• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP, From Dreamcast forward

thelurkinghorror said:
You forgot a much more important fact: they don't have the same developer power anymore. Without such brains (From Yuji Naka to Yu Suzuki, trough Team Andromeda and Mizuguchi) how can they develop a new masterpiece?
hire fresh and new guys that are talented?

Sega will hold a press conference this E3 where the Sega president will say "Here's our new console, OUT NOW!!!! $299!!!"

Then he'll drop his pants, and two people will throw a blanket over him and carry him out to a waiting mental hospital ambulance.

camineet

Banned
If Sega did do a "casual HD" console, the PowerVR SGX or ATI RV770 seem like better choices for a GPU than Nvidia 9600.

Slappy967

Neo Member
Can we just get a console title along the lines of the Genesis a/k/a the last Sega console that was really successful in the US? Alas if only this was real.......damn fanboys getting my hopes up :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
camineet said:
If Sega did do a "casual HD" console, the PowerVR SGX or ATI RV770 seem like better choices for a GPU than Nvidia 9600.

dunno ..but I just guess it's more a cheap HD console than "casual" like the wii . ( original Xbox can do 720p and 1080i so it's not impossible to use cheap GPU for it )

Azure J

camineet said:

On the tech side of things, I was thinking the same thing for a bit, but then I remembered the vague rumor status of this and didn't think beyond that.

soultron

Banned
gutter_trash said:
I hope it comes with a big HDD with bunch of Sega DLC games, gimme them past library
If this does happen, I hope they do at least give us a downloadable classic SEGA library. If this is as "casual" as it sounds, I'm guessing we're not going to get sequels to our favourite SEGA franchises -- at least not ones we'd enjoy. (Jet Set Radio 3 will be a Tetris clone with spray paint can tetrominoes.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
camineet said:

Assuming this was true, the hardware would be disappointing..asides from looking dated by 2010, there's nothing really unique about its innards.

Actually, with a release as suggested, I've a feeling the only ones this would be good for would be for Sega, if they wanted to try and get a bigger slice of the pie again by having their own platform. For everyone else it'd be just another rather undifferentiated piece of hardware to purchase, for games that'd probably work just aswell or better on existing systems.

IF Sega were coming back with some new hardware I'd hope it'd be more inspiring or unique, technologically, than this.

Hmmm... I would definalty be there day 1 if that was the case! Bring back SEGA NET!

One thing I would greatly apprieciate about SEGA having their own console again is that I would'nt need 5 different systems to play all their games.

I just recently picked up a PSP so I could play Phantasy Star Portable. Now trying to track down Crazy Taxi, Afterburner, and CRUSH.

Azure J

soultron said:
(Jet Set Radio 3 will be a Tetris clone with spray paint can tetrominoes.)

I would die a little on the inside if this happened. JSR is one of my favorite series and this would just be like wat. (Granted I'd probably still find a reason to like it and buy it. :lol)

gimmmick

I AM JOHN! said:
WE WERE ALL WRONG! IT WASN'T 9/9/09 WE WERE LOOKING FOR, IT WAS 10/10/10! HOW COULD WE HAVE BEEN SO BLIND, GAF?!

Believe.

So much grasping. :lol

This forum would go nuts if this were indeed true.

jepjepjep

Slappy967 said:
Can we just get a console title along the lines of the Genesis a/k/a the last Sega console that was really successful in the US? Alas if only this was real.......damn fanboys getting my hopes up :D

Yeah, they could call it the Exodus.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gofreak said:
Assuming this was true, the hardware would be disappointing..asides from looking dated by 2010, there's nothing really unique about its innards.

Actually, with a release as suggested, I've a feeling the only ones this would be good for would be for Sega, if they wanted to try and get a bigger slice of the pie again by having their own platform. For everyone else it'd be just another rather undifferentiated piece of hardware to purchase, for games that'd probably work just aswell or better on existing systems.

IF Sega were coming back with some new hardware I'd hope it'd be more inspiring or unique, technologically, than this.

wii looked dated in 2006 , yet look it's the most selling system right now , even if SEGA went with something close to Xbox360 graphic wise in 2010 it will be good enough for SEGA games .

Slappy967

Neo Member
jepjepjep said:

So is Sega playing the role of Moses then with the current gaming landscape being substituted for the wilderness???? Bible Adventures 2 launch title confirmed?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Totobeni said:
wii looked dated in 2006 , yet look it's the most selling system right now , even if SEGA went with something close to Xbox360 graphic wise in 2010 it will be good enough for SEGA games .

I know, I even said earlier that Wii's success paves the way for other companies to consider 'low-r&d' entries to the market. I'm just talking personally though..I was personally disappointed with Wii's specs too. I personally would prefer us to be moving towards fewer systems, not more..and if you are going to enter or re-enter the market, please have some unique hardware basis for doing so.

camineet

Banned
Totobeni said:

Of course Wii looked dated in 2006, it's CPU/GPU architectures date back to the late 90s, since they're no different architecturally than that of GameCube, only Wii is 1.5x faster and has more RAM.

thelurkinghorror said:
You forgot a much more important fact: they don't have the same developer power anymore. Without such brains (From Yuji Naka to Yu Suzuki, trough Team Andromeda and Mizuguchi) how can they develop a new masterpiece?

valkyriaboxart2.jpg

box_yakuza3_ps3.jpg

RyanDG

Aaron Strife said:
Also I hope that if this is true they'll come up with a better name than "RINGWIDE"

The RingWide already exists. It's part of a two tier solution to Sega's arcade (special note here - not console) hardware. The RingEdge is their top tier platform while the RingWide will cater to lower cost hardware and is set to phase out the NAOMI as Sega's 'tier 2' platform for arcade hardware.

Crappy name, maybe... But the name is already set for the arcade hardware... :p

Vgamer

jepjepjep said:

Slappy967 said:
So is Sega playing the role of Moses then with the current gaming landscape being substituted for the wilderness???? Bible Adventures 2 launch title confirmed?

Why not go with the SEGA Revelation! You know instead of the first book of the Bible the last. :D

Sega Apocalypse

this, of course, recalls the actual definition of apocalypse, which is the signifier of the dawn of a new age, not the common-man biblical definition, which is more akin to "the end of the world."

Dougald

*Sigh*

Stop making me think about it, GAF! What I would give for another Sega console, with Dreamcast-era quality games

ZeoVGM

Banned
Highly doubt this, but I'm going to choose to have hope.

What exactly does Sega have on the radar for future retail games? All I've seen announced recently are XLBA and PSN titles.

I say, if E3 comes along, and we see next to nothing in the way of software from Sega, maybe this rumor has some legs.

But probably not.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They also have a trademark for the 'RINGWIDE' mentioned in the article.

Cept it also has arcade heavy references, whereas the article suggests its the consumer version.

It could well be that FGN (or their source, or whatever) saw these trademarks and decided to make stuff up around them..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheSonicRetard said:
...you guys do realize the RingEdge and RingWide already exist, right? No need to go patent diving.

Shining Force Cross is a RingEdge game.

.. I didn't know that. And I guess FGN didn't either :| Or they're saying that their supposed home console will be based on their now existing arcade board (ringedge)?

gofreak said:
.. I didn't know that. And I guess FGN didn't either :| Or they're saying that their supposed home console will be based on their now existing arcade board (ringedge)?

It's alright, though. I'd much rather have a Lindbergh based console than either of the Ring systems.

Top Bottom