• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we be empathetic to Glen Schofield?

Which one will they buy first?

• Dead space

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • The Callisto protocol

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters

Edder1

And here in lies the problem. People judging Callisto like it’s supposed to be the next evolution of Dead Space. It’s not. Callisto is it’s own game and if you go into it knowing that it is it’s own game it’s a very good game.
It wasn't "people" who made to CP to be the next DS, it was Schofield who made massive DS references right from the reveal trailer. He wanted to build up hype that CP was a spiritual successor to DS and that's why the game was always compared to DS. Schofield also misled people to think the game was survival horror and was building hype off of that. It would have been better to pitch CP as its own thing and present it as such and be more transparent what the game is and what its primary mechanics are.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Can't tell 100% obviously

yet EA is to blame for MTX in Dead Space 3 , but shits MTX in CP are not to be blamed on Glen?

About content in CP, meanwhile MTX and DLC became a "norm", so we can't really compare when we find them in most of games nowadays, SADLY.

Its not in Dead Space remake.....

EA was very aggressive on MTX and DLC, you could buy ressources to go "faster" in DS3 than collecting them ingame.

yea....yet its Dead Space remake with zero of any of that and Callisto Protocol with season passes and mtx with death animations.

So I'm not so sure we can just pretend that was solely 100% JUST EA as Glen goes from one IP to the next, yet all that dlc, mtx, season pass shit goes with him, yet Dead Space Remake has none of that.

That sounds more like Glen is more ok with that at this point lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
By all accounts, Schofield made the game he wanted to make, which is the best you can hope for. It didn't work out totally, wouldn't surprise me if the game becomes a cult classic type in a few years because that often happens. It is how it goes. He'll be fine.

Ultimately this Dead Space game getting raves is like 95% based on his team's prior work so I am sure he gets some sort of satisfaction around that.

RafterXL

And here in lies the problem. People judging Callisto like it’s supposed to be the next evolution of Dead Space. It’s not. Callisto is it’s own game and if you go into it knowing that it is it’s own game it’s a very good game. Also people saying they pay walled animations must have reading comprehension issues. There will be new animations in the DLC that is being made which was clarified. New enemy types new death animations Jesus Christ.
You been living under a rock the last couple years?

People judged CP as it compares to DS because the fucking director of the game invoked Dead Spaces' name at every opportunity and used it as a way to promote CP. It if wasn't "from the guy who made Dead Space" it was "spiritual successor to Dead Space" or a hundred different ways Schofield used Dead Space to compare, contrast and promote his new game.

He got what he wanted, it just didn't turn out exactly how he thought it would. People using Dead Space to shit all over Callisto Protocol isn't their fault it's his.

You're right about one thing, though, CP is 100% not an evolution of Dead Space. It literally feels like the game that came out first and Dead Space feels like the better, more refined sequel. It's barebones as fuck and you've seen it all 30 minutes into the game.

Kacho

Waiting for a $30-40 sale before I grab Callisto Protocol personally. I want to play it but $70 is a tough pill to swallow.

OsirisBlack

Banned
You been living under a rock the last couple years?

People judged CP as it compares to DS because the fucking director of the game invoked Dead Spaces' name at every opportunity and used it as a way to promote CP. It if wasn't "from the guy who made Dead Space" it was "spiritual successor to Dead Space" or a hundred different ways Schofield used Dead Space to compare, contrast and promote his new game.

He got what he wanted, it just didn't turn out exactly how he thought it would. People using Dead Space to shit all over Callisto Protocol isn't their fault it's his.

You're right about one thing, though, CP is 100% not an evolution of Dead Space. It literally feels like the game that came out first and Dead Space feels like the better, more refined sequel. It's barebones as fuck and you've seen it all 30 minutes into the game.
I didn’t see him make comparisons I went in without watching everything they released so I just judged it on what it was. About seeing it all in the first thirty minutes that’s interesting, I didn’t get the gravity weapon or assault rifle in the first 30 minutes. Or get to the level where you cross the bridge then can use the elevation to your advantage vs the enemies in the first 30 minutes either. The combat doesn’t even open up in the game until you upgrade to attack more than three times and get the counter sweep. That is pretty crappy it would be better if that did happen in the first 30 minutes.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Being completely uninformed about the details and personalities involved, but when I look at the Callisto Protocol, did the same thing happen to Back 4 Blood? To my casual observations there seems to be a lot of parallels around not understanding the nuances of what made these good.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
The Dead Space remake went through a Big Brother woke committee and came out the other end tainted, I won't ever buy it, especially as the original holds up well on PC and is free of "The Message".

The Calisto Protocol was disappointing to be sure, but it looks appealing enough to get it on a sale sometime.

digdug2

Quick question, does anyone else remember when Callisto Protocol was referred to as a AAAA game? They were deceiving consumers the entire time that they were stringing us along.

DCTazb0.jpg

Killer8

I really didn't enjoy Callisto Protocol because of the tedious combat, and the Dead Space remake is also terrible. Nobody won.

BbMajor7th

At bottom, The Callisto Protocol just isn't as a good a game as Dead Space. In fact, I thought it was pretty bad in most respects - most damningly in the gameplay department.

Great survival horror pitches the difficulty so that you always feel like you're just about scraping by, but never actually blocked that often: that's what creates the tension, the feeling that you're always an inch from death. CP wanted you to die and die often - to overcome sectional challenges through repetition - and this is clear from the elaborate death animations. This can be a fine design approach in certain types of games - to master encounters through repetition - but it could not be a worse design choice in a cinematic horror game, because it absolutely nukes the tension.

This is a failure of design so blatant, it can really only be expected to fail. I'm not a game designer and this leapt out at me after I died three times in the first encounter. I put it down to it being a tutorialising moment and assumed they wouldn't be stupid enough to make it a consistent foundation of the gameloop. I was wrong. You can throw all the flashy character models and RTX at a game you want, but if you fail to focus on making that core loop create the effect it's supposed to, then you really have no business being surprised when people don't like it.

ZoukGalaxy

yet EA is to blame for MTX in Dead Space 3 , but shits MTX in CP are not to be blamed on Glen?

Its not in Dead Space remake.....

yea....yet its Dead Space remake with zero of any of that and Callisto Protocol with season passes and mtx with death animations.

So I'm not so sure we can just pretend that was solely 100% JUST EA as Glen goes from one IP to the next, yet all that dlc, mtx, season pass shit goes with him, yet Dead Space Remake has none of that.

That sounds more like Glen is more ok with that at this point lol
Are you going to quote endlessly every part of my answer buddy ?😹

Why would you blame him ? Why are you so mad about this person ? Why defend EA when we all know all their constant shitty practives they did and they DO.
Yes it's not in Dead Space, for now, but we still had "pre-order bonus" shitty practices (costumes...), how ridiculous it is, also, Dead Space is REMAKE, not a new game, that's totally unfair to make this comparison, we all expect for a REMAKE to get ALL the game and content, it's a standard practice. So focusing on this single aspect "Hey, they're no MTX in Dead Space REMAKE in comparison to Callisto Protocol" is really worthless.

No offense but I'm not going in an endless quotes war with you buddy. Let's just disagree.

EDMIX

Why would you blame him ?

its his game..

Why defend EA when we all know all their constant shitty practiv

Cause Dead Space Remake doesn't have any of the shit that Callisto Protocol has.

Its trying to fucking argue over perception vs reality. You are more interested in the idea of "big BAD EA" then the factual practices done, its why you don't want to talk about what was done with Callisto Protocol with season passes, dlc, mtx and shit behind paywalls.

I mean, you are trying to talk about Dead Space 3 from 10 years ago, more then you are trying to talking about the actual topic of Callisto Protocol TODAY.

Dead Space Remake doesn't have any of this shit buddy.

Its not 10 years ago and you are trying to fucking argue about "was" to ignore what Glen is currently doing.

So it seems its only bad when EA did it 10 years ago, but perfectly the norm when Glen does it today, even with EA not doing this with many of their single player titles.

So...Dead Space Remake has zero MTX, zero DLC, zero Season pass and no animations behind a pay wall. You are going to have to fucking deal with that fact. So yea, I'll 100% defend and support a game releasing this way bud and looking at the low sales of Callisto Protocol, its clear many won't support that type of scummy behavior. So lets stay on topic of what is currently happening at both companies instead of this "was" or "10 years ago" shit as that argument has no relevance in 2023.

EDMIX

Callisto Protocol has no MTX as far as I'm aware. It has a few bundles and story DLC.

I consider them death animations mtx, regardless it has the dlc, season pass etc which is the general point I'm making.

I don't think any of that stops it from being a good game, merely that its ironic that this game did that and Dead Space remake didn't. I'll still pick it up, but for $25 bucks or less. I think its different when its a title this short, any major RPG like Witcher or those AC titles can do big DLC type things and its generally accepted cause you are getting hundreds of hours of base content anyway, but to have a horror title this short, it makes it feel like the whole plan was to release this short experience and then milk people for the rest.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Callisto appears to bail the atmosphere but takes some serious stumbles with the actual gameplay. It’s a real shame. Dead Space is the smart buy. Callisto might be worth it half off.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I consider them death animations mtx, regardless it has the dlc, season pass etc which is the general point I'm making.

I don't think any of that stops it from being a good game, merely that its ironic that this game did that and Dead Space remake didn't. I'll still pick it up, but for $25 bucks or less.
I would agree if the animations were sold as individual things, but they are tied directly to the DLC content. So the new enemies/locations will have new death animations.

It is a bit surprising to see the remake with no cosmetics or anything as DLC or some kind of shop coming from EA. Then again, they probably have that stuff planned for future titles.

Puscifer

no.

reap what you sow.

He could have also had a upgrade path, skipped having some season pass to put animations behind a paywall and had it with zero mtx. Callisto Protocol is a new IP that got off to all the fucking wrong foots one can get off from. Tech issues, paywall mtx shit, no one should be surprised by this.

From what I've seen, this game isn't the successor to Dead Space, its literally lessor then it and cost more just to get the complete thing. As far as I'm concerned, he tried to fucking sell this game off of sympathy and based on working on Dead Space hoping that people would just believe anything he said and buy it based on "emotion" alone or something. He used that to try to get sales. Just cause your game is not published by EA, doesn't magically mean you are honest, have no tricks and don't have any questionable practices. In terms of scummy practices thus far this gen, this game is at the very top right now imho.

mtx with animations? I thought I heard it all...
Just a reminder he got 60 million dollars more than TLOU PT 2. In addition, I'm going to just say when you really start reading about the making of the original Dead Space everyone keeping him in check is probably the only reason we have the original to begin with.

digdug2

I don't think any of that stops it from being a good game, merely that its ironic that this game did that and Dead Space remake didn't. I'll still pick it up, but for $25 bucks or less. I think its different when its a title this short, any major RPG like Witcher or those AC titles can do big DLC type things and its generally accepted cause you are getting hundreds of hours of base content anyway, but to have a horror title this short, it makes it feel like the whole plan was to release this short experience and then milk people for the rest.
What do you mean that you don't want to pay extra money for a few more death animations? My favorite part about this was that they were talking about selling extra death animations before the game even released. Cash grab, through and through.

EDMIX

I would agree if the animations were sold as individual things, but they are tied directly to the DLC content. So the new enemies/locations will have new death animations.

It is a bit surprising to see the remake with no cosmetics or anything as DLC or some kind of shop coming from EA. Then again, they probably have that stuff planned for future titles.

I'm not too sure.

We've been seeing the "Free dlc" or "no season" or something EA for a while now with titles like Titanfall 2, Battlefront 2, Battlefield V, 2042, Star Wars Fallen Order etc, so Dead Space remake not having that or the next Star Wars Fallen Order not having that at this point should be surprising. So I don't know what EA has planned for the future with a lot of this, but I think for the most part we'll continue to see this type of release as this game is easily selling better then Calliso Protocol which shows consumers don't want to deal with all of that.

So its not to say you won't see some large dlc thing for Mass Effect 5 or Dragon Age 4, as with RPGs its sorta expected, merely that the shorter single player stuff, it remains to be seen if they'll continue those same things as that hasn't been the norm for their single player titles for some time now.

Top Bottom