• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson offered lead role in Ghost in the Shell live action film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh. What about that other thread.

I'm guessing either Dreamworks pumped more into the budget, or Johanson expressed interest in doing more sci-fi work after the success of Lucy. I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped Robbie the second ScarJo became available.

- J - D -

Would've rather it had been Margot (or an Asian actress if we were really wishing), but if she's losing this part to instead star as Harley Quinn in that Suicide Squad movie, I'm more than okay with that.

Scarlet is alright, I guess.

If she could act this wouldn't be an issue, she might be the worst actress I have ever seen, the true definition of making it on looks

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Scarlett Johansson: Action Hero is something I want more of

DaveH

Tired of stoic bitchy-resting-face ScarJo, she's many times more engaging when actually allowed to emote... someone else please.

PLEASE no. She's an OK actress, but this is a film that could really do with a lesser known playing the part. Just spend money and plenty of time for casting and find someone unique. SJ is over-saturated.

Not

Banned
How do these no name clown directors land such beloved and cherished franchises on their doorstep. I do not understand.

Because suits only care about "beloved and cherished properties" as much as they can rake in the cash from them. And recast them with white people.

How do these no name clown directors land such beloved and cherished franchises on their doorstep. I do not understand.

Because nobody in Hollywood has faith that an anime could be adapted into a successful film. And why would they? When has that ever produced a box office success?

Hypothetically, if this film does well - higher profile directors will start considering adaptations from the medium, as studios would actually consider funding them. Nobody gave a shit about comic books until Spiderman set new records.

Not

Banned
I took a quick look down that list and I didn't see anyone who is Japanese. Am I right in saying you want them to sub in a "close enough" nationality?

The fuck man. Next you'll be telling me that Christian Bale can't play Batman cause he's British. It's a start.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
PLEASE no. She's an OK actress, but this is a film that could really do with a lesser known playing the part. Just spend money and plenty of time for casting and find someone unique. SJ is over-saturated.

You don't open a $100+ million movie with an unknown

Ninjimbo

Hmm. I didn't know a live-action Ghost in the Shell was in the works. It probably won't materialize into anything.

And if it does, ScarJo is wrong for the part. I love her to death, but she doesn't have the presence of The Major. I honestly have no idea who does.

If the opening scene of the live action movie is copied exactly from the opening for the animated one , then I'm okay with this choice.

Not

Banned
Considering this is an American adaptation recreating the franchise aiming at general American/western audiences,
1. Won't be set in Japan
2. Doubt it will even have a single Asian/Japanese actor in it

Hey look, a hollywood executive on GAF

EDIT:
If the opening scene of the live action movie is redone exactly as the opening for the animated one is, then I'm okay with this choice.

lewd

benzy

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN's Rupert Sanders directing.

RBvb4S3.gif

Why couldn't it be the Wachowskis.

Lucy's numbers say otherwise. That movie made loads of money and that's what they're expecting from Ghost in the Shell.

Because nobody in Hollywood has faith that an anime could be adapted into a successful film. And why would they? When has that ever produced a box office success?

Hypothetically, if this film does well - higher profile directors will start considering adaptations from the medium, as studios would actually consider funding them. Nobody gave a shit about comic books until Spiderman set new records.

Yeah. It won't be until Shia Lebeouf's Cowboy Bebop that we'll get an influx of live-action anime adaptations

Considering this is an American adaptation recreating the franchise aiming at general American/western audiences,
1. Won't be set in Japan
2. Doubt it will even have a single Asian/Japanese actor in it

Is this another "White people can't relate to other cultures so everything has to be whitewashed" excuse? Because I'm getting sick of it and have yet to see any actual proof aside from the ever notorious "screen testing results"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom