• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Transmission live stream set for October 19, featuring latest updates on the Silent Hill series

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
This is whats fake; (not saying the literal art piece is fake, and its a great piece of art)
NGR7Fpq.jpg

Someone used the art piece to make a fake Silent Hill 2 remake thing. I don't think its from the actual remake. James is blond in those leaked pictures.
Ohhh maybe that embed messed up, I didn't see the mock up. Yeah, fuck the person that made that, lmao.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Prediction

Silent Hill movie (fuck it)
Silent Hill mobile game
Silent Hill novel

Fans riot and take to the streets
I wouldn't even be surprised or disappointed. I think I'd just sink back and regress into wherever I was before the announcement with this series. SH fans are used to this.
I’ve been thinking it was a movie announcement since the Director was hyping things, and then more so when Elijah Wood retweeted.

But, I wouldn’t mind being surprised either.

Arachnid

Last game I played was homecoming. Skipped downpour. Looked like shit
Surprisingly, actually a pretty big upgrade from Homecoming IMO. It had the complete reverse problem to what HC did. HC had good combat, and creature design, but kind of a shit story with lazy atmosphere/design of the otherworld and SH ripped straight from the movies (still somewhat scary thanks to that and the creature design though). Also, super linear.

Downpour was more original in design (pretty cool rain motif for the otherworld) and had a fantastic story (that kind of fumbled the end since it retroactively changed facts to make endings fit; this means it only had one actually good ending), but incredibly shit/janky combat (not the biggest sin for an SH game if you've ever played 1-4) and abysmal enemy design (huge sin for an SH game) that kind of drained the fear factor (huge sin for a horror game). Just to reiterate, holy shit is the combat janky. I compared it to 1-4 for you earlier, but I think it managed to be worse.

More positives though: It also attempts to be open world-ish with you having the option to investigate certain buildings and mysteries (kind of like how EW2 did its sections), which is something I really want to see more of in SH, so points for that too. Also, I like lore expansion, and Downpour provides a solid amount of this, so I give it points here too. Downpour let you explore a new section of SH: a tourist part of the town with bigger buildings and shops and pretty cool architecture that gives the town more personality (and a few other new spots). It also introduces a sentient entity to the town that kind of roams around and isn't hostile (which is kind of a cool take vs the evil gods and whatnot that feed on us and more lore; this is hit or miss but I think most fans actually really liked this entities addition).

It's worth playing once for the story, main character (Murphy is one of my favorite protagonists in the series; poor dude had it rough), and originality (actually building on series lore instead of playing it safe). If you made it through HC and actually liked it, you'll enjoy this much more.

EDIT: Also, the soundtrack from the new composer was fantastic. I'll always prefer Akira, but this dude brought a new feel to it all and nailed it. Unfortunately, he died a few years ago so we'll never get him in another SH. I wouldn't have minded bringing him back for a track here and there. There's a pretty solid snipet of his type of tracks in the E3 trailer below. You might recognize something similar from the Dishonored series. That was also him.

Last edited:

Arachnid

After the LAME “Silent Hill HD Collection”

My hype is zero

We didn’t even get SH1

This BETTER be good

Stealth drop 1-3 remasters in 4k with RT tomorrow and SH5 releasing Halloween
*1-4 remasters, but preach

I've had this same take for a looong time. The new games won’t satisfy a lot of the hardcore fan base. I guarantee you that. SH needs to change in some drastic ways for a new audience to follow it and for us to get new games. Our fanbase is the most purist one I’ve ever seen, and the old games will forever be held up to an untouchable standard that new entires won’t be able to reach. Especially 2 (I understand this case; greatest story in all of gaming, and it hasn’t been touched since release).

People just need to judge new games by their own merit. I expect them to change tons of aspects. Will you flip out if we don’t get an otherworld? Does fog need to be there? Just let go of expectations and keep an open mind IMO. Personally, I’m hoping for something more original than retreading old ground.

Last edited:
*1-4 remasters, but preach

I've had this same take for a looong time. The new games won’t satisfy a lot of the hardcore fan base. I guarantee you that. SH needs to change in some drastic ways for a new audience to follow it and for us to get new games. Our fanbase is the most purist one I’ve ever seen, and the old games will forever be held up to an untouchable standard that new entires won’t be able to reach. Especially 2 (I understand this case; greatest story in all of gaming, and it hasn’t been touched since release).

People just need to judge new games by their own merit. I expect them to change tons of aspects. Will you flip out if we don’t get an otherworld? Does fog need to be there? Just let go of expectations and keep an open mind IMO. Personally, I’m hoping for something more original than retreading old ground.
I have a gut feeling that we are in for Elijah Wood and cherry blossom monsters.

If they change too much and go in a completely different direction, why still call it Silent Hill. There must be some similarities otherwise it’s not a Silent Hill game, but just a random horror game.

Maddux4164

Surprisingly, actually a pretty big upgrade from Homecoming IMO. It had the complete reverse problem to what HC did. HC had good combat, and creature design, but kind of a shit story with lazy atmosphere/design of the otherworld and SH ripped straight from the movies (still somewhat scary thanks to that and the creature design though). Also, super linear.

Downpour was more original in design (pretty cool rain motif for the otherworld) and had a fantastic story (that kind of fumbled the end since it retroactively changed facts to make endings fit; this means it only had one actually good ending), but incredibly shit/janky combat (not the biggest sin for an SH game if you've ever played 1-4) and abysmal enemy design (huge sin for an SH game) that kind of drained the fear factor (huge sin for a horror game). Just to reiterate, holy shit is the combat janky. I compared it to 1-4 for you earlier, but I think it managed to be worse.

More positives though: It also attempts to be open world-ish with you having the option to investigate certain buildings and mysteries (kind of like how EW2 did it's sections), which is something I really want to see more of in SH, so points for that too. Also, I like lore expansion, and Downpour provides a solid amount of this, so I give it points here too. Downpour let you explore a new section of SH: a tourist part of the town with bigger buildings and shops and pretty cool architecture that gives the town more personality (and a few other new spots). It also introduces a sentient entity to the town that kind of roams around and isn't hostile (which is kind of a cool take vs the evil gods and whatnot that feed on us and more lore; this is hit or miss but I think most fans actually really liked this entities addition).

It's worth playing once for the story, main character (Murphy is one of my favorite protagonists in the series; poor dude had it rough), and originality (actually building on series lore instead of playing it safe). If you made it through HC and actually liked it, you'll enjoy this much more.

EDIT: Also, the soundtrack from the new composer was fantastic. I'll always prefer Akira, but this dude brought a new feel to it all and nailed it. Unfortunately, he died a few years ago so we'll never get him in another SH. I wouldn't have minded bringing him back for a track here and there. There's a pretty solid snipet of his type of tracks in the E3 trailer below. You might recognize something similar from the Dishonored series. That was also him.

Anywhere to play these games now?

JimRyanGOAT

So is Team Silent making an exclusive PlayStation SH title?

I wonder if Kojima is making DS2 but also helping Team Silent with this new SH

Also then that begs more questions
  1. What is Bloobers Silent hill game?
  2. Who's making the remaster (If its exists)
  3. MGS6?
  4. MGS Remake?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
So is Team Silent making an exclusive PlayStation SH title?

I wonder if Kojima is making DS2 but also helping Team Silent with this new SH

Also then that begs more questions
  1. What is Bloobers Silent hill game?
  2. Who's making the remaster (If its exists)
  3. MGS6?
  4. MGS Remake?
All this info is out there

vpance

Wish these new SH would have amazing graphics. At least at the same level of impact that SH2 had at the time.

Arachnid

Anywhere to play these games now?
If you want to play downpour, get your hands on a disk and it will be backwards compatible on xbox. It isn't available for buying/download digitally. Downpour is basically unavailable otherwise (without old systems), which blows my mind.

Homecoming is easy. It's for say on Xbox BC and steam.

Do you have a specific game in mind? Or do you mean the two games discussed in that quote?

I intensely dislike this dude, even if he's credible in some areas.

Anyway

IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR HASAN TO JUMP OUT OF A BLUE BOX AND BE HIDEO KOJIMA, THE FATHER OF MY CHILDREN

#TeamReal
How come? As far as leakers go, I've always been a fan. He's accurate (sometimes by years) and he seems overall nice and level.

Main negatives is that I can see is backlash against him gets to him on some level (that time he "retired" from leaking for like a week and when he spread misinformation about the PS version of a game to to be a dick once). But overall? Despite how harsh people have been towards him and downright abusive/antagonistic (knowing how immature the RE fanbase is and how pretentious and pessimistic/doubting the SH fanbase is), he seems like he's been alright.

Also, the only thing I care about from leakers at the end of the day? Accuracy. He has that. Nothing else matters out of their mouth IMO

Last edited:

Vick

More positives though: It also attempts to be open world-ish with you having the option to investigate certain buildings and mysteries (kind of like how EW2 did it's sections), which is something I really want to see more of in SH, so points for that too. Also, I like lore expansion, and Downpour provides a solid amount of this, so I give it points here too. Downpour let you explore a new section of SH: a tourist part of the town with bigger buildings and shops and pretty cool architecture that gives the town more personality (and a few other new spots). It also introduces a sentient entity to the town that kind of roams around and isn't hostile (which is kind of a cool take vs the evil gods and whatnot that feed on us and more lore; this is hit or miss but I think most fans actually really liked this entities addition).

Absolutely, I actually loved Downpour. Maybe not necessarily as a Silent Hill, but was just the perfect survival horror game I needed in 2012.

The atmosphere is top notch, the town and every location as well (exploration felt immaculate in this game), story is really good, and it even managed to scare the shit out of me at times.

Enemy design was terrible yes, and same goes for performances and combat.. but I still love the game and its score nonetheless, this Licht piece is a goddamn masterpiece that's never going to leave my head.

Arachnid

Absolutely, I actually loved Downpour. Maybe not necessarily as a Silent Hill, but was just the perfect survival horror game I needed in 2012.

The atmosphere is top notch, the town and every location as well (exploration felt immaculate in this game), story is really good, and it even managed to scare the shit out of me at times.

Enemy design was terrible yes, and same goes for performances and combat.. but I still love the game and its score nonetheless, this Licht piece is a goddamn masterpiece that's never going to leave my head.

My fkn guy. Downpour is definitely underrated. I am glad that most fans place it above HC though.

You know what? I'm going to do another playthrough after my exams in a week. That and a Room playthrough will be my celebration games for the event tomorrow.

Unfortunately though, your link is broken for the Licht score on my end. Which one is it??

As long as we're sharing Downpour tracks though, the main theme was fire.

Last edited:

Keihart

Unless the game looks really cool or there are some reputable names behind a new Silen Hill, i literally have no reason to care.
Just having a town called "Silen Hill" or having a horror game with a "other world" theme is not enough.

that being said, i hope it's some Kojipro shit or something.

Last edited:

Vick

My fkn guy. Downpour is definitely underrated. I am glad that most fans place it above HC though.
I remember how much I had to fight to defend it at the time, but I always gladly did because Downpour was obviously made with an awful lot of passion by honest developers. It had a soul.

Unfortunately though, your link is broken for the Licht score on my end. Which one is it??

As long as we're sharing Downpour tracks though, the main theme was fire.

It's Bus to Nowhere buddy. Always stood out to me. That explosion at 2:02 and the build-up before.. *chef kiss*

nkarafo

Silent Hill 2 is a game that NEEDS a proper remake, for the sake of video game preservation. It's too important to not receive one.
If preservation is the issue, a simple re-release with bug fixes and ability to run properly on modern hardware would be more than enough.

Or the Night Dive Studios remaster treatment.

There is also a fan-made project that improves the old PC version.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Is there a Hasan Kahmaran picture posted in this thread already?

I feel like there should be a Hasan picture in all pages of this thread.

nkarafo

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, aka perfection and best fan-made gaming project along with RE4HD.
Wow, they made an online installer?

Last time i used this i had to individually download a bunch of files and copy-paste/rename stuff here and there. I remember the process being cumbersome.

Top Bottom