• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuri's building a new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
My current rig is aging, and I NEED MORE! here's the new rig i'm building for myself tomorrow:

AMD ATHLON64 3400+ BOX <- should be decent. I cant find 3800+ locally

AMD64 S754 ASUS K8V-SE DLX K8T800 <- asus makes quality stuff. usually

ATI AGP RADEON X800PRO 256M BOX <- still pondering using my old 9800 pro, but meh I feel i shoulnt drag down the performances of this new bomb

2x CORSAIR CVS 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 512MB <- Maybe i should invest in faster ram. But for the moment, thats it

SATA 36.0 W.D 10K RPM RAPTOR WD360GD <- I already got around 500gb on my current network, this new box will be videogames only. So its not like i need 200gb of storage here.

CASE ATX ANTEC SLK3700BQE 350W <- it's an alright case

DVD DRIVE 16X LG IDE DVD-8160BB <- ultra generic. I ready got a dvd-r on my current rig, so i dont need anything else.

I'll use the built in soundcard/network, etc etc, since nforce2 stuff is usually adequate. Comments?

myzhi

Banned
The 6800 GT (16 pipes) smokes the X800 Pro (12 pipes). And, the fact that many 6800 GT easily o/c to Ultra speeds, it's a no brainer. Mine BFG 6800 GT OC does 427/1.19.

Vormund

Get better ram.

I got 1GB TWINX XL PC3200

timings of 2-2-2-5

Works well with my A64 3000+

(btw I know I don't have dual channel for anyone about to say it)

OH just noticed, you'll probably need a better PSU, I had problems with a 350W.

Try for 450W up and a quality one.

Mashing

I really don't see the benefit in having ehanced latency ram... of course I've never used that type of ram before... is it really that much faster than standard cas latency 2 ram?

shuri

Banned
My current rig is an amd 2600 xp, 1.5gb of ram. And a 9800 pro. I mean, its still alright, but I'm a framerate and first person shooter whore, and anything less than perfect is unacceptable

NotMSRP

How much is this costing you? I really want to upgrade but I can't spend so much money for stuff that's going to devalue in the next few months.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Your not going to get a 3800+ because they don't exist for socket 754, which your mobo seems to be.

If you're spending as much for a 3400 + socket 754, I'd recommend spending a tad more for a 3500+ socket 939.

There's a much bigger difference between a S754 3400+ and S939 3500+ than there is between a S939 3500+ and S939 3800+.

Get better ram.

I got 1GB TWINX XL PC3200

timings of 2-2-2-5

No, just no. RAM latencies make such little difference. The money would be much better used elsewhere.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
How much is this costing you? I really want to upgrade but I can't spend so much money for stuff that's going to devalue in the next few months.

I'd wait 2 months because when Intel's 64 bit processors come out, AMD 64 S939 won't be so expensive.

The 3800 really isn't worth it IMO. I bought it, but only because there were no 3500's around when I wanted to buy. The difference between the two is minimal, and you'll be saving around $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom