• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal delayed to remove "Intimacy Mode" from PS4 version in the West; Steam version is intact

JimboJones

See this is the other side of the coin when you want your digital (or even physical) stores curated by the platform holder.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For a game like Senran Kagura it's particularly stupid, because all these games are good for is giving certain people an opportunity to oggle.

Considering Polygon has written articles about the violence in TLOUPII, DOOM and now Tomb Raider (and probably others I don't know about) I don't think the people who get mad at games are okay with anything, really.

Nothing but games for babies I guess.

Remember the good old days of Jack Thompson when absolutely, positively everyone who played video games unanimously supported developers right to make whatever the fuck kind of game they wanted? How did we get so far away from that?

Remember how people mocked and LAUGHED at the outrage over the Hot Coffee scandal?

What people now actively want is the Demolition Man society, boring, banal and bland, 25 years later that movie seems downright prophetic.

I can't think of anything more pointless than complaining about sex and violence in media, these things are a major part of life that has been reflected by art since the days of cave paintings and will continue to be forever, just what is the damn point?

Everyone has the right to pick and choose what they want to play, what they don't have the right to is to dictate what others can and can't play, this is some seriously basic shit that it's staggering we've lost sight of.

CatCouch

Nothing but games for babies I guess.

Remember the good old days of Jack Thompson when absolutely, positively everyone who played video games unanimously supported developers right to make whatever the fuck kind of game they wanted? How did we get so far away from that?

Remember how people mocked and LAUGHED at the outrage over the Hot Coffee scandal?

What people now actively want is the Demolition Man society, boring, banal and bland, 25 years later that movie seems downright prophetic.

I can't think of anything more pointless than complaining about sex and violence in media, these things are a major part of life that has been reflected by art since the days of cave paintings and will continue to be forever, just what is the damn point?

Everyone has the right to pick and choose what they want to play, what they don't have the right to is to dictate what others can and can't play, this is some seriously basic shit that it's staggering we've lost sight of.
It seriously baffles me. I've spent so much of my life being taught how to express myself with art and suddenly it all changed like a light switch and now art is considered a threat by the same media that stood up for it in the past. I guess it's not the same media anymore. SMH...

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
So, Sony, two 14 year old girls having an intimate moment and kissing in TLoU:LB is good an acceptable but intimacy in another game is unacceptable?

Fully PC I go.

It seriously baffles me. I've spent so much of my life being taught how to express myself with art and suddenly it all changed like a light switch and now art is considered a threat by the same media that stood up for it in the past. I guess it's not the same media anymore. SMH...

One of the many reasons for this is I think this, we have a problem in modern culture of this obsessive need for change for the sake of change as time goes on, the status quo can never remain the same no matter how much sense the status quo makes

A decade ago the stance was developers being free to make whatever game they wanted, but because a decade has passed it just has to be something different and the only way you can be different on that front is to take the opposite stance.

People just couldn't accept freedom being the status quo because people get bored of the status quo and have to do SOMETHING different to stand out from the past.

I don't get it.

theclaw135

Banned
See this is the other side of the coin when you want your digital (or even physical) stores curated by the platform holder.

Consoles are closed by design, you all but have to get approval.
A widely released unlicensed game during the system's original lifespan, that attempts to be competitive with official titles, has been unheard of since the Sega Genesis.

And Switch has 2 exclusive Senran Kagura games..

16555.jpg

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Peach Ball

Is that even coming to the West? (US/EU)?

Coz some people seem to confuse different things here, whether it's coming to EU/US at all and that it's coming with content removed.

At least it's coming to EU/US on PS4 unlike Omega Labyrinth Z, DOAX3, Bullet Girls Phantasia etc.

It's just that the EU/US branch of PS4 seem to care too much about SJWs.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
As someone else said, the ESRB had already rated it. Here's what it says:

By inflicting damage, players can cause human opponents' clothing to rip apart, revealing lingerie/underwear or partially nude bodies—breasts/buttocks obscured by bright lights. In one mini-game, players can repeatedly slap/squeeze/grab a character's body while she states, “I see you're a pervert” and “That…is not allowed...” The dialogue also references suggestive/sexual material (e.g., “This boobslap…is going to hurt,” and “Why would you massage my t*ts?”). The words “f**k” and “sh*t” appear in the game.

FranXico

This is ok but not goofy anime sexual content?

I don't understand people, there's something really, really twisted about how humans feel violence is more acceptable than sexuality.
Sony are spineless cowards giving in to SJW hypocrites from the so-called "games media".

Considering Polygon has written articles about the violence in TLOUPII, DOOM and now Tomb Raider (and probably others I don't know about) I don't think the people who get mad at games are okay with anything, really.

Yet seems like developers are not going back and censoring these ultra violent games even though they are shamelessly getting increasingly more violent, but sexual or suggestive things get censored or altered. I don’t even know what this mode is in Senran Kagura even though I own Estival, but I’m sure the changes are probably disappointing to most of it’s fans.

The acceptance for violence in the West is getting perturbing especially considering how violent the West is becoming.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Sengan Kagura character designer also drew the characters and ero scenes in the ero rpg game Evenicle, also fully uncensored on Steam

Javthusiast

Banned
I mean sony is right. Just think of the poor children who now have been spared seeing some anime tiddies that would have scarred them for life. They will now be able to enjoy last of us part 2 and other violent games without worrying about getting an eyeful of waifus. Thank you sony for keeping our future generations safe.

thelawof4

Censorship sucks. But some of you seem to think it's only happening with stuff like this. Nearly every game gets censored in some ways. Most of the time you won't even know what you are missing.

There is censorship happening on every platform and in most regions. There are certain games that are censored in Japan and uncensored in Germany/USA also. It is impossible to check every release completely. Most companies do this because they want a specific age rating and they think it will sell more copies.

Relevant:

How Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Is Changed In Japan

That channel Censored Gaming is very informative. I also check multiple websites that report censorship in detail (new and old games).

Last edited:

kunonabi

Censorship sucks. But some of you seem to think it's only happening with stuff like this. Nearly every game gets censored in some ways. Most of the time you won't even know what you are missing.

There is censorship happening on every platform and in most regions. There are certain games that are censored in Japan and uncensored in Germany/USA also. It is impossible to check every release completely. Most companies do this because they want a specific age rating and they think it will sell more copies.

Relevant:

How Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Is Changed In Japan

That channel Censored Gaming is very informative. I also check multiple websites that report censorship in detail (new and old games).

No game is ever completely unfiltered, much like film, but when narrative is compromised, player choice is removed, or in this case chunks of content get ripped out it's unacceptable. Especially when it looks like this is more about Sony virtue signaling and not any actual concerns about the rating.

Aranea

First Super Seducer, then Omega Labyrinth, and now forcing games to remove features from games despite they were in previous games that were already on there platform. Sony Justice Warrior is in full effect now.

Mentioning this feature has been available on previous games, have resulted on many people being banned on that purple forum which is weird.

This type of stuff is only pushing people to go elsewhere when next gen is so close to happening.

Personally, I always found the Intimacy mode an unneeded addition to the games but the whole thing was optional so it is pretty shitty from Sony to suddenly decide on their own that is "problematic" when (as others have pointed out) realistic over the top, graphic violence is A-Ok. What makes certain pixels more important than others Sony?

The worst part is the precedent this sets, and how will mean future games with any kind of sexual content will either never get localized or be censored to hell and back. We already had the Omega Labyrinth debacle, what will be next?

Is there a tldr for this new policy?

From what I read elsewhere any form of interactive fanservice is not allowed now.

It will be very ironic if Nintendo becomes most open platform holder with Switch now (iirc there's another SK game going to Switch which promises innovative usage of it's controllers)

The worst part is how they're enacting this policy just now, forcing XSEED to lose thousands of dollars modifying a game that had already been approved by Sony. themselves

JordanN

Banned
Ok, sony is cucked too. Another reason not to give 'em any money and throw it to lord gaben instead.
How long can Valve resist the social justice pressure?

They're located in Washington which is just as screwed as Commifornia.

Isa

Jesus. Now if I want the uncensored version I have to import or go pc. Honestly Sony have been fucking up bad lately. They're on the verge of losing me. And am I mistaken or can China play a subbed version? I seem to recall seeing it on the HK store. So now re-education camp china is in some ways more free than the "leader of the free world"? What a time to be alive.

petran79

Banned
The worst part is how they're enacting this policy just now, forcing XSEED to lose thousands of dollars modifying a game that had already been approved by Sony. themselves

The point of unlocking and trying new costumes and accessories was Intimacy mode. The icing of the cake would be if despite this the game includes DLC costumes in the PS4 version. If it does, they can screw themselves.

kunonabi

Jesus. Now if I want the uncensored version I have to import or go pc. Honestly Sony have been fucking up bad lately. They're on the verge of losing me. And am I mistaken or can China play a subbed version? I seem to recall seeing it on the HK store. So now re-education camp china is in some ways more free than the "leader of the free world"? What a time to be alive.

Some of the HK Asian releases are in English and some aren't. No idea if this one is.

How long can Valve resist the social justice pressure?

They're located in Washington which is just as screwed as Commifornia.

Valve just doesn't seem to care what outsiders want.

Everyone and their grandmother wanted more Half-Life so of course they never made another one.

I can't see them caring about SJWs either.

Lightsbane

Not gonna lie, this game actually looks like fun. And I don't really give a rats ass about this "intimacy mode."

But, seeing as I don't support censorship...
PASS!

MayauMiao

Valve just doesn't seem to care what outsiders want.

Everyone and their grandmother wanted more Half-Life so of course they never made another one.

I can't see them caring about SJWs either.

Valve saw Brianna Wu's Revolution 60 bombs at sales while Hatred, a game that Wu attacked sold quite well.

Valve realize SJWs don't buy games.

CatCouch

While on the subject of Steam, is there a place that follows or lists what games are uncensored? I'd love to find more adult games to check out but it's obviously something the gaming press isn't going to acknowledge.

Sony might lose me as a customer for these kind of games if they come out censored or just not at all. I need a new place to find info on lewd games~

Valve saw Brianna Wu's Revolution 60 bombs at sales while Hatred, a game that Wu attacked sold quite well.

Valve realize SJWs don't buy games.

Not to mention Where The Water Tastes Like Wine bombed as well.

It's the silver lining to Valve only caring about money, we never got more Half-Life but at least today Valve could give a shit about chasing identity politics at the cost of losing money.

petran79

Banned
While on the subject of Steam, is there a place that follows or lists what games are uncensored? I'd love to find more adult games to check out but it's obviously something the gaming press isn't going to acknowledge.

Sony might lose me as a customer for these kind of games if they come out censored or just not at all. I need a new place to find info on lewd games~

Notice that even on Steam some things are not allowed.
Eg in the recently released game President Yukino, while it has uncensored erotic scenes, developers had to remove some scenes and replace them with new ones, because it featured homoerotic content between imaginary minor boys.

CatCouch

Eg in the recently released game President Yukino, while it has uncensored erotic scenes, developers had to remove some scenes and replace them with new ones, because it featured homoerotic content between imaginary minor boys.
Perhaps that falls into the illegal side of things. I'm not sure. I just want to see erotic content more accepted and the fan service games accepted. I'm pretty surprised that there is so much resistance to what sells. Censorship never sells from what I've seen. Let's just hope Steam doesn't start restricting more and more games.

Vlaphor

Still, one of the benefits with Steam and PC gaming in general is that if stuff is changed, then it can easily be changed back by either the company or the fans.

Starless had a bunch of content cut from the English release (bestiality, scat, penis guillotine) but the company also released a patch same day that put it all back in.
Shiny Days had loli content cut from the English release, but eventually released a patch that restored all of it.

Both patches are easy to find and install. Compare that to something like the uncut version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which requires you to softmod your console just to install it.

This is why I'm eternally grateful that so many Japanese game makers are putting out content on PC as well as consoles.

Last edited:

Dargor

I find this quite funny. It seems Sony is trying to jump on the PC train when its about to crash and burn lol

Top Bottom