• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

it fell hard, for me, including the last episode. Self-referential and I'd say, even arrogant. Hoping S4 will tone down the frankly irritating, excessive humour and reciprocal dick-sucking

Yea that is what I was getting at. Even the small details like how often there are those on screen pop-ins of text with even the morphine levels are just needless and annoying. I thought those were cool in Series 1.

Series 3:
The second episode was the strongest I thought, the first was AWFUL, and the third one was almost good but fell into habits of the first episode (I also didn't like Mary having some huge secret like that)

Regarding Series 3, Sign of 3 was the strongest and best episode for me. Hearse was self-indulgent, though a bit bland while Vow...

When I first saw it, I thought it was awesome but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked a whole lot about it. Some bits and pieces were good but overall? Meh.

I didn't like series 3 at all, aside from CAM. The drunk Sherlock/Watson scene is one of the most cringeworthy pieces of TV I've ever seen. Me and my parents just kind of sat there in stunned silence. Haha.

E tu?

vOduV.gif

I loved it all. Guess I'm too easy to please.

Nah, I'd say that time (and rewatches) made me more critical though Vow really managed to rub me the wrong way after I did a third rewatch. It was supposed to be the episode that was like Great Game or Reichenbach since it was the showdown with CAM but it left me very cold in the end. Yes we know Mary has secrets and that CAM is a douchebag, yet both Sherlock and John were far more grating to me oddly enough in the episode.

As for Hearse, I think the whole bit of Sherlock basically saying, "I hope Jawn-Senpai notices me!" throughout the episode dragged their reunion on while the "V for Vendetta"-lite plot never really seemed like an actual threat. Anderson's theory made me want to throw up on the inside (though I liked the music used funny enough) while the fangirl's theory actually made me smile.

Then there's Mr. "Meat Dagger"... but no one cares for Tom really.

Slowdive

Banned
Some new info:

Sherlock showrunner Steven Moffat dropped some tiny clues about changes to the Sherlock-verse in the show’s eagerly awaited Victorian-era special. Taking (and dodging) probing questions from reporters at the Television Critics Association’s press tour event in Beverly Hills on Saturday, the writer-producer gave us these subtle tidbits:

Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock Holmes will be a bit less rude. “Sherlock is a little more polished,” Moffat said. “He operates like a Victorian gentleman instead of a posh, rude man. He’s a lot less brattish.” And Martin Freeman’s Dr. Watson? “More uptight,” Moffat said.

The time traveling won’t be explained in the episode. “We never bothered explaining what they were doing in modern London, so why bother explaining what they’re doing in Victorian London, when that’s where they’re supposed to be?” Moffat reasoned.

Ghosts may be involved. “Ghost stories work better in a Victorian setting,” Moffat teased. Update: We’re told Moffat meant by this that the story is spooky, but does not involve ghosts per se.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/01/sherlock

mclem

Yea that is what I was getting at. Even the small details like how often there are those on screen pop-ins of text with even the morphine levels are just needless and annoying. I thought those were cool in Series 1.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll replace those with something less modern in the Christmas episode.

Boem

Any ideas on which 'ghost' story Moffat could be referring to? I've been reading the complete collection of the books for a while, but haven't read nearly all of it (just the first two novels and the first short story collection).

Any ideas on which 'ghost' story Moffat could be referring to? I've been reading the complete collection of the books for a while, but haven't read nearly all of it (just the first two novels and the first short story collection).

He clarified that he didn't mean a literal ghost, just that this story is a little spookier than normal (I'm thinking the X-Files level of spookiness in Baskerville), and that that kind of story lends itself to a Victorian setting more than a modern one.

The "Ghosts of Christmases Past" 😜 but the idea, I believe, is their version of The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, which is set during Christmas.

Boem

He clarified that he didn't mean a literal ghost, just that this story is a little spookier than normal (I'm thinking the X-Files level of spookiness in Baskerville), and that that kind of story lends itself to a Victorian setting more than a modern one.

Oh yeah, I understood that, that's why I put ghost in quotation marks. The written Sherlock stories aren't exactly paranormal (although I've heard that the later stories do start touching on that stuff, but I'm not quite there yet).

The "Ghosts of Christmases Past" 😜 but the idea, I believe, is their version of The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, which is set during Christmas.

Huh, I actually read that one recently. There's not much to the story though, it's a rather straightforward mystery (and one of the sillier ones as well - I enjoy reading the stories and I can appreciate them from a historical perspective, but there are certainly some stories that don't quite measure up to the better ones - Blue Carbuncle being one of them). There's nothing spooky about it either, but they could always just take a couple of elements out of it and add them to something else or something new entirely.

Kinda bumping this but... i just caught up with Season 2 and the end was amazing, can't wait to watch S3 to see it (hopefully resolved).

So anyway, having said that, i just browsed IMDB and it says on there that S4 is slated for 2017... REALLY? I mean that is insanely far away if true :(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Kinda bumping this but... i just caught up with Season 2 and the end was amazing, can't wait to watch S3 to see it (hopefully resolved).

So anyway, having said that, i just browsed IMDB and it says on there that S4 is slated for 2017... REALLY? I mean that is insanely far away if true :(
How can it take so long time to make 4 episodes?

Most of us (...I) hope it's New Years 2017. So...it's more like 1.5 years to go, plus the special this year. Could be worse.

Speaking of the Funkos... I got my friend these (more like she requested it) as they're exclusive to Hot Topic. Personally, I'm not buying any until Lestrade, Molly and Hudders are available.

0A04F0FB-56B9-490D-A486-82C60CAD05BE_zpswkrzprwe.jpg

And as for the teaser trailer... Expectations are in check.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
YouTube if you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK7oLSM7g8w

Watson seems awfully self-aware of the time period. Moffat or plot point?

Isn't it just going to be a Sherlock episode but in a different time period? That's the impression I've had since it was announced. Not a continuation of the series, but just a "What if these characters and actors did Sherlock in the 19th century?"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't it just going to be a Sherlock episode but in a different time period? That's the impression I've had since it was announced. Not a continuation of the series, but just a "What if these characters and actors did Sherlock in the 19th century?"

I hope so, but Moffat so who knows?

It'll be on around Christmas time, but probably not on the day itself- no time for it.

New Year's Day has been good to Sherlock, so I'd guess it'll be on then.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Here's the twist: it was all Watson's dream.
Alternatively, a drug-induced hallucination.

And Moriarty's behind it.

Just you watch.

So I'm wondering if Moffat gets two specials this Christmas and New Year season. He normally gets a Doctor Who special, or is that not happening?

Top Bottom