• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

Wooo. Got 7 Dreamcast games from my buying spree last week. Now that I've received them all, I'm kinda in the mood to go buy some more.

But I need to drink more first.

i am all about this life, chac

what'd you get so far?

for me, high on my list are timeless classics like 18 wheeler pro trucker, and a big box Alien Front Online since i'm working on getting my DC back online this year, just need to locate a raspberry pi

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
i am all about this life, chac

what'd you get so far?

for me, high on my list are timeless classics like 18 wheeler pro trucker, and a big box Alien Front Online since i'm working on getting my DC back online this year, just need to locate a raspberry pi

So far... Crazy Taxi 2, Gundam Side Story 0079, Aerowings, Record of Lodoss War, Virtua Tennis, Chu Chu Rocket, and Power Stone. I think I listed most of those out last week.

Right now... kinda thinking about getting some stuff like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (JP version, cuz it's uncensored), Maken X, and Ferrari F355 Challenge. Kinda eyeing De La Jet Set Radio and Vampire Chronicle, as well, but I'm not seeing a particularly good price on those two at the moment.

Also kinda curious how D2 actually is. I'm sure I've asked in this very thread before, but I dunno. I guess I wasn't particularly convinced one way or the other last time.

IrishNinja

well, i finally beat D last halloween, and was thinking D2 might be one of my horror games for that month, so for what it's worth, if you're still on the fence by then i'll report back!

Danny Dudekisser

Well, in the meantime, I did just buy Maken X. Cheaper than I thought -- like $17 for a sealed copy.

I remember it being a cool game. I sold it waaaaay back in 2005, when I was offloading a bunch of Dreamcast games like an idiot.

IrishNinja

we all did shit like that, man

and yeah i cant get far but it's a cool game, that's a solid price too. see on the high end of my list there's space channel 5 part 2, segagaga (LE) and yu suzuki gameworks...one day!

Danny Dudekisser

Oh yeah, the other game I'm wondering about is Plasma Sword. I dunno what to think. I know it's not one of the best games on the system, but is it still fun?

Coda

Picked up a copy of Napple Tale on eBay this weekend. Really pumped to play it now. It's not a game I would normally go for but I was looking to revisit my Dreamcast with a fun adventure game and the game just looks so undeniably Dreamcast like.

Picked up a copy of Napple Tale on eBay this weekend. Really pumped to play it now. It's not a game I would normally go for but I was looking to revisit my Dreamcast with a fun adventure game and the game just looks so undeniably Dreamcast like.

I like the look of it too. Is there much of a language barrier?

I got it for $100 which was the most I'd pay.

I only found out about this game a couple weeks ago. It looks great but I'm going to have to wait until I go to Japan before I can think about getting it. I've spent more on a game I've known little about but I'd rather not spend much more than that. So please everyone stop talking about it for a couple months.

Danny Dudekisser

Alright, I bought Alien Front Online and Metropolis Street Racer today. That brings me to 10 DC games purchased in the last couple of weeks.

kingbean

I found a copy of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure locally and picked that up and KOF 99 Dream match. Glad I modded my agetec stick with sanwa parts.

This might be the wrong place but I got a Rhea recently which is an SD card replacement for the Saturn drive by the guy who makes GDEMU. It doesn't take bin/cue or ISO with audio tracks however. Does anyone know if there's a good, free way to rip your discs to CDI, mdf, or one of the other proprietary formats the dreamcast community likes? I use Mac and Linux but whatever you recommend probably works with WINE so windows programs are okay too.

Danny Dudekisser

I really haven't actually played that much Dreamcast in the last several years, but every time I do, now, I'm reminded of how insanely good this thing looks over VGA. I'm using the Hanzo 2.0 with the OSSC, and it's just stupid how clean the output is.

So yeah, I randomly started playing Soul Reaver for the first time. It's obviously an upgraded PS1 port, but wow does it look pristine. What really surprises me with the Dreamcast, though, is how good it sounds. This is the first time I've tried it on my PC sound setup, and I had no idea the audio would be this good, too. Surprisingly punchy bass, too. It's cool.

Oh, and Soul Reaver seems promising so far. I tried playing it on the PC, but holy shit was that port bad. And the DC had a buncha visual upgrades that weren't in that version.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
So I just got a sega dreamcast and im wondering if the Total conrol 3 adapter for the saturn controller is any good, does anyone have experience with this?

Aquova

Okay guys, I bought a Dreamcast a few months ago, and while I've enjoyed a few games that I've played, I've heard of the legendary ability of the Dreamcast to play burned games, but I've had difficulty getting it to work for myself. I own a Mac and I've been having difficulties finding good sources and software on how to properly prepare discs (plus all the articles I've seen are over 5 years old). I've also heard that there is a SD card reader that can be used to boot games, is this viable?

Coda

oB42iMV.jpg

It's here!

IIRC Jojo was originally gonna be another CPS2 game before moving to CPS3 which it why it doesn't look as nice as Red Earth or the SF3 series.

KC-Slater

This might be the wrong place but I got a Rhea recently which is an SD card replacement for the Saturn drive by the guy who makes GDEMU. It doesn't take bin/cue or ISO with audio tracks however. Does anyone know if there's a good, free way to rip your discs to CDI, mdf, or one of the other proprietary formats the dreamcast community likes? I use Mac and Linux but whatever you recommend probably works with WINE so windows programs are okay too.

PM me if you have additional questions, but the short answer is Discjuggler on an older/virtual Windows XP box.

I went through the same issues dealing with ripping my discs into those very specific images file types.

BearChair

Can anyone recommend a good adaptor for connecting a Playstation 2 controller to the Dreamcast.

Specifically, I have a PS2 arcade stick that I would like to use for playing some of my fighters and shooters on the Dreamcast.

I've looked at a few adaptors online, but I'm not sure which I should get.

Can anyone recommend a good adaptor for connecting a Playstation 2 controller to the Dreamcast.

Specifically, I have a PS2 arcade stick that I would like to use for playing some of my fighters and shooters on the Dreamcast.

I've looked at a few adaptors online, but I'm not sure which I should get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Total-Control-Plus-PS2-Controller-to-Dreamcast-Adapter-/261490087664?hash=item3ce20616f0:g:afYAAOxyYANTcQ4f

This is the best one. Depending on your arcade stick layout, there is a switch on the adapter so your stick is mapped properly.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Can anyone recommend a good jp21 dremcast scart cable. I've gotten two so far and neither display video properly. Both are incredibly dark with video barely visible

AmyS

Hey guys, it was 20 years ago today, March 13th, 1997, that Next Generation (Online) gave us initial information about what would be developed into Dreamcast.

Codename: Black Belt

MJ4aB3z.png

link

Indeed the CPU choice was finalized with Hitachi's SH-4, instead of PowerPC, and the graphics chip would be, not PowerVR PCX2 (a revision of the first gen chip) but a full second generation customized PowerVR2.

Next Generation Online was pretty accurate with what the general release dates would be.

KZ6Q1aX.png

link

petran79

Banned
Okay guys, I bought a Dreamcast a few months ago, and while I've enjoyed a few games that I've played, I've heard of the legendary ability of the Dreamcast to play burned games, but I've had difficulty getting it to work for myself. I own a Mac and I've been having difficulties finding good sources and software on how to properly prepare discs (plus all the articles I've seen are over 5 years old). I've also heard that there is a SD card reader that can be used to boot games, is this viable?

CD disks should be burned at 8x speed max to be readable on first try. Anything above and you have to try 3+ times.

The older the DVD burner, the better.

Youtube details says:

So pretty run of the mill.

If you watched MJR's "Buying Guide" videos, they are meant to be some of the more introductory/accessible/cheaper/console-defining/well-round titles for the system (or some combination thereof). This is for dipping your toes in Dreamcast collecting.

IrishNinja

If you watched MJR's "Buying Guide" videos, they are meant to be some of the more introductory/accessible/cheaper/console-defining/well-round titles for the system (or some combination thereof). This is for dipping your toes in Dreamcast collecting.

fair, but his hidden gems stuff is also super obvious a lotta times too

Top Bottom