• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Duellist

Welp have fought a boss that is a absolute fucking loser. Fought him about 25 times already and have not got him past half on his first stage. Seriously, fuck this boss. lol
Owl father

Ivellios

Welp have fought a boss that is a absolute fucking loser. Fought him about 25 times already and have not got him past half on his first stage. Seriously, fuck this boss. lol
Owl father

He is certainly one of the hardest bosses of the game, only the final boss is harder imo.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Owl (Father) is very tough. he should be! he is the last boss of the game, and the hardest boss of what people are calling the hardest game From has made. when you beat it you will have climbed the mountain top!

he is super tough, but you can do it. you can get very far w deflecting or blocking & using your combat art of choice. first phase is similar to the fight earlier in the game. second phase is tricky, but once you figure out avoiding the Owl and the fire attack, it's basically the same as the first. the Owl you just have to run from when it looks like they are going to dive into the ground. the fire attack, just jump left or right as the fire goes underneath you and get ready for a free Mikiri counter, he will dash straight forward.

Lesleyy

Neo Member
Whistle is pretty much essential at least for the DOD

Firecracker has saved my life more times than I can count. I use it on nearly every boss/mini boss fight

Umbrellas also pretty essential for a few fights, both the anti terror and anti fire versions

Axe never fails to help me get posture damage on shielded enemies

There are more but I use them less and yes “you mostly use one weapon” anyway is a for real argument, anytime I played Bloodborne or Souls I pretty much found my weapon early on and dumped my upgrade gear into it and never really switched from that (many end game upgrade items like slabs being limited items guarantee you can only max out 1 or 2 weapons kind of encourages this style of play)

Not saying one way is better than the other but I don’t see a huge difference am glad they put that dev towards designing battles rather than weapons I will never use

And I play with multiple weapons on my first playthroughs, because I can't be arsed using the same boring one for everything. :) To each their own, but you don't make up personal rules and use it as an argument. I guess you could say newer players tend to stick to one weapon. Sure. That makes sense. Saying "you only end up using one weapon anyway" is just plain false.

@your examples
I used almost every prosthetic, but to me, it's like they're only meant for the mobs. Yeah I can use fire on a boss, but i can also use my sword and plain focus on my enemy's moveset. There is no real benefit, for me, to use the prosthetics. I mostly used the flames and the whirlwind (and their respective effect to your blade), because I liked how it looked.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying they don't work or anything. Having played a decent amount of Souls, I just would've liked for them to sorta really change the way you go into a battle.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
To each their own, but you don't make up personal rules and use it as an argument. I guess you could say newer players tend to stick to one weapon. Sure. That makes sense. Saying "you only end up using one weapon anyway" is just plain false.

this is just how i play. who can i speak for if not my own experience? also not a new player. i've played through each Souls game multiple times, yet i still just pick the heavy sword, or the claymore, or whatever, when i go through. ditto for Bloodborne, i've played through it 3 times, don't really see the need to go beyond the saw blade. i don't see how it is "plain false", to state how i play a style game and how that affects what i like in future games. cool some players want more weapons some players don't care so much. fine. we don't have to pretend one group is "false" and the other "true". this is just videogames.

at any rate, i just beat the final boss for the purification ending. at this point i have that battle down so well i don't even need emblems. it's actually very lenient with the block/deflect timing. Purification ending was really cool and heartbreaking. i recommend everyone see all these endings, they are all pretty good. i find the story in this game more relatable or easier to grok than the ones in Souls games.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I kinda fell off on the game after first getting to Fountainhead Palace. I just didn't feel like fighting another boss immediately after beating Owl. I will say, though, Owl took me somewhere between 5-10 tries. I was surprised by how little I struggled on him after reading all the posts about him beforehand.

I know it sounds lame but I kinda wanna get the PS4 version for trophies. Going for the platinum in these games is something I've been doing since Demon's Souls.

Lesleyy

Neo Member
this is just how i play. who can i speak for if not my own experience? also not a new player. i've played through each Souls game multiple times, yet i still just pick the heavy sword, or the claymore, or whatever, when i go through. ditto for Bloodborne, i've played through it 3 times, don't really see the need to go beyond the saw blade. i don't see how it is "plain false", to state how i play a style game and how that affects what i like in future games. cool some players want more weapons some players don't care so much. fine. we don't have to pretend one group is "false" and the other "true". this is just videogames.

You're misunderstanding everything I said (which could be my fault). I respect everyone's experience with the game. Why would I not? I was solely reacting to "Plus on Bloodborne/Souls you end up using only one weapon for the majority of the game anyway." This is literally presenting something subjective as a fact. So, false.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i can't believe it i'm about to kill the final boss and get the Return ending, making it 100% achievements on Steam. this is the first game i have ever done that with! i tried going back to DS3 but even just getting all of one kind of spells involves all kind of cryptic shit, missable NPCs, storylines, and covenant grinding (the latter of which i am utterly clueless at, as i dont care for pvp).

Sekiro is a lot more managable. the 4 endings are not that difficult to pull off, and are all worth seeking out, and one of which has an additional boss battle. grinding levels is actually not a big thing. You can get away w doing it occasionally if you keep doing NG+s. i suggest doing so when you have a bunch of skill points saved up, so that you can get it to the next level, and when you die, you won't loose those points.

so i just played normally without save scumming, doing NG, NG+, NG++, NG+++. you can kind of fly through the game in a day once you get good at it, and each time through you are better and better, and you can skip bunches of parts bc you already have the loot from earlier games. when i got to the final boss, and the Ashina Outskirts Wall Stairway, i was only 3 levels from getting all the skills. grinding at the final level i was making 1854 a soldier, roughly taking 5 farming runs to gain a level. not too bad.

Last edited:
I finally beat this, took me over a month, 75 hours and that final boss took me probably around 100 tries, as well as many major bosses taking me dozens of tries, but I did it, it was a long, hard uphill battle but I did it.

And it was worth it because damn, that was an incredible game, but also for the bragging rights, suck it Kotaku! :messenger_squinting_tongue:

As far as story and that patented From mysteriousness, the big question on my mind is who the heck was the dead woman in the small cave at the top of the fountainhead? That was really strange.

Last edited:

kiiltz

I finally beat this, took me over a month, 75 hours and that final boss took me probably around 100 tries, as well as many major bosses taking me dozens of tries, but I did it, it was a long, hard uphill battle but I did it.

And it was worth it because damn, that was an incredible game, but also for the bragging rights, suck it Kotaku! :messenger_squinting_tongue:

As far as story and that patented From mysteriousness, the big question on my mind is who the heck was the dead woman in the small cave at the top of the fountainhead? That was really strange.
A lot of people are theorizing that's it Tomoe and I think there's a very strong case for it.

She (Tomoe) definitely has to show up in dlc.

Also I think someone said earlier that you don't need to spoiler ITT.

Last edited:
A lot of people are theorizing that's it Tomoe and I think there's a very strong case for it.

She (Tomoe) definitely has to show up in dlc.

Also I think someone said earlier that you don't need to spoiler ITT.

Oh.

I kept wondering when Tomoe would show up, I assumed she would be a bossfight, weird then that if that's her you just find her dead, but how did she die?

Has DLC been confirmed?

Oh yeah, another question.

Why did the resurrected Isshin even want to kill you at the end? I thought he was your buddy?

it is pretty funny though how wants you to finish him off at the end hara kiri style.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Oh yeah, another question.

Why did the resurrected Isshin even want to kill you at the end? I thought he was your buddy?

it is pretty funny though how wants you to finish him off at the end hara kiri style.

I still think we should put spoilers on story related bosses and lore.

But to answer your question, since he was ressurected by the Mortal Blade, Isshin is bound to fulfill the wishes of the one who ressurected him.

Thriller

Like I said somewhere earlier in this thread : This is my first FromSoftware game. Even though it keeps kicking my ass I haven't felt this proud of me being able to progress through a game in a while. Love the setting and I'm getting my bosses down.
I have just reached the top of the castle after it went on lock down and in the arena where you met lighting guy I met you know who. Still havent beaten him but I'll get there.

I am just wondering : I play this game on PS4 and I know that there are several endings. Can I experience all of them in my first play through? I am asking this because I tried to copy a save file but this wasn't possible but I keep seeing people who say that they've seen al endings.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I am just wondering : I play this game on PS4 and I know that there are several endings. Can I experience all of them in my first play through? I am asking this because I tried to copy a save file but this wasn't possible but I keep seeing people who say that they've seen al endings.

yes. pretty much when you get to The Owl and his question of allegiance, that is where the four endings split. save you game there before the question to get all 4.

spent my first week NOT playing this and i kind of miss it in other games. the revive mechanic is sorely missed, now in every other game, when i die, i think, "ah, if only i could get back up!"

also, the idea of making block into an offense tactic: BRAVO. every game should have this deflect mechanic in it, rewarding you for blocking at the exact right time.

what a game.

Last edited:

kiiltz

I finally got around to beating Isshin and getting the Immortal Severance ending. I'm extremely tempted to do another playthrough, etc but I don't know if I'm going to have the time. Also I still haven't beaten a single Headless yet lmao.

Of the bosses, Lady Butterfly is still probably the bane of my existence. She was the only boss that still took me a while (see: HOURS) to beat even after "figuring" her out. Owl and Isshin were both pretty difficult in their own right (see: they consistently raped me) but once I got comfortable with them I spent no where near as much time defeating them as I did with Butterfly. Speaking of female bosses, Snake Eyes and O'Rin were giant cunts but oh god were they a blast to fight against. I didn't even use Sabimaru against them because I found their mechanics so entertaining. As far as mini-bosses go I think they were the perfect balance in the kind of attack, damage, posture and parrying you'd want in a mini-boss.

That said, I think From need to tone down on the one-shot, two-shot shit. I believe it detracts from the fantastic parrying mechanic (posted about this earlier and my sentiment still remains the same) and takes the fun out of it. There's challenging and difficult but give the player some room to learn. It also makes things like revive and having ten gourds a little redundant or you know, Unseen "Aid" which I'm sure helped absolutely no one.

Personally, I'd like to see them drop the behemoth-sized monsters in the future, that is, unless they go the Dragon's Dogma/SoC route with being able to scale and climb them but I don't see that happening. As much as I didn't really enjoy the Bull, DoH or the Ape I do feel that they are such integral parts of the world that it would be remiss to leave those type of monsters out in anything but a new IP. And the Snake was pretty entertaining if I do say so myself so I guess there's some ambivalent feelings there.

Btw the setting is breath taking. I really like how they nailed the four seasons of Japan and gave it some kind of extravagant mystical feel that's deeply rooted in it's culture and tradition. My jaw dropped at the the scene when you're transported to Fountainhead Palace and it was really cool and fitting how they made a Shimenawa take you to a place of the gods.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I still think we should put spoilers on story related bosses and lore.

But to answer your question, since he was ressurected by the Mortal Blade, Isshin is bound to fulfill the wishes of the one who ressurected him.

He also mentions that he's pretty excited to test his mettle against Sekiro

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Well despite beating it 5 times and getting platinum achievements I’m playing this again.

Really love the low barrier to entry. Most of their other games, the starting areas can be a slog even if you know what your doing. Here, you can just immediately tear through levels and bosses, absolutely shredding the game with your skills. It feels so good!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well despite beating it 5 times and getting platinum achievements I’m playing this again.

Really love the low barrier to entry. Most of their other games, the starting areas can be a slog even if you know what your doing. Here, you can just immediately tear through levels and bosses, absolutely shredding the game with your skills. It feels so good!
in my opinion Sekiro has best combat in any FromSoftware game, I LOVE it! I'm gussing Sekiro is not getting any DLC like in the pervious games since they are busy working on Elden Ring. It's a shame I would love to get Old Hunter quality DLC for Sekiro as well.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
What ever became of the 'easy mode' patch that was so controversial? Did it remove the challenge, ruin the game, make any difference at all?

Grinchy

Banned

lol I played it maxed out on PC and I'm still thinking about getting a cheap PS4 copy just to go for the platinum. Souls game platinums are always cool to go for. Although, I didn't love the dungeons in Bloodborne but still did it anyway.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Saw this at lunch. Imagine being so dumb/lazy that you can't even configure cheat engine to cheat at a game so you need to have someone else configure it for you. Jeez. More positively, I did actually beat this a while back and forgot to post more about it. It's fantastic, GOTY material for sure. Yeah, it's tricky, but honestly once you understand that you're not playing Dark Souls and you just need to parry a lot, it's not too bad.

Here's my personal loose ranking of bosses from the hardest to easiest (only the main bosses I fought). I'd be interested to see how it compares to others peoples' experiences.

1. Genichiro Ashina - Isshin is technically harder, sure, but this guy comes halfway through the game and is a total brick wall. He's also the point where the game should completely "click" for you since he tests everything you've learned so far. Genuinely one of the best boss fights I've done in video games, period
2. Isshin, The Sword Saint - a right bastard, as the final boss should be, although after you learn how to counter all of his moves, you feel like an untouchable god. Amazing fight
3. Demon of Hatred - simply annoying because it's a Souls boss and each attempt took so long, not very fun at all
4. Guardian/Headless Ape - not bad once you learn to use firecrackers, really keeps you on your toes though
5. Great Shinobi Owl - by the time he showed up I was more than ready for him, ape honestly gave me more trouble
6. Lady Butterfly - strong early fight but the miniboss outside was trickier, this lady just teaches you to use tools where appropriate
7. Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa - oh, that's what this game is
8. Divine Dragon - "story fight"
9. Folding Screen Monkeys - Is it even possible to lose?

Saw this at lunch. Imagine being so dumb/lazy that you can't even configure cheat engine to cheat at a game so you need to have someone else configure it for you. Jeez.
I used an easy mode for my cheat mode so I could have an easy mode and I feel fine.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
4. Guardian/Headless Ape - not bad once you learn to use firecrackers, really keeps you on your toes though
on a recent revisit, i was amazed to only have to battle against him a few times. he was so tough to fight when i first got to him, he was the hardest boss up to that point. now that i have GOT GUD i know the moves, i can battle my way past him in just a few attempts. one of the key moves to learn is how and when to jump, if you can avoid his grab attacks, you can block/parry your way to victory. i was even able to beat second phase without the umbrella. once you know the tell, just run away and get some distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
now that i have GOT GUD i know the moves, i can battle my way past him in just a few attempts.

This is every final successful attempt on the bosses I got stuck on. It was never once a case of "oh shit, thank god I managed to scrap by and win". It was always die, die, die, then absolutely destroy. Feels good.

in my opinion Sekiro has best combat in any FromSoftware game, I LOVE it! I'm gussing Sekiro is not getting any DLC like in the pervious games since they are busy working on Elden Ring. It's a shame I would love to get Old Hunter quality DLC for Sekiro as well.
I've heard rumors there won't be. Hopefully just rumors. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

WindomURL

It's a shame there may be no dlc. I pictured something where you visit other memories via the Sculptor's Buddha... anything, From, please. The game is a masterpiece and I was actually sad when it was over. Like returning from a vacation and dreading the mountain of emails that awaits...

Fuz

Banned
I agree with those, though:

– High Drop item Rate.
– Weapon buff time increase.
– Infinite Spirit Emblem.
I hate farming in Sekiro (even though I liked it in DS games), and those semi-invulnerable minibosses were a fucking farm nightmare

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Even for those, The Shichimen Warrior are much easier so I was able to beat those guys without using too much Confetti but for Headless with the sword I waited until I mastered the parry to take those guys on.
Once I did I put couple of hits and parry his attack, I only used 2 Confetti fighting those guys, breaking their posture is the way beat those guys.

As much as I love Bloodborne, I did more farming for blood vials and Silver bullets than I ever did with Confetti in Sekiro.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I guess my experience was different than others, I put 114 hours in to this game beat every boss in the game and platinum it but I never once grind in Sekiro.
yeah i barely grinded, and when i did, it was always fun. always dumped money into spirit emblems at the idols. if you need confetti, you pluck it from the trees. it is hidden about all over the world, and you won't really need it until the TCM, and there is a route w 4 blue suited ninjas in Ashina Castle, they drop them quit often. in fact one of the most recent patches increased the drop rate.

even when i maxed out the skill tree, by that point i was on NG+++ and earning tons of experience just continuing to play the game. if im halfway through a skill level and near a boss, i might hit up Mibu Village's respawning enemies to get my level up to the next skill point, lest i loose it. there is also the great endgame grinding spot. i found that even to max everything out is not much of a grind at all.

kiiltz

on a recent revisit, i was amazed to only have to battle against him a few times. he was so tough to fight when i first got to him, he was the hardest boss up to that point. now that i have GOT GUD i know the moves, i can battle my way past him in just a few attempts. one of the key moves to learn is how and when to jump, if you can avoid his grab attacks, you can block/parry your way to victory. i was even able to beat second phase without the umbrella. once you know the tell, just run away and get some distance.

always interesting to hear about other people's experiences which I think is a testament to Sekiro's caliber

i beat the ape in 3 tries and that was only bcus I got baited into thinking there was one phase. the only thing that screwed me over was dropping the miniboss in the second fight WHICH IS STILL BULLSHIT BTW

Last edited:

Bergoglio

Where can I buy The full soundtrack? Cd or digital version? It’s impossible to find it on Amazon, Spotify etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom