• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Serious) Do you ever just get in your emotions and ponder upon your life?

DonJorginho

Banned
Like I am talking about thinking I could have done this differently, or I miss this person in my life, or if only I tried a bit harder in life in certain things, maybe I could be in a better place right now?

Sometimes I just get into this zone myself, normally when listening to a song that shares memories with me on where I used it to support me when I was down.

Only One is the song that makes me feel all kinds of emotions, as I remember hard times in my past, friendships that were broken, relationships that fell apart, chances I didn't take and mistakes I made.

Does anyone else get this kind of emotional epiphany sorta feeling?

Forgive me if this is kinda cringe, just kinda want to know that I'm not alone in this.

DonJorginho

Banned
Daily.

Helps me stay grounded but can be depressing if you use it to feel sorry for yourself instead of being grateful that you overcame it.

What if you do it for both?

It makes me realise how far I have come in certain ways but then my negative emotions come through and kinda remind me of all the good things I could have had if I did this differently.

It doesn't make me feel sorry for myself per say, just like curious of what could have been.

DonJorginho

Banned
Negative. I always think about what could I have done differently and sometimes I'm just downright pissed off at myself because I'm a lazy sob.
If it weren't for my lazyness I could acomplish so much in life.

I am both tbh, sometimes I wish I made different choices with people in my life but other times I realise how far I have come and how I am making a relative success of my life compared to what I was always told I would achieve by people who hated me.

Are your negative emotions money related? Love? Family? In all seriousness if you do ever need someone to talk to I am here brother, my work allows me a lot of free time and if you ever needed support I would be more than welcome to offer it to you man.

I am both tbh, sometimes I wish I made different choices with people in my life but other times I realise how far I have come and how I am making a relative success of my life compared to what I was always told I would achieve by people who hated me.

Are your negative emotions money related? Love? Family? In all seriousness if you do ever need someone to talk to I am here brother, my work allows me a lot of free time and if you ever needed support I would be more than welcome to offer it to you man.
Thanks man. It's a culmination of a lot things. I'm trying to work on it and I see some improvements.

DonJorginho

Banned
Thanks man. It's a culmination of a lot things. I'm trying to work on it and I see some improvements.

Well it sucks to hear that man, but me and many other people are here for you I am certain of that, I have successfully came back from trying to take my life twice to being where I am today, albeit I have my dark days/weeks but they are much fewer and further between compared to 1.5 years ago.

I am always here man, if you just need to talk about something casual to take your mind off shit, or get some advice or support as I said I am always here.

I can assure you that things will get better, that is for certain, everything happens for a reason, no matter how tragic, I learnt that and it has made me more at peace with my mistakes, just sometimes I do ponder about them, which is why I made this thread.

Stay strong and safe brother.

DonJorginho

Banned
you are the right men and women, in the right place, at the right time

the road that could have been in the great quantum continuum isn't worth pondering

That is always what I say to myself (albeit not word for word) after every long retrospective thought I have, just little things seem to trip my mind and bam I am thinking about shit again.

It isn't always negative, alot of it being quite good.

Your words are wise and helpful though brother, and very truthful.

DonJorginho

Banned
I think it's pretty human to have moments of somber reflection. Not that much good comes from it.

All depends what you think about, I can easily think about the good I have done and people I have proven wrong and done better without just as much as I can think about people I lost and mistakes I made.

It is one of the most human things when you think about it, I just get overly paranoid and think why am I overthinking about my past choices so much as there isn't all that much I can do about them, that is part of the sombre nature though for sure.

What if you do it for both?

It makes me realise how far I have come in certain ways but then my negative emotions come through and kinda remind me of all the good things I could have had if I did this differently.

It doesn't make me feel sorry for myself per say, just like curious of what could have been.
I guess I'd call that reminiscing. I sometimes try to remember back to cringey things I did or mistakes I made to put things into perspective (in a good way).

I don't dwell on how things could have been different. Invest that same mental energy into how you can achieve good things now if you do things differently now (where applicable).

Is there anyone you know who *doesn't* do this every day, OP?

Like is this really an uncommon occurrance?

I lie down for an hour or more at night and have my usual existential crisis.

DonJorginho

Banned
I was walking my dog last night, and I walked past the bench me and my ex would always sit on when we would be around that area, and I got emotional, but the thing is I don't like my ex.

The best part of our 3.5 year relationship was emotional abuse and torture which lead me down a bad path mentally and I am happy to be without her and am even with someone now that makes me more happier than I ever was in my last relationship, but it is just the thought of that in those moments, I was happy, even though many times a day now I am happy as can be, it just hits me that life really does move fast.

All depends what you think about, I can easily think about the good I have done and people I have proven wrong and done better without just as much as I can think about people I lost and mistakes I made.

It is one of the most human things when you think about it, I just get overly paranoid and think why am I overthinking about my past choices so much as there isn't all that much I can do about them, that is part of the sombre nature though for sure.

Yes, what is done is done, whether pleasant or painful.

Memory, identification and attachment are the root of suffering. Let go. Live and *be* now.

DonJorginho

Banned
Is there anyone you know who *doesn't* do this every day, OP?

Like is this really an uncommon occurrance?

I lie down for an hour or more at night and have my usual existential crisis.

I think everyone does tbh, it is just I can drive myself so mad about it I think to myself "this can't just be happening to me right?"

DonJorginho

Banned
I guess I'd call that reminiscing. I sometimes try to remember back to cringey things I did or mistakes I made to put things into perspective (in a good way).

I don't dwell on how things could have been different. Invest that same mental energy into how you can achieve good things now if you do things differently now (where applicable).

I do focus a lot of my reminiscing into positive energy tbh just not all the time so I think I need to learn to direct it all into the same place.

Son Tofu

Banned
Aside from money? No. I only ever get into a bad headspace when I'm low on funds. Otherwise I can afford the hookers.

kingbean

Living the life you've got is more important than thinking about what could have and what has happened.

Being able to reflect on those things can be helpful and hurtful. The important thing is to not get bogged down in things you can't change.

Life is in great part, what you make of it. Some people can go with the flow and live the best they can while other's seem to be doomed to swim in their own self image.

Don't be afraid to live in the moment and take in the world around you, it can be a nice place if you let it be.

I know that living in the moment and being okay with life is hard sometimes, but it's better than alternative.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I've done this for years, you know what I learnt.

you cant change the past OP, just make small steps to change your future, you start now, make the change. :) good luck you got this. small steps add up to big results

don't waste your energy living in the past

Last edited:
Yes way too often. As others have already said, for the most part I don't think it does much good. Especially if you're reflecting on a lot of negative things/regrets. It's been a big struggle for me recently to just try and live in the moment. When we get bogged down by all our negative emotions thinking we should have done this or that, need to be like this or that we stop living and merely wait to live, thinking the grass is always greener somewhere else.

What egotistical, ungrateful little minds many of us have.

Top Bottom