• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword 4k remaster by one guy looks better than Nintendo's remaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm the first breath of the wild fanboy defending the game always, but also the first one saying how lazy skyward sword hd is considering the price and the development team. I downloaded this 4k texture pack for Dolphin emulator and looks way better than the remaster. Also it's made by one guy.
Not trying to start a war or anything but even Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD had better new textures/effects. (rant over)

he also has other remasters

Majora's Mask

Twilight Princess

Super Mario Sunshine

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Yea I feel that nintendo has never really prioritized graphical display in their games, but I don't think people really buy nintendo for the latest and greatest looks either. Me included tbh. Sure, I definitely expect some kind of improvement from generation to generation of console, but I get gameplay experiences out of nintendo that honeslty make me forget graphical supremacy. It is impressive, these fanmade passes, though.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Yea I feel that nintendo has never really prioritized graphical display in their games, but I don't think people really buy nintendo for the latest and greatest looks either. Me included tbh. Sure, I definitely expect some kind of improvement from generation to generation of console, but I get gameplay experiences out of nintendo that honeslty make me forget graphical supremacy. It is impressive, these fanmade passes, though.
I never buy Nintendo for the graphics but $60 for skyward Sword is free money for them. At least the mario collection had 3 games!

I love Nintendo but they're lazy af and making shitloads of money with the least amount of effort possible

TL;DR:

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Let's compare...
Trailer:

Screenshot comparison:

Video comparison:

Last edited by a moderator:

Xdrive05

I've been playing Henriko's stuff lately: OoT3D, MM3D, TP and SS.

His texture packs are fantastic, and they make for the very best versions of all of these games. MM3D has hacks you can enable to fix the stuff that was broken in the 3DS version vs the N64 original, too.

He has a lot of custom texture work in there, and the rest of it is AI upsampled IIRC.

NOTE: The usual emulation caveats still apply. Only partake if you own the originals, prepare to put some time into controller configuration (especially if you want motion controls, and especially for SS!), etc.

Xdrive05

It looks better because it's not limited by it's hardware. That's it.

Yeah, I think that's the truth. I remember being extremely disappointed by the visuals when SS came out on Wii. Even TP was starkly dated when it first came out, mostly because of the 480p resolution after most gamers had already been playing Xbox 360 for two years by that point.

Fast forward 5 years for SS launch, and it felt positively archaic to go back to 480p in 2011 for Christs sake. It felt two whole generations too old at launch. And it kind of was.

Last edited:

Fbh

Not surpirisng. Most Nintendo ports this gen are lazy as fuck.
They know they'll sell well regardless of how much effort they put into the port, so why bother?

Other than a few notable exceptions, Nintendo's "remasters" are incredibly lazy and feel half-baked at best. Wind Waker was pretty great, but they've done a good job with the remakes in general and Wind Waker, OoT, MM are pretty good examples of them "remaking" the games. Their straight up "ports" are fine with SM3DW/DK:Tropical Freeze, but to try and pass off Super Mario Galaxy, 64 or Sunshine as remasters was incredible lazy, Skyward Sword seems to be the same effort as well, but I'd argue retooling the controls will do a good job of bringing in interest.

I'd rather they exist than not, but I also just won't buy it for the sake of it either if they are gonna put such a pitiful amount of effort into the release. I really wanted to play Galaxy again, but I wasn't gonna pay for that half baked remaster especially if they weren't gonna let me buy it à la carte. At that point, I may as well just replay it with Dolphin/Cemu.

So I think it's good for people that may have never played these games before, even if they could have been done better, but I won't buy them again if they aren't gonna actually do much work in the rerelease.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Holy shit those texture packs are great. Some of those twilight princess scenes are beautiful. I'll look into getting these.

mcjmetroid

It doesn't matter what this game looks like..believe me it needs wayyy more work than just a graphical update.

And if they aren't willing to even improve textures you can be sure there not willing to improvement the gameplay in any meaningful way.

Or theylll put QOL improvements behind amibos. Remember that?
Here's a link in case you don't remember.

I'll be very interested but probably not surprised with reviews with this HD release. Based on what I've seen and the price is going for it.

I cannot think I would give it anything more than a 6 if not less.

I await the usual halfhearted 8.0s though cause Nintendo

jigglet

Banned
Depressing. I'm one of the few that really enjoyed SS. It deserved more than what Nintendo is doing. Fucking hell.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well no shit OP.
Are you new to nintendo’s “remasters” ?

fucking bottom feeder shit scraping ports.
Low effort shit made to get as much money as possible for the lowest effort..

it has fast travel locked behind a 30 dollar dlc. Amiibo.

just look at nintendo’s last effort. 3D allstars 🤣 the start menu for the 3 games looked like a powerpoint presentation.

Rudius

SNES, N64 and GameCube were different, and better in my opinion.

Dampf

You are right. It baffles my how low effort Nintendo's remasters were lately. One fan did way more than them, which is pathetic.

lol@ people saying this is because the Switch is limited.

This is a game from 2011 that is not using any of the modern rendering technique a game like for example BOTW uses. The textures are much lower res as well. The Switch could eeaasssilly handle a full fledged remake.

Nintendo just doesn't want to spend much lately, because ppl buy it anway. This won't change even if they had PS5 level hardware to program for.

Last edited:
I've never owned a Nintendo console. Ever.

Only Sega, Xbox, Sony, and PC.

I really should start emulating Nintendo games on my PC because i'm starting to think i'm totally fucking missing out on some great games.

JimboJones

I've never owned a Nintendo console. Ever.

Only Sega, Xbox, Sony, and PC.

I really should start emulating Nintendo games on my PC because i'm starting to think i'm totally fucking missing out on some great games.
Defs check them out, if you even have a decent PC from the last 5 years you can get right up to the Wii era games really easily.
I got one of those mayflash sensor bars to use my Wii remotes with but others have had success just remapping stuff to big standard controllers.

Defs check them out, if you even have a decent PC from the last 5 years you can get right up to the Wii era games really easily.
I got one of those mayflash sensor bars to use my Wii remotes with but others have had success just remapping stuff to big standard controllers.
Oh dude, I think i'm going to start N64 or NDS games to be honest. Or at the very least WiIU games.

Is Switch hard to emulate on PC? As in, is it taxing for a pc to emulate a switch? Does that even exist yet?

Last edited:

rubenburgt

Let's compare...
Trailer:

Screenshot comparison:

Video comparison:

Yep. I was right.
I do prefer the Wii version because it looks less crisp. It looks more softer and fits the painting aesthetics better.

The full price for the switch version isn't worth it if you'd ask me.

John Wick

OP Nintendo love ripping off their fans. They make minimal effort remasters/remakes and charge maximum price. Their fans love getting bummed and enjoy paying more. So both parties are happy, it's a win win for Nintendo.......

hemo memo

Gold Member
The guy is working out of passion and Nintendo working for money. It is obvious that the guy work will be better. Sadly Nintendo will kill this faster than you can say screw Nintendo.

Ezquimacore

Banned
The guy is working out of passion and Nintendo working for money. It is obvious that the guy work will be better. Sadly Nintendo will kill this faster than you can say screw Nintendo.
They can't kill a texture pack, that's the beauty of it! Also the guy made the game playable with normal gamepads before Nintendo, using the right analog for motion controls just like Nintendo did.

JimboJones

Oh dude, I think i'm going to start N64 or NDS games to be honest. Or at the very least WiIU games.

Is Switch hard to emulate on PC? As in, is it taxing for a pc to emulate a switch? Does that even exist yet?
Honestly I haven't tried, I own a switch so I haven't had much motivation to try it but it looks like they are making a lot of progress but id still expect some jank with a lot of switch games emulated.

hemo memo

Gold Member
They can't kill a texture pack, that's the beauty of it! Also the guy made the game playable with normal gamepads before Nintendo, using the right analog for motion controls just like Nintendo did.
I remember Nintendo screaming back then how it was not possible to have traditional controls for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom