• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega plans to release its first "Super Game" by the end of March 2026

Draugoth

Gold Member
sega.jpg

According to Sega's latest reports, Sega plans to release its first "Super Game" by the end of March 2026

"Under the current-medium term plan, we are actively investing in reinforcing our earnings base through the global branding of existing IPs."

“Super Game” involves the concept of a game that stands head and shoulders above normal games.

Labadal

Cowboy Bebop game in the style of Yakuza, in big cities with vertivcality, and lots of different wepoans to use. There are eight planets to visit, and every planet has a unique looking city. You also get to play as Spike's friends, because the game is action rpg, but also party-based. The game is cel-shaded. It is a super game.

It also only exists in my dreams.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What is a 'super game'? I found this but to me it just sounds like a standard live service game with added BS.

One strategy for generating such hit titles is the creation of a ‘Super Game’ – a large-scale global title. We’re currently developing such a game, targeting release by the fiscal year ending March 2026. The ultimate goal in the ‘Super Game’ strategy is to create a game so revolutionary that it attracts far more active users than any of the Group’s games to date. One key to achieving this goal is whether we can draw together a large community, involving not only players but also streamers who stream the game and viewers who watch their videos. That kind of community expands and further develops game content, adding value to the game that is unimagined by developers, and sparking a broader movement – which can then draw in even more users and grow the game’s presence dramatically.”

Sega CEO, Haruki Satomi

Danknugz

all the sega arcades back in the day i considered "super" games because they were in hardware not available through normal retail stores. what's the equivalent? only runs on 4090?

mystech

Sounds potentially exciting on paper but realistically this is not a good trend to keep pushing game development budgets higher and higher. At some point it just becomes unsustainable.

For their sake I hope this game really is “Super” and gets received well.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Outrun 3 would single handily save the gaming medium.
This hobby has been on a downward spiral - but that just might turn it around.

Neon Xenon

Given the fairly recent news regarding Hyenas and how it was supposedly Sega's biggest budget game ever (and a $100 Million blowup that didn't even launch), I'm not excited at any prospect of Sega pursuing a "Super Game".

stickkidsam

Well put me in a dress and call me Sally Acorn, this “Super Game” sounds pretty cool.

Of course I still get excited hearing “blast processing” so I guess I’m just a sucker for bombastic adjectives.

I still have no idea what they actually mean by this? Are they trying to make something with massive scope and polish like Rockstar or CDPR games? Are they going for super detailed worlds with lots of choice like Bethesda games? Big spectacle and high production values like Final Fantasy, Horizon games, or GOW? What do they mean?????!!!!!???!!!

FeralEcho

So are they finally gonna make a good Sonic game again.Didnt know you need super initiatives for that,just good devs.

FeralEcho

Right, you get Callisto Protocol 🤷‍♂️😂
So you get an actual great game?I hope Sega has the chops to make a game looking as good as that as I loved Callisto Protocol more than 80% of the modern AAA junk but we're probably getting yet another half assed Sonic game just with the word SUPER in its title now....hopefully this time around they use that "super" budget for more than stock models for their enviroments and you know...actual structures instead of polygons floating magically in the air lmao but they may need super duper budget for that.

Crayon

Well I don't know about you but I just can't wait to see the world's first super game. And from Sega, no less. Super game out of left field, there.

So you get an actual great game?I hope Sega has the chops to make a game looking as good as that as I loved Callisto Protocol more than 80% of the modern AAA junk but we're probably getting yet another half assed Sonic game just with the word SUPER in its title now....hopefully this time around they use that "super" budget for more than stock models for their enviroments and you know...actual structures instead of polygons floating magically in the air lmao but they may need super duper budget for that.

I was making light of the fact that they intentionally tried to create the term “AAAA” for CP and make it a thing, and way oversold it. Which led to expectations being too high and thus many were disappointed with the final product, as seen in the critical response and sales of the game.

Last edited:
Sounds like a 5 year old came to their shareholders meeting and said " Let's make a super game! It will be better than a regular game" and then one of the shareholders said "Good job Lil Timmy that sounds like a good idea!"

Last edited:

Woopah

What is a 'super game'? I found this but to me it just sounds like a standard live service game with added BS.

One strategy for generating such hit titles is the creation of a ‘Super Game’ – a large-scale global title. We’re currently developing such a game, targeting release by the fiscal year ending March 2026. The ultimate goal in the ‘Super Game’ strategy is to create a game so revolutionary that it attracts far more active users than any of the Group’s games to date. One key to achieving this goal is whether we can draw together a large community, involving not only players but also streamers who stream the game and viewers who watch their videos. That kind of community expands and further develops game content, adding value to the game that is unimagined by developers, and sparking a broader movement – which can then draw in even more users and grow the game’s presence dramatically.”

Sega CEO, Haruki Satomi
I still have no idea what they actually mean by this? Are they trying to make something with massive scope and polish like Rockstar or CDPR games? Are they going for super detailed worlds with lots of choice like Bethesda games? Big spectacle and high production values like Final Fantasy, Horizon games, or GOW? What do they mean?????!!!!!???!!!
They just mean make seversl GAAS that go viral and have strong community engagement so they can monetize it.

Top Bottom