• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP, From Dreamcast forward

evilromero said:
Sega would contribute nothing unless you count a stable of shit games as contributing.

You know how they say opinions are like assholes?

Well, specifically, your opinion is like your asshole. It's fucked ten ways till Sunday.

evilromero said:
Sega would contribute nothing unless you count a stable of shit games as contributing.
They would contribute their IPs and Nintendo would contribute their development teams.

And 90% of Sega is fired.

camineet

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
It's fun to dream isn't it guys? But unfortunately it just doesn't make sense for SEGA to make a console

Indeed it doesn't make any sense, at this time, for SEGA to launch a new console. I don't expect them to either. It's not even widely rumored that they might, as it was in early '97 prior to Dreamcast's unvieling.

Iksenpets

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
It's fun to dream isn't it guys? But unfortunately it just doesn't make sense for SEGA to make a console

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Which is exactly why it's just what Sega would do!

camineet said:
Indeed it doesn't make any sense, at this time, for SEGA to launch a new console. I don't expect them to either. It's not even widely rumored that they might, as it was in early '97 prior to Dreamcast's unvieling.

well SEGA also wasn't producing 3rd party at that time, nor was there a 10 year gap between consoles

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Danthrax said:
evilromero said:

oh dont make me go list warz on your ass

ah hell let's play

here's all the 75%+ games Sega's released on the three current-gen consoles, according to Metacritic:

Xbox 360/Playstation 3: Virtua Fighter 5 89
Playstation 3: Valkyria Chronicles 87
Playstation 3: Yakuza 3 84
Xbox 360: Football Manager 2007 82
Playstation 3/Xbox 360: Condemned 2: Bloodshot 82
Xbox 360: Condemned: Criminal Origins 81
Xbox 360: Football Manager 2006 81
Wii: MadWorld 81
Xbox 360/Playstation 3: Virtua Tennis 3 80
Playstation 3/Xbox 360: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection 80
Wii: House of the Dead: Overkill, The 79
Xbox 360/Playstation 3: OutRun Online Arcade 78
Xbox 360/Playstation 3: Sega Rally Revo 77
Xbox 360: Football Manager 2008 77
Xbox 360/Playstation 3: Club, The 76
Xbox 360: Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram 75

it's 16. 16 good games. by comparison, Nintendo has 13 good games that aren't on WiiWare or are repackaged GameCube games. Microsoft has 19, discounting XBLA games. Sony has 22, minus PSN stuff.

so i think Sega would contribute quite a bit thank you very much.

camineet

Banned
I really haven't followed SEGA's internal development teams in recent years. So I wonder, do they still have the lion's share of their development talent that they had in 2000-2001 before Dreamcast was shut down? I wonder if they have enough of their old talent to support a console. I'm not questioning whether Sega can make good games still, of course they can, but how much of their internal development structure remains ?

So after 12/12/12 rolls around with no new Sega console, what are all you Sega fans going to do with the last 9 days of your lives?

More seriously, add me to the have no problems with the history part (which I quite enjoy the never were's of history) but not buying the present/future part.

tehbear

Bending_Unit_22 said:
So after 12/12/12 rolls around with no new Sega console, what are all you Sega fans going to do with the last 9 days of your lives?

More seriously, add me to the have no problems with the history part (which I quite enjoy the never were's of history) but not buying the present/future part.

Why? What happens on the 21st?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Bending_Unit_22 said:

Yeah of course there won't be a new Sega console on 12/12/12 — it's coming Christmas 2010. Didn't you read the thread? =P

tehbear said:
Why? What happens on the 21st?

Mayan calendar ends, predicting the end of the world, or some such nonsense

OnPoint

Danthrax said:
Yeah of course there won't be a new Sega console on 12/12/12 — it's coming Christmas 2010. Didn't you read the thread? =P

Mayan calendar ends, predicting the end of the world, or some such nonsense

I just read through the entire thread, and it somehow logically ended up on this. Like, I didn't even question this is where the convo went. This thread logically proves that no new Sega console = the end of the world. Even the Mayans knew it.

Josh7289

http://fgnonline.webs.com/

PART 2 OF WORLD EXCLUSIVE REPORT CANCELLED

- 05/15/09

This morning FGNOnline received a rather strongly worded letter from SEGA SAMMY's legal department about our inside report on the company's hardware future.

FGNOnline was threatened to not upload Part 2 of our report or face legal consequences.

We have been left with no other option but to comply.

Mr Morris had personally invested many months of his life towards uncovering the details found in Part 2 and was currently in the midst of editing the report.

We hope our audience would accept our sincerest apologies.

- Brian Holzheuer (Associate of Mr Zachary Morris)
I see three possiblities:

1) There never was a factual part 2; everything this guy has been saying has been total bullshit, and he decided to just end this charade before it gets too out of hand (then again, he's already detailed the supposed new console, so it's already out of his control... what a fool)

2) He really did receive a letter from SEGA SAMMY, but it said to stop making shit up before you get everyone in a tizzy (funny word).

3) He really did receive a letter from SEGA SAMMY, what he's saying is true, and they obviously don't want their plans revealed in this way.

Then again, there's this from 2004: http://forum.xbox365.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=015813

Posted by Alistein (Member # 4617) on April 23, 2004 06:20 PM:

This should be taken witha grain of salt. But I just saw this
http://www.freewebs.com/realgamesplayer/insiderscoops.htm

New Sega titles revealed! (Exclusive)

Today, we can exclusively reveal to you the games Sega will showcase to the world for the very first time on the 29th.

Here they are!

Shenmue III (XBox)

Panzer Dragoon Saga II (Xbox)

Crazy Taxi 4 (Xbox/PS2/GC)

Super Monkey Ball 3 (Xbox/PS2/GC)

OutRun 2 (Xbox/PS2/PSP)

Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned (Xbox/PSP worldwide) - PS2 Japan only

Shinobi 2 (PS2)

Spikeout X-treme (XBox/PS2)

Sega Superstars (PS2/XBox/GC)

Sonic the Hedgehog No Ones (PS2/XBox/PSP/NDS)

Sega Superstars will be a sequel to Fighters Megamix. Outrun 2 will have a total of 12 cars compared to the arcade versions 8 and will support online play. Crazy Taxi 4's launch will coincide with the release of the movie. Sonic No Ones will consist of Sonic1, 2, 3, & Knuckles, CD, Spinball, and the new Advance 3. Both Shenmue III and Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 will be funded and published by MS as 2nd party titles.

Sega's conference will take place on the 29th of April, where all these games will be shown for the very first time.

-- Zach Morris

editor-in-chief

[ April 23, 2004, 18:24: Message edited by: Alistein ]
Obviously that was bullshit.

So, unfortunately, it seems either option 1 or 2 above is true. While 3 would be nice, I'm not going to believe the shit this guy spews.

Just remember... When 2010 comes along and nothing happens, never forget how this guy, Zach Morris, set up SEGA fans for even more disappointment.

... though of course i'd love to be proven wrong, i just can't see that happening.

EDIT: I just realized... This doesn't even have to be the same Zach Morris as before. In fact, both of these guys, the one from 2004 and the one from today, might be different guys, neither of whom was really Zach Morris.

The point is, anyone can be anyone on the Internet, so this 'Zach Morris' could very well be just another lonely soul yearning for a bit of attention.

In short, this thread is over.

EDIT 2: Just in case anyone was curious, the two parts were supposed to cover (from http://fgnonline.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=2):

Part 1 = World exclusive details on a SEGA SAMMY consumer home system based on the RINGEDGE architecture.

Part 2 = World exclusive details on a SEGA SAMMY consumer portable based on the RINGWIDE architecture.

Part 2 should be up sometime next week.

Again, total bullshit, this guy(s).

OnPoint

Flying_Phoenix said:
Isn't it possible that they just stopped adding dates to the calender instead of predicting the worlds end?

Why must you douse the fires of fun with a bucket of logic? Why?

Finally a good Sonic game will be released because it will be on a SEGA SYSTEM!!! :lol

Umm yeah I wish this was true, I love(d) SEGA & Sonic back then, not so much right now though.

Even if this is just a rumor or hoax, why would SEGA-SAMMY even send a letter threatening legal action? I think something like this could be dispelled very easily through other means. I would expect that SEGA would address it publicly to clear the air that they have no such intentions. If it were true, I am sure it would sour relations with their partners (Sony, Microsoft, and Ninty). If anything, this proves that there are still some people who love SEGA games and their consoles. I also think it proves one thing, that generally people do not like Sega's multi console strategy for making software. Stick with one console, do it well, and make great unique games.

richman555 said:
Even if this is just a rumor or hoax, why would SEGA-SAMMY even send a letter threatening legal action? I think something like this could be dispelled very easily through other means. I would expect that SEGA would address it publicly to clear the air that they have no such intentions. If it were true, I am sure it would sour relations with their partners (Sony, Microsoft, and Ninty). If anything, this proves that there are still some people who love SEGA games and their consoles. I also think it proves one thing, that generally people do not like Sega's multi console strategy for making software. Stick with one console, do it well, and make great unique games.

Every time a rumour starts about a new Sega console they get 50,000+ emails from devoted Sega fans asking if it's true. By stopping part 2 of this article being printed they can let one of their customer service staff have the long weekend off he asked for. If it's printed he'll have to work to clear out the mail boxes and wont be able to take his wife away like they planned.

RyanDG

richman555 said:

They didn't send a letter.

The guy was full of BS, and was from the beginning. The fictional letter was his way of giving his statements more 'evidence'.

Top Bottom