• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senator Claire McCaskill's Vacation Home Is the Problem With America's Ruling Class

Makonero

On a bright morning in May 2016, U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill tweeted a photo of a pink cocktail garnished with mint and a slice of melon. In the background, the Lake of the Ozarks shimmered in the sun.

“Watermelon mojito,” McCaskill tweeted. “Lake of the Ozarks. Family. Lucky.”

The lakefront vacation property in Missouri where McCaskill goes to escape the partisan chaos of Capitol Hill is owned by her husband, Joseph Shepard, and Rick DeStefane – a close family friend, a regular campaign donor, and a nursing home executive with a track record of serious safety problems in an industry the senator has vowed to clean up.

The allegations against DeStefane range from health and safety lapses linked to gruesome deaths at his nursing homes to a federal investigation into Medicare fraud, an investigation by McClatchy’s Kansas City Star has found.

Meanwhile, DeStefane has entered into multiple financial relationships with McCaskill’s husband while sending checks to underwrite McCaskill’s political career.

McCaskill maintained close, personal ties to DeStefane as she built a reputation as a watchdog against elder abuse and fraud.

She made a name for herself as state auditor in Missouri by cracking down on the nursing home industry. After her election to the Senate in 2006, she eventually became the top Democrat on the Special Committee on Aging, which oversees the federal agencies responsible for regulating nursing homes and investigating Medicare fraud.

In January, McCaskill joined the powerful Senate Finance Committee, which is responsible for authorizing Medicare and Medicaid spending, the main source of funding for nursing homes.

Even as McCaskill shed those donations, she accepted new ones from DeStefane, who has been a consistent supporter of her campaigns over the years.

Since McCaskill first announced in 2005 she would run for the U.S. Senate, DeStefane has given $14,600 to her campaign committee, the maximum amount allowed.

When counting the dollars he sent to her joint fundraising committees and supportive political action committees, DeStefane’s contribution to McCaskill’s federal campaigns totals $61,200, according to an analysis of election records by The Star and the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan campaign finance watchdog.

DeStefane’s most recent donation to McCaskill came on June 26. He gave $5,400, the most he’s allowed to give to her campaign committee this election cycle.

Two days later, DeStefane signed an agreement with the federal government to settle allegations that he and his nursing home company, Reliant Care Group, committed Medicare fraud by knowingly submitting false claims for unnecessary physical, speech, and occupational therapy to nursing home residents between Jan. 1, 2008 and June 30, 2014.

Reliant management reportedly pressured therapists to provide services they did not believe were medically necessary and sought inflated reimbursement from Medicare “influenced by its own financial considerations,” according to settlement documents released by the Justice Department.

DeStefane and Reliant agreed to repay the federal government $8.3 million “to avoid the delay, uncertainty, inconvenience and expense of protracted litigation,” the settlement reads. He denied any wrongdoing.

And the kicker:

McCaskill would not talk to The Star or McClatchy for this story. Her spokesman, John LaBombard, said the senator was vaguely aware that DeStefane was involved in a civil dispute with the Justice Department through her family friendship with him.

She didn’t know details about the dispute, LaBombard said.

The senator’s personal relationship with DeStefane and her use of their shared vacation property at the lake don’t present any conflict of interest with her work in the Senate, he said.

Watermelon mojito me if old.

Read more here

CjkK-C7UYAA5oNf.jpg

You know there are tons of senators who don't care about fucking everyone over because they get to enjoy their weekends like this.

But then people use that as an excuse to paint all senators / politicians as bad and then both sides the hell out of things.

Klotera

There's a Netflix Ozark joke in there somewhere.

Seriously, though, it's not a good look. However, I feel like she's been good overall and want to give her the benefit of the doubt. I'm afraid this could be used against her in the next election. R's coming hard for her in a red state.

Bernie Sanders, the people's champion, owns a 600,000 dollar vacation home. Here's a newsflash, Senators are usually richer than the average nobody.

Ogodei

This is the sort of reporting that discourages Missouri Dems in 2018 while doing nothing to solve the problem.

entremet

Bernie Sanders, the people's champion, owns a 600,000 dollar vacation home. Here's a newsflash, Senators are usually richer than the average nobody.
I think you missed the point. It’s more about the ruling class having access to those who violate flagrant laws meant to regulate those industries. Bribery in a sense.

The article is at fault tho. It framed the issue poorly.

Makonero

So no one read the excerpts or the article? She's buddy-buddy with the kind of people she's supposed to regulate. Whether you're a Democrat or Republican, that's blatant corruption.

Jeels

So no one read the excerpts or the article? She's buddy-buddy with the kind of people she's supposed to regulate. Whether you're a Democrat or Republican, that's blatant corruption.

The alternative is likely even more corruption. At least she will vote for things that will help the average poor person.

The thing that gets me more than anything is that Senators can be bought for $5k-$15k. That's like pennies to a corporation, who can then reap millions/billions in regulatory changes.

Maridia

Why not use the article's actual, very descriptive title?

It'll be interesting to look at her work pertaining to senior care going forward.

Volimar

The thing that gets me more than anything is that Senators can be bought for $5k-$15k. That's like pennies to a corporation, who can then reap millions/billions in regulatory changes.

So true. Senators should hold out for the big money. Too bad there are so many hands out in Washington that the corporations can literally just go to the next guy if a senator is too pricey.

Klotera

It's only corruption if it affects her votes. However, it certainly creates a bad perception.

mhi

Regardless of the economical system, a politician needs money to get the general public's attention and votes. And who has that money? The quote "Elite"; methods of how they got that money not withstanding. So do you think those "Elite" would spend their money in a goodwill cause? This applies to every politician above a certain level that has ever held office.

Is it really that hard to see beyond the veneer of politcs?

The saying goes "Money moves the world" not "Humbled and fair politicians whose interest is to serve the public move the world"

I didn't see it explicitly stated in the article. Did this friendship exist prior to her election as a senator?

If it existed before, then I am going to say it is ok. Politicians are not (and should not be) required to cut long standing social ties.

If it was after her election, then I find it rather problematic.

Being rich is a prerequisite for running for any substantial position. You need to be able to afford not to work for atleast a year plus the obscene amount of advertising money.

This is the sort of reporting that discourages Missouri Dems in 2018 while doing nothing to solve the problem.

I believe that's the point.

Yup, this is explicitly meant to hurt her in the 2018 election. And doesn't actually show that she had any influence on any of the government's decisions regarding him, just that it is "a bad look" for her to have known and taken contributions from him.

Zyae

Owning a vacation home means you are doing pretty well for yourself but a 600,000 home isnt really a big deal in a lot of parts of the country, btw.

lenovox1

Yup, this is explicitly meant to hurt her in the 2018 election. And doesn't actually show that she had any influence on any of the government's decisions regarding him, just that it is "a bad look" for her to have known and taken contributions from him.

It's a clear hit piece that comes to zero conclusions. It's toxic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The point is not just that they're rich. It's that they use their positions of power to gain an upper hand that most people don't have access too, plus there might be a conflict of interest when the hen watchers also can gain financially from the foxes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452041

CornDogg

I didn't see it explicitly stated in the article. Did this friendship exist prior to her election as a senator?

If it existed before, then I am going to say it is ok. Politicians are not (and should not be) required to cut long standing social ties.

If it was after her election, then I find it rather problematic.

Yeah, I think some more information is needed.

That said, I think it's interesting that this is also a shared vacation property. Makes me think that, even if there's some questionable stuff here, she's likely not the most egregious example of corruption in politics.

Matt

There is no evidence of corruption in that article. There isn't evidence of anything, except McCaskill is well off (like most politicians to one extent or another), and is long-time friends with a rich person.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Really? Of all the senators to go after on the subject of wealthy, out of touch elites, they go after Claire McCaskill?

I think you missed the point. It’s more about the ruling class having access to those who violate flagrant laws meant to regulate those industries. Bribery in a sense.

The article is at fault tho. It framed the issue poorly.
Like when powerful people get shady loans based on influence peddling? Bernie would never be involved in something like that at least.

Africanus

She worked hard to launder all that money, might as well use it.
That pic also doesn't have enough blue shading to be real.

Dr. Worm

Banned
DeStefane's case was being handled by the Justice Department, which is part of the executive branch. Where does the Senate come into this?

And that title is just wow.

Top Bottom