with real money. There is always a risk they make it a chore to get in-game money just to get someone to pay instead of doing the extra work to earn it through gameplay.
Personally I’m always against this, doesn’t matter if it’s in Gran Turismo, Halo or Star Citizen. If there is no economy like this devs usually remove things that could be seen as too much work or annoying.

Sentenza

I think it’s fair to be critical as long as you can buy in-game money with real money. There is always a risk they make it a chore to get in-game money
Making in-game money is trivial compared to the costs we are talking about here.
I already noticed your post talking about "finding yourself owning 1000 more than before", which gave me a fair idea of how unfamiliar you are with the in-game economy of SC.

Now, to put things in perspective, keep in mind that at worst your repair or reclaim costs may amount to... What? 4 or 5k on average if you took a lot of damage?
Ok. The reward for the most basic, newbie missions (i.e. delivery) is 8-10K. For an entry level combat mission it's 15-20K. As you start raising reputation with factions, you get more profitable missions. How profitable? A single ship bounty or bunker cleaning can pay up to 90K. As reference there are small starting ships that cost 200K. It means that doing two or three missions will allow you to buy yourself a secondary ship to use as "quick shuttle" when you are having forced downtimes (i.e. your usual combat ship just exploded).

That also means that doing one mission will cover your repair, reclaim (and eventually, some day, insurance) costs 15-20 times over.

Now let's say you go with mining. This involves a couple of extra steps and knowledge of what you are doing to not waste your time, but still, if you find a good spot and are successful with your mining venture, a Prospector full of Quantanium can net you up to 400-500K in one go.

As I said when we talk repairs, insurance or "fps equipment" we are talking peanuts. Making in-game money in this game is NOT an issue. It's SO not an issue that a lot of bored more experienced players are constantly gifting money away to newbies to help them, "just because".

Last edited:

Fredrik

Making in-game money is trivial compared to the costs we are talking about here.
I already noticed your post talking about "finding yourself owning 1000 more than before", which gave me a fair idea of how unfamiliar you are with the in-game economy of SC.

Now, to put things in perspective, keep in mind that at worst your repair or reclaim costs may amount to... What? 4 or 5k on average if you took a lot of damage?
Ok. The reward for the most basic, newbie missions (i.e. delivery) is 8-10K. For an entry level combat mission it's 15-20K. As you start raising reputation with factions, you get more profitable missions. How profitable? A single ship bounty or bunker cleaning can pay up to 90K. As reference there are small starting ships that cost 200K. It means that doing two or three missions will allow you to buy yourself a secondary ship to use as "quick shuttle" when you are having forced downtimes (i.e. your usual combat ship just exploded).

That also means that doing one mission will cover your repair, reclaim (and eventually, some day, insurance) costs 15-20 times over.

Now let's say you go with mining. This involves a couple of extra steps and knowledge of what you are doing to not waste your time, but still, if you find a good spot and are successful with your mining venture, a Prospector full of Quantanium can net you up to 400-500K in one go.

As I said when we talk repairs, insurance or "fps equipment" we are talking peanuts. Making in-game money in this game is NOT an issue. It's SO not an issue that a lot of bored more experienced players are constantly gifting money away to newbies to help them, "just because".
I’ll probably play tonight again, I can try a mission then. I started a ”personal” contract with some gal called Twitch, would pay me 15k. Is that a mission I should try as a total noob?

Miles708

I’ve spend 9k, looking at your post, i must have no social life, no kid, girlfriend/wife or friends…such a shame 🥹.

Always funny how people are so fake concerned about peoples spending when it comes to SC.

If you spent 9k on a single game (being this one or any other mtx-infested game) you're the personification of anything wrong with this industry.

It's your right to spend your money how you see fit.
It's also your fault if anything in gaming is slowly becoming more and more crap.
Sorry.

I've been on this forum over 10 years and I think Star Citizen threads are my favorite. I have ZERO investment in the IP, but I'm always invested in the thread drama. I think in this thread I'll root for the Star Citizen supporters because the thread title was an unprovoked act of aggression.

Fredrik

I've been on this forum over 10 years and I think Star Citizen threads are my favorite. I have ZERO investment in the IP, but I'm always invested in the thread drama. I think in this thread I'll root for the Star Citizen supporters because the thread title was an unprovoked act of aggression.
OP was called Craig of War and wanted God of War delayed so it might’ve been some sort of revenge naming troll.

Drama aside, free to play is the way to go here, if you see it as a free early access title it’s not so bad, you get some funds and some ships so the first steps are pretty okay.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If you spent 9k on a single game (being this one or any other mtx-infested game) you're the personification of anything wrong with this industry.

It's also your fault if anything in gaming is slowly becoming more and more crap.
Sorry.

Sad Money GIF by G2 Esports

Sorry.
He's full of shit he's not spending 9k when he has a 3 year old processor in his PC that wasn't top end then, and an older gpu too.

Or he's stealing his parents money

Probably just trolling though

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
He's full of shit he's not spending 9k when he has a 3 year old processor in his PC that wasn't top end then, and an older gpu too.

Or he's stealing his parents money

Probably just trolling though

Man you guys are so full of shit. What does my system has to do with other spending? Acting like upgrading was a big think last 3 years? Nobody did big upgrades and a 3700X is still powerful enough for every game.

I have no need to upgrade, since i can play every single game at i's full graphical potential. When AM5 is more mature, i will upgrade my system. These spendings in star citizen are already nothing special. I know plenty who have spend the same or people who are even already over 25K.

Yes it is a lot of money, I too think 25K is a lot of money and would never spend it. But hey, as long as I can give my family what they need, we can go on vacation, live comfortably in our house and have a nice car under our ass, you won't hear me complain.

Maybe you're just hoping I'm bullshitting because you don't have any money to spend yourself in general.

Last edited:
Man you guys are so full of shit. What does my system has to do with other spending? Acting like upgrading was a big think last 3 years? Nobody did big upgrades and a 3700X is still powerful enough for every game.

I have no need to upgrade, since i can play every single game at i's full graphical potential. When AM5 is more mature, i will upgrade my system.

Maybe you're just hoping I'm bullshitting because you don't have any money to spend yourself in general.
You spent 9 grand on some virtual ships but not the thing that's actually running the game you were so passionate (dumb) to spend the 9 on?

Riiiiiiight.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You spent 9 grand on some virtual ships but not the thing that's actually running the game you were so passionate (dumb) to spend the 9 on?

Riiiiiiight.

What the hell are you talking? I already run Star Citizen at it's full potential. It's only CPU limited and other than that. A lot of the game performance
Depends on the server performance at the moment. Don't come here pretending you know anything about SC.

And attacking personally only shows how pathetic you are yourself.

It's only CPU limited and other than that.
So, some of that 9000 could have went to an upgrade then. I thought you ran everything at its full potential 🤔 and you're only talking about hitting 60fps, not 120.

Whatever bro, spend your supposed money on fake ships ot Belle Delphine bath water or whatever the heck you want but don't be shocked when you get mocked for it

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So, some of that 9000 could have went to an upgrade then. I thought you ran everything at its full potential 🤔 and you're only talking about hitting 60fps, not 120.

Whatever bro, spend your supposed money on fake ships ot Belle Delphine bath water or whatever the heck you want but don't be shocked when you get mocked for it

I talked about hitting 100fps. No one is hitting 120fps in this game. See how little you know about this game. Why 120...why not 144fps or 200? frames do not say much when i say "full potential".

Looked like it's hurts you or something fucking retard, i didn't fucked your mother so chill you're damn mouth.

Just shut the fuck up.

Last edited:

Macattk15

He's full of shit man. Either way it's the internet and you can just say things without needing to prove anything.

Of course he also went "you guys just mad i spent money cause you don't have money" route too.

Ribi

No wonder you try to defend this no matter what the "devs" do.

Congrats. We now have certifiable proof that you spent way too much money for a scam and are too scared to admit you made a mistake.
still waiting for this scam lawsuit... any day now. Too scared to admit its not?

BreakOut

Every thread this game appears in becomes so interesting. I legitimately don’t know anything about the game that is real. But it just sounds like madness. I think I saw a video with someone playing it, it seems really deep and intense.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Talking Talk Too Much GIF by SWR3

Here your fucking proof:

52210190269_37cb344d1a_o.png

Spent 9k on a alpha test... still hasent got NeoGAF gold...

It's predictable that one of the loudest defenders here has as expected proven to be heavily invested.

Sunk cost fallacy people, it's a real thing. Yo Abriael_GN Abriael_GN want to post yours now so we can use it as a counter point? Unless your also heavily invested and would therefore just again reinforce the point.

Last edited:

Macattk15

Talking Talk Too Much GIF by SWR3

Here your fucking proof:

52210190269_37cb344d1a_o.png

Leah Remini Kingofqueens GIF by TV Land

Oh little bitches must've felt that one :messenger_clapping:

Nope. Grats he proved it (baited), I still think he's fucking retarded and that won't change. I've seen people spend TONS of money on Diablo fucking Immortal so I'm not surprised at this.

The fucking game sucks. The only thing its good for is flying around. The combat is complete fucking dogshit. It's buggy as ALL fuck. It's unoptimized (I do get high fps with a 3080 and 10900k, but still). Graphically it's not even that impressive ANYMORE.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I mean, ya'll are dissing my man but he provided the receipts and flexed showing he can easily afford to spend $9k on what's essentially a tech demo and thought experiment at this point.

I would never spend another dime beyond the $10 or so I did on Kickstarter ages ago, and I doubt this game will ever launch in any state that resembles what they've promised, but I won't crap on the guy for enjoying himself and putting his money where his mouth is.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean, ya'll are dissing my man but he provided the receipts and flexed showing he can easily afford to spend $9k on what's essentially a tech demo and thought experiment at this point.

I would never spend another dime beyond the $10 or so I did on Kickstarter ages ago, and I doubt this game will ever launch in any state that resembles what they've promised, but I won't crap on the guy for enjoying himself and putting his money where his mouth is.

To be fair I do use kickstarter a bit for boardgames, but those actually show up in under a decade.

Rambone

No wonder you try to defend this no matter what the "devs" do.

Congrats. We now have certifiable proof that you spent way too much money for a scam and are too scared to admit you made a mistake.
Is there really a mistake made when you actually enjoy a game, whether it's Star Citizen or Elden Ring? Personally if you spend more than the base cost of a game that is all on you and nobody else's problem but it is also nobody's business what people do with their money as the value of physical or digital goods is in the eye of the beholder. If some dude wants to blow hundreds of dollars on virtual spaceships BEYOND the base cost for a game, full release or not, more power to them.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is there really a mistake made when you actually enjoy a game, whether it's Star Citizen or Elden Ring? Personally if you spend more than the base cost of a game that is all on you and nobody else's problem but it is also nobody's business what people do with their money as the value of physical or digital goods is in the eye of the beholder. If some dude wants to blow hundreds of dollars on virtual spaceships BEYOND the base cost for a game, full release or not, more power to them.

I mean sure, but don't stop that from getting in the way of a good laugh at anouthers "expense".

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Hey, if the game was actually released or even getting "close" to it, constantly didn't keep being told lies about its release dates, devs that seem to care more about earning money than actually making a quality product - I would be all for defending their investment in a game they enjoyed. Hell I have probably spent twice that in World of Warcraft across 18 years.

But the thing is, unlike Warcraft - this thing isn't finished. It hasn't even reached a *beta*. Its a bunch of promises with zero delivery. So yes, I will continue calling it a scam and its defenders absolutely looney.

Rambone

Hey, if the game was actually released or even getting "close" to it, constantly didn't keep being told lies about its release dates, devs that seem to care more about earning money than actually making a quality product - I would be all for defending their investment in a game they enjoyed. Hell I have probably spent twice that in World of Warcraft across 18 years.

But the thing is, unlike Warcraft - this thing isn't finished. It hasn't even reached a *beta*. Its a bunch of promises with zero delivery. So yes, I will continue calling it a scam and its defenders absolutely looney.

Why would you feel the need to defend somebodies invested interest in a game, let alone troll them for this interest. People buy shit all the time in the form of DLC, Micro-transactions and in the case of Star Citizen, Macro-transactions. These are not actual investments in a financial sense since you get neither monetary or material returns for your money. Whatever. As with any disposable hobby, people spend money on whatever it is that makes them happy.

If you are spooked or angered by public backer funded games failing, scope being increased/decreased, delays, promised timelines not being met, maybe purchasing finished products makes more sense if you are unable to handle risk? In the case of Star Citizen, waiting sucks and some of the delays/changes could have used more care in the delivery and this obviously rattled many sphincters but in the end this product is still being actively and regularly developed. I see a company that has damn near daily content and regular patches (buggy or not) and detailed progress trackers that span multiple quarters for me to peer into, monthly progress overviews, yearly overviews, weekly shows, events and post mortems. I can't even get a description of what DLC in pre-orders are for most games. What other developers is doing all of this?! I swear the amount of people hanging onto grudges reminds me of my Fiancé, she refuses to let go and move on from years old issues and brings them up again like they are relevant, well back in 2015 you said this or did that but doesn't take into account the merits of what I've done to date. It gets old. I get it, dogs get it, everyone gets it at this point! Let go and move on.

Why would the developers be greedy when the price of entry is $45 and the dev has specifically stated you don't need to purchase anything more than this? Nobody needs to buy more than the base ship and in the finished game why don't you just play the game and earn them like any other game? Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything more than the cost of the base game. Whether the finished game is quality or not is to be seen. If your idea of a scam is broken timelines and concerns behind final quality, then I may politely suggest here that maybe buying into early access games isn't for you. If the game flops and fails then shit happens (i'll be there with you and everyone else with the pitchforks and torches) but there is no sign that this is game is failing nor flopping. Personally, I've gotten my $45 dollars out of this game, even if I put the game down and never came back. I don't think this game is a scam and even if I did, I wouldn't be shitting over others who might be having a good time and can get past the bullshit.

Unlike other games, it's refreshing to play along as things are being developed. Completely my opinion but this is a dual edged sword as I can't help but feel that they spend a lot of time trying to make the game 'playable' where this could have been better spent just disappearing off into the darkness like Rockstar with GTA games and cranking out content. The open development model of Star Citizen (not SQ42) is one of the things that I liked best about this project as I can get a taste of it as it starts to come together. Some patches are good times, others not so much. If shit is bad, I just go play something else and come back next patch, consume the content and move on if it is too buggy for me to cope with. It's not healthy to dwell on this game or get wrapped up in its timelines as this will only lead to disappointment and angst.

I saw it and I was just too stunned by the insanity of it to comment. ...congrats? I admit, I wasn't sure.

Dude didn't say how much he made so for all I know that was a crazy portion of his savings. I hope his home(s) are paid off at least. If you have only 9 grand, you could have bought that.

Even though it's an insane waste maybe this has gone a bit too far, so yeah... Enjoy I guess. BS or not the devs are impressive hustlers.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

With a price of 4 packs of cigarette I can buy this Star Scam game and enjoy it for hours on end. I bought the DayZ scam game for 10 euros and have hundreds of hours of gameplay time on it. (with the glitches and bugs and others shit yet I fully enjoyed playing it. That game also had the same shit parroted about it yet servers were always full.) If one finds value on something does not mean others do too. Most of the time I just bootup Scam Citizen and just fly around looking at vistas and perfecting my flying. Like I do with Flight Simulator. For me the only reasons I backed this game was to see Privateer with todays/futures PC's. And for that Scam Citizen is succeeding.

I know no one else is making game like this with a support for wide range of hotas and other gaming peripherals. The steep learning curve would not be in the game if this was made by some AAA studio. It would be simplified until its your generic game.

Sleepwalker

So much outrage over 9k, this game started funding in 2011 so its not that hard to those numbers across all years.

Hell my FIFA tab from 2016 to 2022 is probably thereabouts or even higher. And I know people who spend 5 figures+ a year on the stuff.

Guarantee the people making fun of Snake29 Snake29 have spent more on stupid shit like beer, takeout or smokes in that period.

Fredrik

Played some more yesterday, what is it now, day 4 perhaps?

Area18 again as the start point. Strolled around for a bit, it’s looking nice, looks like Cyberpunk:

AITe4z5.jpg

Found two twins where one was going to kill himself and the other one was like:
”- pfff whatever I don’t care”

66mbfrK.jpg

Eventually decided to do a mission, couldn’t find any bunker mission but found a delivery mission that seemed alright. I chose a new ship, bigger one with several doors, still possible to fly solo, and head off in space.

bYB6dQW.jpg

q3aacvP.jpg

9ypuIGS.jpg

When down to the spot where I should do the mission and was able to land nice and easily.
HQhaO41.jpg

Ms44579.jpg

y2gUVG7.jpg

And then I started to gear up but couldn’t equip the helmet for some reason… Didn’t even see it in the inventory.
Did I forget to bring it? Is it a bug?
So I started to google for possible solutions or bugs but couldn’t find anything that helped me.

Tried to step outside without the helmet on but nearly died and returned to the ship and healed myself up again.

Hmm, what now? Back to Area18 and buy a helmet? Run like crazy in to the building without helmet?

Then explosions started. What?! And then the ship blew up. Killed by another gamer. Back at Area18 again. Still no income.

Last edited:
^ To save time you can move 'the respawn location'. Go to any med facility [hospital or medbay] and select regeneration.

Do you have film grain enabled? Not to be a dick, but it looks dirty with it on.

Star-Citizen-2022-07-11-04-21-33-794.png

Fredrik

^ To save time you can move 'the respawn location'. Go to any med facility [hospital or medbay] and select regeneration.

Do you have film grain enabled? Not to be a dick, but it looks dirty with it on.

Star-Citizen-2022-07-11-04-21-33-794.png
1080p with grain is probably what you’re seeing

I know about the respawn but didn’t know if there were any space ports nearby. I think the planet was called Lyria. It was close enough though and the ship was fast, just annoyed to be back at square one again and still no income.

I don’t think this is a game for me. I like to freeroam the universe and the designed locations are pretty awesome tbh and the flying is fantastic, but everytime I see another player the immersion breaks since they never walk and just run around like crazy jumping over stuff and run around in the underwear or whatever. And now I got killed too while sitting there minding my own business just trying to figure out what to do.

Let me play the same game in the same universe but add a peaceful mode or better yet hide other players altogether like No Man’s Sky.

How linear is the Squadron 42 thing going to be? Are you still flying the same way and in an open universe?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Played some more yesterday, what is it now, day 4 perhaps?

Area18 again as the start point. Strolled around for a bit, it’s looking nice, looks like Cyberpunk:

AITe4z5.jpg

Found two twins where one was going to kill himself and the other one was like:
”- pfff whatever I don’t care”

66mbfrK.jpg

Eventually decided to do a mission, couldn’t find any bunker mission but found a delivery mission that seemed alright. I chose a new ship, bigger one with several doors, still possible to fly solo, and head off in space.

bYB6dQW.jpg

q3aacvP.jpg

9ypuIGS.jpg

When down to the spot where I should do the mission and was able to land nice and easily.
HQhaO41.jpg

Ms44579.jpg

y2gUVG7.jpg

And then I started to gear up but couldn’t equip the helmet for some reason… Didn’t even see it in the inventory.
Did I forget to bring it? Is it a bug?
So I started to google for possible solutions or bugs but couldn’t find anything that helped me.

Tried to step outside without the helmet on but nearly died and returned to the ship and healed myself up again.

Hmm, what now? Back to Area18 and buy a helmet? Run like crazy in to the building without helmet?

Then explosions started. What?! And then the ship blew up. Killed by another gamer. Back at Area18 again. Still no income.
It's a fantastic looking thing in an isolated environment with no context and no testing. It is the screenshot game of the century. Nobody denies that. In fact it is arguably the best example in gaming of what could be if there was a developer out there that actually knew what they were doing and given a good budget. The problem is that they claim to be a legitimate game and actively try to bring more suckers into the ruse despite this being an obvious money grab with benefits at this point. A proper game developer could have made a fantastic functional game of amazing quality with half the amount of money they have had in half the fucking time. They could have done so in a few years with a fraction of the money they have wasted on this nonsense. We have literally seen it happen with developers like CD Projekt pumping out a game of the generation quality product like Witcher 3 for a fraction of the price in just a few years.

This has not been a few years now though. Its been nearly a god damn decade. Hundreds of millions of dollars donated and then promptly wasted in an endless pursuit of feature creep and more donations.

Scam Citizen has earned its name. I pray no one ever forgets it.

Last edited:
1080p with grain is probably what you’re seeing

I know about the respawn but didn’t know if there were any space ports nearby. I think the planet was called Lyria. It was close enough though and the ship was fast, just annoyed to be back at square one again and still no income.

I don’t think this is a game for me. I like to freeroam the universe and the designed locations are pretty awesome tbh and the flying is fantastic, but everytime I see another player the immersion breaks since they never walk and just run around like crazy jumping over stuff and run around in the underwear or whatever. And now I got killed too while sitting there minding my own business just trying to figure out what to do.

Let me play the same game in the same universe but add a peaceful mode or better yet hide other players altogether like No Man’s Sky.

How linear is the Squadron 42 thing going to be? Are you still flying the same way and in an open universe?
Yea thats mmo for you. Players always trying to be/act 'funny' or some will do anything to ruin your day. Somehow they find fun in that. I know very little about single player part, other then it's still likely years away and devs mentioning about it being multipart and will act like a huge intro into Star citizen universe.

Good thing Starfield is coming next year! Can't wait.

Top Bottom