• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Moffitt of NOA: Wii U is at a "Tipping Point" toward success

maxcriden

We had the price cut in August [2011], and then we had Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, which really drove sales that first holiday, and on 3DS we haven't looked back. So we've had momentum ever since that first holiday and we've got now 260 some games in the library and some of the best, most highest rated, most highest quality content we've ever had on that platform. Everything we launched seems to do above forecast and surprises us on the positive side.

As I look at what we have coming this holiday, now with Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros, plus the innovation of Amiibo, I think we are right at that tipping point where we have a lot of great content that is about to be released for that platform that's going to tempt gamers into buying the system. From the comments I'm reading online, and following gamers' comments, I think there are a lot of people that are going to have a hard time resisting buying a Wii U once Smash Bros comes out. I think that's going to be a major hardware driver for us. So that's the narrative we hope that plays out and that I think we are starting to see play out.

On GamePad support:

We think [the] GamePad is the only innovation that's come in this new generation of consoles. So we have the only real point of difference. Certainly graphics are faster, graphics are better. This is not a real innovation for gamers. We are fully committed to leveraging the GamePad, to keeping it bundled with the system.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_wii_u_is_at_a_tipping_point_towards_success

Ask Scott Moffitt for a rare StreetPass puzzle piece if old.

Moffit1.jpg

Moffit2.jpg

Splatoon will save the Wii U.

Other than that, I'm sure Nintendo will save the Wii U. They're coming out with fantastic games soon and 2015!

Unless Amiibo takes off like a rocket (which it could, I suppose), I think Smash Bros. will only bring a modest increase to hardware sales. It's probably the most notable game to release this holiday though, on any system.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interesting.

I've grown fond of the Wii U, no doubt, but the region locking thing continues to annoy me greatly and make it a much more expensive system to support. :\

stuminus3

Pfft, what would he know. :p

So we have more material to add to the chalkboard now? What's next in line to save the Wii U? Smash?
Depends what you mean by "save". It's not a success by any measure, but it's making money now and it's clearly not going anywhere.

I'm sure a lot of us would like to see the WiiU be more successful but at this point, it's doomed to sell like shit. I don't blame PR for doing PR's job though. What is he suppose to say? "The system is destined to sell like shit and we're gonna fade into obscurity"?

Let's not kid ourselves about it suddenly being a success. It's destined to be their worst selling console ever, by quite a bit.

However, good on Nintendo for still supporting it this E3. I'll certainly get all the enjoyment I can out of it, and it looks like that will be a lot.

Not sure how Smash does much for Wii U when it's releasing on 3DS first. Can't imagine there are many Wii U owners who don't also own the portable.

RM8

What else would they say? This chalkboard thing is dumb because everyone knows WiiU is a commercial failure, but it's like people expect Reggie or Iwata to say "guise we hope to achieve GCN numbers in the long run".

Let's not kid ourselves about it suddenly being a success. It's destined to be their worst selling console ever, by quite a bit.

However, good on Nintendo for still supporting it this E3. I'll certainly get all the enjoyment I can out of it, and it looks like that will be a lot.

You are already wrong.

Edit: Counting Virtual Boy as a console here.

MilesTeg

Banned
They really needed another big game this year alongside Smash Bros. Toad, Hyrule and Bayo ain't gonna cut it. By the way it's gonna be what, 3 more months until Hyrule Warriors? These gaps are exactly why Wii U can't gain any traction.

Honestly, I had ZERO interest in the WiiU. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the 64.

But Splatoon and the new Zelda has me seriously reconsidering. If Nintendo can keep this up, they may actually be able to turn it around.

They really needed another big game this year alongside Smash Bros. Toad, Hyrule and Bayo ain't gonna cut it. By the way it's gonna be what, 3 more months until Hyrule Warriors? These gaps are exactly why Wii U can't gain any traction.

And what exact gaps does the PS4 / One not have?

Scott Moffitt said:
We think [the] GamePad is the only innovation that's come in this new generation of consoles. So we have the only real point of difference. Certainly graphics are faster, graphics are better. This is not a real innovation for gamers. We are fully committed to leveraging the GamePad, to keeping it bundled with the system.
Eyeroll.gif

SaviorX

2015 will be their peak year, especially with a price cut.

Does anyone think they can manage selling 5 million? If so, they can get over the GameCube hump.

ScOULaris

I think he's right. The Wii U game library is slowly becoming really impressive. After E3 this year, I am now seriously considering buying one once I have some extra cash. Before E3 I was completely indifferent toward the Wii U, but it looks like Nintendo has their hearts in the right place with regard to the kinds of experiences they look to provide on this system.

Even though I like my wiiu. I really doubt it's going to be very successful. Especially take it to consideration their financial forecast of this fiscal year.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Im inclined to believe this man. The games are coming. If Xenoblade 2 and Splatoon can deleiver almost as good as their demos showed off, they're going to be selling even more consoles.

I disagree about the Gamepad being the next-gen innovation they claim it to be because of what it brings to video games. It's what it takes away from games... the TV.
The biggest feature of that entire system is the one they advertise the least: Off-screen play. That's the #1 reason I want to own a WiiU (and the games).

There is a lot of positiveness surrounding the WiiU at the moment with MK8 out, a strong eshop lineup and a really solid E3 showing.

I still think the price is too high though.
I'm sure a lot of us would like to see the WiiU be more successful but at this point, it's doomed to sell like shit. I don't blame PR for doing PR's job though. What is he suppose to say? "The system is destined to sell like shit and we're gonna fade into obscurity"?

well its at least beating the PS4 in japan at the moment for what its worth. A lot of people would have laughed at the very idea of this happening a few month ago.
whats the gap to the next big PS4/Xbone game though?

We think [the] GamePad is the only innovation that's come in this new generation of consoles. So we have the only real point of difference. Certainly graphics are faster, graphics are better. This is not a real innovation for gamers.

And yet the two things that make use of the GamePad's features are not innovative at all. Kirby's Rainbow Curse is basically a DS game and Amiibos are a Skylander knock-off...

PR is going to PR

There is a lot of positiveness surrounding the WiiU at the moment with MK8 out, a strong eshop lineup and a really solid E3 showing.

I still think the price is too high though.

well its at least beating the PS4 in japan at the moment for what its worth. A lot of people would have laughed at the very idea of this happening a few month ago.whats the gap to the next big PS4/Xbone game though?

It is not impressive when EVERYTHING including the 3DS is selling like shit in Japan

btrboyev

And that's why you have low sales numbers.

That's crazy talk. There are a lot of reasons why it hasn't taken off, but the game pad isn't one of them.

If you played Nintendo Land with a group of 4 or more you understood why the game pad was innovative. That game was perfect for group play.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna wait til Nintendo's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders on the June 27 and information revealed there (in forms of answers to the shareholders' questions) to see if they have the ambition and ammunition to actually make the Wii U tip over this year. I think Super Smash Bros. together with amiibo will be a tremendous success, but Wii U selling only a meager 60, 000 units due to the release of Mario Kart 8 is mildly worrying.

SuomiDude

Not sure if you noticed. It is as good as dead
In Japan it's selling better than PS4.
Also in case you haven't noticed, the sales have been higher lately everywhere, because of Mario Kart 8. And with such good E3, and upcoming games, the system will go up in sales. So like I said, at least now it has a chance to pick up in sales.

And yet the two things that make use of the GamePad's features are not innovative at all. Kirby's Rainbow Curse is basically a DS game and Amiibos are a Skylander knock-off...
Gamepad acting as a second screen alone is bigger innovation than PS4/XBone would hope for. Many games use the Gamepad in ways that help a lot and improve gaming experience compared to the dated controls on the competitors' consoles. Although not many games use the Gamepad in unique ways, it doesn't mean there hasn't been innovative uses already.

Rösti;117275672 said:
I'm gonna wait til Nintendo's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders on the June 27 and information revealed there (in forms of answers to the shareholders' questions) to see if they have the ambition and ammunition to actually make the Wii U tip over this year. I think Super Smash Bros. together with amiibo will be a tremendous success, but Wii U selling only a meager 60, 000 units due to the release of Mario Kart 8 is mildly worrying.
I have a feeling you should wait until June NPD...

JaseMath

The big PS4 and Xbone exclusives getting pushed to 2015 will certainly help Nintendo get some footing this year.

Jamix012

Nah, I just don't think the interest is there or will ever be there, frankly. I guess I'm a little more optimistic than I was before E3 I suppose but now I guess I'm thinking 13-16 million rather than 12-14 million.

Top Bottom