• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we be empathetic to Glen Schofield?

Which one will they buy first?

• Dead space

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • The Callisto protocol

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
After 2 days of sales with the Dead Space Video Game, it has been one of the best games of this year, but with the arrival of The Callisto protocol, it has not had the same luck.

Imagine you created a great I.P. That they took it from you, but you create a similar game and it doesn't succeed, while the creation of Dead space does.

il_570xN.3682339768_fdjo.jpg

Will we support Glen Schofield or buy Dead space remake...?

I'm going to buy the Remake of Dead space xD

Why do you think the sales of Callisto protocol were not enough?

EDMIX

no.

reap what you sow.

He could have also had a upgrade path, skipped having some season pass to put animations behind a paywall and had it with zero mtx. Callisto Protocol is a new IP that got off to all the fucking wrong foots one can get off from. Tech issues, paywall mtx shit, no one should be surprised by this.

From what I've seen, this game isn't the successor to Dead Space, its literally lessor then it and cost more just to get the complete thing. As far as I'm concerned, he tried to fucking sell this game off of sympathy and based on working on Dead Space hoping that people would just believe anything he said and buy it based on "emotion" alone or something. He used that to try to get sales. Just cause your game is not published by EA, doesn't magically mean you are honest, have no tricks and don't have any questionable practices. In terms of scummy practices thus far this gen, this game is at the very top right now imho.

mtx with animations? I thought I heard it all...

Last edited:

decisions

I bought both games at full-price.

Compared to the time-wasting garbage we see from 75% of AAA these days, both of these games were easily worth my money.

I think reviewers thought that Callisto was a shooter in the same way that Dead Space is, when actually the game is much more about using all 3 of your attack options in a more even, balanced manner. This probably led to them getting frustrated and complaining the game was designed worse than it was. If they get a chance to expand on this more they could have a really unique system, kind of like The Last of Us but in a true horror setting and with kinesis.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
no.

reap what you sow.

He could have also had a upgrade path, skipped having some season pass to put animations behind a paywall and had it with zero mtx. Callisto Protocol is a new IP that got off to all the fucking wrong foots one can get off from. Tech issues, paywall mtx shit, no one should be surprised by this.

From what I've seen, this game isn't the successor to Dead Space, its literally lessor then it and cost more just to get the complete thing. As far as I'm concerned, he tried to fucking sell this game off of sympathy and based on working on Dead Space hoping that people would just believe anything he said and buy it based on "emotion" alone or something. He used that to try to get sales. Just cause your game is not published by EA, doesn't magically mean you are honest, have no tricks and don't have any questionable practices. In terms of scummy practices thus far this gen, this game is at the very top right now imho.

mtx with animations? I thought I heard it all...
This

Fuck him

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The problem was that he was overconfident with his product.

Needed more crunch.
Good ideas, rarely happened from crunch, crunch is worth when you have a good ideas to begin with, that "fight system" was trash from the start. And the whole thing felt more like a fun project or that he has folks who helped shaped him, what Dead Space makes great.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I paid full price day one for Callisto. No regrets, gonna go back for NG+

Catch me in six months paying for bargain bin Dead Space with a graphical overhaul of a game still perfectly playable today.

The Stig

Im a little empathetic. Once the reviews were out and I saw the gameplay was paper thin, I watched the game as a movie on youtube. I found the setting, graphics and some of the acting to be great.

I genuinely want to know more about the pathogen/parasite thingy and the secret society behind it all. I also thought captain ferris was really cool and wish there was more of him.

Simply because of the story and setting Im sad there almost certainly wont be a sequel.

will likely never buy either - the combat in callisto looks/sounds boring to me, & i'm quite happy with the original dead space...

SJRB

Gold Member
What the fuck? No, we shouldn't.

In fact we should stop revering game directors as some bizarre seal of quality as if they're single-handedly responsible for a game's success. Schofield, Cliffy, Clint Hocking, Ken Levine, Jade Raymond.

Freeza93

Banned
i do like him.

but something went wrong. but i have to say i enjoyed callisto. Sure its no hit or something but its fun for a playthrough.

……but nice try glen yes we forgive you now make a second game and prove them wrong💪🏼

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Why would I feel anything for people who simply charge me money to access their goods and/or services? I pay my money, they provide said good or service, either I enjoy it or not. I don't feel I owe them something - that's what the money was for.

With The Callisto Protocol, Glenn tried to copy/paste Dead Space away from EA. From a presentation standpoint, The Callisto Protocol runs circles around the Dead Space remake. Visually, it's absolutely top tier stuff. However, the combat was poorly designed, the AI was mostly terrible, and, frankly, it just wasn't all that scary. I don't feel I owe Glenn anything - nor does he owe me anything. Again, that's what the money was for. It's a decent 7/10 game that I hope gets a chance at a sequel to correct its flaws. Not sure what else can be said?

wipeout364

I haven’t played dead space the remake yet but Callisto Protocol was fantastic. Not sure why people are hating on it, I thought it was great to have a new survival horror IP.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dead Space Remake knows what it is and does everything to enhance what the original game was. It expands levels, it adds in lore from sequels to make things more understandable, while not going too off the wall. It also knows the constraints and designs its graphical fidelity around those constraints.

Callisto Protocol tries to go above and beyond what it can afford, put emphasis on things that were not important (graphical fidelity, "AAAA" gaming) instead of focusing on what made the original game so fantastic: A simple premise and doing everything they can with that premise.

Rac3r

I enjoyed Callisto but sadly Schofield didn't improve on his work from Dead Space, and clearly regressed in some ways. Callisto lacks an identity. It borrows way too much from Dead Space in terms of aesthetic, but feels so much more clunkier. They also tried to add tension by slowing down the pace, but instead of going all-in on an Alien Isolation-esque atmosphere, they settled for repetitive jump scares to add horror (which completely failed). The enemy variety wasn't very imaginative either.

The budget for this game was over 150 million, but development only lasted 3 years (very short by today's standards for a AAA game). Schofield should've done something more novel instead of a Dead Space clone, but it's possible he had to narrow his vision due to deadlines set by Krafton.

Callisto looks stunning at times, no doubt, but that's the only thing it does better than Dead Space.

Last edited:

theHFIC

I am not a horror fan so I probably won't play either, but between the two I would go with Callisto Protocol to do the whole "speak with my wallet" thing to encourage more new titles rather than wave after wave of remake and remaster.

Jaybe

No, Glen seems to have a massive ego, hell his Wiki page even dives into the nuances of his workout routines. He'll be fine and this type of setback will probably fuel a guy like this to come back stronger. At least Callisto had December to itself for the most part and released prior to Dead Space remake. Could have been worse for them if the heavy hitters that were planned (Starfield, Hogwarts) didn't get pushed out to 2023.

Last edited:

digdug2

I'm empathetic toward the team that made Callisto Protocol, but not toward Glen Schofield himself. Especially after his tweet glorifying crunch mode. Sure, there is more often than not a sprint at the end of the race to make sure you hit the finish line on time, but him saying, "U do it cause ya luv it," is callous. I wish that their game had been put back into the oven for a bit longer, but I understand their need to get out in front of the Dead Space remake, even though it didn't make a bit of difference at the end of the day.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Dead Space happened thanks to Glen and his team. So, he and his team will always have my respect. Callisto Protocol just needed... some more meat on the bone. But I don't think the game deserved the flak it got, IMO. It's an adequate game, not amazing, not horrible, just fine. Dead Space is just a better game, and more fun IMO.

I loved Visceral so much, and I hate how they were treated by EA, no doubt about that. I wanted Callisto to be a better game for the sake of Glen and his team, as it would've been an awesome turn of events for them.

Edder1

Glen fell on his own sword by overhyping CP and making way too many false promises. He said the game was survival horror and it wasn't; he said the story would be way more richer than in DS and it wasn't; he hid the fact that the game was melee focused with most gameplay videos showing the game to be shooting focused. I mean the guys at Striking Distance didn't even have confidence in their main game mechanic and made the game seem like it's something else, that kinda says everything The game had way too much hype and devs made way too many promises. Schofield also made a huge mistake by making all these comparisons to DS and then making a game that was nothing like it. I also think Schofield is somewhat overhyped. The guy made two highly regarded games in DS and DS2, the rest of his games are largely forgettable, including the very disappointing DS3.

Last edited:

Edder1

I think EA is to blame also for DS3 fail: MTX, DLC, CO-OP, Action oriented...
Schofield and co are still to blame for the poor story arc and direction of the game. He also had a choice of leaving and not agreeing to some of the conditions EA set, but he chose to make the game and should take his share of the blame. Also it's strange to see CP being so action oriented, so I'm not too sure how much EA forced more action in DS3. We already saw DS franchise being more focused on action and set pieces in DS2.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

He's had a great career and will go on to work on other projects, doubt he really cares. He did what he did for Dead Space and no one can take that away from him so I if I was him I wouldn't be too upset.

Kacho

Not really. Every creative person serves up a stinker from time to time. I hope he gets another chance with a sequel.

Jennings

Yes, he deserves empathy. He's still a human being with hopes and dreams, goals and a vision. He laughs and he cries, he eats and he poops. He's not a robot following a script, he wants to do the best job he can, even when his best isn't good enough. To lack empathy for him would say more about any of us than it would about him.

And one can still get the Dead Space remake and appreciate his work, because the game is still his baby at heart. It's still a win for him no matter which title you choose.

ZoukGalaxy

You sure?

Yet all that shit including season passes and shit is in Callisto Protocol and not Dead Space remake...
Can't tell 100% obviously but remember that's EA that closed Visceral Games, so, EA is to blame also 😹

About content in CP, meanwhile MTX and DLC became a "norm", so we can't really compare when we find them in most of games nowadays, SADLY.
Back in time on Xbox 360/PS3, this was more an exception that a norm, and EA was very aggressive on MTX and DLC, you could buy ressources to go "faster" in DS3 than collecting them ingame.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
I agree. And I was in the camp that CP would be the better game. At the end of the day CP didn't do enough to differentiate from its predecessor and a 15 year old game bested it pretty soundly.
And here in lies the problem. People judging Callisto like it’s supposed to be the next evolution of Dead Space. It’s not. Callisto is it’s own game and if you go into it knowing that it is it’s own game it’s a very good game. Also people saying they pay walled animations must have reading comprehension issues. There will be new animations in the DLC that is being made which was clarified. New enemy types new death animations Jesus Christ.

Top Bottom