• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law |OT| A Lawyer Show

ManaByte

Did'nt have to twist anything literally what they did on they show, changed her origin story for no reason and you can't tell me there isn't a feminist angle after that first episode.
No reason? What doctor on Earth would allow THE HULK to give a blood transfusion to anyone? Even Bruce wouldn’t allow that in the MCU based on The Incredible Hulk where he was so protective of his blood.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

No reason? What doctor on Earth would allow THE HULK to give a blood transfusion to anyone? Even Bruce wouldn’t allow that in the MCU based on his first movie where he was so protective of his blood.
But do you really think MCU Bruce would let her die if time were of the essence and no other option than to give his blood?

jason10mm

Gold Member
No reason? What doctor on Earth would allow THE HULK to give a blood transfusion to anyone? Even Bruce wouldn’t allow that in the MCU based on The Incredible Hulk where he was so protective of his blood.
THAT is where you draw the line with comic book realism?

It's so easily resolved.

"Bruce, I will die without this transfusion."

"Hmm, seems risky but let's do it, the alternative is death."

Done.

Ulysses 31

THAT is where you draw the line with comic book realism?

It's so easily resolved.

"Bruce, I will die without this transfusion."

"Hmm, seems risky but let's do it, the alternative is death."

Done.
I'd think Bruce would have a couple of more lines about the possible dangers making that scene an interesting character moment for him and Jennifer but alas, it seems they wanted to rush through She-Hulk's origins without even an idea what Jennifer is like as a person. :lollipop_confounded:

FireFly

Did'nt have to twist anything literally what they did on they show, changed her origin story for no reason and you can't tell me there isn't a feminist angle after that first episode.
Well the whole "at the brink of death and saved by mystical powers" thing is a pretty tired trope. And then it's going to likely lead into the trope of Bruce feeling responsible for what is happening to Jennifer, and asking himself if there were other options. And Jennifer's anger in turn would be expected to "stick" more directly to Bruce.

Whereas given that what happened in the story was a complete accident, their relationship can be a lot "lighter" and not filled with such Shakespearian drama. In that sense Bruce's arc benefits too because he's not lumbered with yet another "tragic choice".

Bragr

Banned
It was fine, the actress nails it, feels very much like a sitcom sort of thing.

It's very heavily aimed toward women though, there were about 4-5 remarks about how women suffer because of men, and the humor is also very female-centric, but I guess that's to be expected.

It's sad as a Hulk fan though, to watch something akin in tone to a Friends episode with Hulk in it like a joke.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Bruce is a doctor (not medical I know) well at least enough of one to do a blood transfusion, he has his own secret lab...

Is it so hard to believe they could have not just had her dying of cancer and Bruce caring for his cousin and not wanting her to die gives her a blood transfusion as a last ditch attempt to save her life?

It honestly felt weird that they didn't go with this angle... it would have shown a very human connection between the two. I did feel very... out of place and a lazy way of doing it... why did Bruce invented a device that would allow him to bleed if hurt randomly? It just makes no sense to me.

Missed an obvious opening for story telling.

Last edited:

FireFly

Bruce is a doctor (not medical I know) well at least enough of one to do a blood transfusion, he has his own secret lab...

Is it so hard to believe they could have not just had her dying of cancer and Bruce caring for his cousin and not wanting her to die gives her a blood transfusion as a last ditch attempt to save her life?

It honestly felt weird that they didn't go with this angle... it would have shown a very human connection between the two. I did feel very... out of place and a lazy way of doing it... why did Bruce invented a device that would allow him to bleed if hurt randomly? It just makes no sense to me.

Missed an obvious opening for story telling.
But I think that's a different story entirely. It's the story about someone at the end of their life who is given a new chance, which we saw in Love and Thunder (albeit with a different ending). In this kind of story it doesn't make sense to think of Jennifer going back to how things were, because she was expected to die anyway. And she can't be "angry" about what happened to her, unless she feels that she was better off dying of cancer. For a story about a lawyer who doesn't want to be a superhero, it makes sense that their powers are in some sense an inconvenience, rather than something that saved their life. Then accepting them has more weight.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I did feel very... out of place and a lazy way of doing it... why did Bruce invented a device that would allow him to bleed if hurt randomly? It just makes no sense to me.
Even stranger when you consider that it's Hulk that has super regenerative powers but for some reason he thinks he'll recover faster/better in human form? :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
But I think that's a different story entirely. It's the story about someone at the end of their life who is given a new chance, which we saw in Love and Thunder (albeit with a different ending). In this kind of story it doesn't make sense to think of Jennifer going back to how things were, because she was expected to die anyway. And she can't be "angry" about what happened to her, unless she feels that she was better off dying of cancer. For a story about a lawyer who doesn't want to be a superhero, it makes sense that their powers are in some sense an inconvenience, rather than something that saved their life. Then accepting them has more weight.

I can see that... its a weird way to create drama though... why not just have her excited by the prospect but then get stuck in the rut of trying to juggle two diffrent lives... for example her actions cause a villian to burst into court ruining her closing statement instead of just at random..

They can still do that later or course, but well it would be closer to the comics this way and still allow for court drama.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Soooo.... she's coherent during her rage, she knows what she's doing, she claims she's in control because she's always had to deal with shit..

...yet Bruce had to stop her from killing some dudes just for flirting with her.

Am I the only one who think this thing is actually kinda the oposite of what it's portraying itself as?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Soooo.... she's coherent during her rage, she knows what she's doing, she claims she's in control because she's always had to deal with shit..

...yet Bruce had to stop her from killing some dudes just for flirting with her.

Am I the only one who think this thing is actually kinda the oposite of what it's portraying itself as?

I believe one of the points of the series will be that coming to bite her in the ass at one point...

At least I hope it is, otherwise I'm unsure what the drama will be around.

JCK75

I'd think Bruce would have a couple of more lines about the possible dangers making that scene an interesting character moment for him and Jennifer but alas, it seems they wanted to rush through She-Hulk's origins without even an idea what Jennifer is like as a person. :lollipop_confounded:

He would tell her of the dangers and she would be wishing for the hulk powers so she can hulk out over him mansplaining.

Marvel14

Banned
In the comics she was injured and needed a blood transfusion and Bruce was the only one there with her blood type. That wouldn't work in the MCU because literally everyone on the planet knows that Banner is the Hulk and no doctor would do that, so they modified it in a way that made sense.
I don't understand how she got Bruce's blood from the accident and the high dose of gamma rays. Can someone explain?

Nico_D

You all should check out Orphan Black if you liked Tatiana and this is your first time seeing her. She plays different people, clones of each other who lived different lives. A pretty soft sci-fi show with intriguing concept.

Edit: She plays all of the characters amazingly well.

htbIILn.png

True. Except Sarah. Not Maslany's fault, Sarah is just incredibly boring and average compared to the others.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I do wish I could go back to being able to see the world without also staring at the abyss. When I could just enjoy entertainment and be oblivious to the messaging, activism, pandering, etc and clap whenever a character did something funny.

Actually no, because then I would post that to the internet and look like a fucking idiot.

Ragnarok

I do wish I could go back to being able to see the world without also staring at the abyss. When I could just enjoy entertainment and be oblivious to the messaging, activism, pandering, etc and clap whenever a character did something funny.

Actually no, because then I would post that to the internet and look like a fucking idiot.
To be fair it’s never been this pervasive and heavy handed until now. You’d have to be a total retard to not see it these days.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Coming from trying to watch Miss Marvel (insta dropped it after episode 1), this feels way better than it.

Hugare

I tried giving it a fair shake, but I hated how the main character was written

"Oh, I'm you, but better in pretty much every way" while being a smartass

"Spent more than a decade trying to control your powers? I can do it right now, easily"

"Oh, you get angry? But I have so much more reasons to be angrier than you, 'cause I'm a woman"

She always acted condescending towards her cousin

Hate characters that in one day are able to accomplish stuff that an equivalent character takes years to develop.

It ruins Hulk's character arch (not that Marvel did him any justice in the past tho)

Hopefuly they will improve her character. The actrss is great and very charismatic, and Ruffalo is as great as ever.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Did you watch the show?
Yes...hence I am asking...he mumbles something about her getting his blood but when? How? She's wandering around dazed after the accident and then turns into She hulk when she leaves the bar/restaurant. When did she get a blood transfusion between the car crash and the restaurant?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yes...hence I am asking...he mumbles something about her getting his blood but when? How? She's wandering around dazed after the accident and then turns into She hulk when she leaves the bar/restaurant. When did she get a blood transfusion between the car crash and the restaurant?

The episode shows Bruce bleeding onto her arm and his blood getting into an open wound...

Marvel14

Banned
The episode shows Bruce bleeding onto her arm and his blood getting into an open wound...
Got it...and then she immediately turns Hulk...and the gamma radiation? Is that coming from the inhibitor? Its a blink and you'll miss it moment. Clearly what happened to me!

Last edited:

Stuart360

"Spent more than a decade trying to control your powers? I can do it right now, easily"

"Oh, you get angry? But I have so much more reasons to be angrier than you, 'cause I'm a woman"

Hate characters that in one day are able to accomplish stuff that an equivalent character takes years to develop.

It ruins Hulk's character arch (not that Marvel did him any justice in the past tho)

Hopefuly they will improve her character. The actrss is great and very charismatic, and Ruffalo is as great as ever.
I wouldnt be surprised if even some femenists were cringing at that convo.
Awful.

Last edited:

Goalus

Sounds just as awful as I imagined it.

Hugare

Question? Why are some people going on about Bruce's childhood trauma to downplay what Jen says?
Because Jen compares them?

Saying that she has so many reasons to be angrier than Hulk. She is the one saying so.

Not saying that being catcalled is nice, but downplaying childhood trauma and acting all condescending is just ridiculous on her part.

sol_bad

Because Jen compares them?

Saying that she has so many reasons to be angrier than Hulk. She is the one saying so.

Not saying that being catcalled is nice, but downplaying childhood trauma and acting all condescending is just ridiculous on her part.

We don't know anything about Bruce's childhood though, the MCU has never explored it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People are getting super serious about it on Twitter over mental health because of that pretty mundane conversation about controlling anger (because Bruce was abused and was in such a bad place once he attempted suicide numerous times). I'm reading the the tweets thinking, cuz, it's a non-stop Marvel comedic fantasy that ends with a joke about Captain America not being a virgin and having a great ass. Like why in the hell are people taking this so seriously?
Funny really because as soon as she said "more then you" she proved she couldn't by hulking out and Bruce was just looking at her like.
Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by MOODMAN

So let me get this straight, she was fully in control of herself as she was about to deliberately murder a few random guys for a little cringy flirting? And she's not the villain?

After 'The Boys' is Marvel now in the full-on deconstruction phase? Is cape-shit finally about to die?

Stuart360

So let me get this straight, she was fully in control of herself as she was about to deliberately murder a few random guys for a little cringy flirting? And she's not the villain?

After 'The Boys' is Marvel now in the full-on deconstruction phase? Is cape-shit finally about to die?
I was reading an article the other day (could be bullshit obviously) that was saying that Disney execs were so taken aback by the backlash, and following low box office, of 'Lightyear' that they are considering changing their strategy in terms of constant woke stuff in their tv shows and movies. Of course if true it will take a year or two to have any effect as they have so much stuff already in production ,and stuff near completion.
The backlash against She Hulk will only add to that.

sol_bad

oh
Here we go. More calling the hero the villain. Such a weird modern thing to do.
She wasn't in control at that point, and did she actually murder them? Or did Hulk save the day in that instance?

I was reading an article the other day (could be bullshit obviously) that was saying that Disney execs were so taken aback by the backlash, and following low box office, of 'Lightyear' that they are considering changing their strategy in terms of constant woke stuff in their tv shows and movies. Of course if true it will take a year or two to have any effect as they have so much stuff already in production ,and stuff near completion.
The backlash against She Hulk will only add to that.

She-Hulk doesn't have backlash. It's just incel, insecure pathetic men that aren't really men that are backlashing against it.

Remove the retarded warriors and the average for She-Hulk is positive.
YP4KGrP.jpg

And on a site that doesn't involve retarded warriors.
bdbGCJS.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom