• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shpeshal_Nick: Uncharted Drake fortune Remake is in the works

SkylineRKR

Yeah this is fairly ridiculous. ND itself is still absent and likely won't release something before the PS5 hits its 4th anniversary. But lets just remake their portfolio despite all of them having PS4 remasters as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
ND is the most boring ass AAA studio Sony has at this point. Remasters and remakes. That should be the studios name at this point.
They spent 5+ years and nine figures making Factions, which got shit canned. And yea I know they claim they were working on lots of shit, I think they're lying, at least in terms of where their primary resources were being deployed. It's like Metroid Prime 4, you restart development on a game, it's a long long time before it comes out.

If true, fuck off

JUST. FUCK. RIGHT. OFF !!!

This studio is a fucking joke.

Sorry for the F bombs but this pisses me off. We're how many years into the new gen and what does ND have to show for it? Fuck all.

Last edited:

Vick

or Folklore...
star wars GIF

Svejk

I believe we all can think of at least 100 other games that could use a Remake instead, if any.

Ogbert

This is why Nintendo are the best in terms of game development.

They take risks with their IPs. They change approach and reinvent with each generation.

Sony are amazing when it comes to hardware but they are the most fucking boring and conservative publisher when it comes to game development.

And it’s about time this shit got called out in the same way that CoD does.

Last edited:

angrod14

They would need to completely revamp the whole game in order for it to work in this time and age. Animations, level design, encounters, melee, shooting mechanics, everything is super outdated. It's not just the graphics that need work.

And whoever is in charge of this will be judged under ND's standards, so good luck with that.

Last edited:

Hudo

Uncharted Remastered.

At least it will be vastly better than TLoU2. Unless Druckmann decides to """""improve""""" the script with his bullshit.

kiphalfton

Although I liked God of War (2018), it was padded with too much bullshit.

When you can beat the original trilogy in the same amount of time it takes to play ONE of the newer GoW games, you know there is an issue.

I just hope they don't make it third person shooter over the shoulder like the new games, as yeah the new games are built around throwing Leviathan... but the Blades of Chaos have no need for it (aiming and throwing the blades was dumb, and not really necessary)

Last edited:
They are gonna remake all the PS3-PS4 catalog except for the only one that matters.
There are a ton of good exclusive games still stuck on the Playstation 3. Here are a few:
  • Infamous 1 and 2
  • White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2
  • Warhawk and Starhawk
  • Socom 3 and 4
  • Killzone 1, 2, and 3
  • Resistance 1, 2, and 3
  • Motorstorm 1, 2, and 3
  • Little Big Planet 1, 2, and Kart Racing
  • Ratchet and Clank 4, 5, and 6
  • Sly Cooper Collection
  • Twisted Metal PS3
  • God of War: Ascension
  • Folklore

There are a ton of good exclusive games still stuck on the Playstation 3. Here are a few:
  • Infamous 1 and 2
  • White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2
  • Warhawk and Starhawk
  • Socom 3 and 4
  • Killzone 1, 2, and 3
  • Resistance 1, 2, and 3
  • Motorstorm 1, 2, and 3
  • Little Big Planet 1, 2, and Kart Racing
  • Ratchet and Clank 4, 5, and 6
  • Sly Cooper Collection
  • Twisted Metal PS3
  • God of War: Ascension
  • Folklore

All great games but we either need to get sequels or spin offs to them or new IPs.

I'm not a fan of remakes and it seems that's all Naughty Dog have been doing. They're creatively bankrupt or perhaps they have too much freedom at PlayStation Studios to do what they want so they play it safe by remaking everything.

What other than Uncharted and The Last of Us have they done in the past 2 generations?

All great games but we either need to get sequels or spin offs to them or new IPs.

I'm not a fan of remakes and it seems that's all Naughty Dog have been doing. They're creatively bankrupt or perhaps they have too much freedom at PlayStation Studios to do what they want so they play it safe by remaking everything.
My response to this will always remain the same:

1. Don't ever use the full main dev teams to do remakes or remasters
  2. Get another team to do texture updates or a bluepoint-esque remake (keeping the same level/enemy structure and type of gameplay just updated)
  3. Or aside from step 2(if lower budget), get that other team to either do the porting or remastering
Most publishers do things this way. Naughty Dog decided to ignore number 1 to personally take part in working on TLOU 1 remake, and that's partly why people on this forum are scared of more remakes and remasters.

The other 98% of the time when devs and publishers follow the above 3 steps, I prefer well done ports (like the Castlevania collection for example), remasters and remakes. It gives the remaster/remake teams a chance to do potentially good work and learn more about the ins and outs of highly requested games, and it also gives their teams work and a cashflow because there are a ton of unplayed great games out there that would benefit from a second run.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I need people to explain me why we're getting Physint if Sony closed Japan Studio.
About the third point, SIE itself isn't even part of Sweet Baby's collaborators unlike, say, GAF's fan-favorite Valve, lmao.[/SPOILER]

T-Cake

I like uncharted but come on. How about making new IP instead of rehashing all the the ones from ps3 forever? Risk averse AAA money milking

I'd rather they do this. Then they can get rid of the PS3 cloud streaming infrastructure and we'll have native versions of games that are currently stuck in limbo.

Dr. Suchong

Soul crushingly boring news.
"yOu dOn'T hAvE tO bUy iT"
What good does that rhetoric do me or anyone else who yearn for something other than lazy, uninspired regurgitation?

Without this game, I would likened ND as the Crash Bandicoot studio that was. Never played the Jak games prior but this was the game that made me a fan. If RE4 gets a remake then this game should.

And to be honest, the game deserves a much needed revamp with all the U4 open-arena and length.

And please fix the boat section as well.

Agent X

The Vita Uncharted was mediocre.

I disagree. I still think it's a rather great game overall, even if certain "Vita gimmick" aspects were a little half-baked.

It served as a tech demo showing off the graphical prowess, and using touch controls to perform simple tasks like run your finger along the gold bricks and watch Drake climb.

The concept of "tracing your climbing path on the screen with your finger" had its good and bad points. On one hand, it did make the climbing portions easier by allowing you to "confirm" a safe path. I'm sure that some novice players appreciated the help. On the other hand, this sort of "automatic" climbing also kind of "disconnected" the player from the interaction and weakened the intensity of the moment.

That's why a new version of Uncharted: Golden Abyss would be a welcome sight these days. The developer could keep the "gimmicks" that worked well, while changing or discarding the ones that didn't work well and/or can't be easily adapted to the PS5's control scheme.

In this case, "tracing the path" could be discarded, and then the player would simply use the traditional method of climbing, just as in the other Uncharted games. That's adaptation.

Motion controls to aim (because it was terrible otherwise), or help Drake walk across a beam/log.

The motion aiming actually worked extremely well in this game. I certainly want them to retain that particular option.

So this is the original source of Uncharted Remake :

The files were datamined from a 2020 build of TLOU 2 and VASG were tagged. Schreier in 2021 said that VAGS wanted to do a remake of the first Uncharted but it would have been way too expensive so they choose to go with TLOU.

There is probably no Remake of Uncharted just that VAGS worked on it before choosing to go with TLOU.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So this is the original source of Uncharted Remake :

The files were datamined from a 2020 build of TLOU 2 and VASG were tagged. Schreier in 2021 said that VAGS wanted to do a remake of the first Uncharted but it would have been way too expensive so they choose to go with TLOU.

There is probably no Remake of Uncharted just that VAGS worked on it before choosing to go with TLOU.

Dumb question.

Why would UC files or tags be in a LOU game?

The motion aiming actually worked extremely well in this game. I certainly want them to retain that particular option.
Pretty much all Vita games that require aiming. The dual sticks are good but they tend to overshoot because of the limited path from center to the edge.

sachos

Crazy thing is if we take into account time as a gauge to measure if a Remake should be done or not, this would be more deserving than the Demon's Souls or Dead Space Remake. And almost equal to RE4 Remake.

John Wick

Why? Why? Why?
This needs to stop. I want new games not old ones rehashed. ND should be making Uncharted 5. This strategy is terrible.

Crazy thing is if we take into account time as a gauge to measure if a Remake should be done or not, this would be more deserving than the Demon's Souls or Dead Space Remake. And almost equal to RE4 Remake.

I think both time, circumstances, and how a game holds up are all important factors.

That these games are going to PC for the first time basically means they're all up for remakes. Those are the circumstances.

That PS3 sold relatively poorly means these games have a lot more potential. Those are the circumstances.

That most PS3 games are at least 10+ years old right now hits the general time quota.

And simply many of these games don't hold up UC1 didn't hold up as soon as UC2 came out.

Ar¢tos

they didn’t sell then, you want them to invest in them again?
I would buy them again.
Puppeteer Is an amazing platformer with a great sound and Folklore, despite the repetitive 2nd part, was a great game.
Puppeteer only needs a re-release a resolution bump, it already looks great.

Puppeteer was released at the end of ps3, it was sent to die, there are a lot more gamers now and we're mid gen. A re-release would make some profit and cost a shit ton less than Uc1 remake.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Why come up with new games when you can take old ones and just do them again? People will buy them anyway and studios don't have to make any effort.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I mean, this news is obviously a bad joke, and another 'remaster' is kind of depressing considering Sony's output this gen.

But, if you have to remake something, I find it personally insulting that the something isn't Tokyo Jungle.

Perrott

Gold Member
If true, fuck off

JUST. FUCK. RIGHT. OFF !!!

This studio is a fucking joke.

Sorry for the F bombs but this pisses me off. We're how many years into the new gen and what does ND have to show for it? Fuck all.
Well, they've had two pieces of concept art from The Last Of Us Online, which was cancelled very late in development. So you really can't be that harsh on them when this is the same thing that happened to Santa Monica last generation once they made the call to cancel Darkside (slated for 2015), which meant that we didn't get a new release from them until 2018's God of War.

But unlike Santa Monica, this generation at least Naughty Dog got the The Last Of Us Part I (and a couple of remasters) out of the door before the entire TLOU Online situation, and Neil's team has likely been working on the next big thing for three years now, so we might hear about that project later this year.

Plus, it's very likely that this hypothetical Uncharted remake wouldn't be 100% a Naughty Dog effort but likely Visual Arts' next remake effort following the completion of Part I in 2022.

Top Bottom