• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |OT| The MCU is now Kung-Fu Fighting

nush

These dudes were a huge part of my childhood, and the over the top martial arts is why I took to Dragonball so well.

Police Story was my gateway, found it on late night TV as a kid who knew nothing about foreign films other than "I don't want to read words". Absolutely blew me away and then Hard Boiled is the only action film to me that is better than Die hard. Then on to the absolute beauty of Wong Kar-Wai movies.

Shouta

Just got back from Shang-chi. Great film! It need to watch it a second time but I think it's easily my favorite origin film up until this point and in my top third of Marvel films in general. The first two thirds was a wonderful mix of all kinds of Asian cinema. You can really tell the makers of the film knew their stuff and they managed to smoothly integrate all of the elements into this. I particularly loved how they really characterized everyone through their action sequences and styles which could have easily gotten lost in the Marvel aspects. The family aspects of the film worked great too and it hits a lot feels if you've come from a similar background. I loved the accuracy they had to Chinese folkore as well. II think I was the only person in the theater that was super amped when the qilin in shows up in the film, lol. At least, I'm pretty sure it's the qilin. I only know bits of of Mandarin but apparently the script was great from what folks that actually speak it were saying. A lot of cultural nuance to the dialogue that didn't get conveyed in the English subtitles.

Tony Leung fucking killed it in this movie.

I think my only real beef is that I kind of wish we got to spend a little more time with Shang-chi before the story goes into gear. I wanted to get to know the character outside of his backstory a little bit to get a better feel for him. It probably would have dragged the film a little bit though. I was super satisfied with him otherwise. I was also quite surprised that Katy/Awkwafina had a pretty good role in this. I thought she'd be the stupid sidekick but she's hardly that at all.

I think he means here in the US. Not in other markets.

And I'm not sure how popular Invincible is with general audiences but if you didn't watch it, you wouldn't know the title character is half Asian. Especially because the artwork doesn't show any Asian features on him.

I thought what he wrote was heartfelt and full of joy. Then again, I like to see the best in things.

Pretty sure he means Asian comicbook super heroes to the world in general but context is never a thing on the internet.

Also, the main character in Invincible wasn't Asian in the original source material, I think. They switched that up for the animated series since the main character is already black-haired. They gave the mom a bigger part in addition to making her Korean, I believe.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Donnie yen were wowing audiences in the states long before this guy was gestating in his dad's sack. Many of the characters in their films are exactly what you would call superheroes. Anyone even slightly familiar with Kung Fu cinema knows this.

This dude has been acting like asian leads and actors in America didn't exist before this film for the last 2 weeks.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget Chow Yun Fat. What an Icon.

I think you are still missing the point. Majority of Jackie Chan's career has been overseas, nothing to do with Hollywood. And not many of his Hollywood films were box office hits, pretty much just Rush Hour 1 and 2.

This celebration is about a movie made in Hollywood. The very fact that you mention Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen shows that Asian representation is lacking in the west. They aren't even western actors.

There are barely any Asian films made in Hollywood let alone action/comic hero films led by Asians. Off the top of my head there is the Joy Luck Club, Memoirs of a Geisha and more recently The Farewell and Crazy Rich Asians.

I'm not trying to take away from Jackie Chan, Jet Li or Donnie Yen's career because at least 2 of them were big parts of my childhood as well. But surely you can understand the difference between Hollywood made films and Hong Kong made films.

nush

There are barely any Asian films made in Hollywood

Get educated,

Shouta

Get educated,

You do realize that those links hardly refute what he said, right? The first one is just a list of movies from rotten tomatoes and only a fraction of them are about Asian culture or in the vein of Asian cinema. It has Asian actors, sure but sol clearly pointed to what he's talking about with the Joy Luck Club, etc. The second link lists a few that sol mentioned, a few that he didn't, but also a bunch that aren't Hollywood productions (Parasite, Snowpiercer, and, Okja to an extent). That third link only furthers Simu Liu's point. The only superhero mentioned in that article that seriously got lead time was Kato with the rest of the Asian characters being secondary and tertiary characters or villains. A couple of mixed folks getting lead parts are cool but a cultural Asian superhero as lead is basically non-existent in Hollywood. Even Kato was was the sidekick to the Green Hornet.

HoodWinked

just saw the movie, it's quite good. saw it on IMAX the way they use the rings is pretty cool pretty much like they took Kratos' weapons from the old games and the new game and combined them.

one thing that sucks is the trend away from 3D because while watching I noticed extremely high consideration for 3D set pieces and scenes. this movie is probably awesome in 3D but most theaters only have very limited 3D showings at shitty times.

but ya the father son dynamic is great and there's depth to their motives. also it's divergent enough from other marvel films so it feels new and interesting.

GymWolf

LO8V9Pp.jpg
If we have a third world war you americans are fucked.

Dacon

Banned
I think you are still missing the point. Majority of Jackie Chan's career has been overseas, nothing to do with Hollywood. And not many of his Hollywood films were box office hits, pretty much just Rush Hour 1 and 2.

Shanghai Noon, Shanghai Knights, and The Tuxedo, all performed well domestically and globally, enough so that they more than made up for their budget. Many of his chinese films released domestically by hollywood production companies did so as well.

This celebration is about a movie made in Hollywood. The very fact that you mention Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen shows that Asian representation is lacking in the west. They aren't even western actors.

They are actors who work/worked in Hollywood and lived in the states. Didn't realize that originating overseas disqualified them. It's awkwardly picky to decide who counts as representation for Asians using that criteria.
Not to mention you wind up dismissing legends like John Woo, Bruce Lee and Ang Lee, who made massive historical strides for Asians in Hollywood. It's selectively discounting some of the most famous Asian actors GLOBALLY to make a point that doesn't even hold. Daniel Dae Kim is one of my fav actors in western tv but I guess he doesn't count bc he wasn't born in America? Hell your lead in this film was born in China.

How about this then, Justin Lin, James Wan, James Hong, Benedict Wong, John Cho, Lucy Liu, Steven Yuen, Randall Park, Rick Yune, Kal Penn, Brenda Song, Lana Condor, Shay Mitchell, Sandra Oh, Ross Butler, Naomi Scott, Kunal Nayyar, Ki Hong Li, Haliee Steinfeld, Priyanka Chopra, Arden Cho, Chloe Bennet, Vanessa Hudgens, Sung Kang, Mindy Kaling(?) Maggie Q, Will Yun Lee, Kelly Hu, BD Wong, Daniel Wu, Jason Scott Lee, Jamie Chung( one of my favs) Ken Jeong and even Awkwafina's annoying ass was in films before this. These are all Asian American actors and directors in movies, and tv. There's many other child actors, actresses, and directors I'm sure I haven't got to. These are just the ones I can think of from things I've actually seen. Google is right there if you want to find out for yourself.

I mentioned those actors because they had the most impact on my life, that is in no way representative of the presence of Asians in American cinema and suggesting so is absolutely silly.

There are barely any Asian films made in Hollywood let alone action/comic hero films led by Asians. Off the top of my head there is the Joy Luck Club, Memoirs of a Geisha and more recently The Farewell and Crazy Rich Asians.

Letters from Iwo Jima? Anna and the King? Better Luck Tomorrow? The Raid? Dragon the Bruce Lee Story? Mortal Kombat? Harold and Kumar? War? The Corrupter? Romeo Must Die? Always Be My Maybe? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon(it was an international production in which the US took part) To All the Boys I've Loved? Searching? Saving Face? The Debut? Columbus? Mulan? All of these films have Asian actors as the lead, and some of them have a majority Asian cast. There's a ton of action movies made in Hollywood with Asian actors as the led character.

Gran Torino was led by Eastwood but the majority of the film's cast is Hmong and their culture is a huge part of the plot.

I'm not trying to take away from Jackie Chan, Jet Li or Donnie Yen's career because at least 2 of them were big parts of my childhood as well. But surely you can understand the difference between Hollywood made films and Hong Kong made films.

MANY popular Hong Kong action films were distributed by Hollywood to great success in America. Why is American produced cinema taking precedent over the ones made in their own countries and distributed globally? Many of Chan's films made a fuck ton of money globally and somehow Hollywood produced films take precedence? Many International films distributed globally have had a massive impact on American box offices before, why doesn't that matter?

Chan was a household name when I was growing up, films were advertised off his name alone. We really gonna fucking pretend like these guys were small time? That's just plain disrespectful to the path these legends carved through history to make room for Asians in Hollywood to begin with. If it wasn't for them, this fucking movie wouldn't exist, because the character of Shang Chi wouldn't exist.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I don't know anything about the character or comic it's based on, but if he's supposed to be of Chinese origin, the actor in the scene I watched mispronounces his own character's name.

sol_bad

Get educated,

As Shouta Shouta said, those links aren't proving much. A huge majority of that Rottentomatoes list are films no one has ever heard of and have no impact on American culture, and minimal people outside of America would have seen or heard of them. Some of the films even have white actors as the main characters. You have given me a lot of films to check out though if they are available in Australia.

The super hero link proves my point in regards to super heroes.

Dacon Dacon I'm not sure why you are listing off actors names. You were talking about action films, I was talking about action films. And it's very obvious from the 4 films I listed that I'm talking about movies that explore Asian culture that is marketed to a world wide audience and that a world wide audience can enjoy. I never said there was no Asian presence in Hollywood, of course there is.

Shanghai Noon - Budget 55 million - Box office 99 million. Wouldn't cover budget + advertising costs.
Shanghai Knights - Budget 50 million - Box office 88 million. Budget was lowered because the first film didn't perform well, did even worse at the box office.
The Tuxedo - Budget 60 million - Box office 104 million. Wouldn't cover budget + advertising costs.

Rumble in the Bronx did extremely well though, which is why Hollywood was interested in him. In terms of budget / profit, his foreign films generally did better.

Also, Shang Chi was created in 1973, definitely inspired by Bruce Lee. But he predates Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen, so yes he would exist and did exist even without them. And even if those actors didn't exist this film still would have eventually existed with the MCU.

nush

Shanghai Noon - Budget 55 million - Box office 99 million. Wouldn't cover budget + advertising costs.
Shanghai Knights - Budget 50 million - Box office 88 million. Budget was lowered because the first film didn't perform well, did even worse at the box office.
The Tuxedo - Budget 60 million - Box office 104 million. Wouldn't cover budget + advertising costs.

And where the fuck will you be when this movie performs in the lower ranks of the MCU?

giphy.gif

You're constantly threading the needle here.

Dacon

Banned
Dacon Dacon I'm not sure why you are listing off actors names. You were talking about action films, I was talking about action films. And it's very obvious from the 4 films I listed that I'm talking about movies that explore Asian culture that is marketed to a world wide audience and that a world wide audience can enjoy. I never said there was no Asian presence in Hollywood, of course there is.

You literally said that Asians are underrepresented, which is bullshit, and many of the films I listed are majority asian led with a huge cultural presence depicted therein.

Rumble in the Bronx did extremely well though, which is why Hollywood was interested in him. In terms of budget / profit, his foreign films generally did better.

Shanghai Noon, Knights, and Tuxedo all enjoyed great success globally, which I mentioned before. Noon's success and popularity was the reason they decided to make a sequel at all. A film's success isn't dictated by domestic alone, as your buddies at Disney known welll in their desperate attempts to appeal to the Chinese market.

Also, Shang Chi was created in 1973, definitely inspired by Bruce Lee. But he predates Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Donnie Yen, so yes he would exist and did exist even without them. And even if those actors didn't exist this film still would have eventually existed with the MCU.

Bullshit, those actors paved the way for Asian led films in America by making them financially viable. Their influences in Honk Kong cinema are all over this fucking film. The direction the film's taken versus the original comic book depiction is HEAVILY inspired by Hong Kong cinema and the heroes that championed it globally.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
And where the fuck will you be when this movie performs in the lower ranks of the MCU?

giphy.gif

It already beat F9 on opening night? Like stop spreading bullshit and let people enjoy this who have been wanting to see it. I've Been growing up on iron fist comics and kungfu the series for a long time I'm totally stoked to what this movie builds in MCU.

Hope they go the way I think they will with possible emporer shang chi of the 9.

Last edited:

nush

It already beat F9 on opening night? Like stop spreading bullshit and let people enjoy this who have been wanting to see it. Be growing up on iron fist comics, kunfu the series I'm totally stoked to what this movie builds in MCU.

Hope they go the way I think they will with possible emporer shang chi of the 9.

Differing opinions and pragmatism are not bullshit. How about I counter you by saying stop shilling? Spelling and grammar seem to be giving you trouble so I doubt you have the ability to grasp nuance. Ho hum.

Papacheeks

Banned
Differing opinions and pragmatism are not bullshit. How about I counter you by saying stop shilling? Spelling and grammar seem to be giving you trouble so I doubt you have the ability to grasp nuance. Ho hum.

Sorry I'm using my phone which sucks. But my argument still stands. Maybe go see it for yourself?

As a comic book fan of iron fist and some of the story lines they did with Shang-chi in late 90's mid 2000's I'm pumped for what this could lead to.

Last edited:

nush

Maybe go see it for yourself?

I'd love to, but I live in China and for some reason they don't want "The greatest Asian representation superhero movie of all time" released here. Dr Strange, seems like it would be a perfect fit for this market.

LordPezix

This is the second worst marvel movie after Captain Marvel.

Must be an age thing because all the kids in the theater really seemed to enjoy it.

sol_bad

giphy.gif

Cinemas closed in Sydney so I can't see it.

As long as it tracks similar to Ant-Man and Doctor Strange it's ok.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So Brandon Lee in The Crow don't count no more?

This is kinda like how folks totally forgot about Blade when pushing BP.

Short memories.

sol_bad sol_bad whole argument is that it is film about Asian CULTURE... Not just having an Asian lead. Folks like US know The Crow was a comic... Mainstream audience doesn't. And like was mentioned before, it IS the first Hollywood Asian comic book superhero film.

And most didn't forget about Blade. But he was just the lead in a film that had majority white cast except for him, Nbushe Wright and Sana'a Lathan. Then he became the only black character in part 2. Black Panther was the FIRST big budget action superhero film with an entirely black cast and crew. Yes, there were other majority black cast films but they either didn't have the budget or the backing or pedigree.

Red Tails was kinda big budget but it barely had the backing it needed (meaningful advertising) and the story was kinda all over the place (thanks George) and he kept saying "if this doesn't do well, there might never be a big budget all-black cast film again"... Which didn't inspire confidence... Discouraging the audience from coming out.

After Earth was a HUGE disappointment! It starred only Will and Jaden and Jaden couldn't act himself out of a paper bag. The reviews panned it so bad!

Black Panther was the first to have the budget behind it, advertising, crew, cast (who were all great actors) and a brilliant director ... Plus it IS the only big budget afrofuturist mythical superhero movie ... And it is loved by many ... Not just black people.

jason10mm

Gold Member
sol_bad sol_bad whole argument is that it is film about Asian CULTURE... Not just having an Asian lead. Folks like US know The Crow was a comic... Mainstream audience doesn't. And like was mentioned before, it IS the first Hollywood Asian comic book superhero film.

And most didn't forget about Blade. But he was just the lead in a film that had majority white cast except for him, Nbushe Wright and Sana'a Lathan. Then he became the only black character in part 2. Black Panther was the FIRST big budget action superhero film with an entirely black cast and crew. Yes, there were other majority black cast films but they either didn't have the budget or the backing or pedigree.

Red Tails was kinda big budget but it barely had the backing it needed (meaningful advertising) and the story was kinda all over the place (thanks George) and he kept saying "if this doesn't do well, there might never be a big budget all-black cast film again"... Which didn't inspire confidence... Discouraging the audience from coming out.

After Earth was a HUGE disappointment! It starred only Will and Jaden and Jaden couldn't act himself out of a paper bag. The reviews panned it so bad!

Black Panther was the first to have the budget behind it, advertising, crew, cast (who were all great actors) and a brilliant director ... Plus it IS the only big budget afrofuturist mythical superhero movie ... And it is loved by many ... Not just black people.
So when there is another predominately Asian cast big budget comic book property and they want to hype it as "the FIRST TIME Asians can see themselves on screen as the leads in their own story" you will be OK with dismissing Shang-chi as a pioneer just like Li is dismissing all the films that came before his? Since Shang Chi himself is the creation of 2 white dudes and is heavily influenced by earlier white dude creations like Fu Manchu then it isn't really the "correct" celebration of Chinese culture, is it.

Let's just move these goalposts all over the place.

It just would be nice if that actor would acknowledge that he stands on the shoulders of giants, many in his film! He isn't breaking any new ground, just using a big fat plow handed to him by Disney.

sol_bad sol_bad whole argument is that it is film about Asian CULTURE... Not just having an Asian lead.

That's like saying, you know all about Japanese lifestyle because you watch a lot of anime.
This movie is as much about Asian culture as Pokemon is about zookeeping. It's a frikkin' superficial popcorn flick with silly costumes, explosions and superpowers. The "Asian" style serves merely as a veneer. It hardly elevates above a design element.

ManaByte

That's like saying, you know all about Japanese lifestyle because you watch a lot of anime.
This movie is as much about Asian culture as Pokemon is about zookeeping. It's a frikkin' superficial popcorn flick with silly costumes, explosions and superpowers. The "Asian" style serves merely as a veneer. It hardly elevates above a design element.

Shouta Shouta 's posts in this thread disagree with that.

ManaByte

Do Westerns teach you to be a cowboy and tell you all about cattle farming? Shang-Chi is as much about Asian culture as Rush Hour.
Look it's fine to enjoy these movies but let's not elevate their significance above something they do not deserve.

Something tells me you don't even watch these movies and all you do is shit up threads about them.

Last edited:

McCheese

Good film, fight choreography was a step up from the usual marvel b-unit stuff.

Loved the Mandarin, such an cool character and stole every scene he was in. I thought the idea of 10 magic rings sounded lame but he proved me wrong, fuck shields and full body outfits, that guy tore shit up wearing an Armani suit, what a badass.

Really liked the mythical setting in the second half too, but maybe those fucking dragons overstepped the line and made it too much about spectacle, felt like they had a "well it's an Asian film so you have to have them" remit or something.

CGI seemed way better than the trailer, did they improve some of it for the theatre release? I heard previews were quite critical of poor green screen work but I'm pretty sure they tidied it all up for the version I watched

Worth watching.

Last edited:
This might come as a shock to you, but not everyone on this planet exists just to spread bitterness and negativity about shit.

Oh no doubt, others exist to shill and fill their twitter wall with product advertisement.
Deflating some of that PR hype has nothing to do with being bitter. Now either stop it with the personal remarks or engage with my arguments at hand.

Last edited:

Toons

Lol @ golks getting triggered over him being passionate about a movie.

Yes hes playing an actual comic book superhero not just some fighter guy and there hasn't been a lot of those that look like Asians or Asian Americans, let alone leading a film.

Theres nothing wrong with him being appreciative of that. Trying to discredit him over that is weak.

Hes been passionate about it since before he even got the role. A lot of actors do this when their movie is releasing. I see no issue.

Edit: And one more thing, putting this against the crow, in which the main actor was a race swap that would be complained about on this site if it happened today is hilarious.

Comparing this movie to the crow is like comparing Norbit to Boyz in the Hood.

Last edited:

Toons

Oh no doubt, others exist to shill and fill their twitter wall with product advertisement.
Deflating some of that PR hype has nothing to do with being bitter. Now either stop it with the personal remarks or engage with my arguments at hand.

You're on neogaf. You're not deflating PR hype, you're fellating your own ego.

And your arguments are nonexistent because it is blatantly obvious you haven't seen the movie.

Im all for criticism of this film and others but at least pretend to want to be taken seriously.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And wasn't Disney's AND Marvel's own Big Hero 6 starring an Asian lead? We moving the goal posts to live action only now? Or did Hiro not look Asian enough?

As for The Crow, the Brandon Lee casting was perfect but given what happened on the set of that film now I wish they had not race swapped it and cast Sean Penn instead :p

Last edited:

kunonabi

And wasn't Disney's AND Marvel's own Big Hero 6 starring an Asian lead? We moving the goal posts to live action only now? Or did Hiro not look Asian enough?

As for The Crow, the Brandon Lee casting was perfect but given what happened on the set of that film now I wish they had not race swapped it and cast Sean Penn instead :p
Best part was big hero 6 was too Asian so they changed one of them to a black guy.

squallheart

I
But it stands no chance of catching up to the Oscar nominated cultural phenomenon Black Panther which is sitting at 96%

Man, its hard typing that with a straight face.
I never understood the love for that film i was entertained but there was nothing special about it. I enjoyed Ragnarok more. Can't wait to see this film since I'm a big fan of tony leung and liked simu from Kim's convenience.

Watched it on opening night and was entertained throughout, although the fatherly interactions with his son were cliché as hell. And to be honest I found it to more enjoyable when I forgot it was a Marvel movie.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Watched it on Wednesday. I really enjoyed it but it was brought down a bit for by the end set pieces. I thought the beginning and middle was much more engaging.

Still, best MCU origin since Black Panther.
Black Panther wasn’t an origin story. He was already black Panther.

Shouta

I'd love to, but I live in China and for some reason they don't want "The greatest Asian representation superhero movie of all time" released here. Dr Strange, seems like it would be a perfect fit for this market.

For what it's worth, Chinese that live in other parts of Asia have been responding pretty well to it from what I've been reading. It'll be interesting how the mainland responds. Apparently "我吃的鹽比你吃的飯要多" or "I've had more salt than you've had rice/meals" got a huge pop from the native speaking crowds. The English subtitle for it was really dry though.

Shouta Shouta 's posts in this thread disagree with that.

Yeah, it has a lot of Asian culture from how family dynamics worked to the language being used, like above, to even the mythical creatures featured like the nine-tailed fox, hundun, qilin, etc. it could be argued that the film doesn't have a distinctly Chinese perspective in the storytelling but it definitely has the cultural aspects down. If someone has grown up in that culture or a similar one and seen this film, it's pretty undeniable. It's also trying to blend the modern with folklore into a world where both exist simultaneously so it can feel a bit weird. Both are aspects of culture though.

Good film, fight choreography was a step up from the usual marvel b-unit stuff.

Loved the Mandarin, such an cool character and stole every scene he was in. I thought the idea of 10 magic rings sounded lame but he proved me wrong, fuck shields and full body outfits, that guy tore shit up wearing an Armani suit, what a badass.

Really liked the mythical setting in the second half too, but maybe those fucking dragons overstepped the line and made it too much about spectacle, felt like they had a "well it's an Asian film so you have to have them" remit or something.

CGI seemed way better than the trailer, did they improve some of it for the theatre release? I heard previews were quite critical of poor green screen work but I'm pretty sure they tidied it all up for the version I watched

Worth watching.

It can be a bit much but considering how that creature is such a mainstay in folklore, I was pretty happy with it. It also managed to be a big battle without devolving into eye-glazing sequences that the other Marvel movies have problems with.

I

I never understood the love for that film i was entertained but there was nothing special about it. I enjoyed Ragnarok more. Can't wait to see this film since I'm a big fan of tony leung and liked simu from Kim's convenience.

You're in for a treat if you're a fan of Tony Leung then. He kills it in this and he's pretty much up there for Marvel villains.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I

When all the futuristic movies have a tendency to not show people who look like you, then Black Panther, which is decidedly Afrofuturist, comes out and you now see something new and exciting that speaks to your genetic heritage ... It excites you.

I'm glad you found it enjoyable... The feeling I had when I first saw it... Seeing Wakanda for the first time and the wonder in Chadwick's voice... It legit made me tear up.

It affected me deeper than just "new Marvel movie".

Top Bottom