• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II |OT| I Can Fix Her

Roberts

I honestly dont mind it for a cinematic game like this. Same as watching any 70mm film. The camera positioning is so meticulous I personally wouldnt want to alter the framing of the shots if thats not their intent. But I get why some people feel differently. Definitely rare and unusual for a game.
Yeah, games have imitated movies for a long time anyway, I don't see a reason why developers can't experiment with aspect ratios to create a certain visual look that goes hand in hand with the story, tone and themes. A game set in a claustrophobic, eerie prison? Go for the 1.37:1 academy ratio to drive home that stuck in the fish tank feel. Why not? Here we have those wide, but isolated, lonely vistas for Senua to get lost in and the scope aspect ratio fits like a glove.

Roberts

I agree. Could have even shown it to James Cameron or someone to talk about it so that people get it. I dont criticize Xbox marketing like most on here but they missed a chance to explain what this is. Big time. I think the price is fine personally, especially with easy rentals available.
This is a great point and definitely a missed opportunity. I don't need an explanation myself as I always understand the reasoning behind aspect ratio choices but it looks like a lot of gamers don't, so a 2 minute video with, let's say, Ninja Theory buddy Alex Garland would have been great.

Aion002

...:messenger_face_steam:

How hard it is to understand that it is not your typical bloated and full of needless fat video game with markers, fetch quest, pointless choices which don't affect anything, pointless levels and numbers, goddamn crafting with inventory management, adjustable difficulty which won't even let you outlevel everything in the game etc. to let you live your power fantasy. I won't name any games, but it is super obvious which games I mean and as it so happens these games are selling millions, while some very niche and much more impressive games get buried under them and criticised for not being yet another brainless pop-corn time waster. Good lord, ugh...:messenger_weary:
I understand what you mean... But for me a good game has to have some type of good gameplay in it.

It's basically the same thing that happened with The Order 1886, I enjoyed the story and the graphics, but everything else was just subpar.

If on this game the puzzles were entertaining or the combat was fun, I would definitely enjoy it a lot more.

For example: A Plague Tale: Innocence, which is quite similar to Hellblade 2, (focused on the story and characters) isn't bloated (unfortunately the sequel kinda is) and it has some entertaining gameplay.

I honestly think that if Hellblade 2 simply had better puzzles I would end up enjoying it a lot more.

Orbital2060

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am using headphones. With other games I use headphones, have the Atmos app set up and make sure in game option is set to home cinema. What I wonder with this game is if I use the same set up will I get the best sound? Or should I disable Atmos, go stereo, and set in game to headphones?
I really do wish they would work on these settings for games as there are so many variations and no one way of doing things.
Yeah I think you have to change the headphones driver in audio settings back to the default option when playing this.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If on this game the puzzles were entertaining or the combat was fun, I would definitely enjoy it a lot more.
I honestly just can't comprehend how can someone not like the combat in Hellblade II. It's like we've played completely different games.

For example: A Plague Tale: Innocence, which is quite similar to Hellblade 2, (focused on the story and characters) isn't bloated (unfortunately the sequel kinda is) and it has some entertaining gameplay.
Kinda bad example. I mean, even though A Plague Tale's sequel is better in almost every way, both games are... hmm, how should I say it without insulting these games cuz I love them to death... 🤔

Well, they're just not great when it comes to gameplay, gameplay mechanics and combat and it's definitely no the best part of these games, the first game especially. They sort of made the sequel better, but at the same time not enough to completely fix gameplay and make it as good as everything else. We'll see what they'll do with the next game which is in development for at least 1.5 years already.

There's just no game like Hellblade to make a comparison, just like there's no game like Dragon's Dogma even after ~13 years and release of 2 games.

I honestly think that if Hellblade 2 simply had better puzzles I would end up enjoying it a lot more.
The puzzles in the game are way different than in any other game with puzzles. They're basically very simple environmental puzzles mixed with mysticism and in a game like this there's no need for RE or Myst-like "kill your brain or become an Einstein" kind of puzzles. There's also lore totems in the game and two of them in fact while the first game had only one and you need to find them. I mean, they did what must be done in the most elegant and organic way possible without wasting a lot of your time.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Finished the game for a 2nd time, and got all collectibles. My score is 10/10. Every concern I had melted away on 2nd playthrough and I actually ended up liking it even more, noticing more subtle artistic touches and grasping the pacing and story much better on my 2nd run. It may not be a completely perfect game in every way but I think its close, and its got several elements of artistic genius. Nearly perfect cinematography, perfect audio, nearly perfect acting, best graphics in a game ever, movie level fight choreography paced in the levels well like a film. This hit me as hard as seeing Avatar 2 but I got to play along. Game is a masterpiece.

Went ahead and bought it to support it. Hope they finish with a part 3 faster than they made 2. And cant wait for Project Mara either. Congrats to Ninja Theory. Will take a major Nintendo release or something else really shocking me to dethrone this as GOTY for me personally, even if it is a borderline new genre / interactive film.

Last edited:
Yeah I think you have to change the headphones driver in audio settings back to the default option when playing this.

Yeah cheers that’s what I’ve ended up going with. As I mentioned I really wish they explained this fully in the game settings.

I started playing this morning, and I was absolutely bored out of my mind. The whole pushing left stick forward thing was absolutely true. However I went back again after awhile and while the gameplay isn't great I'm compelled to push forward just due to everything else that's there.

My question is; I never played the first game as I heard the combat was both hard and shit. Is it worth going back to the first one? Or just watch a recap (the recap in the new game is just audio and not very engaging)?

I have a lot of games that I want to play as well so it would put multiple other games on the back burner for awhile if I do.

Tomeru

Finished the game for a 2nd time, and got all collectibles. My score is 10/10. Every concern I had melted away on 2nd playthrough and I actually ended up liking it even more, noticing more subtle artistic touches and grasping the pacing and story much better on my 2nd run. It may not be a completely perfect game in every way but I think its close, and its got several elements of artistic genius. Nearly perfect cinematography, perfect audio, nearly perfect acting, best graphics in a game ever, movie level fight choreography paced in the levels well like a film. This hit me as hard as seeing Avatar 2 but I got to play along. Game is a masterpiece.

Went ahead and bought it to support it. Hope they finish with a part 3 faster than they made 2. And cant wait for Project Mara either. Congrats to Ninja Theory. Will take a major Nintendo release or something else really shocking me to dethrone this as GOTY for me personally, even if it is a borderline new genre / interactive film.

Last edited:

J3nga

I can't help myself but to imagine God of War with this level of visuals, mocap, fight choreography etc. :messenger_grimmacing_ Also probably would take million of years to develop.

Fredrik

Tell you what though lads, the black bars are nonsense. Absolutely fucking nonsense.

But it runs beautifully on my Legion Pro 4090. Running on quiet mode, and still getting a solid 60fps.

It’s not a game though.

It’s an interactive experience. And for that, it’s doing a good job.
Yeah I agree that it’s more like an interactive movie. But for me it might be the first game to actually pull that off. The realistic graphics and gazillion motion capture animations and no UI and even the black bars all remove the gamey feeling and makes it feel like it’s all a cutscene.
It just don’t look or play like a typical Game™.

Can’t say yet if I think this is good or bad. My mind tells me I suddenly need to act like with movies and finish it first before I can rate it. And maybe prepare and pop some popcorn for the next session! 🍿

So far (4.5h) it has exceeded my expectations in many ways but also stumbled badly in other ways. Right now I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to keep the same boring matching figures puzzles. The stone puzzles are better but the movement is too slow so they’re still mostly annoying.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I started playing this morning, and I was absolutely bored out of my mind. The whole pushing left stick forward thing was absolutely true. However I went back again after awhile and while the gameplay isn't great I'm compelled to push forward just due to everything else that's there.

My question is; I never played the first game as I heard the combat was both hard and shit. Is it worth going back to the first one? Or just watch a recap (the recap in the new game is just audio and not very engaging)?

I have a lot of games that I want to play as well so it would put multiple other games on the back burner for awhile if I do.
I liked the first game. It isn’t long.

I have been shitting on this game for a while but even I plan to try to give it the 5.5 hours to beat it one one sitting this week.

Yes you’re playing a true walking simulator. You’re here for graphics, audio, and an alright story.

Some would argue you can just watch videos of this and it’s the same experience. I don’t agree with that and I again, think this game is retarded.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

So far from what I've played, not a lot of things from the first game have come up, at least not in the sense that I think someone would be lost if they didn't know it.

You might have heard Dillion's name or Senua's father being brought up, those two things are covered in the first.

kzFcuEN.jpeg

The duality of man.

Romulus

Yeah I agree that it’s more like an interactive movie. But for me it might be the first game to actually pull that off. The realistic graphics and gazillion motion capture animations and no UI and even the black bars all remove the gamey feeling and makes it feel like it’s all a cutscene.
It just don’t look or play like a typical Game™.

Can’t say yet if I think this is good or bad. My mind tells me I suddenly need to act like with movies and finish it first before I can rate it. And maybe prepare and pop some popcorn for the next session! 🍿

So far (4.5h) it has exceeded my expectations in many ways but also stumbled badly in other ways. Right now I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to keep the same boring matching figures puzzles. The stone puzzles are better but the movement is too slow so they’re still mostly annoying.

Yeah its actually selling me on the interactive movie angle. I'm not okay with that for the majority of my games but for the first time its actually realistic enough to fool most times, whereas most games just pull me out of the experience. Thinking of trying it in VR.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished the second chapter. The voices in your head remind me of Fi from Skyward Sword, only if Fi had blown out her voice screaming at a week long music festival and had recently binge watched The Shinning on Loop. I also can't help but to think how much I loath the trend that Dear Esther started in gaming. I'm also impressed we got ledge shimmying, back crawling, and small gap squeezing in a game and it isn't being used to mask loading assets but rather, it seems, to show off the its' visuals. There isn't much to the combat and the mirror further trivializes nor is there penalty for failure, should you somehow manage to fail. I don't think we should knock a games runtime, rather the opposite, we should embrace the lack of bloat and that works equally well for good games and bad as we can happily find the time to relive the experience or be glad that it didn't take long to experience it in the first place.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Done.

ILNQgk0.jpeg

Since I haven't read a single review and avoided any discussion about it online, here is a somewhat long-form spout in no way affected by anyone else's opinion, shortly after rolling credits.

Still love that feeling jumping in blind knowing nothing about the game, for better or worse.

Let's start with the better.

It is possibly the best-looking game ever on the console. I really envy fellow masterracers playing this on higher fps, jaw on the floor and a true in-game showcase of UE5. All characters looking fantastic, animation work to match. Environment detail is just mind-blowing, I spent a lot of time just checking out random rocks as weird as it sounds. The lighting, volumetric effects, just crazy good. While I did notice a minuscule pop-in on grass at long range, the game looks like it's really running at full LOD at all times, it's the biggest nanite flex I've ever seen on console and worth using the term next-gen as compared to a modern-day average.

Combat is visually spectacular but offers no challenge. Just as in the first game is much deeper than I feel most people will care to engage with. Animation cancels, interrupts, dodges, cancels to parry... enemies dodge and parry too and there is jus a whole layer of action-reaction type gameplay to it adding a lot more depth. But then, why would anyone care - Senua can survive a million blows with a battle axe to the face and kinda self-revive when dropped, it's so forgiving you can just tank hits and kill everything including the final boss just by mashing x. I played on hard and I died once just to see how it looks like. Enemies queueing is done with a number of smart and flashy ways so the issue with just facing one one-on-one is no issue at all but rather a plus. In Hellblade1, soft lock-on, and positioning while getting surrounded sucked, and combat was usually a case of juggling fast attacks with heavy interrupts and saving focus for when you're in trouble. Here I feel it's more about just landing a number of relatively ineffective random hits to charge focus, delete the enemy with it and move on to the next. So in ways it has actually less depth than the first game, shockingly enough. While we're at the first game - had a very powerful feeling parry, with nice slo-mo animation moment of actually parrying the attack to stun. Now there is just a ton of different parrys, but they're more like clinch moments all throwing enemy off balance and somehow neither as satisfying IMO. But then again - animation work is next level and what comes out looks like choreographed CGI at times, the end result just looks incredible. No dismemberment - even tho some animations look like shot wth it in mind. Some bigger battles on chapter select after completing the campaign and the game is worth playing for those alone.

Now for the puzzles - pattern recognition ones return and are still pretty cool. The new ones are utter shit and actually worse than the first game at its worst. Maybe I've had some expectations up there, but after reading about game being all about messing with your perception I expected a lot of development in "angle reconstruction" and/or stuff like optical illusions and playing with perspective. Like that face-to-path swap? Now that's an idea for a system! Sorry that face trick is a collectible repeated 17 times and there is nothing else in the game like it, what we get tho is zooming on shiny levitating balls to swap some parts of geometry in mini labirynths of switches, something that also makes no sense for the psychosis layer.

Game is full slow walking and talking, with NPCs and/or with yourself, more on that later. I have no issues with a lot of that, I love walking sims and played them all. Hellblade is literally a walking sim with banger flashy combat. And while the environments look insane, a lot of those are wide open spaces with some of the most egregious invisible walls of recent. There is a cave level halfway through which, while it's a dope looking cave - It combines some of the worst bits of the overall design which is where I started to question the sanity of the dev team behind it.

But then there are other moments that just scream videogames are art and some truly epic setpieces like nothing else on the xbox.

Now about the talking. While the furys never bothered me in the first game, there were moments here where I just begged them to shut up. Somehow despite all its sounds design prowess the game features schoolbook mixing and arranging fuckups, where many scenes have overlapping dialogue between Senua and NPC and furys simultaneously commenting on it. With our natural amplitude perception of hard-panned sources vs centered image of dialogue, the fury voices level comes across as way too loud and overpowering, clashing with NPC conversations making them unintelligible, which harms the narrative. That is unless you play with subtitles which I hate and just refuse to use full stop, especially in a game with no hud overlay. The game urgently needs separate fury voice control in the settings, dropping it by a few levels would be a big improvement.

I'm not gonna comment on the story just yet but I also have some gripes with it. I think it's ok, but nowhere near as ok as the first game.

I'm super torn on this. While there is just tons to love and I don't really hate what other will certainly hate about it (movie game bad blah blah) - it's amazing, it's the new benchmark in-game visuals and it's also kinda shit in places I did not expect. It's a must-play unless you're team ADHD, just not as good as I hoped it will be.

7/10

Last edited:

adamsapple

Holy shit, the Ingunn boss segment.

The movements tied to the music and the things happening around you. Love the detail of all the sand on the ground rapidly shifting.

Hell of a set-piece.

zgk0GJH.png

Last edited:

RPS37

Call me insane, but I recently uninstalled the Plague Tale games because I knew I’d never finish them.
Yet I’m pretty excited to play this gorgeous walking si.m.

adamsapple

Call me insane, but I recently uninstalled the Plague Tale games because I knew I’d never finish them.
Yet I’m pretty excited to play this gorgeous walking si.m.

I would suggest give Requiem another shot as well, that too is a great game. A very depressing one, but great.

...:messenger_face_steam:

How hard it is to understand that it is not your typical bloated and full of needless fat video game with markers, fetch quest, pointless choices which don't affect anything, pointless levels and numbers, goddamn crafting with inventory management, adjustable difficulty which won't even let you outlevel everything in the game etc. to let you live your power fantasy. I won't name any games, but it is super obvious which games I mean and as it so happens these games are selling millions, while some very niche and much more impressive games get buried under them and criticised for not being yet another brainless pop-corn time waster. Good lord, ugh...:messenger_weary:

ANYWAY....:messenger_expressionless:

Just finished the fight at the Draugar ritual. Jesus Christ almighty. I remember some devs tried to show something similar to make you feel disgusted and scared. First game that comes to mind is of course Tomb Raider 2013. So, Ninja Theory just fuckin' annihilated the whole thing to a point of it being no more than a childs play. I can't even describe just how brutal and realistic the whole leadup to the fight was, with torned and decapitated bodies literally in front of you and at a distance with amazing camera work, lighting and shadows, allowing you to see just enough and not make you throw up and then... then you have to fight your way out of this hellhole.

Holy shit! I haven't played a better game with realistic sword fights than this EVER. It's so fuckin' visceral with blood and sweat and you even could be caught on fire cuz some enemies have torches and they sure love to toast you to crisp, eat you piece by piece, suck your blood and eat your brain. What's also amazing to see is that this shole fight can be played very differently each time you die, with completely new animations, moves, killing blows and stuff like that that it's almost required to die a few times just to see it in action (play the game on Hard people!).

It is so fuckin' incredible how swords clashing and deflecting sounds and feels, how astounding animations and transitions between different fights are. And all of this while you're surrounded with an amazing and thick atmosphere, billions of particles, amazing music under moon's light with dancing lights and shadows from torches and stuff... Eat shiiiiiit, modern God of War!

Fuckin' WOW, Ninja Theory! I thought the first boss fight was incredible but the Draugar ritual is just in the whole other universe. I got so immersed into the whole thing that I wasn't even thinking about making shots and stuff. Hellblade II is fuckin' easily my game of the year, EASILY! Can't even imagine which game can beat it for me this year. DD''2'' was the first candidate until I actually played it some more (~200 hrs) and finished it (almost 2 times).

E4tMDsD.jpeg
sYdSevG.jpeg

2c7C3v9.jpeg
MM4wZsV.jpeg

Cgh6whh.jpeg
yC7JYv5.jpeg

XrNasT6.jpeg
iQS6dcO.jpeg

XyckeS4.jpeg
TdoETQH.jpeg

bt5ufPs.jpeg
NV0lxnt.jpeg

Also, in game models are exactly the same as during cutscenes, the thing is though, you simply can't see all the details (small hair on skin, pores, detailed scars etc, etc. during gameplay) cuz of the very strong DOF effect which blurs all details during cutscenes even, not to mention that to even see them you need to zoom in a lot and the farther the camera is from the character, the worse it gets when it comes to details, cuz they're getting lost. It is the best, the most realistic video game and interactive entertainment ever, period. You can even seen dozens of blood vains in the eyes ffs. The only thing the game lacks really is Pure Hair or even better next gen physics based hair rendering, that's fuckin' it. I honestly cannot believe how well the game runs with all this pure next gen visuals, with zero stutters and all that during extremely heavy and demanging scenes. There's some really fuckin' serious and god tier programming wizards working at Ninja Theory:messenger_fire:
I saw a video with the fire/lava effect - I don’t think it’s quite on par with the rest of the visuals. But games are way behind in that regard. It’d be awesome if they used some sort of actual fluid sim for the fx

adamsapple

I still haven't had that big fight at the beach that they showed in the trailer a couple of years ago. Wondering if that's the final boss or something.

Ceadeus

God damn guys, WHAT A GAME

I'm blown away. The atmosphere and dolby atmos sound submerge you into a truly nightmarish adventure. The last fight I was in almost made me emotional. The cinematography and choreography when fighting is so effective and Senua's scream visceral. The game is like a very good book where you just want to keep reading but never want it to end.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I saw a video with the fire/lava effect - I don’t think it’s quite on par with the rest of the visuals. But games are way behind in that regard. It’d be awesome if they used some sort of actual fluid sim for the fx
Well yeah. I'm not saying that fire effects are next gen, it's pretty much more or less the same as in many other modern AA, AAA and B games. I'm saying that what they did is extremely effectinve in creating thiсk, encapsulative and emmersive atmosphere, feeling of dread, fear and danger:messenger_relieved:

The thing is though, even this level of quality can destroy FPS cuz of alpha transparency and stuff - which is still insanely hard for GPUs to handle and especially at close range, so imagine what actual physics based fire fluid simulation can do to the GPU. We're still not there yet, but look at all those cloth physics and physics effects in general, they're almost in all AA and even B games now and GPUs just effortlessly rendering all this with great performance and barely any performance cost, while if you remember, when this physics based cloth and class rendering was first introduced in Mirror's Edge.... it was an effin' slide show. Then Batman Arkham Asylum came out with steam and debri physics and not that long after snow deformation in Arkham Origins, physics based rain and even more impressive cloth physics in Arkham Knight and so on (there's more games with physics, but these are just the most notable ones). It's logical step forwar for video games to have physics based fire, water, other kinds of fluid and stuff, but it takes time and hardware needs to be there to handle it. Mirror's Edge was released 16 years ago, so... maybe in the next decade or so we'll see some slide show? I mean, we have to start with that at least:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Well yeah. I'm not saying that fire effects are next gen, it's pretty much more or less the same as in many other modern AA, AAA and B games. I'm saying that what they did is extremely effectinve in creating thiсk, encapsulative and emmersive atmosphere, feeling of dread, fear and danger:messenger_relieved:

The thing is though, even this level of quality can destroy FPS cuz of alpha transparency and stuff - which is still insanely hard for GPUs to handle and especially at close range, so imagine what actual physics based fire fluid simulation can do to the GPU. We're still not there yet, but look at all those cloth physics and physics effects in general, they're almost in all AA and even B games now and GPUs just effortlessly rendering all this with great performance and barely any performance cost, while if you remember, when this physics based cloth and class rendering was first introduced in Mirror's Edge.... it was an effin' slide show. Then Batman Arkham Asylum came out with steam and debri physics and not that long after snow deformation in Arkham Origins, physics based rain and even more impressive cloth physics in Arkham Knight and so on (there's more games with physics, but these are just the most notable ones). It's logical step forwar for video games to have physics based fire, water, other kinds of fluid and stuff, but it takes time and hardware needs to be there to handle it. Mirror's Edge was released 16 years ago, so... maybe in the next decade or so we'll see some slide show? I mean, we have to start with that at least:messenger_tears_of_joy:
I just watched more of the walkthrough, there are moments where it seems to be using some type of fluid sim, or something very basic that mirrors a sim with certain parts of the water, and the fire on the giant - but it may be pre-rendered in some way. I hear GTA6 is going to have an actual fluid sim but who knows

Roberts

So, I was a bit on the fence on which game is better: Hellblade 1 or 2, but then I got to the Draugr camp at night and the whole set-piece just kicked my ass so much that it wasn't even a question anymore. And it gets better from there. It is OK not to like the game and not feel the vibes but to be snarky about it not having typical gameplay is silly and totally missing the point. There is stuff in this I have never experienced in a video game and that is already an achievement.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
So I finished. As what you'd expect out of a game, I think I'd give it an 8/10, but acknowledging beforehand that the game was going to be a lot of scripted scenes and cutscenes and the overall experience I'd give a 9/10.

Absolutely amazing experience. Visual and sound is the best I've ever seen and heard in a game (I played with headphones the whole time). The game was long enough to stretch out story concept, but short enough to not overstay its welcome as it lacks in combat and bland puzzles. The combat is all very scripted 1v1, but it's gritty and enjoyable. It's not floaty like the Witcher or quite as weighty as a From game and only really need to block/evade on harder difficulty, but it's serviceable, gritty and didn't grow old on me as the game was short enough. People will hate it, many that will never actually play it, but for what this game is... wow.

d1AYcIZ.png

vyYjU4B.png

0obxl5g.png

QOddRD5.png

To those that are OK with cinematic games, this is simply amazing. Great work Ninja Theory.

I got to and finished the hidden world level last night and thought it was brilliant, with the headphones and claustrophobic camera angles was quite scary and made me jump a couple of times. The combat with the zombie type dudes was fun too and just the right amount to break up the simple puzzles.
Game is really good.
It's too late though the negative social media crowed had got it's claws in and everything I see about the game is negativity now.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Enjoying this alone, it started well, but then it just starts batting it out of the stadium at consistent rate when you get into the cave. I'm more into Japanese games and not too much into western cinematic games but this franchise and A Plague Tale are the two I really like a lot, simple gameplay, story focus (and ones I really enjoy, specially A Plague Tale) and great graphics are great sometimes.

BTW graphics on this one are too blurry for some reason, so what I did was to run the game with TSR 100% 1440p, disabled VRS and frame rate to 48 with Riva tuner, amazing and smooth experience so far, I'm definitely playing these cinematic games at 48p capped at most, it feels like the 24 fps from movies visually, and input lag is great. The reason for it being 48 is because it's my TV refresh rate divided by 3 so it's very smooth visually.

The game reminds me a lot of Resident Evil 3 Remake in that the fundamentals were there but there just isn't enough of it. Another hour of gameplay, an extra puzzle or two, another set piece like the village ritual and maybe a little more freedom for exploration in some areas and the game would been a lot better. I hope they release DLC but I doubt it

Fredrik

When you accidently press the photo mode button during a cutscene and realize it’s all in-engine 🤯
ccyoF2F.jpeg

The visuals are nuts. It’s really just a shame that it’s so incredibly slow when there is no combat or other cool things happening. Makes RDR2 feel like a blistering fast and snappy action game.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

I want a piece of gear that takes advantage of this. I am looking toward a display and auditory experience paring that is literally the best I have ever had.
My budget is only 2 grand, tho.

Mortisfacio

Banned
It's fucking insane, you have complete camera / focal control over all the scenes, shows that it's all real-time, no pre-rendered video shenanigans.

M66GHwu.png

This scene in particular is peak. She looks SO good. I was going around in the photo mode spinning around her just taking in awe how visually impressive the character model is.

Also just before this, when all the hands are reaching out to her, was amusing going through that in photo mode to realize all the hands are actually just dozens of floating arms stacked on each other.

Zuzu

Just finished it on the Series X. I played it over 3 days and my time played is 11hrs and 3 minutes, so quite a bit longer than what other people are getting. I did leave the game running on pause a few times to go do other things in other parts of the house and to do things in the kitchen so maybe you can take 2-3 hours off that play time but still 8-9hrs is a decent length. Some of the puzzles took me a little while to complete, so maybe I’m just slow.

Anyway, it’s unbelievable what they achieved with the graphics in the game. There’s nothing else that comes close right now graphically I don’t think. I didn’t like the puzzles but I did enjoy the combat in the 2nd half of the game. Yeah it’s simple but the animation made it entertaining to watch and to parry and swing your sword. The world design and cinematography is amazing and really immersive. I didn’t really like the story though it gets better as it goes along. It would’ve been better if it was 30-45mins longer to flesh out the ending better. And one of the story themes that is brought up at the end should’ve been more fully built upon in the beginning and middle parts of the story. I also think the internal voices were overdone and were actually annoyingly intrusive in some parts when characters were talking to each other. The various set pieces were well directed and executed.

Definitely worth experiencing if you want to see the current state of the art in game graphics, audio, animation/motion capture and cinematography. Happy to see the Series X delivering such an incredible graphical experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom