• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP, From Dreamcast forward

camineet

Banned
Because Sega was the only "cool" pure-gaming company that had its own consoles. Sega always pushed the state-of-the-art, in arcades, which eventually trickled down to the home, often in diminished formm but still good and far more than Nintendo ever did in that regard.

camineet

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
camineet yes/no do you actually care about anything that actually exists in the present tense

I care alot about the current generation, what exists now in the way of hardware and software. With that said, I'm always interested in hardware/software from the past that never made it to release. Sometimes those things shape or influence the present in what we have today.
50% of your post history is "oh what a wonderful world it could have been if only this ridiculous failed hardware project had come true! M2 would have been a gamechanger!" stuff

Don't forget my posts on the unreleased Sega consoles, pre-Dreamcast, such as the Saturn 2 aka Pluto, powered by Hitachi PowerPC CPU + Lockheed Martin Real3D GPU which was in development around 1994/1995, roughly the same timeframe and generation as M2, until BlackBelt/Dural & Katana/Dreamcast in 1997 :)

Don't forget all my Zelda post :)

and 50% of your post history is "oh what a wonderful world it's going to be when this ridiculous implausible hardware project manifests itself! DREAMCAST 2 090909 BERIEVE!!!"

You're exaggerating a bit, but okay I do post alot of those things. *Somebody* has to remind people of what might've been. I just hate things going completely forgotten.

Since I do not own a wii right now i'm sure I can wait it out for some sega love.

SEGA's power is maximum!

2s7hqu8.gif

Blueblur1

mikekennyb said:
While Sega has been releasing their B level titles to the public since the demise of the Dreamcast, at the same time they have been secretly producing and hoarding AAA titles for the past eight years for their new console launch.... it will be glorious.
I would love for that to be true but come on... Sega is currently a shadow of it's former self. :(

I don't even want to think about a four-console market next gen. Blugh. But whatever it takes if it makes Valkyria Chronicles 2/handheld spinoff more likely.

Azure J

Actually, I forgot something:

Backwards compatible with Dreamcast & Saturn plz?
While we are still in the realm of hypotheticals and not reality

camineet

Banned
All I want is a SEGA console that can play every single one of their hundreds of arcade games from the past 25+ years or so.

8-bit (i.e. System 2)
16-bit (i.e. SuperScaler, System 16/18/24),
32-bit (i.e. System 32, MODEL 1, MODEL 2)
64-bit (i.e. MODEL 3, NAOMI, Hiraku, NAOMI 2)
Chihiro
Lindbergh
Europa-R

etc.

or, do two consoles, one that's $99 that plays all 2D games, upto System 32,
and one that's $199 for all the 3D stuff, starting with MODEL 1

Captain N

Would people buy this if the XBOX 720 and Playstation 4 were coming out at the same time? I would, but would anyone outside of GAF buy one?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'm still waiting for this generation's first games console.

not a closed, gimped pc.
not a bloated entertainment hub.
not a underpowered waggle box.

if sega brought out the equivilent of a dreamcast, ps2 or even gamecube in todays market, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

camineet

Banned
Just for fun, launch window software for Sega's HD casual console includes:

After Burner Hard Climax :lol
Daytona USA 3
Herzog Zwei 2 / Herzog Drei
Phantasy Star 5: The Great Light (a true turn-based RPG nothing like PSO/PSU)
Shenmue III
Virtua Fighter 6
Sonic Nubula (Sega's take on Mario Galaxy)
Panzer Dragoon Orta 2
OutRun3

Slappy967

Neo Member
Gagaman said:
In case anyone is curious about the Ringwide/edge, Border Break is the first aracde game using the hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sb_qlP8Gs

I won't lie if that was a launch title for a new Sega console I would buy it day 1. I also love the ideas suggested about doing a virtual console of sorts with all the classic Sega arcade games. I'm in for a four console future Sega make it so!:D

tehbear

I welcome our new Dreamcast 2 overlords.

MoogPaul said:
Make it a 150 dollar Shenmue 3 player. Half of GAF would buy it day one.

Screw that, just release the game, it won't be playable on any console. Half of GAF would still buy it.

Captain N

camineet said:

Daytona USA 3
Shenmue III
Virtua Fighter 6
Panzer Dragoon Orta 2
OutRun3

why stop there? Panzer Dragoon Saga remake...as a pre-order bonus you'll get a code to download the original on the Sega VC

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
camineet said:

Daytona USA 3
Shenmue III
Virtua Fighter 6

All I want is a SEGA console that can play every single one of their hundreds of arcade games from the past 25+ years or so.

8-bit (i.e. System 2)
16-bit (i.e. SuperScaler, System 16/18/24),
32-bit (i.e. System 32, MODEL 1, MODEL 2)
64-bit (i.e. MODEL 3, NAOMI, Hiraku, NAOMI 2)
Chihiro
Linbergh
Europa-R

etc.

or, do two consoles, one that's $99 that plays all 2D games, upto System 32,
and one that's $199 for all the 3D stuff, starting with MODEL 1

SEGA now can support new console/handheld very goodly , better than Sony or Microsoft first party wise , SEGA classics alone can make new SEGA handheld bigger than PSP in japan just like that , on console front SEGA have many of unused IPs and new franchises that can fill a whole gen without even thinking of new making new IPs , from old stuff like Alex Kidd and Ristar and to new stuff like 7th dragon and RGG .

again Handheld is more realistic for SEGA if they want profit ( with SEGA classics store maybe ) but they can do console if it is in same Wii style ( not waggle , but cheap and focus on games only )

You forgot a much more important fact: they don't have the same developer power anymore. Without such brains (From Yuji Naka to Yu Suzuki, trough Team Andromeda and Mizuguchi) how can they develop a new masterpiece?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
tehbear said:
Screw that, just release the game, it won't be playable on any console. Half of GAF would still buy it.

Even though I know how pathetic that kind of behavior would be, I'd still buy an unplayable Shenmue 3 disc. From Sega, of course. I don't need someone writing "Shanmoo III" on a CD-R and telling me to man up.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This thread needs more Sega Avatars talking up and less Nintendo/Sony avatars talking down.

The "History" part of that article seems spot on. It complies with rumors about the successor of the Dreamcast.

Why would SEGA, of all people, release a computer-based console? Microsoft did it with the Xbox and it wasn't profitable. This seems like an arcade-only release, pretty much like the Lindbergh.

While people are bitching about "why would you want a SEGA console, as the software would suck" and "it's gonna be a First Party console only, and nobody wants that". Well, Nintendo has been doing very well on that front since the end of the Nintendo 64. Gamecube and Wii are nothing but first party machines (third party is either nonexistant, like on the Gamecube, or shovelware madness, like the Wii).

Sega has enough IPs to suppot a first party console, and now they have enough partners to make good software.

It wont happen in the next 3-4 years. It's just too much of a gamble for a company that's still coming back from bankruptcy.

Agalloch

camineet said:

Daytona USA 3
Shenmue III
Virtua Fighter 6
Panzer Dragoon Orta 2
OutRun3

And Skies of Arcadia 2 please.
Or just call it Dreamcast 2 and i'm in.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
thelurkinghorror said:
You forgot a much more important fact: they don't have the same developer power anymore. Without such brains (From Yuji Naka to Yu Suzuki, trough Team Andromeda and Mizuguchi) how can they develop a new masterpiece?

Prope ( Yuji Naka ) still working exclusively for SEGA .

anyway SEGA is not 4 or 3 guys , game designers move to other companies , die , retired , lost their gift all the time , remember mate Square Soft lost shit tons of their designers between 1999 to 2004 and ( some to brownie brown some to SCEI so to Namco ..ect ) but hey they still doing fucking good .

SEGA still have many talented people , most of Sega internal teams are still there, SEGA funded many new studios (Sports Interactive , Secret Level ) and acquired other like Creative Assembly .

an yeah they still can do masterpieces see 7th dragon , RGG , Valkyria Chronicles .

Also I hope that if this is true they'll come up with a better name than "RINGWIDE"

And that Sonic Unleashed sequel that guy from 4chan was talking about (with no Werehog, just day levels mixed with more platforming) must be a launch game.

Vgamer

camineet said:

Daytona USA 3
Shenmue III
Virtua Fighter 6
Panzer Dragoon Orta 2
OutRun3

I also want Skies of Arcadia 2 as a launch title! Make it so SEGA! :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
camineet said:
yeah, it sounds too sexual, or something weird.

what about MegaDream or DreamDrive ? any way SEGA TOYS guys do pick a nice name they are kings of the catchy names ( Live Dream , DigiPOD , Homestar , MiO , idog , Mu-bot ,EMA ) ..ect

srsly just let SEGA TOYS guys choose the name for the new hardware

Top Bottom