• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Here's the twist: it was all Watson's dream.
Alternatively, a drug-induced hallucination.

And Moriarty's behind it.

Just you watch.

My hope is that since they're not bound by series canon, they can somehow bring Andrew Scott back for this. Far and away my favorite actor and character in the entire series.

Qvoth

at work so can't hear any sound, but that definitely looks good
how long is the special going to be? just an hour? :<

- EW: Sherlock finally gets return date, plus new full trailer
At last: Sherlock is getting a return date.

The BBC and PBS Masterpiece just announced premiere dates for the UK and the U.S. debuts of the eagerly awaited Victorian special edition of the acclaimed detective drama. And for the first time ever, those dates are on the same day!

The Sherlock special will air Friday, Jan. 1. Plus there’s also a new full trailer, below.

It’s been a very long wait for more Sherlock. The international sensation starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman had its third season debut in January 2014. PBS’ agreement requires that the show first airs on the BBC, and UK networks tend to announce premiere dates much closer to when the show will actually air compared to U.S. networks (which often announce premiere dates many months in advance as part of a marketing campaign). Sherlock also used to have wide gaps between its UK and U.S. air dates, but fan lobbying and widespread online piracy have considerably shrunk that window in recent years.

In addition to the Victorian episode, a special one-off episode set during Victorian times, producers are also working on a fourth season of the regular, modern-day Sherlock. Filming for season 4 was originally expected to commence this year, but is now expected to begin in early 2016.
New trailer via Masterpiece PBS.

AndyB1974

Some new images.

p0363n7xciquy.jpg

p0363ptgr5owg.jpg

p0363pp13goem.jpg

p0363q6masp0p.jpg

The special's apparently based on the tale of Ricoletti of the club foot and his abominable wife, which is one of those cases that Conan Doyle mentions but never expands on in the original stories.

Praying that they show this at my theater but since they've shown Day of the Doctor there, I think my chances are good. Hopefully I can snag a ticket on Nov. 2nd.

For those too lazy to click; same trailer that was posted before, except with the addition of the title ("The Abominable Bride") and airdate (Jan 1).

Still looks great.
Ah, ok. I haven't seen either trailer and just posted bars off the article title. At least we have a premiere date finally.

Am I missing something obvious, or is there no market/theater list there?

I don't believe the list of theaters is up yet as tickets aren't up. Probably check back periodically to see if they update with a list, since it's still a week out from preorder.

Other option is to sign up for email alerts, which is linked on the site.

berzeli

Banned
Den of Geek have a quite nice interview with Benedict Cumberbatch on the new special.
How did you respond when they said they wanted to do a Victorian Holmes?
I was thrilled! I went, at last, I can have a fucking haircut [laughter] I can slick it back and not have that ridiculous mop of curls on my head. And then I went you&#8217;re mad, what?
The first pitch was quite light. It was at the end of the third episode of the last season and I genuinely didn&#8217;t understand how they were going to get away with it. And then the more detailed pitch came when they were talking about series four as well and I went, okay, this is going to be great fun. And it really is.
Is there still the &#8216;bromance&#8217;?
You just really want to write the word &#8216;bromance&#8217; [laughter]
There can&#8217;t be an article without it in there!
There can. You can be the first! Strive for change in the press. [Laughter]
It&#8217;s definitely a companionship that&#8217;s evolved in our version, so we&#8217;re not regressing it back to &#8216;wow! Golly Holmes&#8217; or some kind of Nigel Bruce-esque adoration, it&#8217;s more complex than that. It is an examination of what they were in the original stories but with our flavour.
We don&#8217;t want to make it into a sketch, we don&#8217;t want to make it into something ridiculous or comic but at the same time, because we want to be true to the original but at the same time we&#8217;ve got to be true to our version of it. It&#8217;s that very delicate balancing act.
Do you think doing a Christmas Victorian episode could become a bit of a tradition?
Keep coming back for more? Maybe, maybe. I don&#8217;t know. We&#8217;ll see how this one goes. I think if it becomes impossible to schedule a season every year, year and a half then yeah, absolutely, why not.
It&#8217;s a great deal of fun, this, but it does advance things, it&#8217;s not just on its own.
How determined are you to keep making time for Sherlock?
Pretty determined. I&#8217;m still enjoying it. We&#8217;ll see how the next series goes, but as it is in this room, as I&#8217;ve said many times before, I&#8217;d love to keep ageing with him. Martin and I started this relatively young compared to a lot of Holmes and Watsons, so why not?

edit: they also have an interview with Martin Freeman
What&#8217;s it like playing the Victorian John Watson? Is it any different to normal?
It&#8217;s slightly different. You amend what you&#8217;re doing very slightly. The plan wasn&#8217;t to suddenly present a whole different character or pastiche of him, but it does tighten you up slightly, physically and vocally. There&#8217;s less overly casual, modern speech, I suppose. The sentence structures are a bit more formalised so that, inevitably, makes you speak more properly.
Apart from that, it&#8217;s more the novelty of putting on different gear and having different props and 221B looking different and the moustache and hair and all that.
How are you finding the costume?
It&#8217;s fine, it&#8217;s slightly frustrating because you can&#8217;t get dressed on your own. You need help &#8211; that&#8217;s why people had butlers I guess. That&#8217;s slightly frustrating but I love the end result, I really love the clothes.
Presumably the Victorian era changes John&#8217;s relationship with Mary?
Again, I suppose it changes his and the world&#8217;s expectation of a, what a woman should be doing generally and b, specifically what that woman would be doing. I&#8217;m hoping that our version last year surprised some people that she ended up being an international assassin [laughter]. I guess in 1895, that would be even rarer for a gentlewoman and essentially the wife of a doctor, as opposed to now when you can be any number of five thousand things. Then, you were more likely, I guess, to be a wife and a homemaker. So that might change it slightly, but also, without being too stupid about it, it also might not. I don&#8217;t want to give too much away, but again, the surface is where it is but we also will always go underneath that.
Are they Holmes and Watson rather than Sherlock and John?
You mind your own business! [laughter] This feels like Richard Nixon&#8217;s last stand, because we&#8217;ve just been told to &#8216;say nothing! Deny everything, Baldrick!&#8217; So yes, possibly.
Just because that was one of the idioms of the new series?
Yes it was and that is certainly the way they spoke to each other in the stories was more &#8216;Holmes&#8217; and &#8216;Watson&#8217;, so there is a bit more of that.
Did you feel the need to go back to the original Conan Doyle stories more with this one, because this is a more faithful adaptation?
Well, I&#8217;m quite familiar with them now. I listen to them a lot when I&#8217;m travelling about or going off to sleep, I like listening to them.
Much more at the links

I would love if the series continued for years with Benedict and Martin making time every 2-3 years to revisit the characters. Aging with the series is a fantastic idea and a good compromise to busy schedules.

berzeli

Banned
The interview with Gatiss and Moffat is up.

On how the decision to take Sherlock back in time for the Victorian-set Special came about:
Mark Gatiss: We’ve sort of joked about the idea for a long time, but it’s just massively appealing to do a one-off special where the only other people who’ve done it are Rathbone and Bruce, to do it both period and modern. We’re doing it the other way around. But it was sort of irresistible, the idea of actually seeing Benedict and Martin and everybody else in Doyle-land, as it were.
Steven Moffat: Sue was just giving us the options. It was like, 'what would you do with the Special? If there were three more coming later, could you do anything with a Special?'
MG: Really pragmatically, if we only had room to do one, if it was the first episode of another three and then we did the other two twelve months later, that’s a bit odd, so it sort of dictated itself really.
SM: We wouldn’t be doing one like this unless it was a standalone Special. You wouldn’t take up a third of a series doing this.
MG: Last time we shot the first two together, then we had quite a gap before episode three again, so it might be the pattern for the future that we’re not able to do them in one big block.
SM: It started with us thinking, could we justify having a ten minutes where they just put the togs on so we could see them do it? [...] Then we thought, actually, let’s not do that. Let’s just do it, let’s do it for real! Do a whole film as the Victorian version, do it properly and not tongue-in-cheek, just as we would have done it had we started the other way.
On whether there was ever any resistance to the idea of doing a Victorian episode?
SM: A little bit.
MG: We talked with the BBC, didn’t we?
SM: And Sue [Vertue, producer]. Both Sue and Ben were both saying ‘Aah…’, because there is a reasonable expectation on their part that we might over-indulge ourselves. So the thing was saying that we’re not going to make a piss-take or a parody and we’re not going to get carried away with ‘look how we’ve dressed up! Isn’t it tremendously funny! Ooh, sideburns!’ we’re not going to do that. We’re actually going to do a really good Victorian one. It’s going to be really good. Our objective was that ten, fifteen minutes in, you’re going to forget that we’ve changed it. You’re just going to be watching a really good Sherlock story.
MG: We thought, we’ve got room for a Special, with everyone’s timings. We did talk about maybe doing three stories in one, and one of which would be period. And then we just thought, what on earth are we talking about, this is a grand opportunity. Given that our other great touchstone is the Billy Wilder film, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, which is very much a modern comedy dressed up in Victorian clothes, that was something to aspire to.
Could there be others or is this just a one-off?
MG: [Joking] We’re going to do one in 1944 in black and white…
SM: Where he fights the Nazis! [Laughter] With a speech from Churchill in it!
MG: And at the side it says ‘Buy War Bonds In This Theatre!’
As per usual, much more at the link.

berzeli

Banned
I almost missed this (so glad I didn't), today Den of Geek have an interview with Amanda Abbington.

We just saw a brief clip of the Special…
Oh, did you? More than I’ve bloody seen!
How is it playing the Victorian Mary? You put the costume on, do you immediately stand up straighter?
Yeah, you do. You’re in a corset. And also, because of the way Mark’s written it, it’s not modern dialogue, so there is an element of everything being held and placed. That just happens automatically with the costume. Because it’s really heavy! That’s genuine one-hundred year old material, you pick it up and it just rips, so you have to be really careful with it, but as soon as you’re in it, you just find yourself quite placed, which is great, because that’s the period. Repression, keeping the women down…
So it makes you quite static?
In that costume, yeah. There’s another couple of scenes that I do with Mark where I’m in a blue dress quite similar, again in a corset, but there’s another. In the third costume, it’s plus fours and a waistcoat, it’s quite Hobbity actually, looks quite like Martin! [laughter] And I don’t wear a corset in that, so it’s much more free. It’s all very held.
You mention repression in the era and keeping women down. Is that purely a sartorial consideration or has it affected your portrayal of the character?
The way Mark’s written it, there are elements of sufferage so you tend to play that. Because it’s written for that period, you’re just aware of it, so you keep that in mind with how you are with the men in the scene.
Is she still an international assassin?
Aha! [Laughs]
What did you think when they told you they were going to do a period Sherlock?
I was thrilled, I just think it’s so much fun to play, and because it was written in that time. It’s nice to hark back to that and for a second, to step out of the modern take on it and just do it from the period. They’ve really caught the period in the way they’ve dressed everything and the settings we’ve got and the dialogue and characters. You really feel you get a sense of Conan Doyle’s London at that time.
Would you say there's something a bit mischievous in doing it when fans will be expecting a continuation from the series three cliff-hanger?
I don’t know. I don’t think so. Personally, I think it’s a fantastic idea to take that special completely out of context, because you always get three in the series and I liked the fact that that’s on hiatus and we can just do this. It’s just a different take on it. I hope and have a feeling that the fans are going to love it because it’s an exciting episode. When Martin and I read it, we were just going through it going ‘this is fantastic!’ A real page-turner.
Do you think that’s changed now with the show?
Yes. Totally. There are so many young girls reading it. I was doing a play recently and there were girls waiting outside for autographs and there were all these books and I asked ‘have you read them?’ and they went ‘yeah, we’re massive fans’. I think that’s because of this particular version of Sherlock, I’m sure it is.
The Conan Doyle books, it almost seems, can’t really be bothered with women. It’s a man’s world…
Absolutely. I think that has some bearing. Women come and go and aren’t particularly featured. Irene is, but the women are just not written about, and I suppose that has some bearing on females reading it, I guess.
Your character in the new one is a big kick against that?
Yeah, which is lovely. But I do think Steven and Mark write very well for women in this. They have pulled her back slightly, she’s still quite gung-ho but there are elements of the repressed woman in it.
You’re trying not to say too much!
It’s really difficult! [Laughing] Because I’d tell you all of it now. Give me a glass of wine and I’ll tell you everything!
Might be my favourite of the lot. Head to the link and read the entire thing.

Timeaisis

Hope there's a way to watch this in the good 'ol US of A. I really don't want to wait a while for it to be on Netflix. It's winter-themed, after all!

There can. You can be the first! Strive for change in the press. [Laughter]

Haha, you can really hear Cumbie here.

I've never been interested in making threads, so no go for me.

That said, set the DVR for the 1st, got tickets secured for the 5th and 6th and have the BD preordered off Amazon. I'll probably stream the special live as well.

Despite this, I'm actually looking forward to when they'll be filming S4 as well as the US dates for Sherlocked more than the special at this time. Star Wars has kept my current fandom attention for the past couple of months lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sherlock Special |OT| Ooh Mr. Holmes, ooh~ Let's do it

Top Bottom