• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal delayed to remove "Intimacy Mode" from PS4 version in the West; Steam version is intact

Senhua

Still, one of the benefits with Steam and PC gaming in general is that if stuff is changed, then it can easily be changed back by either the company or the fans.

Starless had a bunch of content cut from the English release (bestiality, scat, penis guillotine) but the company also released a patch same day that put it all back in.
Shiny Days had loli content cut from the English release, but eventually released a patch that restored all of it.

Both patches are easy to find and install. Compare that to something like the uncut version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which requires you to softmod your console just to install it.

This is why I'm eternally grateful that so many Japanese game makers are putting out content on PC as well as consoles.
Still, one of the BIG problem of PC gaming is digital only.
So for the one who prefer physical and uncensored version there are only one options :
Start to learn Japanese language.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

So for the one who prefer physical and uncensored version there are only one options :

I really wish companies would do special editions of their games for PC as well. I want the goodies and the boxart for the fancy PS4 version of Senran, but not the PS4 version of the game.

I can see more Japanese companies switching to Nintendo for the time being. Omega Labyrinth is going to Nintendo, and given Nintendo did nothing about the Senran Kagura spin-offs on Switch I can see them going back to to Nintendo for mainline (it did start on 3DS after all) after this.

So, Sony, two 14 year old girls having an intimate moment and kissing in TLoU:LB is good an acceptable but intimacy in another game is unacceptable?

Fully PC I go.
DpW4dlKVsAAWLil.jpg

Battlechili

Banned
So, Sony, two 14 year old girls having an intimate moment and kissing in TLoU:LB is good an acceptable but intimacy in another game is unacceptable?

Fully PC I go.
I don't agree with the censorship of this game but you don't think the fact that the player is the one interacting with the girl in Senran makes it a bit different? I'm not sure those are comparable.

Last edited:

Senhua

I can see more Japanese companies switching to Nintendo for the time being. Omega Labyrinth is going to Nintendo, and given Nintendo did nothing about the Senran Kagura spin-offs on Switch I can see them going back to to Nintendo for mainline (it did start on 3DS after all) after this.
Yup, i can see that, no doubt this new bullshit policy by sony usa will accelerate that. Honestly for the english version of the game outside Ryu Ga Gotoku series, and several Atlus exclusive sooner or later everything else will go to switch.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

Actually erotic computer games in Japan are pixellated, while their western releases are not

I don't agree with the censorship of this game but you don't think the fact that the player is the one interacting with the girl in Senran makes it a bit different? I'm not sure those are comparable.

I am sure there is plenty of dark fanmade content with Ellie too but you will not hear as much compared to anime fanart

Last edited:
It's only going to get better, lmao.
Sony Japan were not okay with sexualized content before (the Saturn versions of Snatcher and Policenauts compared to the PS1 versions made that more than clear, and then Sony tried to ask Kojima to censor the already censored version some more just for a PSN rerelease on PS3) but make no mistake, this recent censorship drive is NEW and so far driven by the Western offices. So far (starting from summer 2018) it already affected these games, and the list is growing each day:

• Omega Labyrinth Z: While rejected in a couple of European countries, its cancelled PS4 Western version was cleared by legal authorities in the US and approved by PEGI and ERSB for mature, not adult-only ratings. The decision is confirmed to come from Sony, the Western publisher is looking for ways to port it to Steam or other platforms, and the Japanese publisher is doing the next game in the series exclusively on Switch.
  • Nekopara Vol.1: Delayed indefinitely in the West for PS4 the same week as Omega Labyrinth Z. Already available on Steam. Fate of Volume 2 (announced for PS4 and Switch) unknown.
  • Super Seducer: Cleared by Sony, approved by ERSB/PEGI, doesn't actually reward sexual predator behavior that despite being given as options result directly in an instant game over. However after the release, articles that are more upset by the concept of a pick-up artist advice book for heterosexual relationships and think it shouldn't be allowed to exist, Sony listened and immediately squandered the release.
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re-Newal: Cleared by ERSB/PEGI, rejected by Sony who asked for specific parts of the game to be cut. Steam version unaffected. The cut content was allowed before.
The writing is on the wall, plausible deniability is no longer affordable. Sony is starting to mandate game content censorship at their own discretion, and not to satisfy legal obligations. So far it covers non-Japanese releases and sexual content, but the scope of both of these WILL be enlarged quite soon.

It's hilarious that soon-ish, Nintendo will be home to the uncensored versions of this kind of games. It's more interesting that Nintendo already started doing this with the 3DS then went all the way to lure in former Vita developers to prop its third party support, enough to cite it in their business briefings as a company strategy and for Western branches to allow sex cam simulators and barely censored actual sexual act simulation games, of course with the appropriate ratings and viewership restrictions.

Some usual suspects were already lamenting Steam's move to open the gates for sexual/violent games they used to issue blanket bans for (in what tried to pretend be articles laterally criticizing how the new release tab was too cramped and the only way to check new releases, and how Steam should reinstate their Greenlight days "curation") and the presence of some games on Nintendo systems. I'm making no illusions about their true intentions.

Think it can't get any worse with Sony systems? Think again.

Meet Mark Brown's article about Tomb Raider death animations: "Tomb Raider’s grisly death animations are outdated"
It argues that the violent death animations make him uncomfortable, and that some people (???) derive sexual pleasure from it (?????????) or that it's violence against women (!!!), and since we can reach for straws and call them "sexist" or "uncomfortable" or "outdated", that means violence in games, not just sexual content, should get purged from games. Sound familiar?
Sony cares about these gaming journalism "opinion" pieces enough to tell developers after paying hefty certification money, to go fuck themselves just so they "don't look bad". Expect Sony to have even more similitude with nineties Nintendo than even today's Nintendo did (who for all their faults only focused on censoring their own games, bar some exceptions like Dragon Ball Fusions 3DS and the initial release of Binding of Isaac 3DS that ultimately just got delayed... and they undid that.)

Last edited:

CatCouch

Sony Japan were not okay with sexualized content before (the Saturn versions of Snatcher and Policenauts compared to the PS1 versions made that more than clear, and then Sony tried to ask Kojima to censor the already censored version some more just for a PSN rerelease on PS3) but make no mistake, this recent censorship drive is NEW and so far driven by the Western offices. So far (starting from summer 2018) it already affected these games, and the list is growing each day:

• Omega Labyrinth Z: While rejected in a couple of European countries, its cancelled PS4 Western version was cleared by legal authorities in the US and approved by PEGI and ERSB for mature, not adult-only ratings. The decision is confirmed to come from Sony, the Western publisher is looking for ways to port it to Steam or other platforms, and the Japanese publisher is doing the next game in the series exclusively on Switch.
  • Nekopara Vol.1: Delayed indefinitely in the West for PS4 the same week as Omega Labyrinth Z. Already available on Steam. Fate of Volume 2 (announced for PS4 and Switch) unknown.
  • Super Seducer: Cleared by Sony, approved by ERSB/PEGI, doesn't actually reward sexual predator behavior that despite being given as options result directly in an instant game over. However after the release, articles that are more upset by the concept of a pick-up artist advice book for heterosexual relationships and think it shouldn't be allowed to exist, Sony listened and immediately squandered the release.
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re-Newal: Cleared by ERSB/PEGI, rejected by Sony who asked for specific parts of the game to be cut. Steam version unaffected. The cut content was allowed before.
The writing is on the wall, plausible deniability is no longer affordable. Sony is starting to mandate game content censorship at their own discretion, and not to satisfy legal obligations. So far it covers non-Japanese releases and sexual content, but the scope of both of these WILL be enlarged quite soon.

It's hilarious that soon-ish, Nintendo will be home to the uncensored versions of this kind of games. It's more interesting that Nintendo already started doing this with the 3DS then went all the way to lure in former Vita developers to prop its third party support, enough to cite it in their business briefings as a company strategy and for Western branches to allow sex cam simulators and barely censored actual sexual act simulation games, of course with the appropriate ratings and viewership restrictions.

Some usual suspects were already lamenting Steam's move to open the gates for sexual/violent games they used to issue blanket bans for (in what tried to pretend be articles laterally criticizing how the new release tab was too cramped and the only way to check new releases, and how Steam should reinstate their Greenlight days "curation") and the presence of some games on Nintendo systems. I'm making no illusions about their true intentions.

Meet Mark Brown's article about Tomb Raider death animations: "Tomb Raider’s grisly death animations are outdated"
It argues that the violent death animations make him uncomfortable, and that some people (???) derive sexual pleasure from it (?????????) or that it's violence against women (!!!), and since we can reach for straws and call them "sexist" or "uncomfortable" or "outdated", that means violence in games, not just sexual content, should get purged from games. Sound familiar?
Sony cares about these gaming journalism "opinion" pieces enough to tell developers after paying hefty certification money, to go fuck themselves just so they "don't look bad". Expect Sony to have even more similitude with nineties Nintendo than even today's Nintendo did (who for all their faults only focused on censoring their own games, bar some exceptions like Dragon Ball Fusions 3DS and the initial release of Binding of Isaac 3DS that ultimately just got delayed... and they undid that.)
I do have a sneaking suspicion that the constant barrage of negative pieces from journalists is causing Sony to repeat Nintendo's mistakes where they censored their games due to articles criticizing them (I really think a few articles accusing Nintendo of sexualizing minors with Xenoblade CX was the tipping point there).

It's too early to really tell but I wonder if the backlash over violence against women in TLoUPII will result in it quietly being toned down behind the scenes. I can't imagine anyone is dumb enough to try to please sites like Polygon since they will complain no matter what. I'm just worried Sony is listening to articles claiming Spier-Man is racist, that Horizon is offensive to Native Americans, that anime games are sexual assault simulators, that Tomb Raider and TLOUPII are harmful to women and so on. The complaints never end with games like Persona 5, South Park and AssCreed Origins also being targeted. I think it's easier to list games that don't have articles written about them. Even God of War had some toxic masculinity articles written about it iirc, I didn't read them, though. I hope Sony is ready to censor themselves out of even making games if they wish to please the complainers, lol.

Nintendo pulled out of the censorship spiral, just not before issuing multiple DMCA's against my fan art on Tumblr. >:/

I think there is hope if Sony loses developer support to the Switch over this. I get the impression that western branches are working against the Japanese branch which may result in rethinking the whole thing. That's what I think Nintendo did, I can't say for sure, though. Steam and Nintendo allowing these games may make Sony rethink about losing that market before they screw up one of their big games. I hope.

petran79

Banned
I think there is hope if Sony loses developer support to the Switch over this. I get the impression that western branches are working against the Japanese branch which may result in rethinking the whole thing. That's what I think Nintendo did, I can't say for sure, though. Steam and Nintendo allowing these games may make Sony rethink about losing that market before they screw up one of their big games. I hope.

Nintendo of Japan has more authority over games distribution when compared to Sony, regarding their Western branches. Their Japanese audiences ever since the NES days had usually unedited versions of games. Nintendo still focuses mainly in promoting Japanese games.
Unlike PS1, Playstation 4 now focuses mainly on promoting Western games outside Japan, since it is there where they get most if their revenue. Japanese third party games have become too niche to warrant any change in policy

About notions of the series going to Switch to avoid censorship, Nintendo has now witnessed one of their competitors suddenly enact a policy for Western markets that caused a game to get completely scuttled and another to have its released delayed to remove a mode. This move by Sony could have a chilling effect, across the industry. As much as Nintendo allowed SK Reflexions, I'll be keeping a close eye on what happens with Peach Ball, once if finally (hopefully) gets a Western announcement. Nintendo has never been consistent, when it comes to censorship in the West, and I can easily see the not wanting to gain the reputation of the system with all the pervy Japanese games.

joe_zazen

This is ok but not goofy anime sexual content?

I don't understand people, there's something really, really twisted about how humans feel violence is more acceptable than sexuality.

Especially when it comes to kids and adolescents. Do people really believe there is no consequence to being exposed to simulated violence from birth? Might that not be a reason USA population supports killing brown people and invading their countries?

I also wonder if AAA game devs subconsciously feel bad about devoting their lives to making murder simulators and that is why they feel the need to inject other types of politics into their games, like an industrial polluter who is into recycling.

joe_zazen

...these things are a major part of life that has been reflected by art since the days of cave paintings and will continue to be forever...

I dont think this is true, things do change. For example, female humans were at the mercy of their reproductive biology and the physically stronger sex (i.e. males) since forever. With the rise of technology, this is no longer true. Violence may go away as well as things change.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that the constant barrage of negative pieces from journalists is causing Sony to repeat Nintendo's mistakes where they censored their games due to articles criticizing them (I really think a few articles accusing Nintendo of sexualizing minors with Xenoblade CX was the tipping point there).

It's too early to really tell but I wonder if the backlash over violence against women in TLoUPII will result in it quietly being toned down behind the scenes. I can't imagine anyone is dumb enough to try to please sites like Polygon since they will complain no matter what. I'm just worried Sony is listening to articles claiming Spier-Man is racist, that Horizon is offensive to Native Americans, that anime games are sexual assault simulators, that Tomb Raider and TLOUPII are harmful to women and so on. The complaints never end with games like Persona 5, South Park and AssCreed Origins also being targeted. I think it's easier to list games that don't have articles written about them. Even God of War had some toxic masculinity articles written about it iirc, I didn't read them, though. I hope Sony is ready to censor themselves out of even making games if they wish to please the complainers, lol.

Nintendo pulled out of the censorship spiral, just not before issuing multiple DMCA's against my fan art on Tumblr. >:/

hope they leave Peach Beach Splash and Estival Versus unaffected

That’s what's ironic about this shit. And the same thing for most of those kind of games on PS Vita. This does nothing but piss off Japanese publishers in which they have to spend more time & money just to edit off of shit in which they already made in order to please Sony.

What Sony's currently doing, is going to wind up pushing more Japanese publishers to ignore putting more of their games on Sony's platform & make them exclusive to Switch &/or PC.

Last edited:
So what is what we as consumers/fans would realistically do? Write respectful letters to Sony's head honchos telling them to stop with these bonehead decisions? Because not supporting the games will only end up hurting the small publishers that brought the games to the west, leaving Sony unharmed.

CatCouch

So what is what we as consumers/fans would realistically do? Write respectful letters to Sony's head honchos telling them to stop with these bonehead decisions? Because not supporting the games will only end up hurting the small publishers that brought the games to the west, leaving Sony unharmed.
In this case I'd say buy it on Steam since it's uncensored there. Not buying the censored games is likely the best thing you can do. Nintendo really did stop censoring their games recently and with Steam opening the market up for uncensored adult content there is momentum for gaming to move away from restricting more and more. Support uncensored games!

kunonabi

In this case I'd say buy it on Steam since it's uncensored there. Not buying the censored games is likely the best thing you can do. Nintendo really did stop censoring their games recently and with Steam opening the market up for uncensored adult content there is momentum for gaming to move away from restricting more and more. Support uncensored games!

It's a little too early say Nintendo has stopped censoring their games. 3rd party stuff hasn't been an issue for awhile so we need to see they handle 1st party stuff and the Switch just hasn't any releases to really test their current stance on altering content.

As far what we can do there isnt much. Sending a letter probably wont do anything since the people behind this initiative are happy to see the people who want these games upset and they would rather not have your money.

Not buying anything on Sony platforms might at least get the companies being screwed to focus more on putting their content elsewhere if they start seeing less return on Sony's platforms. I like to support these smaller companies too and at the moment the PS4 is my only avenue to support them but I'm still going to curb my spending since I will not play ball with Sony if this how they're going to treat smaller 3rd parties and their consumer base.

I'd say the best way to go about this is to write to Sony sternly, but civilly and buy the PC version. It shows Sony that people are serious about how much they dislike censorship while XSEED and Marvelous still get their money.

Vlaphor

It's a little too early say Nintendo has stopped censoring their games. 3rd party stuff hasn't been an issue for awhile so we need to see they handle 1st party stuff and the Switch just hasn't any releases to really test their current stance on altering content.

Smash Bros comparisons

Wii U

maxresdefault.jpg

Switch

DfmVxXZXkAAomJ4.jpg

Samus has definitely seen a downgrade here.

Not quite the same in terms of what happened with Senran, but it's seems that Nintendo may have their eye somewhat in this same direction.

Smash Bros comparisons

Wii U

maxresdefault.jpg

Switch

DfmVxXZXkAAomJ4.jpg

Not quite the same in terms of what happened with Senran, but it's seems that Nintendo may have their eye somewhat in this same direction.
I'm sure this is more an artistic choice by sakurai and his team(Or CERO rating system are still very strict like it was with Smash 4) because some models from this game are like a brand new one , for example Xenoblade 2 got no censorship visually and in its content with NOA.

In contrary with the Wii U era it's honestly night and day when you see that it's nintendo that asked developers to bring GalGun 2 to their console or having a deal in Europe for physical copies of SNK heroines.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Now that I watched the trailer, Burst Intimacy mode is much more varied than the previous entries with more details. It is odd that previous entries were you just squeeze, wet and slap the T&A of the characters are allowed, yet this entry where you give them massage and hold hands is removed

Vlaphor

I'm sure this is more an artistic choice by sakurai and his team(Or CERO rating system are still very strict like it was with Smash 4) because some models from this game are like a brand new one , for example Xenoblade 2 got no censorship visually and in its content with NOA.

In contrary with the Wii U era it's honestly night and day when you see that it's nintendo that asked developers to bring GalGun 2 to their console or having a deal in Europe for physical copies of SNK heroines.

The fact that XC2 got released uncut is something of a relief and something to consider, but we will wait and see.

The fact that XC2 got released uncut is something of a relief and something to consider, but we will wait and see.

Nintendo published games aren't good indicator since they might be influencing development to avoid unwanted elements. Real test will be 3rd party games

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
If sony cared about communication between us and them, then they gotta realize these "journalist" and social terrorist are not their audience.

SNG32

Basically PS4 and Xbox one is the beta test version and next gen and PC are the versions with the added features.

Smash Bros comparisons

Wii U

maxresdefault.jpg

Switch

DfmVxXZXkAAomJ4.jpg

I'm waiting to see if she still has her 2 shorts and tank top colors before making judgement on this.

Seeing NOA being ok with senran kagura refle and SONY don't want anymore this kind of content is really a weird timeline lol

You can say that again, long Nintendo used to be known for things like putting dresses on naked statues.

But Nintendo has wisely decided in recent years to play up it's Japaneseness and court the Otaku audience.

You can slice off a titty, just don't you dare lick it.

Bruce Campbell once said something similar (although he said "kiss it")

If sony cared about communication between us and them, then they gotta realize these "journalist" and social terrorist are not their audience.

They are parasites actively trying to ruin games because they hate gamers, it's utterly terrifying to think of big publishers and developers taking them seriously.

So. Much. Whining.

It's absurd how modern "games journalism" is literally predicated on whining about stupid bullshit that doesn't matter, it's literally NEVER something that actually matters that these people complain about.

Especially when it comes to kids and adolescents. Do people really believe there is no consequence to being exposed to simulated violence from birth? Might that not be a reason USA population supports killing brown people and invading their countries?

I also wonder if AAA game devs subconsciously feel bad about devoting their lives to making murder simulators and that is why they feel the need to inject other types of politics into their games, like an industrial polluter who is into recycling.

About the only thing I can think of for the reason for this disconnect between sex and violence is this: violence in a fantasy context is just that, a fantasy, if a little kid sees violence in a movie it's not "real" but a naked woman is a naked woman, there's no fantasy there.

And being turned on, as well as sex in general, is something kids would have a harder time understanding than violence, everyone understand violence from the moment they fall and scrape their knee, but sex and sexual arousal is another story.

So I can kind of understand why people get more uncomfortable with sex than violence, the trouble is it's taken to absurd degrees, especially when we're talking media that is only aimed at an adult audience anyway, in which it's absurd to treat sexual content as more taboo than violence.

I dont think this is true, things do change. For example, female humans were at the mercy of their reproductive biology and the physically stronger sex (i.e. males) since forever. With the rise of technology, this is no longer true. Violence may go away as well as things change.

But violence in media is never going away completely because you need drama and conflict, action and danger, otherwise a story is boring.

Even in some future utopian society they would still tells stories about either the past or fantasy worlds where violence is a fact of life because otherwise it'd be boring, drama always needs conflict.

Oooh, as it turns out from reading more about the situation, there is a couple of PS VR games that were also cut at the source in Japan to remove any situations where "girls are contacted physically", sexually or not.
  • Million Arthur VR: Shortly delayed to remove head patting
  • Happy Manager VR: Delayed for half a year, major changes from pre-release, most interactions with girls you meet releguated to a gallery mode that shows functional but not interactive VR, with some scenes in fixed camera.
I take my words back, it really seems this recent "new policy" as Xseed puts it has also started to spread to the Japanese side. In that case, that would explain a lot why the next Omega Labyrinth is Switch-exclusive even in Japan. PS VR from the onset had significant restrictions on what could be shown, but it's really interesting Sony somehow found ways to make the restrictions even more draconian on virtual home simulators.
I wonder what that means for the future of VR in Japan for publishers interested in certain kinds of experience, would this be what propels PC VR headset adoption in Japan? Nintendo had VR planned for Switch too and it's still in the files, just disabled because the resolution is too low.

Nintendo interfered with 3rd party content they helped localize, remember?
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV was supposed to be them in Europe, and interviews that it was coming in 5 languages? Then after two years of nothing, Atlus self-published an uncensored digital English-only version there.
  • Story of Seasons went through the same process and all alcoholic beverages as items were removed from the code, something not even the SNES era Nintendo publishing the first Harvest Moon in Europe did.
  • Bravely Default and Bravely Second had costume cuts (over indecently exposed navels, vulgar visible shoulders, cleavage window that's not narrow enough, or the best one, the "cultural appropriation" costume, and the diaper costume for the males that had to go because reasons?), then major story cuts (some bad endings cut because they're "too dark"). Art books had ribbons floating around Agnes photoshopped away because someone thinks it's "BDSM", not imagery about threads of fate.
  • All Dragon Quest games published by Nintendo had the puff-puff joke (which is supposed to be in the original a black screen and some humorous text with non-explicit language) removed every single time. The equivalent games in the NES/GBC era localizations somehow got away with it occasionally.
And then they did for games they didn't publish or distribute (not including a rumor about a certain unreleased DS game set in WW2 Reggie commented on):
  • Dragon Ball Fusions, on the 3DS, replaced all swords with wooden ones, and when inquired about it Namco confirmed (before deleting it) it was a condition asked for by Nintendo of America.
  • The Binding of Isaac on the old 3DS. Nintendo rejected it over its "offensive" content. Of course, considering it was the "wrong way" to censor third party content, game journalists threw a fit and Nintendo of America staff apologized and said they still wanted to make it happen. That indie developer still never cared to make that release happen. The new 3DS got a quick Unity port of it a couple of years later and it was approved that time around.
I don't need to mention their own stuff either, do I? (I consider since they own Fatal Frame's new games in the IP, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, those might as well count as first party) This post would get much bigger, plus that's not the point here.

The Switch is now allowing actual adult games, of the kind Steam before the recent changes would ban but not the kind with full nudity, just barely short of that. The messaging was clear from day one. Xseed knew in advance the Switch game was coming to reassure in time fans worried about its disappearance from Western Nintendo Directs not to jump to conclusions, which means Nintendo's messaging for third party publishers was clear. The emphasis on parental controls for the Switch is also new.

As for the first party stuff, the latest bouts of censorship were slight graphical changes to the bathroom microgame in WarioWare Gold that are even in the JP version but the core idea is still in there and NoA would have purged the entire game had they listened to Kotaku's rage articles about this particular game (I remember that crap), or trying to avoid any dialogue that comments negatively in any way about an ingame LGBT/fat character, not just those traits (but even that "sensitivity training" is getting tempered more and more). On the other side, Xenoblade 2 made it with a few textual changes (that don't dare to purge entire sections the old way, at best reword them) and no graphical/content cuts.

Careful optimism is still in order nevertheless. The new Fire Emblem will be the real test most probably. But things did get better. Nintendo is even publishing a fitness training game in the West instead of leaving to the JP publisher to fend for themselves (D3Publisher). That by itself would have never been allowed by the same people who cover up wedding dresses in Tokyo Mirage Sessions and remove Queen Zora complaining about her fatness curse in Zelda on 3ds.

Last edited:
Oooh, as it turns out from reading more about the situation, there is a couple of PS VR games that were also cut at the source in Japan to remove any situations where "girls are contacted physically", sexually or not.
  • Million Arthur VR: Shortly delayed to remove head patting
  • Happy Manager VR: Delayed for half a year, major changes from pre-release, most interactions with girls you meet releguated to a gallery mode that shows functional but not interactive VR, with some scenes in fixed camera.
I take my words back, it really seems this recent "new policy" as Xseed puts it has also started to spread to the Japanese side. In that case, that would explain a lot why the next Omega Labyrinth is Switch-exclusive even in Japan. PS VR from the onset had significant restrictions on what could be shown, but it's really interesting Sony somehow found ways to make the restrictions even more draconian on virtual home simulators.
I wonder what that means for the future of VR in Japan for publishers interested in certain kinds of experience, would this be what propels PC VR headset adoption in Japan? Nintendo had VR planned for Switch too and it's still in the files, just disabled because the resolution is too low.

Sony's only going to drive away the Japanese gaming audience & small Japanese 3rd party publishers who are into those kind of games & start pushing them onto the Switch more. Not a smart move.

They were already having a tough time getting people in Japan to buy the PS4 once it was officially released in which gamers there were still buying PS3 games & consoles, despite PS4 & it's versions of games being out. It took Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain just for Japan to pay attention to PS4 more (& that was 21 months after PS4 was officially released there).

Now that the Switch has arrived, it has taken away most of the attention from PS4 in that region. And Sony's new policy of theirs from the west isn't exactly helping. When PS5 releases in Japan, it's going to be the next Xbox there in which less people will pay attention to.

Last edited:
Sony's only going to drive away the Japanese gaming audience & small Japanese 3rd party publishers who are into those kind of games & start pushing them onto the Switch more. Not a smart move.
The otaku audience into fanservice games isn't big enough in Japan to have that much clout.

That said, the way these things go is often like a rolling domino effect. Smaller developers start to support the switch more, put their fanservice games there, then since the mass-appeal of the console is bigger than just the enthusiast gamer audience, suddenly pandering isn't the only way to make bank anymore and more traditional gaming experiences by the same developers start happening. Remember Matrix Software who did Omega Labyrinth Z is also the Final Fantasy III DS developer. Some say the DS was on par with PS2 in sales, but what it didn't have was the hardware power to make games like Monster Hunter work, but with the Switch there's so much things that are going right for it to be reasonable.

It remains to be seen if Nintendo capitalizes properly on that momentum... Some rumors already mention a handheld hybrid concept of some sort (Wii U? Switch? Nvidia Shield?) for the PS5, but as far as Sony's attempts to ape competitors...
  • N64 analog vs PS1 DualShock
  • PSP handheld vs PS1 + Nintendo handheld design
  • PS Move vs Wii shitty motion controls
  • PSV touch screen (now twice!) vs Nintendo DS touchscreens (itself ripped off the Gizmondo and PDAs)
  • PSV track the light thing vs the Game Boy Color IR
  • PS TV vs the Wii U, or PS Vita / PS4 remote play vs Wii U (itself ripped off the THQ Wii tablets)
and Sony's comments about saving the Vita by aping the Wii U, the 3DS, the Switch... in various business briefings instead of trying to be its own thing.. Sony might waste that potential just as usual. There's even some speculation those pushing for this more censorship policy are Sony America people trying to explain away the failure of the Vita with fanservice games instead of their own mishandling and lack of support for it, and if that's true (which is very likely) then that kind of decision making is what will bite them in the ass for future consoles more than anything else.

petran79

Banned
Now that the Switch has arrived, it has taken away most of the attention from PS4 in that region. And Sony's new policy of theirs from the west isn't exactly helping. When PS5 releases in Japan, it's going to be the next Xbox there in which less people will pay attention to.

Even Playstation 4 had to change some of its marketing since it absorbed a lot of former Xbox360 players, especially after the failure of XB1 to capitalize on the former's success.

The otaku audience into fanservice games isn't big enough in Japan to have that much clout.

Not only that, but current desktop consoles became too expensive and restrictive for those type of games. Japan according to some lost its #1 pisition since the 90s.

https://www.finder.com.au/tekken-7s-harada-says-japanese-development-still-dead

theclaw135

Banned
Nintendo published games aren't good indicator since they might be influencing development to avoid unwanted elements. Real test will be 3rd party games

The development stage is crucial to the bigger picture of the debate over censorship.

Devs making this content can no longer feign ignorance about how people overseas will respond to it. And console manufacturers need more consistent standards between regional branches so the dev knows ahead of time what will be accepted where.

It remains to be seen if Nintendo capitalizes properly on that momentum... Some rumors already mention a handheld hybrid concept of some sort (Wii U? Switch? Nvidia Shield?) for the PS5, but as far as Sony's attempts to ape competitors...
  • N64 analog vs PS1 DualShock
  • PSP handheld vs PS1 + Nintendo handheld design
  • PS Move vs Wii shitty motion controls
  • PSV touch screen (now twice!) vs Nintendo DS touchscreens (itself ripped off the Gizmondo and PDAs)
  • PSV track the light thing vs the Game Boy Color IR
  • PS TV vs the Wii U, or PS Vita / PS4 remote play vs Wii U (itself ripped off the THQ Wii tablets)
and Sony's comments about saving the Vita by aping the Wii U, the 3DS, the Switch...in various business briefings instead of trying to be its own thing.. Sony might waste that potential just as usual. There's even some speculation those pushing for this more censorship policy are Sony America people trying to explain away the failure of the Vita with fanservice games instead of their own mishandling and lack of support for it, and if that's true (which is very likely) then that kind of decision making is what will bite them in the ass for future consoles more than anything else.

Oh, boy. If Sony goes along & copies what Nintendo's currently doing with the Switch, a lot of PS fans will lose it.

Everything else what you said, I agree.

Last edited:
It's nothing quite this complex.

SCEA moved their headquarters from Japan to California. These censorship demands started being put on publisher by SCEA pretty much straight after. I doubt I need to elaborate on why that it is.

Last edited:

John Konstantin

Neo Member
I think there are three types of censorship. The first one is the traditional concept of censorship with a government agency banning a game because of its content. This is rare nowadays.

The second one censoring their own work on their own volition. This is done for business reasons, they think that they will get better sales on different markets if they adapt the content to what they think each market wants or finds acceptable. Xenoblade X would be an example of this as well as other Nintendo first party games that are adapted during localization. The developers usually are aware of this during development and they are usually ok with it because they also want their product to be as successful as possible. It can be argued that some of this attempts have been misguided and have been designed to please certain part of the west public that would have bitched about the game original content but would never buy the game anyway instead of pandering to the game's market target on the West.

And the third one is the publisher or plattform owner forcing censorship on a game without any kind of consensus with the developer. It's done by the same reasons as the second one, but developers are simply forced to cut parts of their work unless they want to risk losing any western income. This is by far the worst and more unnaceptable censorship going on these days. I think that Nintendo will likely try to position the Switch as a Vita succesor for "pervy" games and won't likely go back to these practices.

Also, when we talk about the West on this issues, we are really talking mostly about the US. Europe end suffering a lot of this bullshit because there usually is only a localization for all the West and the US branch is usually more influential. In the case of Nintendo, I hope that NoE will do more localizations than NoA, the Xenoblade 2 they did was pretty good IMO.

McCheese

Honestly don't care about the mode they are removing. But am interested in knowing if they'll lower the price of the PS4 version to compensate.

My guess is nope.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Honestly don't care about the mode they are removing. But am interested in knowing if they'll lower the price of the PS4 version to compensate.

My guess is nope.

Why would they? Like why would they offer PS1 classic functionality with PS4? They can re-charge you for the same games you own.

Senhua

Actually erotic computer games in Japan are pixellated, while their western releases are not
For Visual Novel eroge game yes, but mosaic is no problem for me as long as the scene not been cutted. Also by learn japanese you can gain access to all Jap visual novels, as opposed to only approx 10-20% english translated version.

Last edited:

John Konstantin

Neo Member

My guess is nope.

Removing a mode that is already developed is more work for them and therefore more expensive not less. I understand that as a consumer you receive less stuff for the same price, but that's on Sony not on the developer.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

The fuck you on about, mate? XD

Last edited:

CatCouch

Holy shit

Whoa. If Sony starts taking an attitude towards it's audience they might end up with a PR disaster here. I know being unprofessional and insulting people is common for game journalism and is increasingly happening with some game dev employees but if platform holders start this snarky, "screw the consumer" statement crap I'm going to be livid. I thought we were trying to get rid of toxicity in gaming, not add to it...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Whoa. If Sony starts taking an attitude towards it's audience they might end up with a PR disaster here. I know being unprofessional and insulting people is common for game journalism and is increasingly happening with some game dev employees but if platform holders start this snarky, "screw the consumer" statement crap I'm going to be livid. I thought we were trying to get rid of toxicity in gaming, not add to it...

I love Sony. I grew up with them, but this... this may push me to move away from Sony as a platform. This shit is unacceptable. They were the ones pushing for censorship because they have some thin skinned infants running the offices, not the developer. I honestly do hope this because a big issue for them and they stop being such puritanical dick weasels.

Top Bottom