• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |OT| The MCU is now Kung-Fu Fighting

nush

But but but the MCU is dead.

It's almost as if you've never seen a Youtube reacts video before.

What's Cinemacon?

"Welcome to CinemaCon,​

the largest and most important gathering of movie theater owners from around the world."

Well they have a vested interest in drumming up trade seeing as the theater business has been in big trouble because of Covid.

I'll reserve judgement of the movie until the normies have seen it.

ManaByte

It's almost as if you've never seen a Youtube reacts video before.

What's Cinemacon?

"Welcome to CinemaCon,​

the largest and most important gathering of movie theater owners from around the world."

Well they have a vested interest in drumming up trade seeing as the theater business has been in big trouble because of Covid.

I'll reserve judgement of the movie until the normies have seen it.
She’s not a theater owner. She’s one of Campea’s crew (he’s seen it three times now).

sol_bad

John Campea mentioned that during Sony's conference at Cinemacon, they mentioned that day and date theatrical/home release is devestating to the industry. Really happy to hear at least Sony hear that.

ManaByte

John Campea mentioned that during Sony's conference at Cinemacon, they mentioned that day and date theatrical/home release is devestating to the industry. Really happy to hear at least Sony hear that.

Dude they only said that because they've fallen behind every other major studio by not building a direct-to-consumer streaming service.

Disney has Disney+/Hulu, WB has HBO Max, Paramount has Paramount+, Universal has Peacock, and MGM is now Amazon Prime Video. Sony is being left behind and it won't be long until shareholders start demanding Vinciquerra's head for not having something to compete with all of that.

sol_bad

Dude they only said that because they've fallen behind every other major studio by not building a direct-to-consumer streaming service.

Disney has Disney+/Hulu, WB has HBO Max, Paramount has Paramount+, Universal has Peacock, and MGM is now Amazon Prime Video. Sony is being left behind and it won't be long until shareholders start demanding Vinciquerra's head for not having something to compete with all of that.

Doesn't matter that they don't have a digital platform, it's true what they say. Look at what movies make at the box office compared to home media.

Compare what a theatrical movie would make prior to COVID to a movie released with a dual release during COVID.
No matter how you look at it, a movie released in a traditional manner prior to COVID is always going to make more money and be better for the movie studio.
Dual release movies are the worse thing ever, even worse when done in an HBO Max manner where they are basically "free" as part of the service. They are cannibalising their potential profits hardcore in that manner.

oagboghi2

It's been great for consumers, but okay,... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

trikster40

Interesting. Look what’s new on Disney+ the same week that Shang Chi comes out: All Hail the King one-shot.

t6G2utQ.jpg

Edit: How do you rotate images you upload directly? Mine always show up sideways even though I took them normal.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Interesting. Look what’s new on Disney+ the same week that Shang Chi comes out: All Hail the King one-shot.

t6G2utQ.jpg

Edit: How do you rotate images you upload directly? Mine always show up sideways even though I took them normal.

It's already been confirmed that Trevor is in Shang-Chi.

He's seen in a Ten Rings prison practicing a monologue. They mention they were going to kill him, but they kept him alive because they liked his performances. So he's basically a court jester to the Mandarin.

sol_bad

Hopefully it does better than the current projections, being 3rd behind Black Widow and Fast 9 in this COVID climate isn't a bad thing though. Hopefully it'll have strong legs too.
And c,mon dude, do you have to mention every little thing about these movies that is rumoured or reported behind the scenes?

Seeing Trevor on screen as a surprise would have been nice.

ManaByte

Hopefully it does better than the current projections, being 3rd behind Black Widow and Fast 9 in this COVID climate isn't a bad thing though. Hopefully it'll have strong legs too.
And c,mon dude, do you have to mention every little thing about these movies that is rumoured or reported behind the scenes?

Seeing Trevor on screen as a surprise would have been nice.

It wasn't rumored or reported behind the scenes. Ben Kingsley was at the fucking Hollywood premiere and they confirmed there that he's in the film.

Hell they even had him doing press for the movie giving interviews about it.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It wasn't rumored or reported behind the scenes. Ben Kingsley was at the fucking Hollywood premiere and they confirmed there that he's in the film.

Hell they even had him doing press for the movie giving interviews about it.

EH
I saw him on the red carpet but no confirmation that he was in the film.

CAB_Life

hVGttdc.jpg

Shang-Chi is going into Fornite tonight. Simu realized "OH SHIT!" and deleted that this morning.
This man is a privileged, attention seeking whore who grew up in Richmond Hill, if I recall (“started from the bottom” just like Drake did). He’s also apparently unaware or blissfully ignorant of the people who actually paved the way for him like Bruce Lee.

Movie could be good, but he’s repellent.

jason10mm

Gold Member
hVGttdc.jpg

Shang-Chi is going into Fornite tonight. Simu realized "OH SHIT!" and deleted that this morning.
I mean, he is not wrong.

But damn if a new skin in fortnite doesn't get my kid all jazzed. A Shang-chi skin would get him asking to see it so it is definitely a good marketing move.

sol_bad

User reviews are starting to roll in now. Looks like it will be positively received.

Wvrs

Watched it on Wednesday. I really enjoyed it but it was brought down a bit for by the end set pieces. I thought the beginning and middle was much more engaging.

Still, best MCU origin since Black Panther.

Last edited:

nush

Screener spoiler clips all over Youtube right now. Judging by the uploaders it seems Chinese Marvel fans actually want to see this.

I found the movie a bit boring and couldn’t really care much about what was being displayed. However, I can see critics liking it.

xandaca

It's OK, the usual Marvel stuff but at least its clichés come from Asian cinema (all kinds of Asian cinema - it's almost funny how it snatches and cobbles together bits from wuxia fantasy, HK gangster movies, Jackie Chan kung-fu, etc.) rather than the MCU formula. Simu Liu is OK, just likeable enough to carry the film (his character is a complete non-entity, however) but Tony Leung is fantastic and really gives weight to his character's torment and motivations, as familiar as they are. Michelle Yeoh barely registers, and how much you like Awkwafina's part will basically depend on how much you can tolerate Awkwafina, as she's doing the same bit she does in everything. Aside from the Asian influences making it a bit more interesting than the usual MCU factory line fare, all the studio flaws are present and correct: CGI visual mess ending, characters quipping non-stop (Leung even tells them to give the jokes a rest at one point, which I appreciated even if the characters ignored it) and the huge number of cameos feel like studio uncertainty as to whether fans would accept the movie/character having a place in the MCU. Long story short, if you like MCU movies, there's no reason you won't love this. If you're indifferent, it's a slight improvement on the usual. If you don't like them, you won't like this. I wrote a short review on my blog (along with reviews of some other summer movies) if anyone's interested, though 95% of it is what I wrote above.

ManaByte

Marvel’s “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” debuted to $8.8 million in Thursday night previews. The impressive number is the second highest preview result of COVID times, just behind the $13.2 million that “Black Widow” pulled in two months ago. It also tops the opening night numbers of recent hits such as “F9” ($7.1 million, en route to $70 million bow) and “A Quiet Place Part II” ($4.8 million, before premiering to $57 million). “Shang-Chi” was expected to open to between $45 million to $50 million at the domestic box office, but that number could climb higher given the sterling preview results.

Toons

This movie has some of the best action scenes of any superhero film.

And it feels very different from other Marvel's film in ways and doesn't forget its roots. Very authentic, has a folklore type of fantasy feel to it. Like if the technology was available this could have been a seminal Asian action film in the 60s and 70s.

I feel bad for anyone who can't enjoy this.

NahaNago

I kind of have mixed feelings on the movie. I enjoyed and thought it was pretty good but it felt like it was missing something. I think the fact that the lead actor was one of the weakest points for being emotional moved might be one of it's problems. His dad is interesting and I kind of really wanted to see and hear about more of his backstory.

I kind of wanted to see how his sister created her own empire as well, although I did find her to be a bit boring. I really don't get the whole chi power thing in the movie. Like I thought only one person could have it. I though only one person could have the power of the dragon and then we see the aunt and some other guy training in chi. For a guy who conquered/lived for a thousand years and was a like an evil boss guy shouldn't his army have been a lot bigger and shouldn't he have had a lot more wealth. Like piles of gold and jade just lying in some vault underneath his mountain.

The earlier parts of the movie where they focused heavily on the fighting scenes were great and really like a lot of folks mentioned felt like jackie chan. I was kind of hoping they would continue with that even when we got to the battle of the rings section. Unfortunately the end battle of the movie was more like a marvel action scene. If they were able to better combine jackie chan like fighting style with marvel epic supernatural battles then that would have been epic.

For those sensitive to the woke. Yes, it is slightly in here and mostly pro feminist I guess. Like all of the male leads whether shang chi or his dad gets whooped by a woman. Fight tons of guys and they win but fight a woman and they lose.

It was kind of weird that her fighting death scene were all just noises. You don't see any of her fight. I kind of have mixed feelings on it. Like if it was a father dying then him getting the crap beat out of him until he dies would have been okay but doing that to a woman is not.

The movie at times did feel like a love letter to kung fu movies at times but the combination of so many different movie I felt kind of weakened it. Like going from a jackie chan skilled fight to a crouching tiger hidden dragon one later on and I'm pretty sure that construction scaffold fight was homage to some martial arts film I can't remember.

I can't remember the music and the last battle seemed a lot bigger in the trailers. I'd give this movie a rating of 8 out of 10. It was a nice little marvel style kung fu movie that does enough right to make it really enjoyable but at times felt like a frankenstein creation with all of the different type of movie elements mixed in.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Was better then Black widow for dam sure. Enjoyed it, kinda felt like an ant man like side thing to the normal marvel movies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This guy does know that Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, and many other Asian films have had superheros right? And invincible just a few months ago? He seems so narrowly focused just on the MCU.

I think he means here in the US. Not in other markets.

And I'm not sure how popular Invincible is with general audiences but if you didn't watch it, you wouldn't know the title character is half Asian. Especially because the artwork doesn't show any Asian features on him.

I thought what he wrote was heartfelt and full of joy. Then again, I like to see the best in things.

Dacon

Banned

And I'm not sure how popular Invincible is with general audiences but if you didn't watch it, you wouldn't know the title character is half Asian. Especially because the artwork doesn't show any Asian features on him.

I thought what he wrote was heartfelt and full of joy. Then again, I like to see the best in things.

Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Donnie yen were wowing audiences in the states long before this guy was gestating in his dad's sack. Many of the characters in their films are exactly what you would call superheroes. Anyone even slightly familiar with Kung Fu cinema knows this.

This dude has been acting like asian leads and actors in America didn't exist before this film for the last 2 weeks.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget Chow Yun Fat. What an Icon.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

He says "The sun rose TODAY to a WORLD where Asian superheroes exist as leads..." kinda sounds like he thinks this is the first time an asian person ever starred in a martial art movie with powers.

Did he have a SINGLE chat with Michelle Yeoh during filming? I mean, that movie won oscars and stuff...in America.

AJUMP23

Enjoyed the movie. Fun. I liked the eastern dragon and that eastern feel the movie had. I would almost say it felt like a eastern kung fu movie in the first half. Then at one point it became the best Final Fantasy movie we will ever get.

Dacon

Banned
He says "The sun rose TODAY to a WORLD where Asian superheroes exist as leads..." kinda sounds like he thinks this is the first time an asian person ever starred in a martial art movie with powers.

Did he have a SINGLE chat with Michelle Yeoh during filming? I mean, that movie won oscars and stuff...in America.

Michelle Yeoh actually starred as a supervillain(she switches sides eventually) in the classic The Heroic Trio, one of my fav over the top movies about asian superheroes defending a city from evil .

Last edited:

nush

Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Donnie yen were wowing audiences in the states long before this guy was gestating in his dad's sack. Many of the characters in their films are exactly what you would call superheroes. Anyone even slightly familiar with Kung Fu cinema knows this.

This dude has been acting like asian leads and actors in America didn't exist before this film for the last 2 weeks.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget Chow Yun Fat. What an Icon.
tumblr_pmrinepwUR1v6w3juo3_500.gifv

3WpO.gif

U7TP4j.gif

nrtQpJn.gif

Simu ain't shit without CGI.

Top Bottom