• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Double Impact might be worth it if you really like SF3, lol. Better backgrounds and different soundtrack from 3S. Apparently it's a better port than the DC version of 3S which has something like 7 frames of input lag.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
would an old computer monitor be better for Dreamcast VGA than my asus? (evo monitor)

what should i look for and where should i look?

_Ryo_

I'm not sure but if tou have a crt it might look better.

Btw, think the same studio that is doing Xenocider is doing another dreamcast game called Ameba, which is a murder mystery visual novel.

Tain

would an old computer monitor be better for Dreamcast VGA than my asus? (evo monitor)

what should i look for and where should i look?

I'd say so. No upscaling, more motion clarity, better color.

I don't know what your best bets for a decent CRT monitor are these days though.

alf717

I agree. I have used a VGA box on my monitors, LCD, LED and such and always end up with what looks like jail bars. Even tried a VGA to HDMI adapter. If the VGA settings on the TV allow you to set clock settings you can get a smooth picture but I never had to do this on a CRT VGA monitor.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've had this game for 15 years but never got into it. After that thread i think I'll give it some love.

9vnFiP8h.jpg

alf717

Got real close to repairing one my my DC consoles today. Sourced a CD-ROM laser from an old PC CD-ROM drive and started tweaking things. Works from time to time but continues to struggle with GD-ROM discs and CD-R discs.

Saoshyant

No joke, but that was how I actually setup the PS2 when I got one at the end of 2002. It was both practical (I had little room for both consoles) and showed everyone the clear superiority of the little mean Sega machine. And that arrangement actually lasted until 2008 when I moved. Kind of funny that it lasted that long, but I also didn't buy any console during those years: a DC and PS2 covered every need of mine.

IrishNinja

woof, this took me back
old hard drive had an IGN "review" of the DC sitting high atop its PS2 placeholder as well...honestly, the first 6+ months of my launch PS2, it was a DVD player....cant front though, by right after year 1 it had some heat

but goddamn, that launch copy of Summoner was a huge letdown compared to Shenmue!

leroidys

No joke, but that was how I actually setup the PS2 when I got one at the end of 2002. It was both practical (I had little room for both consoles) and showed everyone the clear superiority of the little mean Sega machine. And that arrangement actually lasted until 2008 when I moved. Kind of funny that it lasted that long, but I also didn't buy any console during those years: a DC and PS2 covered every need of mine.

Truly "The Greatest Generation".

Riddle me this, Dreamcast GAF. Is it a common issue for demo discs to cease working, even though full games work fine? Like, it's not just one disc, it's multiple different demo discs; the Dreamcast will recognize they're a game, display the "Licensed by" screen, and then immediately reset to the bootup screen. Lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum.

I just wanted to replay my favorite old Official Dreamcast Magazine demos, to get a better feel for what I should buy offa eBay in the year 2016 :<

so, i just picked up Power Stone 1 for $30, and a friend has MvC 1 for the same price....that's most of the capcom games down for me, i have SF III 3rd strike but no Double Impact, and i missing much?

Giga Wang 2 is the only other one of theirs i'm missing, and SHMUP prices aren't good right now so i'll hold off

If you like Street Fighter III, Double Impact is a really interesting thing to have. Capcom never re-releases the first two SFIII games, and they are quite different from 3S -- the first two games, compiled in Double Impact, have a completely different set of stages to fight in, completely different music ( that's normal '90s Capcom fighting game stuff, not the I-think-it's-awful 3S soundtrack), different endings (storywise this is the first game, 3S the second, basically, since the second game is just a revision of the first)... it's SF3, but different. Some characters from 3S are missing of course, including Makoto, but still, Double Impact's really good.

Persona7

Banned
Riddle me this, Dreamcast GAF. Is it a common issue for demo discs to cease working, even though full games work fine? Like, it's not just one disc, it's multiple different demo discs; the Dreamcast will recognize they're a game, display the "Licensed by" screen, and then immediately reset to the bootup screen. Lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum.

I just wanted to replay my favorite old Official Dreamcast Magazine demos, to get a better feel for what I should buy offa eBay in the year 2016 :<

That's weird. Could be the laser having issues with how the disc is set up?

I have had read issues with Shenmue on this thing before (immediately after playing with the potentiometer, too), although I tried playing Shenmue a few hours ago and it was fine this time around, so I really don't know what to say there.

I kiiinda wanna pick up a spare one just in case, but I dunno if that's really necessary.

Persona7

Banned
I have had read issues with Shenmue on this thing before (immediately after playing with the potentiometer, too), although I tried playing Shenmue a few hours ago and it was fine this time around, so I really don't know what to say there.

I kiiinda wanna pick up a spare one just in case, but I dunno if that's really necessary.

That is probably a good idea because it sounds like the laser is starting to have issues.

Yeah, went ahead and ordered another unit. No games or anything, just the unit. Hopefully its laser works fine (the seller indicated it did on the auction page, anyway).

IrishNinja

damn fine price for a boxed green goblin! almost had a 2nd one in a trade a while back, fucked up & missed it...ah well

so Xenocider looks like it got canceled, with a few days to go it didn't have half the $ it needed...i was bummed, but honestly, played the demo a bit and i know, it's a beta but shit was rough

Other than Tekken 3 and MGS, were there any other Bleem! boot discs that made it in to the wild, officially or otherwise?
There was a modding group that managed to modify the Bleem disks to accept more PS1 games, but information on it is rather sparse.

^I've never tried Bleem! Does it fix the wobbly textures too?
It fixes the graphics in many ways. The whole thing just looks a lot smoother! If only the DC controller had two sets of shoulder buttons!

BTW, current Dreamcast library. And like the PS1 library, it's always growing.

IrishNinja

ive had super mixed results with bleem - stuff i recall my roommate buying (MGS, GT i wanna say) ran okay, ive tried burns of Tekken 3, Strider 2 etc and the gltiches were just too much

green goblin!
what a steal! mine was $60
damn fine price for a boxed green goblin! almost had a 2nd one in a trade a while back, fucked up & missed it...ah well
Yeah I did not expect it at all (I thought it would be an empty box in the display case haha), the guys are really cool there, I'm rarely in SJ but I always try to visit the shop to scope out what odd ends they have in stock. Gonna boot up Project Justice I found awhile back and use it!

alf717

Oh absolutely! Looks so so good! Shame some games don't work in VGA mode :(

Yea that does stink. Some games like Dino Crisis you can get to boot in VGA if your VGA box as a toggle switch. Looks real good but the FMV's don't play.

Everyone should have VGA for Dreamcast, it'll be a sin if you don't have it!!!

I went with a CRT I had laying around since with my experience with LCD screens I have to always adjust the phase and clock settings to remove the strange visual artifacts each time I boot a different game. The colors are just amazing and it is a big jump from S-video.

Tain

Didn't realize until running into capture issues during today's session that there are some 240p-only Dreamcast games (Psychic Force 2012 and Mahjong Taikai II Special so far, but I'm assuming those KoF ports are as well). I only knew of the Capcom games where 240p was an option.

Anybody know of any software-based method I can use to get these games to output 480p? I don't want to resort to emulation to get the footage I'll need from them, and I don't know if I'm up for buying a dope upscaler right now.

Timu

Didn't realize until running into capture issues during today's session that there are some 240p-only Dreamcast games (Psychic Force 2012 and Mahjong Taikai II Special so far, but I'm assuming those KoF ports are as well). I only knew of the Capcom games where 240p was an option.

Anybody know of any software-based method I can use to get these games to output 480p? I don't want to resort to emulation to get the footage I'll need from them, and I don't know if I'm up for buying a dope upscaler right now.
AmaRecTV by far, you have to scan double, it's what I use for all 240p games I do.

Top Bottom