• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT| Life Returns to Vita

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The thing is, a lot of the girl's longer combos will bounce an opponent high enough that they can Triangle you out of your attacks and it will happen if you go for it every time. The best bet I've found is to use short combo strings with a Triangle to launch, then Aerial Rave and Triangle back down.

Made a number of hard fights much easier once I realized which hits launch them too high and to Triangle out before it reaches there.

That said I had no real reason to believe this game would be as good as it is but goddam is it fun. Katsuragi is pure fire and voiced by Yuu Kobayashi so I have to main her.
Ugh, some characters like Minori are annoying because of exactly what you said. Or hell, the enemy automatically dodges your attack because the next Square attack misses them because you launched them into the air.

Thankfully, it's not the issue with a lot of characters, from what I've noticed.

Corgi

Banned
katsuragi is fantastic as a character.

wish her weak combo was better. super hard to land hits lol.

no clue why for such a juggle heavy game that there is no air guard/parry system.

pariah164

"Why were people on GAF getting curbstomped during Daidoji's story? I mean, it's not that ba-"

*gets to Rin, proceeds to get owned*

"... WELP. Time to level."

Seriously, glad to have them both. I love Daidoji's look. DAT HAIR too.

Well, I finally finished up all the stories and the final battle. Had just under 29 hours clocked in. I definitely enjoyed it overall, but it did feel like kind of a slog in the last few hours. When I first started I was enjoying the story a little bit with Hanzo, but much less so as I went on since none of the stories seemed to match up at all and contradicted each other in a bunch of places. The discrepancies made a bit more sense with Burst since the Hebijo story was added into the rerelease from what I heard, but with all of the stories here from the get go the differences actually brought down my enjoyment of it all. Kind of worried about SK2 in that aspect too since it takes places in between Burst and this and seems to make the canon a bit more murky again. Still haven't gotten any of the DLC, not sure if I will since I'm kind of burned out at the moment.

On the plus side though, one recent game I've actually finished and didn't just chuck into the backlog once something else came out lol.

pariah164

06P07mm.jpg

Bah gawd.

Hikage forever best girl.

Demoskinos

Do you have to have story cleared for the DLC characters to show up? Cause Rin isn't showing up for me granted I just started the storyline for that school.

bobohoro

no clue why for such a juggle heavy game that there is no air guard/parry system.

I also miss the Air Ninpos.

Just finished Mirai's character arc and really liked it. The final battle and the Deathboobs in the picture made me laugh.

And Hikage is still easily best girl, in both character and playstyle.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do you have to have story cleared for the DLC characters to show up? Cause Rin isn't showing up for me granted I just started the storyline for that school.
The DLC characters only have character-specific missions, they don't appear in the story missions.

I already had Hanzo beat when I tried Daidouji, so I don't know if you actually have to complete the school's main story first. It didn't say that you had to on the product page.

"Why were people on GAF getting curbstomped during Daidoji's story? I mean, it's not that ba-"

*gets to Rin, proceeds to get owned*

"... WELP. Time to level."

Seriously, glad to have them both. I love Daidoji's look. DAT HAIR too.
Yeah, Daidouji's missions were rather easy for the most part (though fighting 2 girls at the same time was kind of annoying), but then the difficulty just spikes so high.

& totally a fan of her hair on both forms. Again, her Shinobi form's hair & hat feels like a reference to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The battle against Rin as Daidouji is A level bullcrap. I'm convinced she cheats during that fight. Super Shinobi indeed.

Demoskinos

The DLC characters only have character-specific missions, they don't appear in the story missions.

I already had Hanzo beat when I tried Daidouji, so I don't know if you actually have to complete the school's main story first. It didn't say that you had to on the product page.

Yeah, Daidouji's missions were rather easy for the most part (though fighting 2 girls at the same time was kind of annoying), but then the difficulty just spikes so high.

& totally a fan of her hair on both forms. Again, her Shinobi form's hair & hat feels like a reference to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:

I only say that because the game is absolutely recognizing the Rin DLC as her costumes and stuff are there in the dress up menu she's just not there on the character select.

Chrom

Yup, I always found that amusing. I do believe it's an intentional design choice, like with most if not all of the original girls from Burst.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I only say that because the game is absolutely recognizing the Rin DLC as her costumes and stuff are there in the dress up menu she's just not there on the character select.

Probably have to beat the game. My guess is you have to unlock the original Hebijo characters.

The Hebijo storyline is by far the best one, with some of the best characters, but oh my god do I hate almost all of their outfits. Immediately switched them out as soon as I got something better. Miyabi's pretty great but I've found myself absolutely wrecking shit as Imu or Ryona, sometimes Ryobi depending on the person. Murasaki is a great character and I like her character type but oh my god do I fucking suck with her. I just can't compensate for her range. Meanwhile I spin-chain with Ryona and, hard to believe but I tried to see if I could do it, I actually beat a girl before she could transform on one of the first stages when Ryona was like 32 or something.

I find myself really liking a lot of the girls in this actually, though I'm completely unsurprised to find myself disliking almost all the Hanzo girls save Katsuragi. Gessen is where it's at.

Grab the DLC eventually.

Corgi

Banned
yeah i hope the sequel for this has better boss fights. Theres no way to tell which moves have priority vs others (although enemy attacks always seem to have priority!).

And you losing camera lock if they are too far away is stupid.

Give me air ninpos, air counter, air parry, ukemi, dodge offset,

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd like a sequel to scrap the combat system entirely and start from scratch. It's worse (and less flashy) than musou games, which is something I didn't really think was possible.

Josephl64

yeah i hope the sequel for this has better boss fights. Theres no way to tell which moves have priority vs others (although enemy attacks always seem to have priority!).

And you losing camera lock if they are too far away is stupid.

Give me air ninpos, air counter, air parry, ukemi, dodge offset,

Senran Kagura 2 is worse with bosses, I'm hoping Estival Versus gets it right which would technically be the sequel for Shinovi

Nyoro SF

the only thing a sequel (well EV i guess) needs is a better camera and an air parry system

and more Hikage

I find the camera in SV to be fine though. The problem is some stages (noticeably those in the Hebijo story) have environments that are too small for the camera to properly move around in. In EV they should attempt to standardize stage sizes.

I can see why they didn't allow the parry system in the air. It's already hard for some characters to break guards already, now imagine air guarding and air parrying. Characters with Breach Arts with short range would be more screwed than they already are.

EDIT: I just noticed that Homura can do a shoryuken when fighting her. I don't recall being able to do that when playing her!

I've just made a killing on the PSN : Rin & Daidouji, both costumes sets, and the Halloween bonus.

Now, onto the dressing room to test all those new costumes !

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
For those having trouble with that Rin battle. Try blocking with R and you can wait for an opening and use your Strong attack at full charge to launch right into Aerial Wave. You can also block and go right into one of your special attacks from your blocking stance.

Makes it much more manageable.

Your guard can be broken but not for like 7-10 seconds of getting wailed on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally finished Gessen's story. Should be able to start on the 3rd school later this week.

& DAMN IT, YUMI, WHY DOES YOUR L+O SPECIAL HAVE SUCH A SMALL RANGE. I had to restart the final mission because I used it & despite having a sliver of health left, Asuka only went in it when the attack was almost done, yet wasn't defeated....

Edit: Oh yeah, something silly I noticed when using Shiki's L+O Special. She basically gets rid of her clothing with bats acting as censors.........but then I noticed she still has her panties on, making half of the bat censor pointless.

Jathaine

I'm not worried about playing the game in public. I only worry about playing it around certain people that I actually know.

I'd play it around my sister and some of my friends but aside from that I'm not so sure.
Heck, I even let my sister try out the lingerie lotto the other day.

She thinks its a funny/interesting game but I'm sure if I went over to my mom's and showed it to her, the reaction would be different!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So am I suppose to be able to control Imu's L+Triangle special? I tried it for the first time and it seems to only bounce away from where the boss is.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So am I suppose to be able to control Imu's L+Triangle special? I tried it for the first time and it seems to only bounce away from where the boss is.

If it's the Destructo Disk then no it has a preset path and you have no control over it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bah, that sucks. It's gonna be a pain to use in smaller areas.

Least I unlocked the rest of the Hebijo school. Murasaki feels like the slowest attacker, though maybe I just need to level her up.

Hmm, she's a bit better now. Doesn't feel as slow as I thought she did. & cool, got the trophy for tearing through 1,000 pieces of clothing during her 3rd character mission.

I'm not worried about playing the game in public. I only worry about playing it around certain people that I actually know.

I'd play it around my sister and some of my friends but aside from that I'm not so sure.
Heck, I even let my sister try out the lingerie lotto the other day.

She thinks its a funny/interesting game but I'm sure if I went over to my mom's and showed it to her, the reaction would be different!

The real problem is the amount of sound effect the game can use that can be intrepretated in a weird way .
I play this game in public/near friends but with headphones.

It's not me but at some point , there is always someone who can't concentrate ( for some reason ) or someone who comes near me and want me to lend my vita for him to play the game.

"those sound effects" , crazy this effect

ShinMaruku

Katsuragi in frantic mode is awesome I just run in and use her level 2 and bam other girl outcold if I land it with her in the center of it.

Yasumi

Banned
Got my SK2 Nyuu Nyuu Pack today. I'm probably going to keep it sealed until I obtain a used JP 3DS. Soundtrack is awesome though.
B1TYb61IIAAtii6.jpg:large

SerTapTap

Got my SK2 Nyuu Nyuu Pack today. I'm probably going to keep it sealed until I obtain a used JP 3DS. Soundtrack is awesome though.
B1TYb61IIAAtii6.jpg:large

Which shipping option? I picked registered air packet or something, the cheapest one that's registered

Katsuragi in frantic mode is awesome I just run in and use her level 2 and bam other girl outcold if I land it with her in the center of it.

To be fair basically all characters are capable of 1-2 hit KOs in frantic with a level 2

Yasumi

Banned
Which shipping option? I picked registered air packet or something, the cheapest one that's registered
I went with EMS, the most expensive. As a collector (and maybe slightly OCD), I usually feel like the longer it's floating around in the postal system, the more chances it has to get bashed up.

To be fair basically all characters are capable of 1-2 hit KOs in frantic with a level 2

If you choose that option it could take a little while. I pretty much always use EMS when I order on AmiAmi but then again I have little patience when I want my goodies.

Hoping my copy ships out next week with the rest of my October order.

SerTapTap

It's a random detail but I really like the shape of Ryobi's eyes.

Finally going to finish up these side stories and the crimson squad.

Think I'll hold off on all the DLC. Are the 2 characters the only gameplay ones?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, everything else is costume-related. Each character gives you bonus costumes, shinovi outfits, & lingerie, along with their own character stories (no trophies for beating them, though).

SerTapTap

Please tell me Yomi undergoes character development and stops being the biggest stick in the mud on the planet. I heard people actually like her and am very confused. Unless they share her appreciation for bean sprouts.

Top Bottom