• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senator Claire McCaskill's Vacation Home Is the Problem With America's Ruling Class

Cipherr

Read the OP, the vacation home thing doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Do you want to tell me what it actually has to do with? And by actually, I mean something concrete. Has Mccaskill actually received bribes that have swayed her votes towards the sinister in exchange for cash? These aren't secrets so we should be able to get concrete proof of said votes the same way we got concrete proof of said donations?

Or is this a scenario where merely knowing the people you are responsible for regulating is seen as some unbelievable sin that shouldn't be allowed.

Right now it sounds like the latter tbh. It sounds like the fake woke numbskulls see that 'powerful' people know each other, and thus corruption must be afoot, so the suggestion is taken as fact until someone gets their ass on stage in front of an entire nation and asks for a SINGLE INSTANCE of money influencing a vote/decision which is followed by the most abrupt and uncomfortable silence ever...

But maybe that's not it. Maybe you have the goods. Lets see them. Mccaskill is better than the worst but Im not married to her, and I live in the area she represents; so if there is more on her already imperfect record, then let it fly. But Im not down for the goosechase bullshit.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The lakefront vacation property in Missouri where McCaskill goes to escape the partisan chaos of Capitol Hill is owned by her husband, Joseph Shepard, and Rick DeStefane – a close family friend, a regular campaign donor, and a nursing home executive with a track record of serious safety problems in an industry the senator has vowed to clean up.

^^^

The issue is that the property is co-owned by her husband and a campaign donor who works in an industry she has oversight of.

Those are conflicts.

Dr. Worm

Banned
The lakefront vacation property in Missouri where McCaskill goes to escape the partisan chaos of Capitol Hill is owned by her husband, Joseph Shepard, and Rick DeStefane – a close family friend, a regular campaign donor, and a nursing home executive with a track record of serious safety problems in an industry the senator has vowed to clean up.

^^^

The issue is that the property is co-owned by her husband and a campaign donor who works in an industry she has oversight of.

Those are conflicts.

So, what did McCaskill do that would suggest she's not following through on her promise to clean up the industry because of her personal connection?

Matt

^^^

Those are conflicts.
Those are theoretical conflicts. There is absolutely no evidence of any wrongdoing on her part. In fact, the federal investigations into DeStefane's company kinda show she hasn't used her influence inappropriately.

He gave $5,400
OOOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Someone spun a story out of McCaskill drinking a watermelon mojito and some extremely smallfry donations and turned it into populist tirade against the excesses of Washington. Yawn.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So, what did McCaskill do that would suggest she's not following through on her promise to clean up the industry because of her personal connection?

Does not matter.

If you have conflicts, you should get rid of them. It's not enough that the public should just "trust" their representatives.

You have to tell me why people should be able to decide for themselves on a case-by-case basis if a conflict is something that they should be able to ignore.

Anyone can say that this person they own real-estate with in an industry they have oversight of will not be effected by their mutual financial interest, but that's bullshit. What if there's a divorce, an illness, a fire, and now the property is the subject of a legal battle? You can't see the future. It's entitlement and hubris, and absolutely insane.

I don't fully understand from the article, but if it literally a property with her husband's name, and her campaign donor's name on the deed, that's a big conflict.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Man to be a Democrat in office right now. You could get away with damn near anything and wouldn't need to fear being primaried.

Sulik2

And this is why so many people don't vote. All the Republican party is corrupt like this. They are definitely worse then the Dems, but this is just an example of how many of the Dems in government are no better, just outwardly less blatantly evil.

jtb

Banned
This all seems very tenuous to me. Innuendo, close relationships with donors, but no evidence of corruption.

There's an actual Senator on actual trial right now for allegedly taking bribes. That seems more tangible than whatever the hell this is.

Seriously.

And this is why so many people don't vote. All the Republican party is corrupt like this. They are definitely worse then the Dems, but this is just an example of how many of the Dems in government are no better, just outwardly less blatantly evil.
image.php

4Tran

What a gross article; it's a clear smear job, and we should be able to see it for what it is. You'd think that it'd point out how McCaskill's votes and decisions have benefited her nefarious friend if it had any credibility.

So no one read the excerpts or the article? She's buddy-buddy with the kind of people she's supposed to regulate. Whether you're a Democrat or Republican, that's blatant corruption.

I read the article. I'm confused as to whether you did. Here's what I saw:

... she built a reputation as a watchdog against elder abuse and fraud.

She made a name for herself as state auditor in Missouri by cracking down on the nursing home industry.

...she eventually became the top Democrat on the Special Committee on Aging, which oversees the federal agencies responsible for regulating nursing homes and investigating Medicare fraud.

McCaskill joined the powerful Senate Finance Committee, which is responsible for authorizing Medicare and Medicaid spending, the main source of funding for nursing homes.

And then, even with all that power, here's what happened to the friend that had "obviously" been corrupting the Senator.

DeStefane and Reliant agreed to repay the federal government $8.3 million

Matt

Does not matter.

If you have conflicts, you should get rid of them. It's not enough that the public should just "trust" their representatives.

You have to tell me why people should be able to decide for themselves on a case-by-case basis if a conflict is something that they should be able to ignore.

Anyone can say that this person they own real-estate with in an industry they have oversight of will not be effected by their mutual financial interest, but that's bullshit. What if there's a divorce, an illness, a fire, and now the property is the subject of a legal battle? You can't see the future. It's entitlement and hubris, and absolutely insane.

I don't fully understand from the article, but if it literally a property with her husband's name, and her campaign donor's name on the deed, that's a big conflict.
So basically you have to be a monk to be a politician.

Your standard is obscenely high. Her husband bought a house with this guy before he even knew her. This is a non story.

Cipherr

Does not matter.

Yes it fucking does.....

Yes.... it fucking DOES matter.

Jesus fucking Christ.... Actual wrongdoing matters. It's completely different from hypothetical wrong doing. One of those has merit and means something to anyone with common sense. The other, is you playing fucking Minority Report IRL. It's not the same dude.

Im starting to notice a pattern. A bunch of people who don't care much for the substance and meat of things. Only the surface level and first impression level of things.

To hell with whether or not so and so actually took bribes; She has known powerful people for a long time and there COULD be corruption there.

To hell with whether the bill we present has actual detailed nuance for how it would be paid for and executed. Just look at how awesome is SOUNDS. It really gives the APPEARANCE of something great even if its hollow on the inside.

To hell with whether McCaskill is ACTUALLY corrupt and selling votes for 5k campaign contributions and donations. Her knowing this guy mean its possible, so actual wrong doing isn't really necessary, its okay to assume!

I think it's more about McCaskill being up for election in a flippable state that would push the GOP majority up a seat.

She kicked the Republicans ass in 2012 and they never got over it. They thought they had her dead and buried when their GOP candidate couldn't stop going on about Rape If I recall correctly. And McCaskill won it anyway. They are absolutely livid. So its really no surprise they have identified that the fringe far left is their best friend and put this vague shit out as red meat for these lunatics.

Kettch

Does not matter.

If conflicts come up, she would need to recuse herself.

So far, I'm not seeing where that would be needed, since this case was handled by the justice department and not the senate.

The most you can attack her for here is having a shady family friend.

JettDash

I swear some of you people are so ridiculous.

Her husband co-owns a vacation home with a close family friend who donates to her campaign.

And this is somehow supposed to be something that people gives a shit about?

I think there might be more important things to worry about than a vacation home. Like making sure that a fucking Republican doesn't take her Senate seat.

I was expecting this topic/article to just be "rich senator is rich, people need to stop being rich."

But:

Rick DeStefane – a close family friend, a regular campaign donor, and a nursing home executive with a track record of serious safety problems in an industry the senator has vowed to clean up.

The allegations against DeStefane range from health and safety lapses linked to gruesome deaths at his nursing homes to a federal investigation into Medicare fraud, an investigation by McClatchy's Kansas City Star has found.

DeStefane's most recent donation to McCaskill came on June 26. He gave $5,400, the most he's allowed to give to her campaign committee this election cycle.

Two days later, DeStefane signed an agreement with the federal government to settle allegations that he and his nursing home company, Reliant Care Group, committed Medicare fraud by knowingly submitting false claims for unnecessary physical, speech, and occupational therapy to nursing home residents between Jan. 1, 2008 and June 30, 2014.

Reliant management reportedly pressured therapists to provide services they did not believe were medically necessary and sought inflated reimbursement from Medicare ”influenced by its own financial considerations," according to settlement documents released by the Justice Department.

Well then...

Blader

Watermelon mojitos are just a more subtle evil.

PBY

Banned
Watermelon mojitos are just a more subtle evil.
Incredible some of the mental gymnastics in this thread.

Who is saying primary her? That doesn't mean this shouldn't be examined or at least she should take furth conflict mitigating steps.

You mitigate conflicts AHEAD of potential abuse, I fundamentally don't understand the "well she hasn't abused this yet" reasoning herein.

This isn't a big deal, but there isn't anything more frustrating that people saying we can't criticize our elected officials when clearly there is room for improvement here.

So many people don't vote because they're morons that buy into nonsense like this.

JettDash

I was expecting this topic/article to just be "rich senator is rich, people need to stop being rich."

But:

Well then...

Well all you have to do is prove that Claire McCaskill, in exchange for a $5400 donation, used her influence to have the Justice Department give the guy a deal.

JettDash

Who is saying primary her? That doesn't mean this shouldn't be examined or at least she should take furth conflict mitigating steps.

You mitigate conflicts AHEAD of potential abuse, I fundamentally don't understand the "well she hasn't abused this yet" reasoning herein.

This isn't a big deal, but there isn't anything more frustrating that people saying we can't criticize our elected officials when clearly there is room for improvement here.

How could she abuse her husband co-owing a vacation home with a family friend who has donated to her campaign.

Be specific.

Blader

Who are you talking to? I was making fun of Sulik2's implication that what McCaskill is doing (or not doing) here constituted as a less blatant form of EVIL.

Kettch

Politicians know people. It's absolutely normal to have potential conflicts. That's why we have the recusal system.

If this guy came up in her senate dealings, I expect she would recuse herself as would be appropriate. If you have evidence that she hasn't, then we can talk.

The fact that she has vowed to clean up the nursing home industry, despite knowing a corrupt individual in said industry, means that she's doing a good job of not letting the relationship affect her work.

Well all you have to do is prove that Claire McCaskill, in exchange for a $5400 donation, used her influence to have the Justice Department give the guy a deal.

Or, I could question that guy getting away with all that stuff, and figure out how he was allowed to get away with all of it.

He...didn't get away with it?

What did he get away with?

Two days later, DeStefane signed an agreement with the federal government to settle allegations that he and his nursing home company, Reliant Care Group, committed Medicare fraud by knowingly submitting false claims for unnecessary physical, speech, and occupational therapy to nursing home residents between Jan. 1, 2008 and June 30, 2014.

So, what happened that resulted in him "not getting away with" 6+ years of fraud and patient abuse? All things are peachy-keen now? All the people are taken care of? etc. Surely it must have destroyed him, no?

Not to mention, you know:

The allegations against DeStefane range from health and safety lapses linked to gruesome deaths at his nursing homes to a federal investigation into Medicare fraud, an investigation by McClatchy's Kansas City Star has found.

What happened with that? Deaths alright now too?

But knowing that would require the ability to read. It seems to be a really high bar

Cute.

Matt

Right - and that seems paltry in comparison with what should have happened.
That's the point - softened blows and sweetheart deals, as opposed to issues actually being addressed.
Under what basis are you making that assumption? What do you know about the evidence, the case law, the investigation? That settlement seems to be just for the Medicaid issues, not the other ones. They will have their own settlement or day in court.

You are jumping to a conclusion you have no factual basis for.

Diablos

She's not exactly a liberal darling. She's a Dem senator in a conservative state

I understand why this is something you'd prefer not to see out of our elected officials but honestly this is nothing compared to Republicans. At least she is inclined to legislate sensibly, like rational human beings do and not theocratic loons

Top Bottom