• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Severance : New Apple+ show directed by Ben Stiller

Kabelly

It's a fun watch. Reminds me of Westworld in a sense. Which I still enjoy despite some of the flaws in the later seasons.

Pagusas

Elden Member
absolutely amazing finale, one of the best i’ve ever seen. as I said early in the thread; ignore the first episode in terms of writing quality/pacing, it’s just not a good episode, in fact i’d say it’s the worst of the season. everything else is good to absolutely amazing.

I truely how the shop can nail the landing when it comes to wrapping up its mysteries, they’ve put a lot in place and I think i’ve become jaded to soooo many shows like this basically being written as they go with no idea how to make something of the mysteries they introduce. I truely hope they have this planned out and aren’t sitting in a writing room trying to figure out what their mystery actually is.

Fbh

Great finale for season 1.
This is easily one of my new favourite shows in years, haven't been this excited every week for the new episode of a show since the good days of Game of Thrones.

It's great because the hook isn't just the mysteries, it has compelling characters, a great unique and weird style, solid directing and great performances.

And I agree, I really hope the writers have an overall outline of the plot and answers to the mysteries they are setting up. I really hope this doesn't end up crashing and burning like so many other mystery based shows.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I finished episode 2. I am genuinely intrigued as to where this thing is headed. I hope it's not going to get draw out to death and can stay this intriguing. I would prefer normally to wait to watch so I know ahead of time this thing won't wander aimlessly in future seasons. But, so far so good.

I finished episode 2. I am genuinely intrigued as to where this thing is headed. I hope it's not going to get draw out to death and can stay this intriguing. I would prefer normally to wait to watch so I know ahead of time this thing won't wander aimlessly in future seasons. But, so far so good.
On a non-spoilery way, this feels like LOST (a central mystery, with character driven drama), but here based on how the 1st season Ended, and things that were implied, there seems to be an answer to most of the things hinted at. I recommend it fully as I was afraid of them just not doing much with the mystery but it works.

near

Gold Member
Perhaps the most suspenseful finale I've seen in years. The entire season was cut and crafted delicately, to tell a story layered with mystery, only to have it all peeled off in the most satisfying way. An unbelievable set piece that spanned 9 episodes with immaculate pacing and writing that was consistent. I always knew Ben Stiller was a gifted director, but the episodes he directs here are absolutely brilliant. Every shot feels meaning, he manages to capture an emotion with just lighting, environmental details and audio cues alone. If you're looking for a sci-fi thriller then look no further, this is as good as it gets. I'm confident that they know where this story is going, I just fear that they'll be able to execute it as well as they have here, because this was masterclass storytelling.

PSYGN

I guess I have to watch the show to know why anyone would elect to have this procedure done in the first place.

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching this. It's an overall great show that kept me glued to my TV, but the "finale" really took the wind out of the sails for me... because there is no satisfying conclusion to the season. It's just a cliffhanger with no resolution whatsoever. The Boys is how you do cliffhangers right - there were resolutions to the seasonal arcs, and the cliffhanger was the cherry on top to tease the next season. Severance's finale reminds me of how DC Titans first season ended, and how the true 'ending' to the first season was actually the first episode of the second season. It was handled very poorly and I stopped watching shortly after. Hope Severance hasn't made the same mistake... but then again Severance is a significantly better show than Titans so hopefully it'll be fine.

Edit: after reading up on it, it seems it was Ben Stiller's suggestion to end the season right there.
ben stiller while were young GIF by A24

You can thank Ben Stiller, who Erickson says encouraged him to end the season at that moment. Originally, had one more episode planned in order to unpack what the trio found out about their life outside of work at Lumon Industries during their daring out-of-office sorta-heist.

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching this. It's an overall great show that kept me glued to my TV, but the "finale" really took the wind out of the sails for me... because there is no satisfying conclusion to the season. It's just a cliffhanger with no resolution whatsoever. The Boys is how you do cliffhangers right - there were resolutions to the seasonal arcs, and the cliffhanger was the cherry on top to tease the next season. Severance's finale reminds me of how DC Titans first season ended, and how the true 'ending' to the first season was actually the first episode of the second season. It was handled very poorly and I stopped watching shortly after. Hope Severance hasn't made the same mistake... but then again Severance is a significantly better show than Titans so hopefully it'll be fine.

Edit: after reading up on it, it seems it was Ben Stiller's suggestion to end the season right there.
ben stiller while were young GIF by A24
Have to disagree with you here. The way the story unfolded, there were no additional "conclusions" that could have been told in the space of that one episode. To me, the story/characters made significant strides, had strong revelations about what's going on, and the aftermath of said story beats will take another full season (or more) to explore.

there were no additional "conclusions" that could have been told in the space of that one episode.
I bolded the problem here. As stated in the quote I supplied: there was another episode intended to be part of the season in order to wrap things up, but Stiller encouraged the showrunner to end it there instead. That's why it feels incomplete to me - because it felt like there was another episode written but not filmed, and my intuition was correct.

I bolded the problem here. As stated in the quote I supplied: there was another episode intended to be part of the season in order to wrap things up, but Stiller encouraged the showrunner to end it there instead. That's why it feels incomplete to me - because it felt like there was another episode written but not filmed, and my intuition was correct.
I feel like Stiller cut it off for a reason. I imagine the episode in question works better as a season opener rather than a epilogue to season one. Of course we would have to wait till we actually see it.

wondermega

Yeah I was satisfied enough with that ending, I think it was the right decision. Frustrating of course, but they had more than enough going on in that episode (as a final) that even if the show wasn't going to continue, it was good enough for me. I cannot say I will necessarily have enough interest in the.. years? until this returns, but we will see..

ShadowNate

I just finished this the other day and thought it was brilliant. Probably the first really enjoyable series I've watched this year. It's a weird premise with weird characters but it works, it's fun and of course intriguing.

I am looking forward to season two where some drastic changes will have to be made with the premise given where the season concluded. Hopefully, it will be just as good -- and yes, I do hope there's a complete (and well thought out) plan for the main mysteries and they're not just making it up as they go.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I do hope there's a complete (and well thought out) plan for the main mysteries and they're not just making it up as they go.
Yes, I agree. The last thing I want is for this to just drag out endlessly with no real resolution. It's why I hate most TV programs and why I refuse to watch Lost.

Severance has its hooks me. If it disappoints, I might just nix all TV series until they are completely finished.

RaduN

Absolutely a must see.

Is is indeed a slow-burn type, but the final episode is fucking intense. It WILL raise your blood pressure.

whats there to watch on AppleTV+ besides ted lasso?

I browse from time to time and theres nothing that catches my eye.
Servant
Black Bird
Foundation
Prehistoric Planet
Loot
The Morning Show (maybe)
Shining Girls (also maybe)
WeCrashed
The Problem with Jon Stewart
Invasion (maybe, very slow if you are expecting SciFi)
Mythic Quest

I've actually been surprised with how much original stuff I've enjoyed on Apple+ compared to other streaming services.

wondermega

Has this series anything ti do with the 2006 movie?

For All Mankind. It's really great although season 3 is disappointing so far.
Super addicted to For All Mankind. Current season has it's warts compared to 1st two, but still so excellent. Can't wait for the finale next week... That's blown past everything else to become my favorite show in some time (followed by The Boys, I guess)

Well everyone have different tastes that just human nature, but everyone should also know that there is just no current series which is reaching the same level as Better Call Saul. That’s just playing in its own league.

Servant
Black Bird
Foundation
Prehistoric Planet
Loot
The Morning Show (maybe)
Shining Girls (also maybe)
WeCrashed
The Problem with Jon Stewart
Invasion (maybe, very slow if you are expecting SciFi)
Mythic Quest

I've actually been surprised with how much original stuff I've enjoyed on Apple+ compared to other streaming services.
SEE is insanely underrated

bitbydeath

Just finished watching it and loved it.
It’s very similar in genre (Dystopian/Mystery/Thriller) and writing (not story) to what I’m writing, good to see it landing for a lot of people. I haven’t seen another one so similar since Westworld (season 1) arrived.

Roxkis_ii

Yeah, this show is awesome. It's sad how much I relate to the feeling of leaving working and then waking up to get ready for work again. Kinda feel like that for the weekends too sometimes. Such is a the price of responsibilities I suppose.

Another thing that makes this show great and sad is how I can see a company using that Severance technology in real life easily.

I can't wait for season 2 to come out.

Tieno

Just binged on the entire season during the last weeks. I enjoyed it a lot. Fantastic show. The idea of severing a part of your consciousness that would form a new consciousness and could be treated as a sub-human/non-person is absolutely terrifying the more I think about it. It's a fascinating premise because here would be a lot of people and organisatons willingly use it.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just binged on the entire season during the last weeks. I enjoyed it a lot. Fantastic show. The idea of severing a part of your consciousness that would form a new consciousness and could be treated as a sub-human/non-person is absolutely terrifying the more I think about it. It's a fascinating premise because here would be a lot of people and organisatons willingly use it.
I love it too. I just hope they don't drag the plot over and excessive number of seasons.

clarky

Gold Member
FFS, expecting season 2 news with the bump....again.

Glad you guys enjoyed it though it really was the best thing on tv from last year.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I get the point of the show it was good, but it had zero action scenes you’ll lose that crowd, yes fights happen but I need some of the stars to rise and shine in season 2.
Adam Scott Dancing GIF by Apple TV+
Happy Ben Stiller GIF by Apple TV+
Ben Stiller Running GIF by Apple TV+

Top Bottom