• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law |OT| A Lawyer Show

AJUMP23

I highly doubt that.
You should sit in a meeting with engineers men and women that just want to say the same thing 10 different ways. The biggest offenders at my office of being re-explainers are all women. People telling people stuff they already know has been around for a long time. Women just get feeling hurt or say it is demeaning, when in reality it is just dumb people want to hear themselves talk. I will actually do it to my female boss on purpose just to make her laugh.

Tieno

Hey look, I found the 1 person on planet Earth who didn't see Endgame, seeing as how he thought this reference was Jennifer "objectifying" Cap:
giphy.gif

americas-ass-jake-wyler.gif
No fun allowed, that's Captain America disrespecting Captain America!

Bwesh

You all should check out Orphan Black if you liked Tatiana and this is your first time seeing her. She plays different people, clones of each other who lived different lives. A pretty soft sci-fi show with intriguing concept.

Edit: She plays all of the characters amazingly well.

htbIILn.png

Last edited:

Tams

Hey look, I found the 1 person on planet Earth who didn't see Endgame, seeing as how he thought this reference was Jennifer "objectifying" Cap:
giphy.gif

americas-ass-jake-wyler.gif
That's a one off line with double entendre, not a mini rant.

Also, by the person to and about himself.

Last edited:

Forsythia

You all should check out Orphan Black if you liked Tatiana and this is your first time seeing her. She plays different people, clones of each other who lived different lives. A pretty soft sci-fi show with intriguing concept.

Edit: She plays all of the characters amazingly well.

htbIILn.png

Great show! Now I want to rewatch it! And Maslany is amazing, and she is good in She-Hulk as well. I liked the first episode.

ManaByte

Would disagree, in the comics buce banner chooses to give her a blood transfusion and save her, the show just shows the blood getting into her accidentally. Need to make sure male hulk doesn't look good in anyway.
Not sure where that angle on it is coming from, but in the comics she's shot and Bruce is the only one there with the correct blood type.

Again, that wouldn't work in either modern comics or the MCU as no doctor would allow the Hulk to give blood to someone else.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Would disagree, in the comics buce banner chooses to give her a blood transfusion and save her, the show just shows the blood getting into her accidentally. Need to make sure male hulk doesn't look good in anyway.
...Well now Buce gave her blood in a different way. Who cares? Buce.

ShadowNate

Did the Orphan Black series end with a proper finale or was it cancelled? I gave up on it after season 3 (I think) because certain plot threads were becoming tiresome. Maslany was very good though in that, I agree.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I haven't watched it, mostly because I liked better the scary hulk before they turned him into a joke like the rest of the MCU.

Hulk should be scary come on.

On the other hand I can confirm Orphan Black is dope, although it gets a little soup opera-ish in later seasons.

A bit of a fast tracked start and they're laying on the whole annoying know-it-all cousin thing a little bit too much, but it's clear that she should have a character growth arc in the show to make her more humble over time and ultimately realize that Bruce had an overall good point to teach. At least... if this were Pixar I would expect this to happen. With Marvel there's a 50/50 chance of her not really learning anything and this ends up being a cameo-centric show to just springboard other potential Marvel shows and characters.

Ulysses 31

A bit of a fast tracked start and they're laying on the whole annoying know-it-all cousin thing a little bit too much, but it's clear that she should have a character growth arc in the show to make her more humble over time and ultimately realize that Bruce had an overall good point to teach. At least... if this were Pixar I would expect this to happen. With Marvel there's a 50/50 chance of her not really learning anything and this ends up being a cameo-centric show to just springboard other potential Marvel shows and characters.
Well, she doesn't even self reflect on the dude she punched as Hulk and as a lawyer she should know it was unwarranted(all they did was talk to her at that point) but it's never brought up again. She said she was in control whenever she changed so that makes that scene even more damning for her.

Well, she doesn't even self reflect on the dude she punched as Hulk and as a lawyer she should know it was unwarranted(all they did was talk to her at that point) but it's never brought up again. She said she was in control whenever she changed so that makes that scene even more damning for her.
Which is why, if done right, there could be character growth. I'm theorizing here, but as of now with episode 1 I think the point of those scenes you're bringing up and also her attitude towards her cousin Bruce are hints towards her having a growth arc. She is being painted by the show as a know-it-all who thinks she has a grip on everything. Things will probably get better for her in episode 2 and 3 once her popularity skyrockets and she suddenly has tons of men who want to date her(according to the trailers), then she will slowly come to realize that she can't just be selfish with her powers and she will have to step up more to be a hero.

The reason I'm slightly worried is because the worst thing they can do is ruin any potential character development and use this as a springboard season. Season 1's aren't usually supposed to be meant for that, but this is Marvel so 🤷‍♂️

Ulysses 31

Which is why, if done right, there could be character growth. I'm theorizing here, but as of now with episode 1 I think the point of those scenes you're bringing up and also her attitude towards her cousin Bruce are hints towards her having a growth arc. She is being painted by the show as a know-it-all who thinks she has a grip on everything. Things will probably get better for her in episode 2 and 3 once her popularity skyrockets and she suddenly has tons of men who want to date her(according to the trailers), then she will slowly come to realize that she can't just be selfish with her powers and she will have to step up more to be a hero.

The reason I'm slightly worried is because the worst thing they can do is ruin any potential character development and use this as a springboard season. Season 1's aren't usually supposed to be meant for that, but this is Marvel so 🤷‍♂️
She might become more humble later on but it seems even the show gives her a pass on the scene I brought up, not even Bruce mentions it to strengthen his point that she does need some training with her new powers and that she could've killed someone if he hadn't stepped in.

Let's just assume the guy is OK after taking a punch from a hulk. 🤡

Last edited:
It could be possible that she'll be more humble later on but it seems even the show gives her a pass on the scene I brought up, not even Bruce mentions it to strengthen his point that she does need some training with her new powers and that she could've killed someone if he hadn't stepped in.

We just simply don't know that yet or if that prior outburst of her's will cause a rift in the public's image of her. However if they never touch on it, then you'll be right.

FireFly

She might become more humble later on but it seems even the show gives her a pass on the scene I brought up, not even Bruce mentions it to strengthen his point that she does need some training with her new powers and that she could've killed someone if he hadn't stepped in.

The guy doesn't take a punch from her. Hulk stops her before she can reach him. Also Jennifer said that the first time she transformed she couldn't remember what was happening to her, but then after the lab incident it "settled in". You can also see in the lab incident she isn't herself for the first few seconds, and then her personality comes back.

Last edited:

ManaByte

The guy doesn't take a punch from her. Hulk stops her before she can reach him. Also Jennifer said that the first time she transformed she couldn't remember what was happening to her, but then after the lab incident it "settled in". You can also see in the lab incident she isn't herself for the first few seconds, and then her personality comes back.

I never posted what you quoted.

Ulysses 31

Hmm you're right about the punch, it's actually a grab she tries to do when Bruce stops her but still that wasn't the first time she changed when the dudes bothered her. That's right after she gets Banner's blood on her wound.

As a lawyer she has to know she's still in the wrong for initiating the attack.

FireFly

Hmm you're right about the punch, it's actually a grab she tries to do when Bruce stops her but still that wasn't the first time she changed when the dudes bothered her. That's right after she gets Banner's blood on her wound.

As a lawyer she has to know she's still in the wrong for initiating the attack.
Ok, but to be super nitpicky, she doesn't say that after the first time she was fine. She says she is fine "now". You can see her enter full on rage mode at the start of the lab incident, before becoming "normal".

Ulysses 31

Ok, but to be super nitpicky, she doesn't say that after the first time she was fine. She says she is fine "now". You can see her enter full on rage mode at the start of the lab incident, before becoming "normal".
I was more pointing towards her remembering, I'll can assume she had no control over changing till after the lab events.

FireFly

I was more pointing towards her remembering, I'll can assume she had no control over changing till after the lab events.
Even if we accept that her memory issues resolved completely after the first transformation (and that's not clear since she just says she is fine "now"), there is still the question of how much control she had during "rage mode", which is unresolved. The responsibility she bears is proportional to the control she had over her actions.

Ulysses 31

Even if we accept that her memory issues resolved completely after the first transformation (and that's not clear since she just says she is fine "now"), there is still the question of how much control she had during "rage mode", which is unresolved. The responsibility she bears is proportional to the control she had over her actions.
Indeed, but she as a lawyer doesn't seem interested in examining what the legal ramifications could've been if Bruce hadn't intervened. Even if she didn't remember anymore, Bruce should've brought it up with when she put up her "I don't need help" attitude.

FireFly

Indeed, but she as a lawyer doesn't seem interested in examining what the legal ramifications could've been if Bruce hadn't intervened. Even if she didn't remember anymore, Bruce should've brought it up with when she put up her "I don't need help" attitude.
I agree Bruce should have brought it up. I think she is being stubborn in not wanting to consider the possible implications of her powers, given that she just wants to go back to being a lawyer.

But her responsibility really does depend on her mental state. You can think about cases of people committing crimes while sleepwalking or being under the involuntary influence of drugs. Though if she loses control again she would have more responsibility given that she now knows she can enter that rage state.

sol_bad

I have to say it's weird that certain people will point out arrogant female characters as a bad thing but are completely fine with males being arrogant and self centred. Say like Tony Stark for example.

And how they point out female characters being mean about male characters. But are perfectly fine with Tony putting shit on Steve in Avengers.

I have to say it's weird that certain people will point out arrogant female characters as a bad thing but are completely fine with males being arrogant and self centred. Say like Tony Stark for example.

And how they point out female characters being mean about male characters. But are perfectly fine with Tony putting shit on Steve in Avengers.
When pointing these things out, you have to cover your bases when it comes to these arguments. I myself agree with your overall point, but someone is going to come into this thread and prove to you that Captain Marvel and Tony Stark, both characters being arrogant and self centered, are vastly different based on how they were presented in their movies.

Ironbunny

Mostly I was surprised how good the CGI on her looked. In the trailer she looked somewhat off but in the pilot I think they nailed it. The episode itself was ok. I have no clue how she is potrayd in the comic but in this she just came off as an annoying person. I guess to show her as a very career driven lawyer. Too early to rate but it has potentional.

sol_bad

When pointing these things out, you have to cover your bases when it comes to these arguments. I myself agree with your overall point, but someone is going to come into this thread and prove to you that Captain Marvel and Tony Stark, both characters being arrogant and self centered, are vastly different based on how they were presented in their movies.

The difference is those films have a complete story, so you could see the character growth and change happen pretty quickly. She-Hulk still needs to finish it's story.

Tony got put down several times - he was portrayed as the “villain” in Civil War and was defeated by Cap. Also, he died.

jason10mm

Gold Member

I'll allow it....
sFMSV1J.gif

Tony got put down several times - he was portrayed as the “villain” in Civil War and was defeated by Cap. Also, he died.
I disagree with this entirely. Civil War is probably my favorite Marvel movie, and the reason it impressed me so much is because it allows each side of a serious and contentious issue to present their best argument while never telling the audience what to think. That sort of thing is hard to find anywhere these days, much less in a Marvel movie.

nush

I liked it, but I could see myself tapping out at some point in the next few episodes if she starts talking about shoes and clothes and how hard it is to be a woman. Instead of just kicking ass when needs be.

MastaKiiLA

The conversations surrounding the episode have been predictably focused too much on the girl power aspect of the show, and not the overall positive impression it left. Admittedly, it was a bit on the nose in a Force Awakens kinda way, but I'm willing to let things play out over the series run, to see if this was just simple personality reinforcement for the pilot, or if this will be a recurring theme.

My one and only concern was that she felt like a Mary Sue. Without any knowledge of the comics, her rapid mastery of the hulk powers felt way too much like Rey from Force Awakens. Hell, maybe worse, because at least Rey struggled somewhat when training with Luke. For this, they gave us the explanation for why he could control the rage, but it left me confused because Bruce struggled with it for so long. This is further exacerbated by the fact that I've seen multiple iterations of Bruce endure this epic struggle for damn near 40 years now. Seeing her low-diff hulk training is jarring, to say the least.

That said, I wouldn't really want a series where the character struggles with their powers up until the final episode. That trope has been done to death. So I will give that a chance to play out too. I hope there's a logical purpose for the apparent fast-tracking of things in this first episode, in order to give the story more room to breathe over the remainder of the season.

sinnergy

Mostly I was surprised how good the CGI on her looked. In the trailer she looked somewhat off but in the pilot I think they nailed it. The episode itself was ok. I have no clue how she is potrayd in the comic but in this she just came off as an annoying person. I guess to show her as a very career driven lawyer. Too early to rate but it has potentional.
Funny how that goes with early CGI for PR, like I explained in another thread …

Yoboman

Tony constantly got humbled for being arrogant, in fact that was his entire character arc

sol_bad

Yet another mediocre product put out by the MCU post-Infinity War. It seems their products of late have not been performing well. No wonder they wanted a bigger piece of that Spider-Man pie.

Sorry mate, you're still in the minority. Most people still love the MCU. The internet is an extremely negative space but the internet doesn't reflect the world at all.

Tatiana Maslany is a great actress and the Jen she is playing is very likeable and charismatic. Maybe a little too confident with her new found powers but I'm sure that will play into the narrative later on. Kamala constantly fucked up in the Ms. Marvel show so Marvel know how to write good character arcs.

FireFly

The conversations surrounding the episode have been predictably focused too much on the girl power aspect of the show, and not the overall positive impression it left. Admittedly, it was a bit on the nose in a Force Awakens kinda way, but I'm willing to let things play out over the series run, to see if this was just simple personality reinforcement for the pilot, or if this will be a recurring theme.

My one and only concern was that she felt like a Mary Sue. Without any knowledge of the comics, her rapid mastery of the hulk powers felt way too much like Rey from Force Awakens. Hell, maybe worse, because at least Rey struggled somewhat when training with Luke. For this, they gave us the explanation for why he could control the rage, but it left me confused because Bruce struggled with it for so long. This is further exacerbated by the fact that I've seen multiple iterations of Bruce endure this epic struggle for damn near 40 years now. Seeing her low-diff hulk training is jarring, to say the least.

That said, I wouldn't really want a series where the character struggles with their powers up until the final episode. That trope has been done to death. So I will give that a chance to play out too. I hope there's a logical purpose for the apparent fast-tracking of things in this first episode, in order to give the story more room to breathe over the remainder of the season.
Well, they say that the way she processes gamma radiation is different. So I don't think she had the same problems Bruce had to begin with.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The only two over the top points to the show isn’t “ woke “ it’s the same thing Hollywood has been doing for years. Nothing is subtle anymore. It’s all over the top “ feels”. The male lawyer and bar guys were well beyond 99% of the same situations in real life but that’s just the way tv and films have worked for the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom