• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slay The Princess | Review Thread

1rok4qDS.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Slay the Princess

Platforms:
  • PC (Oct 23, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Black Tabby Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 90 average - 95% recommended.

8avnMpt.png

Metacritic - 90 Average based on 22 Critic Reviews

image.png
nBkgdrR.png

Critic Reviews

But Why Tho? - Katherine Kong - 7 / 10
Slay the Princess is a straightforward choice-driven visual novel that slowly breaks at the seams revealing a rabbit hole of possibilities that prey on player anxieties and paranoia.

PC Invasion - Alexa BeMent - 10 / 10
Mostly lives up to the promises and hype built around the game. An all at once engaging, intriguing, funny, satisfying, and deep experience.

The Outerhaven Productions - Andrew Agress - 4 / 5
Slay the Princess is a must-play for fans of branching narratives. Choices have consequences, and how much horror you encounter falls to you. Along the way, enjoy the macabre visuals and audio. While the game can't put a bow on every decision, replaying for extra routes proves a royal pleasure. Turn down the lights, cozy up with a nice cup of tea (may I suggest blood orange?), and decide whether or not to commit regicide.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10
There isn’t a single thing I don’t like about Slay the Princess. The presentation is beautiful, the story is fantastic and moving, the voice acting of amazing characters is done phenomenally well, and the branching paths of the story give you what feels like unlimited possibilities. If you’ve got the time, take a trip down to a cabin and see if you can slay the princess — or see if you can save her and discover the secrets of this strange place.

The Indie Informer - Alexa Bement - 9.5 / 10
It’s one of those games you have to experience in order to understand. The developers insist early on that the title is a love story, and I can’t argue with that...Though, somehow through all the layers and twists, decisions and realizations, the game’s core really is as simple as the title suggests. I’m here to slay the princess. I can only awe at a team that can make something so simultaneously simple and complex.

ABOUT THIS GAME​

You're on a path in the woods, and at the end of that path is a cabin. And in the basement of that cabin is a Princess.

You're here to slay her. If you don't, it will be the end of the world.

She will do everything in her power to stop you. She'll charm, and she'll lie, and she'll promise you the world, and if you let her, she'll kill you a dozen times over. You can't let that happen. Don't forget, the fate of the world rests on your shoulders.

You're not going to listen to him, are you? We're supposed to save princesses, not slay them...

Features

• Fully voice-acted by the impeccable Jonathan Sims and Nichole Goodnight.
  • Hand-penciled art - every background and sprite is drawn traditionally with pencil and paper by Ignatz-winning graphic novelist Abby Howard.
  • A princess. She's very bad and you have to get rid of her for all our sakes.
  • No, the Princess isn't a cosmic horror. She's just an ordinary human Princess, and you can definitely slay her as long as you put your mind to it.
  • Don't even think about trying to romance her. It won't end well for you.
  • Hopefully you won't die. But if you do, you'll die a lot. Be careful and stay focused on the task at hand!
  • Time loops No time loops. Don't be ridiculous. Time is a strictly linear concept and it certainly doesn't "loop," whatever that's supposed to mean.
  • A branching narrative where what you say and what you believe determines both who you are and how the story unfolds.
  • A new roleplaying experience from the creators of Scarlet Hollow.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Imagine my disappointment when I thought this was some kind of sequel or DLC to Slay the Spire 😭

Top Bottom