• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Dwayne

VlfjzQW.png

Is spine fade normal for US Dreamcast games? just glanced across and noticed the Dreamcast logo is near missing on these two titles.

NR1

Is spine fade normal for US Dreamcast games? just glanced across and noticed the Dreamcast logo is near missing on these two titles.[/QUOTE]

I think so. Orange is already a very light color, so any UV bleaching will be more noticeable with the Oraange swirl logo. I see this quite often at stores that have their games and movies facing the window. Even without windows, the halogen lights in glass cases can still bleach the covers--- I see this all the time with games on the top Shelf at Wal-Mart

Bar81

VlfjzQW.png

Is spine fade normal for US Dreamcast games? just glanced across and noticed the Dreamcast logo is near missing on these two titles.

Anything orange, yellow, purple or red tends to fade pretty easily. As mentioned, any light, not just sunlight, over time will do these colors in relatively easily.

Saoshyant

The Dreamcast was discontinued fiften years ago as of yesterday. USgamer wrote a piece mostly from impressions of a new Sega hire (Jake Kazdal) during that time frame. Interesting, but obviously sad stuff.

Pour one out for the little machine of dreams.

Timu

I recently got Heavy Metal Geomatrix recently(it goes for 40+ now but I got mine for 25), it's made by Capcom and has music from Megadeth. I love how the default difficulty is on hard, lol. Anyways, screens.

armarec20160405_162038.png
armarec20160405_162442.png
armarec20160405_163235.png

Tain

It's pretty fascinating to look at the progression from Spawn to that game to the Gundam Vs series. Spawn is probably the strangest, with the most complicated arenas and goofiest controls.

Nuu

Banned
The Beserk game is fun. I'm more impressed by how good the cutscenes are. It's like watching an anime. The gameplay would have aged well if it wasn't for the constant sword clipping due to fighting in small alleyways.

Peltz

DC collection, plus the japanese shelf of my Saturn ones!
Gorgeous picture. The "Sega blue" colored shelves are so perfect for this collection. Nice touch.

I love it when you guys show off your stuff. Just knowing Gaffers are meticulously collecting this stuff makes me a happy camper :)

Would it be possible to get more close up pictures of the spines so we can read them?

IrishNinja

Gorgeous picture. The "Sega blue" colored shelves are so perfect for this collection. Nice touch.

I love it when you guys show off your stuff. Just knowing Gaffers are meticulously collecting this stuff makes me a happy camper :)

Would it be possible to get more close up pictures of the spines so we can read them?

ahh, thanks man! yeah, both sega shelves are blue, the nintendo one's red, sony's black etc...glad someone noticed!
and that was my intention, but it didn't quite pan out - this weekend, i intend to take a few more shots, of the actual consoles/setup itself, for our retro game setup thread...i'll take closer pics of the disc games (DC, saturn, maybe PSX) just for this purpose! it also kinda helps me index things.

BearChair

I love my Dreamcast, but my current living situation prevents me from hooking it up to my TV.

I don't have the space to get a CRT (and don't really want to take on that investment right now). However, I have a modern Hi-Def TV with HDMI outputs. My sole component output is currently taken by my ps2.

Is there any way given current tech to hook a Dreamcast up via HDMI and make the graphics actually look acceptable? What do I need?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I love my Dreamcast, but my current living situation prevents me from hooking it up to my TV.

I don't have the space to get a CRT (and don't really want to take on that investment right now). However, I have a modern Hi-Def TV with HDMI outputs. My sole component output is currently taken by my ps2.

Is there any way given current tech to hook a Dreamcast up via HDMI and make the graphics actually look acceptable? What do I need?

Will your tv accept vga? the dreamcast famously supports that. If not, I guess its upscalers and the toro box that is the way to go, but i dont have any personal experience with it.

hopefully that'll do!

Nice collection of games. I really should pick up a Dreamcast at some point.

Why not something like a VGA to HDMI Adapter

Those adapters almost always suck and feel laggy as hell. I've tried so many of them in my day.

I use an Atlona VGA to HDMI Scaler (AT-HD500) from time to time but to be honest I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference in terms of lag or image quality, maybe someone else can chime in, but it might be something consider. I'm currently though considering SCART/Component options, since I have a CRT in my house that I want to use and it has Component inputs.

late edit:

If you're open to using component instead, there is this switch box option to keep your PS2 plugged in but you can plug in two other devices: http://www.play-asia.com/farmer-ypbpr-power-box/13/703cb

DC collection, plus the japanese shelf of my Saturn ones!
is that the Figuarts Michael Jackson? I need to get that, also where did you get that Nei figure?

BearChair

I use an Atlona VGA to HDMI Scaler (AT-HD500) from time to time but to be honest I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference in terms of lag or image quality, maybe someone else can chime in, but it might be something consider. I'm currently though considering SCART/Component options, since I have a CRT in my house that I want to use and it has Component inputs.

If you're open to using component instead, there is this switch box option to keep your PS2 plugged in but you can plug in two other devices: http://www.play-asia.com/farmer-ypbpr-power-box/13/703cb

That's something I hadn't thought of. My PS2 is hooked up to my TV's sole component input.

Would I just need something like this to take the Dreamcast's VGA signal and separate audio and hook it up to that box?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033AF5Y0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

IrishNinja

is that the Figuarts Michael Jackson? I need to get that, also where did you get that Nei figure?

not sure if its figuarts, might be a chinese knockoff? got it on the cheap on ebay! and nei is part of the sega gals gashapon from a while back, really wish i could get the others (ulala/asha from MW IV/tyris flare)

That's something I hadn't thought of. My PS2 is hooked up to my TV's sole component input.

Would I just need something like this to take the Dreamcast's VGA signal and separate audio and hook it up to that box?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033AF5Y0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

right I meant to quote you for that, I just went absent minded there, hahahaha. Haven't tried that, as I'm just starting to looking into component options, and might just go for a Toro VGA box.

not sure if its figuarts, might be a chinese knockoff? got it on the cheap on ebay! and nei is part of the sega gals gashapon from a while back, really wish i could get the others (ulala/asha from MW IV/tyris flare)

Probably not the Figuarts then, I really hope to start getting a paycheck soon, so I can buy that one because Moonwalker damnit...and I remember that line, I really wanted to get some of those.

BearChair

So I'm about to buy my Dreamcast to HD TV setup, but I've got a new question.

I see online there are VGA cables for the Dreamcast. Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BF74KOS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And a VGA box for the Dreamcast. Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SL4IIG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What's the difference? Do I need both?

My current plan for the setup is Dreamcast > VGA Cables > VGA to component conversion cable > Component switch (PS2 also plugged in here) > HDTV.

With the various cables and switches, it looks to be about $50. Does that look like it will work, though?

Also, since I'll have my dreamcast plugged in for the first time in about 2 or 3 years, what are the best sources for cheap games. I have some of the classics already (Shenmue) but I'd love to add some arcade games to my collection (shooters, fighter, etc.)?

KC-Slater

There's are some great Dreamcast-era Sega AM arcade interviews. Enjoy.

Ski Champ looks great! Sweet post! I wish the Dreamcast would've seen some more Model-3 love. Very under-represented Sega arcade board for ports, especially considering all the gold there was.

eEK!

Neo Member

Timu

I think you need a VGA box to get a 480p image, as the DC VGA cable is only 480i or something like that.
Huh, I have a VGA cable that does 480p, and I'm pretty sure as long as it's VGA either cable or box, it will do 480p regardless.

I have a box as well for VGA and svideo.

Theonik

I think you need a VGA box to get a 480p image, as the DC VGA cable is only 480i or something like that.
You cannot do 480i over VGA in most cases and the DC is certainly not capable of it. The VGA box doesn't do any conversion to the signal but has switch electronics to enable sound output and to allow you to use S-Video for games with no VGA mode.

IrishNinja

wow, you got a good game at a good price (nowadays), congrats man! i grabbed an import copy a while ago on amazon and never looked back, haha

Morfeo

i posted in that thread, but i don't think they're as comparable as some are making them out to be. DC barely got 2 years, and had a lot more support - especially from capcom (though konami & square were missed). WU built a solid library & ill have stuff to play for a while to come, but barely anyone else showed up to the party in twice the amount of time

Im a huge Nintendo-fan, but no way the Wii U can touch the Dreamcast. Also agree with you that its not very comparable.

IrishNinja

what light guns do y'all recommend? ive got House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission, and...i guess Virtua Cop on the collection disc, i wanna say? wanna shoot stuff!

UMGAWA

what light guns do y'all recommend? ive got House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission, and...i guess Virtua Cop on the collection disc, i wanna say? wanna shoot stuff!

I'm certain you're using a US. console so the official ones are out of the question, which is a shame cause they are the best choice. I'd say, go with the mad catz for your pew pew needs.

Coda

I've been hunting this thing for four years now... finally.

Got it at a local convention for 40$, such a nice guy, just wanted it to go to a home that will play it. And play this I shall!

Wow you lucked out, this game is going for over $100 nowadays.

Easily one of my favorite fighters ever, it's just so silly and fun to run casuals with.

leroidys

I'm going to Japan this summer and hoping to pick up some of the games that are much cheaper there than the US, as well as some never released over here. Is there any reason to get a Japanese DC as well? I'm not too clear on DC region free options. Also, anyone know if VMUs are region free?

I'm going to Japan this summer and hoping to pick up some of the games that are much cheaper there than the US, as well as some never released over here. Is there any reason to get a Japanese DC as well? I'm not too clear on DC region free options. Also, anyone know if VMUs are region free?

the "region lock" was something related to the TV standard (NTSC in N.America and Japan, PAL in Europe, Brazil and Australia), so it doesn't affect peripherals : VMUs, Rumble Packs, Arcade Sticks, VGA box, all work on all Dreamcasts

Theonik

the "region lock" was something related to the TV standard (NTSC in N.America and Japan, PAL in Europe, Brazil and Australia), so it doesn't affect peripherals : VMUs, Rumble Packs, Arcade Sticks, VGA box, all work on all Dreamcasts
But do note:
The official Dreamcast lightgun was only released in Europe and Japan. Because of it, NA versions of the lightgun games do not support it so if you think you want to buy one you need to buy JP or PAL versions of those games.

Also software is region locked in NTSC-U, NTSC-J, and PAL regions. Region locking for software can be circumvented in a number of ways. Least intrusive is using a bootdisk or burning rips of your games on CD-900. Note that some people theorise that the later wears down the drive pre-maturely. You may also do a firmware mod to enable a different region FW to be loaded or a modified region-free FW. This requires very light hardware modding to do however.

Tain

A friend and I are planning on doing a loosely Chrontendo-style thing and dabbling in every Dreamcast game in order of release. We'll be streaming it tomorrow at https://www.twitch.tv/chrondc around 7PM EST, assuming things go smoothly. I'm excited!

The current plan is to later edit these sessions into re-narrated highlights.

Morfeo

A friend and I are planning on doing a loosely Chrontendo-style thing and dabbling in every Dreamcast game in order of release. We'll be streaming it tomorrow at https://www.twitch.tv/chrondc around 7PM EST, assuming things go smoothly. I'm excited!

The current plan is to later edit these sessions into re-narrated highlights.

Looking forward to this, Chrontendo might be favorite thing on the internet, and i have long waited for somebody to do the same with other consoles!

leroidys

But do note:
The official Dreamcast lightgun was only released in Europe and Japan. Because of it, NA versions of the lightgun games do not support it so if you think you want to buy one you need to buy JP or PAL versions of those games.

Also software is region locked in NTSC-U, NTSC-J, and PAL regions. Region locking for software can be circumvented in a number of ways. Least intrusive is using a bootdisk or burning rips of your games on CD-900. Note that some people theorise that the later wears down the drive pre-maturely. You may also do a firmware mod to enable a different region FW to be loaded or a modified region-free FW. This requires very light hardware modding to do however.

Great info, thanks!

But do note:

thanks for the clarification :)

Also software is region locked in NTSC-U, NTSC-J, and PAL regions. Region locking for software can be circumvented in a number of ways. Least intrusive is using a bootdisk or burning rips of your games on CD-900.

About this, I have a problem : I brought back from my home-country during my recent trip both MSR and Vanishing Point, US releases, and I'd like to play them on my J-NTSC DC, cause they weren't released here back then (and that's the reason why I bought them).

I tried the Utopia CD I burned some years ago but the DC doesn't recognize the disc; in the past I had a modded PAL DC and only 5-6 years ago I bought a J-NTSC DC, but I don't remember at all if I ever tried to use Utopia with the latter.
There are still some chances I can play those games w/o buying a US DC ?

IrishNinja

so, i just picked up Power Stone 1 for $30, and a friend has MvC 1 for the same price....that's most of the capcom games down for me, i have SF III 3rd strike but no Double Impact, and i missing much?

Giga Wang 2 is the only other one of theirs i'm missing, and SHMUP prices aren't good right now so i'll hold off

televator

so, i just picked up Power Stone 1 for $30, and a friend has MvC 1 for the same price....that's most of the capcom games down for me, i have SF III 3rd strike but no Double Impact, and i missing much?

Giga Wang 2 is the only other one of theirs i'm missing, and SHMUP prices aren't good right now so i'll hold off

Das a dam good price.

Top Bottom