• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP, From Dreamcast forward

KingJ2002

wow... so every gen sega was trying to find a way back into hardware?

well... honestly... if sega was trying to come back in 2003 i would have stood in line for the system... but considering the dip in quality and the lack of yu suzuki... i wouldnt but another sega console... im having a hard enough time convincing myself to buy the games.

If next-gen I had a choice between the Wii2, PS4, X720, or a Sega console that played nothing but their arcade games I might actually have a reason to look forward to next-gen.

Sega could charge 599.99 for it and I'd still buy the mother.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If Sega got back into the hardware business, and brought back some of their old talent, I'd have reason to care about non-handheld gaming again...

camineet

Banned
What's this I hear about a one-console-future?

Nonsense! Instead of fewer consoles next-gen, there shall be MORE consoles next-gen :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think next gen would be a very good time for Sega to get back into the game, considering they would only have two competitors to go up against.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
sorry i'm late to the party here, guys, but

HOLY SHIT SEGA

I will buy your console in 2010, no questions asked, if only to make up for not buying a Saturn or a Dreamcast. Just make it happen, please!

And release a proper Phantasy Star while you're at it.

You know what would be a smarter move by SEGA though? Making a partnership with Microsoft and branding the next Xbox as a SEGA console in Japan. That + securing SEGA exclusives could make MS competitive and keep SEGA relevant in Japan.

camineet

Banned
Danthrax said:
And release a proper Phantasy Star while you're at it.

give me a new version of Phantasy Star IV or an actual PSV that's like this

ps4preview3.jpg

With a real Dark Force at the end instead of a shitty
non-threatening, feminine looking Profound Darkness.

infinityBCRT said:
You know what would be a smarter move by SEGA though? Making a partnership with Microsoft and branding the next Xbox as a SEGA console in Japan. That + securing SEGA exclusives could make MS competitive and keep SEGA relevant in Japan.

Except Sega has never really been popular in Japan, outside of the days of the Saturn. Sega's weakest market has always been japan. Always.

And Sega is already teamed up with Microsoft with the RingEdge/RingWide. They're windows based.

skinnyrattler said:
It'll be good to see Sega fail again. We need the lulz, do it Sega. At least they'll make better commercials than the back of some chicks head.

You have a McNabb avatar. I suspect you have enough lulz-worthy fail right there to last you the rest of your life.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TheSonicRetard said:
You have a McNabb avatar. I suspect you have enough lulz-worthy fail right there to last you the rest of your life.

QFT, enjoy your mediocrity this season. I'll enjoy my new HotD on a Sega console in 2010.

m00

camineet said:
I believe the 'History' portion of the article, not the 'Present and Future' part.
Thanks for clearing that up camineet. I totally misunderstood what you meant by SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP, From Dreamcast forward.

Aaron Strife said:
Also I hope that if this is true they'll come up with a better name than "RINGWIDE"
Now you've done it.

camineet said:
Shenmue III
Fake list is fake. Industry insider Zach Morris already confirmed that Shenmue 3 is an Xbox exclusive on that other totally legit freewebs.com news site of his.

It's true! How could you doubt this face:

foqjkj.jpg

ghst said:
i'm still waiting for this generation's first games console.

not a closed, gimped pc.
But a game console is a computer. It's just a hard drive with games on it.

Ikael

SEGA and Apple going in a single joint venture into the hardware market. Steve Jobs restructures SEGA to its former creative glory, SEGA gives their knowdegle in the software arena. A new console is born with a crazy yet ingenious, interface, sleek design, digital distribution and Valkyria Chronicles as a flagship title. You know you want it.

It will never happen gaf. Sega has pushed hard to tranfsorm theirselves into a sofware focused company, it is too late to change that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Ikael said:
It will never happen gaf. Sega has pushed hard to tranfsorm theirselves into a sofware focused company, it is too late to change that.

no, dude... they were just reloading

Vgamer

Ikael said:

And the ironic thing is they made better games when they were a hardware company!

Danthrax said:
I will buy your console in 2010, no questions asked, if only to make up for not buying a Saturn or a Dreamcast. Just make it happen, please!
I'll buy this console even if it's never released.

Sega making a new console is like Ric Flair coming out of retirement. You think of the glory days and it sounds great, but times have changed and they're just going to look embarrassing in the ring.

sprocket

Banned
onegoodlogan said:
Sega making a new console is like Ric Flair coming out of retirement. You think of the glory days and it sounds great, but times have changed and they're just going to look embarrassing in the ring.

you do know you are on the verge of getting killed in this thread. }:(

Perhaps this is Sega's Blue Ocean strategy. Honestly, if you took a Dreamcast, souped up its processor, threw a somewhat better graphics board in there, and wireless connectivity.... I would buy it instantly.

Launch tites would include -

Panzer Dragoon title
Nights 3
Virtua Fighter Mega Mega Mix (with Fighting Vipers characters)
Sonic
Daytona X

:D

onegoodlogan said:

A more adapt comparison would be with Michael Jordan. They were fucking awesome when they were making consoles, just like Jordan was when he played basketball. Then they left the hardware business, just like Jordan left basketball. They moved to the software business, just like Jordan went to baseball. In the software sector, they've struggled, but not completely died off, just like Jordan with baseball.

All we're missing now is their glorious return to hardware, just like when Jordan returned to win an NBA championship.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
onegoodlogan said:

watching fake wrestling crap with old half naked men is embarrassing indeed :p

anyway , as you can read in many posts in this the thread , SEGA is doing fine software wise , their first party is getting bigger and better and they hired many 3rd party studio in the past 3 years , they have strong western front now with western studio and games , they can do same if not better than what Sony and Microsoft first party do quality wise .

can they survive against rich cash makers/spender like Microsoft and Nintendo ? imo yup they can , since the market is bigger now , the market in the old days used to have five or more systems at once , remember the NeoGeo , 3dO , Megadrive , SNES , PSX , Saturn , Amiga , Gameboy Era ( 1992-1997....it was best era of video games :( ) .

it's not nostalgia or anything , SEGA still awesome , but what really changed here is that Nintendo went full casual , Sony lost control on themselves and MS still think Sony is their only rival and just copy them , so Cheap HD console/handheld with SEGA hardcore and classic games can be successful .

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
comedy bomb said:
I think SEGA has released more of them. :lol

actually no! I have lists. Nintendo's released 28 as of Punch-Out and Sega's released 20 thus far.

edit to include said lists, which I'll have go through June to include Sega's deluge:

Sega Games on Wii in North America

2006 [1]
____

==November==
19) Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

2007 [7]
____

==February==
20) Sonic and the Secret Rings

==July==
27) Alien Syndrome

==October==
9) Bleach: Shattered Blade

==November==
6) Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
20) Ghost Squad

==December==
4) The Golden Compass
18) NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

2008 [9]
____

==January==
8) Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

==February==
26) Sega Bass Fishing

==March==
11) The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
18) Sega Superstars Tennis

==May==
2) Iron Man

==June==
5) The Incredible Hulk

==September==
23) Samba de Amigo

==November==
18) Sonic Unleashed

==December==
2) Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek

2009 [9]
____

==February==
10) The House of the Dead: Overkill

==March==
3) Sonic and the Black Knight
10) MadWorld

==June==
9) Virtua Tennis 2009
16) Let's Tap
23) The Conduit

TOTAL: 23

Nintendo Games on Wii in North America

2006 [3]
____

==November==
19) Excite Truck
19) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
19) Wii Sports

2007 [12]
____

==February==
12) Wii Play

==April==
9) Super Paper Mario

==May==
29) Mario Party 8

==June==
11) Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
25) Pokémon Battle Revolution

==July==
30) Mario Strikers Charged

==August==
27) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

==October==
8) Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
29) Battalion Wars 2

==November==
5) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
12) Super Mario Galaxy
19) Link's Crossbow Training

2008 [8]
____

==January==
21) Endless Ocean

==March==
9) Super Smash Bros. Brawl

==April==
27) Mario Kart Wii

==May==
19) Wii Fit

==August==
25) Mario Super Sluggers

==September==
22) Wario Land: Shake It!

==October==
20) Wii Music

==November==
16) Animal Crossing: City Folk

2009 [5]
____

==March==
9) New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
9) New Play Control! Pikmin

==April==
20) Excitebots: Trick Racing

==May==
4) New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
18) Punch-Out!!

TOTAL: 28

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Danthrax said:
Sega's released 20 thus far.

it's not SEGA store channel anyway :lol

srsly if SEGA released a handheld with online store like the DSi and put all their Master , Megadrive , SEGA CD , GG games and port of Saturn games with their new handheld games it will be sooooo freaking great for their business .

Totobeni said:
it's not SEGA store channel anyway :lol

srsly if SEGA released a handheld with online store like the DSi and put all their Master , Megadrive , SEGA CD , GG games and port of Saturn games with their new handheld games it will be sooooo freaking great for their business .

That would be quite nice. I wonder what it would cost to manufacture?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
comedy bomb said:
That would be quite nice. I wonder what it would cost to manufacture?

less than SEGATOY's EMA for sure :p , so I don't think Sammy have problems here (it's nice when your husband is rich :lol ) , guess it won't cost that much especially if it's more DS-ish than PSP-ish .

sprocket said:
you do know you are on the verge of getting killed in this thread. }:(
Eh, I'm not trying to troll here. I'm just looking at this realistically. I was the biggest Sega fanboy you'd ever meet up until a little after the Dreamcast, I even owned a CDX and a launch Saturn. But the market has changed a lot in the past 10 years, look at how Nintendo has had to adapt to survive. Sega is finally becoming a competent publisher again, which is awesome. But that doesn't mean I want to see them back in the hardware business. EA has shot up to become one of my favorite publishers in the last couple of years too, but I don't want an EA console. If anything we need less platforms, not more.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am a Sega freak, so my rose colored glasses may fudge my viewpoint.

I would gladly buy a Sega console with those specs, because it is profitable at the outset and should (theoretically) not have the reliability problems that plagued the "super high technology" that Sony and MS tried to do this generation. Lately, the Sega lineup has gotten very strong from the internal studio's and the published stuff is pretty decent on the Western end. What would make a Sega console worth it is that it would force sega to go exclusive on one hardware, which would mean that all R&D costs would be for this console. A Sega that is exclusive to one hardware is a good thing, especially if it is their own.

onegoodlogan said:
Eh, I'm not trying to troll here. I'm just looking at this realistically. I was the biggest Sega fanboy you'd ever meet up until a little after the Dreamcast, I even owned a CDX and a launch Saturn. But the market has changed a lot in the past 10 years, look at how Nintendo has had to adapt to survive. Sega is finally becoming a competent publisher again, which is awesome. But that doesn't mean I want to see them back in the hardware business. EA has shot up to become one of my favorite publishers in the last couple of years too, but I don't want an EA console. If anything we need less platforms, not more.

The fragmentation of the market into the segment of "very-powerful graphics" and one with "a more casual focus" may do Sega favors since they could compete with Nintendo in the casual sphere and still find a way to be profitable. Simply put, if they were to release a viable console and price it in a critical mass price, I think that it would do the gaming industry a HUGE favor. Especially if it would challenge Nintendo in the casual sphere and force them to innovate and to make "Wii HD" better than it can be.

camineet said:
What's this I hear about a one-console-future?

Nonsense! Instead of fewer consoles next-gen, there shall be MORE consoles next-gen :D

We used to have lots of consoles each generation, the second gen had like eight or ten companies involved at least... :)

Money and success have limited things now to just a few, and of course most of those weren't too successful, but there is room for more, I think... more successful ones, though? That I'm not so sure of.

Still, very interesting stuff, and it's too bad that the handheld at least was never released... though of course it would be cool if the rumors of the upcoming console are actually true. I don't believe it either, but it would be cool. :)

Hcoregamer00 said:
The fragmentation of the market into the segment of "very-powerful graphics" and one with "a more casual focus" may do Sega favors since they could compete with Nintendo in the casual sphere and still find a way to be profitable. Simply put, if they were to release a viable console and price it in a critical mass price, I think that it would do the gaming industry a HUGE favor. Especially if it would challenge Nintendo in the casual sphere and force them to innovate and to make "Wii HD" better than it can be.

They also could continue releasing at least some things on the other consoles. I mean, Psygnosis released some PC, Saturn, and N64 games while a part of Sony, Hudson made lots of NES games while also being one of the TG-16's first parties, etc... but yeah, it would be nice to see Sega's stuff on one system again.

Of course, on the other hand it was only after leaving the hardware market that Sega actually started making money again, after losing lots of money each year for the whole Saturn-Dreamcast period. The question is, could they actually make money on it? Maybe, but it'd be hard... still, it would be great to see them try, particularly if they actually have a plan that could succeed.

camineet

Banned
I was also thinking that any HD console from Sega should not be weaker than their Europa-R arcade hardware that runs Sega Rally 3.

real Europa-R specs http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=907
* CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 3.4 GHz
* RAM: 8GB (2x 4GB modules)
* GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800

supposed Sega HD console specs
*CPU: Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz Dual-Core Processor,
*RAM: System memory 1GB DDR2-800
*GPU: Shader Model 4.0 Nvidia 9600GSO, 384 MB GDDR3 RAM

Doesn't seem like the HD console is on par with Europa-R.

Not that it matters cause I highly doubt the HD console is real anyway.

The Apple Sega?

I'd buy one. I doubt Sega was considering making a home console, a handheld maybe, but never a home console. Then the success of the GBA sp probably put them off trying that. They're in a good place as a software company and the only way for them to be a big part of the industry right now would be to partnet with one of the current platform holders. I think they're quite happy just being a third party and publisher for all consoles.

Blueblur1

I'm a huge Sega fan too but even I know Sega should stay away from hardware. That's a train wreck waiting to happen.

If they were ever to really launch another console and realistically expect it to be successful with it, it would have to be after more than 5 years of them building a strong presence and brand among 3rd party developers. And when I say strong I mean EA/Activision strong. Otherwise, stay software only Sega. You might finally get Sonic right soon and make more kick ass stuff to follow Valkyria Chronicles.

m00 said:
Thanks for clearing that up camineet. I totally misunderstood what you meant by SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP, From Dreamcast forward.

Now you've done it.

Fake list is fake. Industry insider Zach Morris already confirmed that Shenmue 3 is an Xbox exclusive on that other totally legit freewebs.com news site of his.

It's true! How could you doubt this face:

foqjkj.jpg

But a game console is a computer. It's just a hard drive with games on it.

turbografx04.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's not yet another technology company, so I'd be happy.

Top Bottom