• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy an LG OLED C3?

FeralEcho

Hey everyone, I've had an LG OLED CX model for more than a year and while it has incredible clarity and picture quality I hate the colours on it or just feel like they are too washed out compared to my previous LG LED TV UJ model which is the best TV I've ever owned,with incredible colour reproduction.

My question now is...for those of you who've had both the CX and C3.Is there a big difference between them? Is it worth the upgrade? I want to get the 43 inch version as its pretty cheap right now but I'm on the fence whether or not the brightness and colour reproduction improved compared to the CX or what other improvements have been made.

Thanks in advance.

FeralEcho

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to calibrate it some more until i find the sweet spot.I was hoping there would be a bigger difference between them honestly.Hopefully QD Oled tech gets cheaper in a few years so i van upgrade to that.

Also need to do a pixel refresh on the thing as it hasnt done it in a while from what i noticed....should improve it a bit.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to calibrate it some more until i find the sweet spot.I was hoping there would be a bigger difference between them honestly.Hopefully QD Oled tech gets cheaper in a few years so i van upgrade to that.

Also need to do a pixel refresh on the thing as it hasnt done it in a while from what i noticed....should improve it a bit.

Just...put it in Vivid mode 😁

Jokes aside, I really can't understand your "problem", if you want the picture to "pop" you could always A) crank up the contrast, B) crank up colour saturation and C) with game optimizer ON, select one the presets which gives more "pop" like the "RPG" or "Sports" ones.

If you still don't find that "acceptable ", getting a C3 ain't gonna fix shit.

I'm a C2 owner and after fiddling with the various options by myself , I was able to find the sweet spot after 2-3 days of having it.

TLDNR : experiment with the various colour/contrast options , you're doing something wrong

Kupfer

Each time you switch off the device after a 4-hour or longer session, a pixel refresh is performed automatically.
This is the reason why the TV should be connected to the power wall outlet all the time and why you should not switch off the power strip immediately after switching off the TV.

Also do not confuse the correct setup with a calibration. A calibration is far more complex than "just" making the correct settings in the menu.

Here are two videos about calibration.

Like I wrote, at first try to follow the steps in my first post. Maybe that will give you a better picture.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Hey everyone, I've had an LG OLED CX model for more than a year and while it has incredible clarity and picture quality I hate the colours on it or just feel like they are too washed out compared to my previous LG LED TV UJ model which is the best TV I've ever owned,with incredible colour reproduction.

My question now is...for those of you who've had both the CX and C3.Is there a big difference between them? Is it worth the upgrade? I want to get the 43 inch version as its pretty cheap right now but I'm on the fence whether or not the brightness and colour reproduction improved compared to the CX or what other improvements have been made.

Thanks in advance.
No. It reads like when you mention colours you're possibly really meaning luminance and the perceived increased impact of colour that can come with it. You'd need to go to either with a G3 (not 83" size) or a QD-OLED for emissive based luminance improvements. Or look at some of the many mini-led options. If price constrained and emissive too expensive, you may find the mini-led's deliver what you're after. As always, get your own eyes on. And try and get a personal demo.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Thanks in advance.
If you have the CX and hoping the C3 is a dramatic upgrade its not

I am in the smaller camp that a good mini LED TV will pop and blow you away more than anything OLED has to offer and I have OLED and mini LED displays

Take a look at the Samsung QN90C and especially if its a store that you live close to and can return easy the best way to tell is get it home and play with it a few days

Looking at sites like Best Buy seems the QN90C is about the same price as the C3 in 43"

Kuranghi

Calibration should be your first port of call certainly. Do that before buying something new so soon after purchasing the CX.

I would suggest MiniLED for more bright scene colour vibrance as some have already said above.

It sounds like you're limited to 42/43 or 48/50" from your post, so if you cant go to 55" then stick with OLED because otherwise you're only MiniLED option is QN90C and long story short game mode is fucked on Neo QLED since its inception + its bright scene performance in 43/50" isn't as good as the larger sizes.

QD-OLED or LG G3 is noticeably brighter for colours vs C style OLED but it's 55"+ and also still has the bright scene limitations any OLED has.

If you can do 55" then look at Hisense U8K if you want to spend the same as what a 42C3 costs.

BodhiHogie

Neo Member
Just got a 77" C3 this week. My mother has 55" CX at her house, and I can't tell the difference in the time it takes to move from one place to another. For the previous 6 years I've used a 65" KS8000, and I think I like that one just as much as my new OLED. In hindsight, I'm not sure I would have even upgraded.

I do appreciate the hdmi 2.1 and 120 FPS experience on the OLED, and the larger screen is nice too.

Last edited:

violence

I have a C9. If I turn on VRR on PS5 or Series consoles, the colors will be more washed out. The only fix is turning it off or using PC mode. But PC mode on this TV causes banding. So it’s pick your poison. This may have been fixed on later models.

Last edited:
I have the Samsung S95B OP and that's one of the reasons I picked it over the LG C2. Would've preferred the Sony A95K as it has the same Samsung QD-OLED panel, but with a better image processor and also DV. Just couldn't justify the hefty price difference between them. I'll probably upgrade in 3-4 years anyways.

FeralEcho

Yeah I'm thinking of saving up a few more months and get either a G3 or the Samsung S95C.I don't know,for me colours and image quality are equally as important more so than all these features the new tvs come with.

I'd trade VRR for out of the box colour accuracy anyday.

Xtib81

Yeah I'm thinking of saving up a few more months and get either a G3 or the Samsung S95C.I don't know,for me colours and image quality are equally as important more so than all these features the new tvs come with.

I'd trade VRR for out of the box colour accuracy anyday.

You should have interesting deals for black friday/christmas.

Whitecrow

Banned
Check RGB range.
Console Limited -> TV Low
Console Complete -> TV High

Also, console mode > PC mode in terms of color accuracy. LG OLED suck at PC mode even if you get full 4:4:4 chroma.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a B7 (or maybe the B6, I cant remember) I got when the PS4 Pro came out and while I know it lacks a lot of features in today's TVs I am no rush to upgrade, it still looks great. I'll replace it when it breaks.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
If you're looking to upgrade NOW you should look into a QD-OLED panel this year, it will give you the wow factor you're looking for. If you can wait until next year as LG is going to take a pretty big leap with their 2024 tvs.

feel like they are too washed out
check the obvious first, jabroni :messenger_alien_monster:
  • ensure power saving mode is off (this setting can severely limit brightness/contrast).
  • ensure you're suing a "picture mode" you prefer (picture modes affect a ton of stuff). start with ISF bright room.
  • ensure gamma isnt too high. start with bt.1886.
  • ensure HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color is enabled.
  • if you want even more depth, try setting black level to "limited".

FeralEcho

Check RGB range.
Console Limited -> TV Low
Console Complete -> TV High

Also, console mode > PC mode in terms of color accuracy. LG OLED suck at PC mode even if you get full 4:4:4 chroma.
Yeah I did notice how PC mode looks like shit compared to my LED.

And I know about the rgb but thanks.yeah,you get crushed blacks on Oled if you don't select high.

FeralEcho

check the obvious first, jabroni :messenger_alien_monster:
  • ensure power saving mode is off (this setting can severely limit brightness/contrast).
  • ensure you're suing a "picture mode" you prefer (picture modes affect a ton of stuff). start with ISF bright room.
  • ensure gamma isnt too high. start with bt.1886.
  • ensure HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color is enabled.
  • if you want even more depth, try setting black level to "limited".
Already did and tried all those things,this insn't my first rodeo with a TV.I've been calibrating my TVs to perfection before.I just can't seem to get the same colour accuracy with the oled and I've fiddled with the RGB settings and white ratios as well.

saintjules

Something is wrong with your calibration. I have the CX and it’s not washed out at all.

Most of the time when people complain about washouts it's because they haven't calibrated their TV, so I definitely agree there.

I have C9 and its great. I won't be upgrading for the remainder of this gen.

I have a C9 and wondering if there's a significant jump to getting a C2 or C3 at this point?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Most of the time when people complain about washouts it's because of calibration, so I definitely agree there.

I have a C9 and wondering if there's a significant jump to getting a C2 or something at this point?
As someone who has a 77" C9 and have played with a lot of the newer OLEDs here in my house I can assure you there is no significant jump moving to the C2 if your C9 is still working great

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Most of the time when people complain about washouts it's because of calibration, so I definitely agree there.

I have a C9 and wondering if there's a significant jump to getting a C2 or something at this point?
It has some additional gaming features over the C9, but I can't say it's a necessary upgrade since most of the HDMI 2.1 features you care about are present in both models.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Thanks in advance.
Let me guess. You’re playing games on “game mode”?

That shit is ugly as hell and mutes all contrast and color. It’s only good for latency. But actual image quality? Trash.

Stop listening to these number loving industry nerds and put that shit on either Vivid mode or Filmmaker mode, adjust the colours to your own liking, on a per game basis. I have custom settings in these modes for every game I play.

If the game has a lot of color, like horizon, I put it on vivid mode and fine tune.

If the game is dark and moody, like Alan wake, I put it in filmmaker mode and fine tune the colors and sharpness until it looks amazing

If you listen to guys like HDTV, they’ll tell you to put on game mode and call it a day. It looks like trash

Last edited:

saintjules

As someone who has a 77" C9 and have played with a lot of the newer OLEDs here in my house I can assure you there is no significant jump moving to the C2 if your C9 is still working great
It has some additional gaming features over the C9, but I can't say it's a necessary upgrade since most of the HDMI 2.1 features you care about are present in both models.

Thanks Guys. Guess I'll stay put!

FeralEcho

That shit is ugly as hell and mutes all contrast and color. It’s only good for latency. But actual image quality? Trash.

Stop listening to these number loving industry nerds and put that shit on either Vivid mode or Filmmaker mode, adjust the colours to your own liking, on a per game basis. I have custom settings in these modes for every game I play.

If the game has a lot of color, like horizon, I put it on vivid mode and fine tune.

If the game is dark and moody, like Alan wake, I put it in filmmaker mode and fine tune the colors and sharpness until it looks amazing

If you listen to guys like HDTV, they’ll tell you to put on game mode and call it a day. It looks like trash
I definitely agree with you in that calibrations on these big sites like rtings and youtubers like HDTV are dogshit.Anyone who recommends me to keep my oled in warm 2 white balance and 0 sharpness has no idea wtf they are doing.Its like taking a yellow piss filter all over your tv and smearing it with grease.

I keep mine at 25 sharpness,high super resolution,and cold white balance and it looks stunning picture quality wise,its the cleanest thing I've seen,the issue is the colours as I can't make them pop like on my LED which is why i was hoping a newer model would fix that.

Whitecrow

Banned

Sorry, but saying you play games on vivid, and giving advice to others, is quite the dissonance.
Also, game mode does absolutely nothing to the image if the settings are correct.

You clearly dont have a clue of what are you talking about,so please dont spread misinformation.

FeralEcho

Sorry, but saying you play games on vivid, and giving advice to others, is quite the dissonance.
Also, game mode does absolutely nothing to the image if the settings are correct.

You clearly dont have a clue of what are you talking about,so please dont spread misinformation.
Yeah i do play in game mode,the brightness does take a hit and it disables your peak brightness so i can see where he's coming with that but yeah anyother mode other than game mode on these tvs will make latency unbearable.

Whitecrow

Banned
I definitely agree with you in that calibrations on these big sites like rtings and youtubers like HDTV are dogshit.Anyone who recommends me to keep my oled in warm 2 white balance and 0 sharpness has no idea wtf they are doing.Its like taking a yellow piss filter all over your tv and smearing it with grease.

I keep mine at 25 sharpness,high super resolution,and cold white balance and it looks stunning picture quality wise,its the cleanest thing I've seen,the issue is the colours as I can't make them pop like on my LED which is why i was hoping a newer model would fix that.
No, you have no idea what are you looking at. Rec709 / sRGB Color spaces define a 6500k white point, and warm 2 is the closest.

But sure, if you only care about colors poping out instead of accuracy sure, mantain that blue tint. But dont tell others that your preferences are better than the standards some games shows and movies are graded at.

And 25 sharpness my god... Tell me you use glasses or lenses, theres no way that can look good with good vision.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

The OP is complaining about washed out colors and you’re suggesting he continue play on game mode, because science. I’m not the one giving out bad info.

Eye test> numbers.

Switch to a mode with more vibrant colors, fine tune to your own liking, and his issue would be solved.

Game mode disables a whole bunch of features in order to have good latency. But the actual image quality takes a hit

Last edited:
Eye test> numbers.
its your tv, make it look nice to your eyes, sure.

but also realize your eyes adjust to things over time (which sucks), so fast-swapping between settings isnt the final word.

to a lot of people, warm1 and warm2 look like dumbest crap ever when you first switch to it.
but then you get used to it, and it makes the cool color temps look like artificial trash.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I have an LG CX but just upgraded my bedroom TV to the Samsung S90C and now I'm wondering why my CX looks like shit, even after going through the calibration stuff from HDTVTest years ago.

tr1p1ex

Meh you get used to whatever. The person with the best tv already is over it after a month or two.

Save your pennies. Strike when the price is right. And I mean really right. And when you upgrade make sure it is a very very meaningful upgrade.

Last edited:

Meifu

I've had a C1 for a couple years now and it's elite. I would pick that up if ur trying to save some cash, minimal difference for way less

S0ULZB0URNE

Thanks in advance.
No...

Get the better picture having,award winning Sony A95L.

Depending on where you live...I would also consider Panasonics 2023 OLED over the C3.

Top Bottom