• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey The Official Thread of Minion and Demonica

I am so pissed :lol

I brought my DSi to work with me today and even bought a pair of earbuds because I thought this game was coming to my office. I was going to spend the whole afternoon locked in my office playing SMT.

Then I realized when I checked Amazon that I had asked the game to be shipped to my house instead :(

My wife says the box is really nice :(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Quick impressions for about one hour in:

There was a ton of dialogue for the first 30 minutes or so, but the story is very intriguing. Essentially a black hole has appeared in Antarctica and you have to figure out what's going on there. I still haven't unlocked fusion yet. I've just been able to begin negotiating with demons and I can already tell I will be spending a ton of time just negotiating and fusing.

Spoiler free version: The first half hour is fairly slow but it picks up alot.

The music is also very good, even though I still miss the butt rock :(

Edit: Just a few more thoughts (nothing story or gameplay related)

*I LOVE the automap system. I could not stand mapping in EO so this is a great addition.
*The second screen is used to display enemy weaknesses in battle which is great since I won't have to remember if something is weak to fire or what have you.
*I believe the game is running off the EO engine, but everything moves at a speedier pace. It is a good thing! :p

Reknoc

Finally, got my e-mail to say it's been shipped. Now to check the mail every day even though I know I wont get it till next week.

Link1110

Kishgal said:
The whole focus on dungeon exploration without any sort of third person sequences is the main thing. Of course there are all the modern conveniences, but no Megaten game has ever been a pure dungeon crawler since then.

Mechar

Neo Member
Lard said:
Got my copy - the soundtrack is defective. :(
Oh man, that's a shame. Hopefully, not many of the soundtracks out there are the same.

My copy just shipped from VG+, so it should be here this Friday or early next week. Also, 1UP has published their review,
A-

Gummy Panda

Neo Member
My copy just shipped from VG+. Canada to Ireland so probably won't have it till next week.

Gives time to finish some other games though

Lard said:
I want my soundtrack :(

I don't know whether to take it back or not. I haven't unsealed the game yet.
Did you get it from Gamestop? If so, you might be able to ask them to give you the CD from the display copy, if you can't exchange it.

When I open the CD on my computer, this is what I see.
313hpwz.jpg

2dj5a3n.jpg

I just copied the WAV files, converted them to FLAC, and then properly tagged them.

Baloonatic said:
So are they all like that? I guess it's ok as long as it's possible to get the songs from it some way.
I would imagine so. It would appear that someone at Atlus goofed up, though at the least the music is still accessible.

ninj4junpei said:
I would imagine so. It would appear that someone at Atlus goofed up, though at the least the music is still accessible.

I just didn't want to have to send off for a replacement as I'm in the UK.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Mejilan said:
Buh? The soundtrack CDs are data discs instead of audio discs?
Weird.

Uh oh. Sounds like someone hit the wrong button when the CDs were produced.

This same thing happened when Nippon Ichi released the soundtrack to Grim Grimoire - the CD had all AIF files instead of redbook. Naturally it wasn't supposed to be like that so they sent out replacements. Hopefully Atlus will do something similar.

Lard

Banned
Okay, I managed to get it ripped.

I'd still rather have it in on a working CD though, for audio quality if nothing else.

I like the pomposity of it.

Sex Murders in Tokyo. Off to a flying start!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm three hours in and the game keeps getting better and better. There are so many little things to do such as negotiation, fusion and decking out your suit.

Lard said:

I'd still rather have it in on a working CD though, for audio quality if nothing else.

Eh? The WAV files are as high a quality as you are going to get.
Fimbulvetr said:
Which one of those is the main battle theme(assuming it's there)?
I wouldn't know. I haven't played the game or listened to the music yet.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Lard said:

Wait, so it won't play in a CD player?

Bollocks. I guess I'll have to burn it to a proper CD.

Lard

Banned
I'd rather be able to play it in a CD player if I feel like it.

Anyway,
the ships are crashing. No Igor this time? :( Who are the three dudes?

Sallokin

This game just doesn't exist in Colorado Springs it seems. None of the local BBs, Game Stops or Game Crazy stores have it yet. BB doesn't even have it listed in their system.

Az987

all good things
UPS just delivered my game from Amazon. No receipt though hmm

Even weirder, the copy of Red Cliff International BD they gave me didn't have any plastic wrap.

Dresden

Az987 said:
UPS just delivered my game from Amazon. No receipt though hmm

Even weirder, the copy of Red Cliff International BD they gave me didn't have any plastic wrap.
Sounds like someone took it out for a test drive.

Nekobo

I picked up my pre-order from GameStop, but they didn't have the poster. :/ That was pretty much the only reason why I bothered pre-ordering it, since the game costs about the same on amazon. Blargh.

Did anyone get their poster with the game?

NichM

Banned
Nekobo said:
I picked up my pre-order from GameStop, but they didn't have the poster. :/ That was pretty much the only reason why I bothered pre-ordering it, since the game costs about the same on amazon. Blargh.

Did anyone get their poster with the game?

You got the poster. It's behind the cover art on the actual DS case.

Nekobo

NichM said:
You got the poster. It's behind the cover art on the actual DS case.

Ohh, thanks. Since some sites list it as an exclusive GS pre-order bonus, didn't think it'd be included in the game's packaging. I guess that means everybody gets it? If so, that's awesome.

I'll put up the poster next to my P4 poster. :)

Top Bottom