• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Review Thread

boinx

Fucking hell it's going to be tough trying to avoid spoilers for the plot. Still waiting on that EU release date..

Dantis

Other than Nocturne being full 3D, why would anyone doubt that SMTIV can be better? Everything I've heard from hardcore SMT players is that IV has more demons, better music, it's longer and harder and has a much better story

CHANCE NOT FORNEUS. The soundtrack is drastically inferior in my opinion.

Also I thought I'd heard it's a lot easier than Nocturne. Not that difficulty really bothers me. The main detractors in my eyes are the presentation. Hate the 2D battles, the lack of cutscenes and the ugly graphics. I'm not saying that makes it a bad game by any means, but those are things I really liked in Nocturne.

Soriku

Ironically, Soul Hackers didn't deserve it. That game is an absolutely godawful port - it's like the anti-P4G.

Have you played it? The CG scenes not being optimized and some glitches aside (which didn't really affect me), what was bad about it?

Also the soundtrack in IV is better than Nocturne's.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I prefer my battles 2D in my SMT and personally, while I like Nocturne's soundtrack everything I've heard on Youtube from SMTIV is light years ahead for my tastes.

Ironically, Soul Hackers didn't deserve it. That game is an absolutely godawful port - it's like the anti-P4G.

I prefer console games over handheld games. I don't see what's so ridiculous about that.

Bingo.

Yes, and we get to hear about your discontent in every SMT4 thread. Wonderful!

I've been having this on loop for quite a while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GamRLR0QrG0

The game is 6 days away.

Yeah, I expected them to come in like a day before or two, not necessarily a flood of them 6 days before, but it all depends on when the embargo is lifted I guess.

Have you played it? The CG scenes not being optimized and some glitches aside (which didn't really affect me), what was bad about it?

Also the soundtrack in IV is better than Nocturne's.
I prefer the location/overworld/dungeon themes in IV from what I've heard. But the battle themes in Nocturne can't be topped - though they sounded horrible on the PS2 for some reason.

I know next to nothing about SMT, but with this one sounding like a good place to start, FExSMT coming out sometime in the future, and that promotion for getting a $30 credit...

Well, I may very well be picking up a new game!

I own it, and I am constantly fighting the urge to trade it in. It's just such a PS1 game in every way except for the new character art, and it shows from head to toe. It's a damn shame, because they put so much effort into new content and new UI elements for P4G.

Obviously, it's a 3DS port of a PS1 port of a Saturn game, so some of that is to be expected, but man, that game has not aged well at all. They should've just gone whole-hog and remade it from the ground up.

Soriku

I prefer the location/overworld/dungeon themes in IV from what I've heard. But the battle themes in Nocturne can't be topped.

Battle themes in IV have grown on me but I agree that the battle themes in Nocturne are mostly better. But the area themes in IV put the soundtrack above Nocturne easily.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Welp. pre-ordered. I hope I can make it through this, being it will be my first SMT game.

Currently playing through Persona 4 Golden (first time), Fire Emblem (first time), and Animal Crossing (first time).

I need more hours...

Battle themes in IV have grown on me but I agree that the battle themes in Nocturne are mostly better. But the area themes in IV put the soundtrack above Nocturne easily.

I still love the Amala Network and Dante battle themes from Nocturne. So damn good.

Lol there's nothing wrong with portable RPGs. Dragon Quest IX is one of the best RPGs I've played.

Let's not derail the thread with this argument again. We all know where we stand on this subject. :)

Really surprised at the positive treatment it's getting. We've come far since DDS and SMT3 getting lukewarm scores.
Really? I don't remember this at all.

The area themes in Nocturne were dreadfully dull and just mostly 'ambiance' driven stuff - it does help the atmosphere a lot though. I really like the variety of the little I heard from IV. Massive improvement on that front.

IGN's review (by Kat Bailey) is up:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/10/shin-megami-tensei-4-review

8.5/10

THE VERDICT

Shin Megami Tensei IV succeeds on the merits of its outstanding demon fusion system and combat, even if its story and exploration are only fair. Apart from a basic map it’s handsomely produced, and the pace moves at a good enough clip to keep things interesting. It doesn’t quite transcend the bounds of its niche appeal as an RPG, but it’s easy enough to recommend to anyone looking for a good hardcore dungeon crawler on the Nintendo 3DS.

StatsChu

Neo Member
Lol there's nothing wrong with portable RPGs. Dragon Quest IX is one of the best RPGs I've played.

Second on Dragon Quest IX - the main game is average compared to greats like III and V, but the post game content is amazing. I think I've spent more than 200 hours total on IX and still haven't completed all the quests/legacy boss battles - I should get back to it sometime.

Back on topic, anybody know when Atlus is gonna start releasing DLC for SMTIV?

Gamespot Review : 5.5/10[/URL] I can't read it because I'm at work, curious to know why it's so low.

Edit: Redacted due to my inability to click links at work

I still love the Amala Network and Dante battle themes from Nocturne. So damn good.

Let's not derail the thread with this argument again. We all know where we stand on this subject. :)

Our last argument was about SMT IV and Nocturne's dungeon presentation. This one is entirely different though, as it's about portable rpgs in general. But yeah, you're right, this is not the thread to discuss that.

This will be my first SMT game of any kind. I don't really know what to expect. I hope I like it. I'm getting kind of hyped for it. I might upgrade the shipping to 2 day on Amazon.

Jenga

Banned
so from what I can tell, the only "cons" SMT4 has is that it has the usual SMT maps

that's great, though I am curious why people seem to either love or dislike the story

so from what I can tell, the only "cons" SMT4 has is that it has the usual SMT maps

that's great, though I am curious why people seem to either love or dislike the story

It's an SMT game, so it's probably one where the Law path (and thus Christianity, which is usually evoked by said path) is treated with a bit of disdain. I can see why some people, and especially people who are not used to SMT's treatment of religion and morality, would rail against that, even if I think it's awesome.

Jenga

Banned
also, concerning "pacing and writing issues", I believe one of the devs said all the routes have to be played to get "the full story". given that most game reviews only seem to concern themselves with one play through, maybe that's the issue?

KarmaCow

Those cons are really shitty. Seem like minor nitpicks at best.

They seem to agree.
Ultimately, those limited failings will either be seen as quaint by longtime RPG addicts or tolerable by newcomers that will appreciate everything else Shin Megami Tensei IV gets right. It advances the genre in subtle ways, exhibiting once more that JRPGs are alive and well on handhelds. Numbered Shin Megami Tensei entries are few and far between. Thankfully, SMTIV makes the most of it.

Though the reviews make it seem like you spend a lot of time on the world map so it's fair to call it out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69408336]Do you still get the coupon for $30 if you got the Fire Emblem bundle? Because I didn't get points for Fire Emblem with that.[/QUOTE]From the promo site:

If you purchased the Fire Emblem: Awakening hardware bundle, you must link your Nintendo 3DS system to your Club Nintendo account and complete the registration survey for Shin Megami Tensei IV to qualify for the promotion.

Goby

Banned
Yeah I don't think an ATLUS game can ever get high scores/sales until they go all flashy and 3d.

Lot's of complaints from people complaining about "lazy graphics". It's a shame but I get that no 3d battles seems like a step back for some newcomers. I hope the Nintendo deal will offset some of that.

SMT has always been less about character development, right, totally a different experience from the Persona series.

I'm still fairly a newbie to the series with SMT Strange Journey. Even that one had flat characters.

jesusraz

9/10 from Cubed3:

In a year that started strong, with Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey IV, and hasn't let up since, with Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter and Soul Hackers, and many more, the 3DS has yet another jewel to set in its crown. Shin Megami Tensei IV isn't just another big name that Nintendo can boast about. It's one of the finest, most well produced, technically sound, feature rich and content packed RPGs released in years. True Shin Megami Tensei fans should pick it up without hesitation, and anyone who enjoys RPGs should strongly consider it as well.

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1282/1/shin-megami-tensei-iv-nintendo-3ds.html

Top Bottom