• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Review Thread

Somehow I feel both Fire Emblem and SMT will become rare to find pretty soon; I mean, I don't have 3DS yet, but I am going to get both games anyway to get that reward.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
IGN has given most of the recent SMT games scores in the 7.5-9 range. If the game is going to receive a 6, it'll be from Gamespot.

He's probably going off the fact that IGN's staffers have been shredding the game pretty hard on Twitter.

AniHawk

a4irLvg.gif

Yes more of this please Japan.

i really don't have a problem with this. if this's a way for small & mid-size developers to continue to make well-produced, clever, involved, & interesting games, then bring on the portables, baby...

i've got nothing against indies. but they just don't do it for me the way games like these games do...

Soriku

He's probably going off the fact that IGN's staffers have been shredding the game pretty hard on Twitter.

It's just one guy. Who played the game for 2 hours and doesn't like that it's not like Persona. He's not reviewing the game though.

coopolon

Somehow I feel both Fire Emblem and SMT will become rare to find pretty soon; I mean, I don't have 3DS yet, but I am going to get both games anyway to get that reward.

They're both available digitally. Hopefully that will keep the prices on physical units down.

Have it pre-ordered on Amazon. My first of the series. I just hate having to try and 'find' games later on so I order them and play them when I have time.

NeonZ

Did Persona start out as this? Can someone give me a rundown on this series? Based on the reviews, the developer, and the genre I'm interested but I've never played any of these. Would I be fine to jump right in?

Megami Tensei 1-2 and later Shin Megami Tensei 1-2 were NES and SNES games featuring many mythological creatures, collectivelly called "demons", which the player could recruit to fight alongside them, it was basically the first 'monster' franchise, although with a rather dark story focusing on the battle of heaven and hell (with figures from various mythologies) with humanity in the middle of it all.

There was a SMT title for the SNES called SMT:If that introduced a "Guardian Spirit" mechanic, involving asociating demons with the hero to get different boosts, and focused strictly on high school human characters, while still keeping the demon system from the previous games too.

SMT:If's new mechanics and ideas, rather than staying in future SMT titles, were eventually further developed when Atlus made the original Persona for the Playstation (which was still labeled as a "Megami" title in Japan, although its successors weren't), which continued the world featured in SMT:If and greatly expanded on the Guardian Spirit mechanic with the new "Personas", which replaced the recruitable demons. Spells, fusions and demon/persona designs still are often shared between Persona and the original SMT series, but the focus and tone of the story is very different, and, of course, demons are actual party members in SMT.

I've had the game pre-ordered and paid off for months and as such review scores were not going to sway my decision to purchase this game. With that said, it's great seeing it getting such positive reviews. I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to deal with the wait.

LuuKyK

Can I overlook the fact that I dont like 2D art and FPS battle system and still enjoy this game? Also, the maps are not like the first personas where you walk in FPS with random encounters right? Or like Etrian Odyssey where you have to "discover the format of the map"? I am really tempted to buy it.

Can I overlook the fact that I dont like 2D art and FPS battle system and still enjoy this game? Also, the maps are not like the first personas where you walk in FPS with random encounters right? I am really tempted to buy it.

The camera's third-person during exploration, and the enemies are on the field.

Can I overlook the fact that I dont like 2D art and FPS battle system and still enjoy this game? Also, the maps are not like the first personas where you walk in FPS with random encounters right? Or like Etrian Odyssey where you have to "discover the format of the map"? I am really tempted to buy it.

Battle system is the only thing first person Dungeon exploration is 3D and battles are not random.

NeonZ

Dungeons are in 3rd person and encounters are visible, although when the battle starts is changes to the first person screen. Regarding your dislike of 2d art, I guess it depends on how much it bothers you...

KarmaCow

I can't find very much about the dungeon exploration in these reviews. Strange Journey was excruciating.

That's what I was looking for too. The reviews make it seem like dungeons are fairly simple but the world map can be annoying to traverse.

World map will most likely be the standard overhead with a marker that you move around as its always been.

Well I've only played Strange Journey when it comes to "main" SMT games which is why I was asking. The other example I have is Soul Hackers but that doesn't have encounters on the (segmented) overworld either.

Soriku

I can't find very much about the dungeon exploration in these reviews. Strange Journey was excruciating.

From what I've heard the areas aren't supposed to be as complicated but still have dead ends, secret passages and hidden items, etc.

It seems like the 3DS can't stop producing awesome. I just got Animal Crossing, and now SMT4 looks awesome. LttP2 and Pokemon later this year. 3DS, why can't I find time to play all of your games?

They're both available digitally. Hopefully that will keep the prices on physical units down.
Well, you won't get the limited edition SMTIV digitally, at least :D (but to be honest, I had forgotten about one of the main reasons why some games used get so expensive) Anyhow, I feel like I will be getting this games for $88 now, get $30 back on the eShop, and sell them later for around $40, and have played them both for $18. That's TOO cheap really :D

AniHawk

It seems like the 3DS can't stop producing awesome. I just got Animal Crossing, and now SMT4 looks awesome. LttP2 and Pokemon later this year. 3DS, why can't I find time to play all of your games?

yeah i thought i was off the hook after fea, but pokemon, zelda, and ace attorney 5 are all hitting this year. i was not counting on that.

Nice reviews. The $50 price tag and my hatred of the battle system are definitely going to make it a tough sell for me, but I'm glad the game isn't being completely ventilated by the press. Seems Persona was a gateway drug for a lot of them - they weren't nearly this forgiving with Nocturne.

Sendou

Nice reviews. The $50 price tag and my hatred of the battle system are definitely going to make it a tough sell for me, but I'm glad the game isn't being completely ventilated by the press. Seems Persona was a gateway drug for a lot of them - they weren't nearly this forgiving with Nocturne.

Or maybe it's actually a better game than Nocturne?

From gamers in Japan, it sounds like a simple case of SMT IV simply being better than Nocturne.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wait, there's that free $30 e-shop gift card for buying both this and Fire Emblem right? Awesome, I bought Fire Emblem at launch.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Other than Nocturne being full 3D, why would anyone doubt that SMTIV can be better? Everything I've heard from hardcore SMT players is that IV has more demons, better music, it's longer and harder and has a much better story

Roubjon

Other than Nocturne being full 3D, why would anyone doubt that SMTIV can be better? Everything I've heard from hardcore SMT players is that IV has more demons, better music, it's longer and harder and has a much better story

Having 2D battles and being on a portable are negatives in some peoples eyes.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It is certainly possible for it to be better. There is nothing about a handheld (at least for ME) that inherently makes a game worse.

It's some pretty big shoes to fill, however, so I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Aeana

I'm glad to see the game being received so well, and there's fewer instances of "where's my social links" than I expected. I wish it was next week already.

for me, 3ds does what wii u doesn't. & that's pretty much the way it worked for me with the ds/wii as well - loved one, & had no use for the other...

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
What about the characters?

NeonZ

Seems Persona was a gateway drug for a lot of them - they weren't nearly this forgiving with Nocturne.

I guess it helps that SMT 4 actually has npcs, unlike the mostly desolate Nocturne, and the dungeons are more spread out (there are many dungeon areas, but none of them, individually, seem to be nearly as big as some of the biggest past dungeons in the series based on what I've read about it).

The later seems to have caused complaints from some fans of past games, but I guess it'll please reviewers and newcomers.

StatsChu

Neo Member
Although I have a crapload of games on the burner - PxZ, DKCR, ACNL, MH3U, SH, LCUCB - I am hyped for this release!

I kinda wished I had preorded at Gamestop though, the DLC skin looks better to me.

Wow, great reviews. This and Soul Hackers have really surprised me critically. Certainly it proves that when JRPGs are decent, their scores reflect it.

Ironically, Soul Hackers didn't deserve it. That game is an absolutely godawful port - it's like the anti-P4G.

o_O? I can't tell if you're just taking the piss or not.

I prefer console games over handheld games. I don't see what's so ridiculous about that.

I guess having 2D battles and being on a portable are negatives in some peoples eyes.

Bingo.

Top Bottom