• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II |OT| I Can Fix Her

midnightAI

All flash no substance. At all.
Yeh, pretty much, but that's totally expected

What I didn't like was that this actually felt less than the original to me (other than graphics and audio of course), now whether that's because this is more of a 'we've seen this all before' situation I don't know. I enjoyed the original for what it was, this one was harder to enjoy even with all the pretty graphics. All my time playing the game I wished it was something different with the same graphic quality (I understand that's on me)

One thing I cant complain about though is length, if it was longer I think it would actually be worse. Its also very much a one and done game, I won't play through it again even with it's short runtime, unlike Heavenly Sword which I must have played through about 30 times (different games I know, just brought it up because same developer, similar game length)

Anyway, MS, you need to hold onto these guys, just have them make something else, they'd be good at a God of War type game I think set in the same universe.

Last edited:

Roberts

It is kind of crazy that the best looking game in the world right now also is a game that has just about zero mainstream appeal. It is a gaming equivalent of a nasty, grim European art-house genre film. It is more Valhalla Rising or The Northman than, i don't know, Vikings. And I absolutely love that. It doesn't try to please you or entertain you so much that I really wish there was some sort of difficulty slider than takes away hints (voices telling what to do, white paint on climbable stuff).

Yeah, also the best use of 30fps.

Last edited:
How are people setting the auido options on Series X? If I have Atmos enabled then ideally I should be selecting the Home Cinema option in the game setting but does that then affect the binaural sound they have for the game?

welshrat

Is this game worth me downloading ? I had been waiting for it on PC but then hear the whispering is really annoying and the fighting worse than the first. I tried to play the first twice and really didn't get on with it so I am guessing this isn't worth my time ?

Last edited:

Zheph

Is this game worth me downloading ? I had been waiting for it on PC but then hear the whispering is really annoying and the fighting worse than the first. I tried to play the first twice and really didn't get on with it so I am guessing this isn't worth my time ?
Probably not in your case except if you want to check the graphical showcase

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
fighting worse than the first
lol-jordan.gif

Beechos

Prob not worth your time then it's basically more of the same with really shiny new gfx.

Kenpachii

Quit watching it on twitch, the whispering is beyond annoying.

Game looks amazing tho thinking about trying it out.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Finishing stage 1 a 2nd time. That scene when the water rushes in under the boat has some seriously crazy audio. The 1st boss fight is really impressive. Was a little bit of a blur the 1st time while learning the controls.

Does this game have any other colors besides black, grey, dark blue and brown? Every single screen shot looks exactly the same as the others
Its probably the best OLED display game ever made because of the use of color and black.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Finishing stage 1 a 2nd time. That scene when the water rushes in under the boat has some seriously crazy audio. The 1st boss fight is really impressive. Was a little bit of a blur the 1st time while learning the controls.

Its probably the best OLED display game ever made because of the use of color and black.
It's up there. Alan Wake 2 was a great oled showcase as well. I love good hdr!

Punished Miku

2nd time through the pacing is almost at movie pacing. At the main chapter 2 fight really quickly. Still not sure what I will rate this. Similar vibes to seeing Avatar 2 in theater and wanting to watch it the next day, only there's some interactivity also. Its like a Quantic Dream game mixed with Hellblade 1.

TrebleShot

Curiosity got the better of me, so got GP for the month at £7.99 better than the £50 and will finish it in a few hours, then cancel.

First time ive done this and feels like I am cheating some how.

M1987

3080 max settings 4k with dlss quality going to net me 60fps you think when I try this tomorrow night?
No,I don't even get that at DLSS balanced with a 3080ti.I'm getting between 50-60fps at balanced,but it seems ok for this type of game

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How are folks gauging what 'chapter' they're in at the moment? There are no chapter markers when playing.

I just finished the pedestal puzzles to clean out the lake.
How far am I ?

Aion002

I just finished.

2nvEHvv.png

I thought I would hate it (like the first one), but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The presentation was excellent and the story and characters were interesting.

As a interactive movie is an 8 out of 10 easily.

However, as a video game it was horrible, simplistic puzzles and combat, combined with zero exploration, customization and player choices.

I think I would have enjoyed more watching a compilation of key parts on youtube than playing it.

Orbital2060

How are people setting the auido options on Series X? If I have Atmos enabled then ideally I should be selecting the Home Cinema option in the game setting but does that then affect the binaural sound they have for the game?
Binaural audio only works through headphones.

I havent played it yet and wonder about the same thing if I play without them; your Atmos may give aome weird results is what Im thinking but I dont know. Id guess there is an audio mix that kicks in if the game detects that the player is not using headphones somehow.

Senua

Gold Member
Only played about the first 2 hours but so far It hasn't grabbed me like the first. The first had a lot of intrigue and wonder at the start, this just feels like more of the same which after such a long wait feels like a disappointment. Maybe I'm too distracted by the incredible visuals

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
DF lost their HB2 save data lol, looks like their video might be delayed (unless it was already recorded)

The main Digital Foundry account is ran by Tom IIRC.

oliQM8m.jpeg

Last edited:

Xdrive05

I’d love to know more about their development process in how exactly they captured/modeled the environments. Because for the first time it really seems like games can now do basically a pixel perfect recreation of a geometrically complex environment down to, say, a 1 inch squared accuracy level. Maybe even smaller than that. With Nanite now they can run it in real time apparently even though the source data is that dense and complex.

This has serious implications for the future of game environments.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
How are folks gauging what 'chapter' they're in at the moment? There are no chapter markers when playing.

I just finished the pedestal puzzles to clean out the lake.
How far am I ?

About halfway.

You can gauge how far you are by how many symbols are on the trees and lorestone collectibles as you collect them.

J3nga

Just finished it, took me 8h. I'd hardly call this a game, there's very few shallow game mechanics. But as a tech demo it really impresses, for $50 it's a hard pass IMO but if you already own a GP you might like those ~8h you'll spend in the game. Now, it would be absolutely dope to see a proper game with this kind of tech level.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I think I’m heading to the final boss fight right now. Just a hair over five hours. Missing four lorestones and a bunch of the tree collectibles (is that Senua’s mother voicing those?).

Overall it’s good. Some areas are worse than the first imho, some are better. Visuals are just nuts, as are the animations and visceral combat. The combat is worse in some areas but I am fucking glad they changed it to 1 on 1.

Yeah Im taking my time while playing other stuff. A chapter a day so as not to burn out on all the slow walking.
Done the first chapter, it does start with a 30 minute walk from the shipwreck lol. The graphics are sublime. Wow. Banishers Ghost of New Eden uses unreal 5 too but this is like a full gen ahead.
Combat is very simple (playing on hard) but what I do like Is the normal human enemies get one shotted if you get a perfect parry. The first boss battle was amazing to look at, the different animations for parries, blocks and counters at different stages of the battle. Damn.

DanielG165

This is one of the few games where it doesn’t feel like I’m wearing headphones, it simply feels like whatever is happening is in the room with me. The soundscape is that good. This game is heavy too, like I just got through the first village area, and man… They don’t pull any punches here.

Binaural audio only works through headphones.

I havent played it yet and wonder about the same thing if I play without them; your Atmos may give aome weird results is what Im thinking but I dont know. Id guess there is an audio mix that kicks in if the game detects that the player is not using headphones somehow.
Sorry I should have been more specific. I am using headphones. With other games I use headphones, have the Atmos app set up and make sure in game option is set to home cinema. What I wonder with this game is if I use the same set up will I get the best sound? Or should I disable Atmos, go stereo, and set in game to headphones?
I really do wish they would work on these settings for games as there are so many variations and no one way of doing things.

The first two hours or so are completely awful. Pressing up on the analog stick while voices are screaming at you non stop.

If this was just a movie it would be a bad movie. And you can’t call it a game, the combat is QTE tier at best. I think I’d rather it be a true QTE because it would have more mechanics than what we have.

The puzzles are extremely poor, there’s nothing to do in the environments otherwise.

Visuals, despite looking filmic and high fidelity, are covered in obnoxious amounts of blur and post processing and the game seems to be running at a very low resolution

Mortisfacio

Banned
GamePass (PC) has me at 2.3 hours. So far, enjoying it. About an 8/10 for me. The puzzles are a bit bland and obnoxious and is really my only critique so far. I'm hoping the combat improves a bit. The first one was relatively bland, but the final 2 hours or so of the first game was just really well done with pacing and production. This feels like it's starting to move towards that as the story progresses, but will see. I took the day off work so about to fire it up and try to finish it.

Really will come down to pacing. The first I was fond of because while the core gameplay was shallow, everything else was superb and it was short enough to not overstay its welcome of what it did well. I don't think I'd have liked the first if it went on another 10+ hours. It's been my #1 problem with open world games like Horizon or AC: Valhalla. Cool premise, some cool visuals and environments, but the boring gameplay way overstays its welcome as it asks for another 30+ hours of it.

Kenpachii

Performance on a 4080 laptop is pretty brutal.

3440x1440 ultrawide, high setting ( max settings )
- No upscaling, its ~30 fps
- With DLSS quality its around the ~50 fps.
- With DLSS quality and framegen enabled ~75 fps.
- With DLSS balanced + framegen = 85 fps.
- DLSS performance + framegen = 95 fps
- DLSS ultra performance + framegen = ~115 fps.

Game gets saved by dlss and framegen for sure. Game is absolutely stunning, animations are some next level stuff..

Last edited:

Fredrik

Red. BLOOD.

its iceland, what d you expect.

it looks fucking glorious in an OLED. I am a true graphics whore and im in heaven
I have a budget IPS screen, TUF whatever, and it’s still like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I had no idea how much of a graphics whore I really am until now. I don’t even like story games but I’m doing house duties and all I can think of is when I can play/watch this again!
The first real duel (below) was it for me. Sooo cool!
I want a mode with just nonstop fighting, a horde mode of sorts with increased difficulty after each win.
n59WWQK.jpeg

skyfinch

Made it to the caves and that's it for me. This game is boring as shit and I can't see myself even getting to the end. She controls like a damn tank. Climbs up a giant cliff side, in the intro, after surviving a ship wreck but can't even climb a couple rocks during the rest of the game.

And the voices are so annoying as fuck.

Nice graphics but whatever.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Played around 6 hours. I think i only have like an hour left. Definitely the best looking game i've ever seen and its a real HDR showcase. Like you need to play this on OLED. Shame about the "gameplay" tho. I expected similar to the first but goddamn they improved nothing in 7 years. I only recommend this to those who liked the first.
Any good HDR settings for playing on PC? I looks too dark and washed out unless I pick Contrast Enhancer on my Samsung Mini LED

Fredrik

You know .. that actually sounds like a fucking awesome idea.

I don't think they'll do DLC but if they do, an endless combat mode would be fantastic.
Playground made a whole Hotwheels map for FH5, Ninja Theory could definitely do something here as well.
If you have some connections - Pull some strings!
They could do levels by having different type of enemies, sword, axe, fire etc, and different scenery. And a boss every 5 level or something like that.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Playground made a whole Hotwheels map for FH5, Ninja Theory could definitely do something here as well.
If you have some connections - Pull some strings!
They could do levels by having different type of enemies, sword, axe, fire etc, and different scenery. And a boss every 5 level or something like that.
That was my 1st thought after finishing part 1. Not sure we'll ever get it but it seems like an easy way to jump in for a few fights on such a story heavy game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
However, as a video game it was horrible, simplistic puzzles and combat, combined with zero exploration, customization and player choices.
...:messenger_face_steam:

How hard it is to understand that it is not your typical bloated and full of needless fat video game with markers, fetch quest, pointless choices which don't affect anything, pointless levels and numbers, goddamn crafting with inventory management, adjustable difficulty which won't even let you outlevel everything in the game etc. to let you live your power fantasy. I won't name any games, but it is super obvious which games I mean and as it so happens these games are selling millions, while some very niche and much more impressive games get buried under them and criticised for not being yet another brainless pop-corn time waster. Good lord, ugh...:messenger_weary:

ANYWAY....:messenger_expressionless:

Just finished the fight at the Draugar ritual. Jesus Christ almighty. I remember some devs tried to show something similar to make you feel disgusted and scared. First game that comes to mind is of course Tomb Raider 2013. So, Ninja Theory just fuckin' annihilated the whole thing to a point of it being no more than a childs play. I can't even describe just how brutal and realistic the whole leadup to the fight was, with torned and decapitated bodies literally in front of you and at a distance with amazing camera work, lighting and shadows, allowing you to see just enough and not make you throw up and then... then you have to fight your way out of this hellhole.

Holy shit! I haven't played a better game with realistic sword fights than this EVER. It's so fuckin' visceral with blood and sweat and you even could be caught on fire cuz some enemies have torches and they sure love to toast you to crisp, eat you piece by piece, suck your blood and eat your brain. What's also amazing to see is that this shole fight can be played very differently each time you die, with completely new animations, moves, killing blows and stuff like that that it's almost required to die a few times just to see it in action (play the game on Hard people!).

It is so fuckin' incredible how swords clashing and deflecting sounds and feels, how astounding animations and transitions between different fights are. And all of this while you're surrounded with an amazing and thick atmosphere, billions of particles, amazing music under moon's light with dancing lights and shadows from torches and stuff... Eat shiiiiiit, modern God of War!

Fuckin' WOW, Ninja Theory! I thought the first boss fight was incredible but the Draugar ritual is just in the whole other universe. I got so immersed into the whole thing that I wasn't even thinking about making shots and stuff. Hellblade II is fuckin' easily my game of the year, EASILY! Can't even imagine which game can beat it for me this year. DD''2'' was the first candidate until I actually played it some more (~200 hrs) and finished it (almost 2 times).

E4tMDsD.jpeg
sYdSevG.jpeg

2c7C3v9.jpeg
MM4wZsV.jpeg

Cgh6whh.jpeg
yC7JYv5.jpeg

XrNasT6.jpeg
iQS6dcO.jpeg

XyckeS4.jpeg
TdoETQH.jpeg

bt5ufPs.jpeg
NV0lxnt.jpeg

Also, in game models are exactly the same as during cutscenes, the thing is though, you simply can't see all the details (small hair on skin, pores, detailed scars etc, etc. during gameplay) cuz of the very strong DOF effect which blurs all details during cutscenes even, not to mention that to even see them you need to zoom in a lot and the farther the camera is from the character, the worse it gets when it comes to details, cuz they're getting lost. It is the best, the most realistic video game and interactive entertainment ever, period. You can even seen dozens of blood vains in the eyes ffs. The only thing the game lacks really is Pure Hair or even better next gen physics based hair rendering, that's fuckin' it. I honestly cannot believe how well the game runs with all this pure next gen visuals, with zero stutters and all that during extremely heavy and demanging scenes. There's some really fuckin' serious and god tier programming wizards working at Ninja Theory:messenger_fire:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

...:messenger_face_steam:

How hard it is to understand that it is not your typical bloated and full of needless fat video game with markers, fetch quest, pointless choices which don't affect anything, pointless levels and numbers, goddamn crafting with inventory management, adjustable difficulty which won't even let you outlevel everything in the game etc. to let you live your power fantasy. I won't name any games, but it is super obvious which games I mean and as it so happens these games are selling millions, while some very niche and much more impressive games get buried under them and criticised for not being yet another brainless pop-corn time waster. Good lord, ugh...:messenger_weary:

ANYWAY....:messenger_expressionless:

Just finished the fight at the Draugar ritual. Jesus Christ almighty. I remember some devs tried to show something similar to make you feel disgusted and scared. First game that comes to mind is of course Tomb Raider 2013. So, Ninja Theory just fuckin' annihilated the whole thing to a point of it being no more than a childs play. I can't even describe just how brutal and realistic the whole leadup to the fight was, with torned and decapitated bodies literally in front of you and at a distance with amazing camera work, lighting and shadows, allowing you to see just enough and not make you throw up and then... then you have to fight your way out of this hellhole.

Holy shit! I haven't played a better game with realistic sword fights than this EVER. It's so fuckin' visceral with blood and sweat and you even could be caught on fire cuz some enemies have torches and they sure love to toast you to crisp, eat you piece by piece, suck your blood and eat your brain. What's also amazing to see is that this shole fight can be played very differently each time you die, with completely new animations, moves, killing blows and stuff like that that it's almost required to die a few times just to see it in action (play the game on Hard people!).

It is so fuckin' incredible how swords clashing and deflecting sounds and feels, how astounding animations and transitions between different fights are. And all of this while you're surrounded with an amazing and thick atmosphere, billions of particles, amazing music under moon's light with dancing lights and shadows from torches and stuff... Eat shiiiiiit, modern God of War!

Fuckin' WOW, Ninja Theory! I thought the first boss fight was incredible but the Draugar ritual is just in the whole other universe. I got so immersed into the whole thing that I wasn't even thinking about making shots and stuff. Hellblade II is fuckin' easily my game of the year, EASILY! Can't even imagine which game can beat it for me this year. DD''2'' was the first candidate until I actually played it some more (~200 hrs) and finished it (almost 2 times).

E4tMDsD.jpeg
sYdSevG.jpeg

2c7C3v9.jpeg
MM4wZsV.jpeg

Cgh6whh.jpeg
yC7JYv5.jpeg

XrNasT6.jpeg
iQS6dcO.jpeg

XyckeS4.jpeg
TdoETQH.jpeg

bt5ufPs.jpeg
NV0lxnt.jpeg

Also, in game models are exactly the same as during cutscenes, the thing is though, you simply can't see all the details (small hair on skin, pores, detailed scars etc, etc. during gameplay) cuz of the very strong DOF effect which blurs all details during cutscenes even, not to mention that to even see it them you need to zoom in a lot and the farther the came is from the character, the worse it gets when it comes to details, cuz they're getting lost. It is the best, the most realistic video game and interactive entertainment ever, period. You can even seen dozens of blood vains in the eyes ffs. The only thing the game lacks really is Pure Hair or even better next gen physics based hair rendering, that's fuckin' it. I honestly cannot believe how well the game runs with all this pure next gen visuals, with zero stutters and all that during extremely heavy and demanging scenes. There's some really fuckin' serious and god tier programming wizards working at Ninja Theory:messenger_fire:
It just keeps getting better. Love reading your reactions though.

Punished Miku

Tell you what though lads, the black bars are nonsense. Absolutely fucking nonsense.

But it runs beautifully on my Legion Pro 4090. Running on quiet mode, and still getting a solid 60fps.

It’s not a game though.

It’s an interactive experience. And for that, it’s doing a good job.
I honestly dont mind it for a cinematic game like this. Same as watching any 70mm film. The camera positioning is so meticulous I personally wouldnt want to alter the framing of the shots if thats not their intent. But I get why some people feel differently. Definitely rare and unusual for a game.

FunkMiller

I honestly dont mind it for a cinematic game like this. Same as watching any 70mm film. The camera positioning is so meticulous I personally wouldnt want to alter the framing of the shots if thats not their intent. But I get why some people feel differently. Definitely rare and unusual for a game.

Putting my PR cap on, they should have marketed this game vastly differently. They should have heavily leaned into the 'it's an interactive experience' thing. Maybe priced it at about $25 - $30. Sold it as a 'new' form of entertainment that a wide selection of people can enjoy, not just gamers. Make people feel it's more like Game Of Thrones than God Of War. Could have been a massive seller for iCloud on Smart TVs.

Punished Miku

Putting my PR cap on, they should have marketed this game vastly differently. They should have heavily leaned into the 'it's an interactive experience' thing. Maybe priced it at about $25 - $30. Sold it as a 'new' form of entertainment that a wide selection of people can enjoy, not just gamers. Make people feel it's more like Game Of Thrones than God Of War. Could have been a massive seller for iCloud on Smart TVs.
I agree. Could have even shown it to James Cameron or someone to talk about it so that people get it. I dont criticize Xbox marketing like most on here but they missed a chance to explain what this is. Big time. I think the price is fine personally, especially with easy rentals available.

Top Bottom