• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey The Official Thread of Minion and Demonica

Alts

Clever Pun said:
I ordered mine on the yesterday (Free Super Saver Shipping) and mine has an expected ship date of 3-29 :(

Crap. I ordered mine with Amazon Prime Release Date shipping. Let's see if it get's to me within a week...

Matchew

I bought it yesterday from amazon, and i got a email saying it as shipped. I got prime so I should get the email.

can't wait to get my copy tomorrow! I have to work late, but it's okay because I bought a pair of earbuds yesterday and my office door closes :lol

haven't gotten my email but Amazon charged my account today. I'm confident I'll get it tomorrow :D

MechaX

Yeah, I also got the call saying it'll be in by tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be done with Lost Odyssey by that time, because it would be nice to play a fun game (har har snark snark).

Gummy Panda

Neo Member
I have a lot of games on the go at the moment but I thought it best to import this while I have the chance rather then pay a higher price on eBay a few months down the line.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
MechaX said:
Yeah, I also got the call saying it'll be in by tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be done with Lost Odyssey by that time, because it would be nice to play a fun game (har har snark snark).
Ironically I just started Lost Odyssey this afternoon. :x I kinda feel bad dropping the game so soon, but fuck this is SMT4 we're talking about!

Archie said:
From what I've heard/viewed, the butt rock is pretty much gone and there is ominous 'epic' music. That disappoints me because I LOVE the butt rock in this series.
Hahah thanks bro. I too appreciate the butt rock. Im sure it will be good regardless.

Dresden

kafka rock opera said:
Hahah thanks bro. I too appreciate the butt rock. Im sure it will be good regardless.
As long as they keep the weirdly happy pop songs with terrible English, I'm still... what? They're gone? NOOOOO

commish said:
Some negative reviews have me hesitating....

Which? For what reason?

Reviews are getting pretty awful in some respects. Well, I guess they have been awful for a while now. There's the old "JRPG 7/10" bit, and honestly it is pretty true.

You also have to understand that this is a game that is based heavily in SMT I&II, two old and difficult dungeons crawlers. There's no Social Links or dating or towns with 30 minute cutscenes for every few minutes of dungeon. I'm exaggerating, but this seems to just put off certain reviewers. Read the import thread for impressions or find a good review by someone who is a long time fan of SMT (Destructoid review seemed pretty legit).

Tiktaalik

Freyjadour said:
Which? For what reason?

Reviews are getting pretty awful in some respects. Well, I guess they have been awful for a while now. There's the old "JRPG 7/10" bit, and honestly it is pretty true.

You also have to understand that this is a game that is based heavily in SMT I&II, two old and difficult dungeons crawlers. There's no Social Links or dating or towns with 30 minute cutscenes for every few minutes of dungeon. I'm exaggerating, but this seems to just put off certain reviewers. Read the import thread for impressions or find a good review by someone who is a long time fan of SMT (Destructoid review seemed pretty legit).

Interestingly from Metacritic Gamepro is the weakest review and the blurb says, "...those who take issue with the thematic elements, however, might want to go adventuring elsewhere."

That doesn't sound like they docked it marks for simply being an 8 bit JRPG. What thematic elements are they thinking of? Has anyone read that review and could describe it more?

Dresden

Tiktaalik said:
Interestingly from Metacritic Gamepro is the weakest review and the blurb says, "...those who take issue with the thematic elements, however, might want to go adventuring elsewhere."

That doesn't sound like they docked it marks for simply being an 8 bit JRPG. What thematic elements are they thinking of? Has anyone read that review and could describe it more?
Well, one review took points off for 'blasphemy,' so that might be it. :lol It's a SMT game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Freyjadour said:
Which? For what reason?

Most of the reviews have been 7's or 8's, not really terrible at all. If I didn't play RPG's that didn't score a 9 or 10 I wouldn't have played a lot of RPG's especially the niche japanese ones. Game Informer gave the game an 8.75

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Freyjadour said:
Which? For what reason?

you're right. i've been waiting a while for SJ, and I'm gonna pick it up. Usually I ignore reviews and user feedback and make up my own mind, but with so many games out the last few months, I've been trying to be more selective. Not that the reviews overall have been negative... pretty positive overall

Gattsu25

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Ridiculous concept, over-engineered systems with lots of "knobs and switches" (i.e. customization), dungeon crawling, and tons of numbers and stats. Basically everything good about Japanese RPG design.

Bought a DS just for this and Infinite Space.
I'm trying to find my DS recharger for the same reason.

Where the fuck did I put that thing nearly 1/2 a year ago? >_<

keanerie

I can't find my DS Lite so I guess I'm buying a DSi for this thing.

Do you guys think if I place an order on Amazon now it'll get to me tomorrow, or should I just venture over to the 'Stop after work?

Volcynika

keanerie said:
I can't find my DS Lite so I guess I'm buying a DSi for this thing.

Do you guys think if I place an order on Amazon now it'll get to me tomorrow, or should I just venture over to the 'Stop after work?

Unless you live right by a distribution center, you won't get it tomorrow.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't think you will be able to get it tomorrow if you bought it at Amazon. It is pretty late. :p

Edit: My game shipped out of Kentucky at 6 PM. I'm crossing my fingers it hits Georgia by lunch tomorrow!

Jenga

Banned
Alright, I'm trying to keep myself in the dark as much as possible for this game, I have one question.

Does this game have multiple endings? Silly question I know, nearly every other SMT besides Persona has had multiple endings, but I'm dying to know for Strange Journey.

keanerie

Volcynika said:
Unless you live right by a distribution center, you won't get it tomorrow.

I live in San Francisco. Is that by a distribution center, I wonder? Oh well, I can probably wait...BUT OH MY GOD I CAN'T.

Trojita said:
Most of the reviews have been 7's or 8's, not really terrible at all. If I didn't play RPG's that didn't score a 9 or 10 I wouldn't have played a lot of RPG's especially the niche japanese ones. Game Informer gave the game an 8.75

Missed my point. The problem with reviews of late is that far too many throw out 7/10 to every JRPG and aren't really all that informative. Therefore, "negative" reviews (like that Gamepro 7/10 I would suppose), just tend to be the norm these days. Who knows.

As far as the blurb goes, I guess it could be about the "blasphemous" :)lol) material, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has had the slightest bit of experience with Mega Ten.

Pezking

I'm very interested in this game, but I'm still not sure if I should get it.

I loved "Devil Survivor", but couldn't get into "Etrian Odyssey" at all. I really don't like dungeon crawlers.

I've tried to get into this genre numerous times since my good ol' C64 days, but it's hopeless. I just can't enjoy these games.

So...would you recommend this game to someone who liked "Devil Survivor" mainly for it's SRPG gameplay, the story and Yuzu's boobs?

atomsk

Party Pooper
gamestop didn't call me this time, but they did send me a text message :lol

will be picking up this afternoon

(but i need to finish Resonance of Fate first)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
xlb7e8.png

So close. ;_;

Pezking said:
I'm very interested in this game, but I'm still not sure if I should get it.

I loved "Devil Survivor", but couldn't get into "Etrian Odyssey" at all. I really don't like dungeon crawlers.

I've tried to get into this genre numerous times since my good ol' C64 days, but it's hopeless. I just can't enjoy these games.

So...would you recommend this game to someone who liked "Devil Survivor" mainly for it's SRPG gameplay, the story and Yuzu's boobs?
I'm gonna go ahead and say "no". This game is not an SRPG, the story is thematically very different, and Yuzu and her boobs are not anywhere to be found. Also it's an ultra dungeon crawl.

Pezking

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm gonna go ahead and say "no". This game is not an SRPG, the story is thematically very different, and Yuzu and her boobs are not anywhere to be found. Also it's an ultra dungeon crawl.

Thanks. I think you're right.

I totally see myself importing this game from the US, playing it for an hour, and then instantly selling it with a significant loss - just like I did with "Etrian Odyssey", which I found very appealing on first sight, but in the end, it turned out to be another game from a genre that I just don't enjoy.

I think regarding handheld RPGs, I just stick to "Infinite Space" (have to think about this one as well - it seems to be not that accessible, and I'm not really in the mood for overly complicated hardcore games right now) and "Dragon Quest IX" this summer. Maybe "Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow" as well.

jorgeton

Am holding off on buying this game until the DS XL comes out. I need my dungeon crawling to be large.

Dumb question: does every copy come with a soundtrack CD or is it only pre-ordered copies?

And re: review conversation -- I've stopped listening to what reviews say about any JRPG or RPG from japan (as this one is not a JRPG per-se). It seems like unless the RPG in question is from Bethesda or Bioware or Nintendo proper, it gets nit picked to death by reviewers. Sure, some are fair, but a lot go in expecting large open worlds and visible enemies and no grinding or complain if its too hard or if its to easy.

Anyway, I am super psyched for this game. The March RPG deluge continues to ravage my wallet...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm pretty sure the CD is for the first (and maybe only? :p) print. As far as I know, it is not a special preorder bonus or anything. You could probably pick up a copy today and it would come with the CD.

Lard

Banned
So I called *five* different stores today - no one has it.

Then I get told it's not even *shipping* until the 25th.

When the fuck is this game actually getting released?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I should probably be concerned that my package is "out for delivery" somewhere in Pennsylvania despite the fact that I live in NJ, right? *sighs*

Strange Journey GET!

Watching the intro right now! Been waiting on this baby since I beat Devil Survivor. Looking forward to the next few hours. :D

Edit: Played it for about 2 hours. Enjoying it so far.

I knew I shouldn't have started playing Infinite Space. It's going to get tossed aside like a used condom the moment I get my hands on my pre-ordered copy of Strange Journey.

Top Bottom