• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson offered lead role in Ghost in the Shell live action film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major Montana Kristofferson. Yep.

akira.jpg

Of course her name would be changed.
It would be really dumb if you had a white cast with japanese names.

I would have gone with Alice though, for some Alice in Wonderland reference bonanza.

This is really bad. But did any of you honestly expect any differently from Hollywood?

Besides, most Americans don't want to see a movie in Japan they want it in New York.

Kinyou

Of course her name would be changed.
It would be really dumb if you had a white cast with japanese names.

I would have gone with Alice though, for some Alice in Wonderland reference bonanza.
To invoke the unforgiven remake again, there Bill Munny turned into Jubei Kamata

This is really bad. But did any of you honestly expect any differently from Hollywood?

Besides, most Americans don't want to see a movie in Japan they want it in New York.

According to who exactly? The people who were okay with Pacific Rim not being in the US? The people okay with Guardians of the Galaxy not being on Earth? The people perfectly fine with other movies taking place in completely fictional settings? Who exactly are these people who are only okay with movies taking place in nearby cities? Because I haven't met any of them

I presume she's going to switch into a male body at some point during the movie.
If that's the case, Montana makes sense since it is about as gender neutral as names get.

According to who exactly? The people who were okay with Pacific Rim not being in the US? The people okay with Guardians of the Galaxy not being on Earth? The people perfectly fine with other movies taking place in completely fictional settings? Who exactly are these people who are only okay with movies taking place in nearby cities? Because I haven't met any of them

You are right, but since we can see the direction this project is taking its clearly the type of thinking behind these decisions

BLACKLAC

It's amazing how dense Hollywood can be.

Just set it in the same universe but in the U.S. New cast, same tech. Done.

No, that makes too much sense.

magenta

I would have thought that it would that this role would have been an ideal candidate for a chinese actress to cash in on that market. In the end they will probably strip everything that makes GITS what it is to make you wonder why they bothered basing the movie of the IP in the first place.

How long till they change the name Motoko Kusanagi? It probably sounds too foriegn for a studio executives liking.

It took 3 days to answer my question, the more I learn about this movie the more I hope it will drop the Ghost in the Shell name.

Kinyou

You are right, but since we can see the direction this project is taking its clearly the type of thinking behind these decisions
Actually might also be influenced by production costs etc. The studio might receive better subsidies in the US than Japan. And when you're already shooting in the US you're not going to blue screen it to look like Japan.

Obviously I'm just guessing, so feel free to correct me.

link4117

So uh, do they not realize that most of their money will come from GitS fans and not the general public? I'm not just talking about fans of the series going out and buying tickets, but they'll also be the ones saying whether the movie, on its own, is good or not and possibly producing more sales. Nothing like making a sour first impression.

What's the point of having it be Ghost in the Shell if they change so much? Why does this keep happening and then have the people in charge wonder why the movies are so poorly attended and reviewed?

I'm usually the last person to complain about these things, because for the most part I feel like PC and all that jazz is bullshit. But what the fuck is with the trend of not wanting to have anyone not white as the protagonist? I hate to break it to you, but if all the other races can connect to a white protagonist, surely the white audiences can connect to a non-white one...

I'm usually the last person to complain about these things, because for the most part I feel like PC and all that jazz is bullshit. But what the fuck is with the trend of not wanting to have anyone not white as the protagonist? I hate to break it to you, but if all the other races can connect to a white protagonist, surely the white audiences can connect to a non-white one...

Apparently not according to the ever mysterious and consistently conservative, close-minded "test screeners"

Not

Banned
Apparently not according to the ever mysterious and consistently conservative, close-minded "test screeners"

I think I'm gonna quit my job and devote my life to test screening films and checking the "why no actually I am not bothered by the non-white person on the giant screen in front of me" box. 'cause someone needs to

I think I'm gonna quit my job and devote my life to test screening films and checking the "why no actually I am not bothered by the non-white person on the giant screen in front of me" box. 'cause someone needs to

You wouldn't be picked for the focus group.

The manga does this as well, but it does it a bit differently - and better in a way. While she's essentially asexual in the movie, which is a bit of a cop-out, in the manga, Motoko is portrayed as a sexually active bisexual. That, in addition to her behavior in general and the fact that she doesn't mind switching to a male body, shows that she has no real concept of gender, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like sex. She's still human and she still has human urges.
Sounds like Oshii and Ito made the right choice.

Epcott

Montana Kristiffersen? Ha ha ha haaaaa...

In my mind I envisioned a futuristic CSI police procedural with bits of Almost Human, Minority Report, Blade Runner, Dredd, and AI. But with a high budget, surely a show would never exist.

I'll be sure to avoid this garbage.

sonicmj1

What do you mean by the "right choice"? For someone like The Major with a loose concept of sexuality, sex and gender, why is being asexual necessarily a more right choice than being bisexual?
The right choice to leave her personal life vague. A quick look at the manga and Shirow's real intentions for showing her sexuality are pretty clear.

fertygo

Why they not just keep the name and made the "Batou" figure made a joke about it to emphasize the world has gone cray cray. "This fucking world, you can had japanese name and looks like model from paris"
Ace punchline for trailer there.

Hollywood should hire me.

Akainu

The right choice to leave her personal life vague. A quick look at the manga and Shirow's real intentions for showing her sexuality are pretty clear.

was it shameless fanservice sure but it really wasn't even that bad its funny that the major makes illegal crap during her free time.

karasu

Does casting like this ever work? Has there ever been a successful Hollywood adaptation of an anime? It seems like they're giving her ten million dollars to star in a bomb.

Tacitus_

That name sounds hilariously bad.

It's amazing how dense Hollywood can be.

Just set it in the same universe but in the U.S. New cast, same tech. Done.

No, that makes too much sense.

Would be hilarious and/or stupid since the USA split into three in GitS, of which one part is soviet controlled. The "American Empire" also would probably be well received.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thinking about it, Sigourney Weaver back in her youth is the kind of actress that would work well for the role.

As for the name thing, from a commercial point of view a name can be really important. Motoko is difficult for the average person to remember; was it Mokoto or Motoko or Mototo, Moto?

They could keep the name Japanese, just easier to remember, or give her another name and say it's not her real name and is rather a "corporate/agency moniker", basically some nickname, reinforcing the questionable identify concept. Whatever the case the name thing can be resolved in many different ways, but the Montana Kristofofofofnoush name sounds horrible and is counter productive.

stryke

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/s...orks-ghost-in-the-shell-exclusive-1201320788/

Following the success of “Lucy,” Scarlett Johansson looks ready to take on another action pic, this one coming from the world of Japanese anime.

Johansson is set to star in DreamWorks’ adaptation of the popular anime pic “Ghost in the Shell.” Deadline Hollywood had reported that the actress had the offer to star but at the time she was still undecided about taking the role. Sources now say she has agreed to star in the pic.

Rupert Sanders is on board to direct. Avi Arad and Steven Paul are producing the film from a script by Bill Wheeler. Mark Sourian is exec producing.

Insiders also tell Variety that Paramount has the option to come on as co-producer and financier and that decision is expected in the coming weeks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Stupid, and the leading character should be Batou.

Alright guys, they're gonna change her name, get over it, we can at least offer better suggestions than Montana Kristofferson

I can only really think of an alternate for Motoko, Molly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom